what all can you be sensitive too?

(oops, i meant "to" instead of "too" in the subject line haha)
I just started my CG journey and have been hearing a lot of stuff about sensitivities to certain things like:

protein
glycerin
magnesium sulfate
oils
honey

Are there any other things your hair can be sensitive to/dislike?

I've read a lot about protein sensitivity; your hair just gets really dry and frizzy and crappy, right?
Are these symptoms the same for sensitivities to those other things? If not, how do you tell if your hair doesn't like them?
2b/3a
dry, bra strap length, still trying to figure out porosity/texture and whatnot
hair goals: less frizz, more volume
very humid climate :sad1:
modified CG as of April 2009! :occasion7:
cowash/rinse out/leave-in: VO5 (all kinds except moisture milks for now), Suave Aloe Vera &Water Lily
low-poo: Giovanni 50/50
styler: LA looks curls gel
techniques: plopping for 10 or 15 mins, pixiecurl diffusing
sensitivities: ??

Comments

• LisaF1163LisaF1163 Posts: 1,079Registered Users
    Mag sulfate (which you already have on the list) can also make your hair very dry. That's how I figured out I was sensitive to both protein and mag sulfate - I cut protein out, and was still dry. I cut out mag sulfate, and my hair completely turned around - that's how I figured I was sensitive to both.

But that much being said, you might not be sensitive to either, which leaves you open to a lot more products than those of us who are. If your hair isn't going crazy, then don't worry! :happy6:
    CG since 1/09. Protein and Mag Sulfate sensitive.
    Hair Type - 3A.
    Co-wash - Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner.
    Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
    Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
    Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.
  • LittleMermaid23LittleMermaid23 Posts: 32Registered Users
    thanks! haha well it's not going crazy yet, but i've only been CG for a few days so i'm anticipating some weirdness in the near future!

also, how long does it take to notice these things happening?
    2b/3a
    cowash/rinse out/leave-in: VO5 (all kinds except moisture milks for now), Suave Aloe Vera &Water Lily
    anybody?
    2b/3a
    *bump* (sorry, i'm really not trying to be obnoxious-just curious!
    2b/3a
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Most any ingredient can cause problems for someone. If nothing seems to be bothering your hair, don't worry about it. If something seems to be, it's a matter of weeding things out to find what it might be. You may find your hair's dislikes are totally unique to you.

Mineral oil, petrolatum, castor oil, polyquaterniums, parabens and wheat protein are all things that bother some. The first two are really not good for anyone - they coat the hair and prevent moisture from getting in and require sulfates to remove them. Some people love castor oil, especially if its PEG/PGG modified so that it's water soluble. Polyquats and wheat protein give some people dry, straw-like hair - any protein can for some people, but wheat can be particularly evil. I'm not sure of the negative effects of parabens.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file