HELP! I need more moisture!!

tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I just can't seem to get enough moisture into my hair. It's always ridiculously dry and frizzy. I've started doing a co-wash with vo5 kiwi lime and rinse out with GVPCB and as a leave in and my hair seems even drier than when I was using shampoo! What can I do? It's sooo dry and frizzy!!

I've done EVOO treatments, cholestral, I bought some FOTE AVG yesterday and I'm going to try it out. What about glycerine? I live in central Florida and it's always humid here. Would that help? Any help would be appreciated but any recommendations need to be drugstore or sally's please!
CG - 3/27/09
3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
Styling: lube and BRHG

Comments

• RupertsWifeRupertsWife Posts: 492Registered Users
    Well I, by no means, consider myself a curly hair expert but I'll get the ball rolling and hopefully others will jump in.
    First a few more questions, how long have you been CG and how would you describe your hair type? Also what if any other products are you using besides the ones mentioned, you may have a hidden 'cone somewhere.
    GVPCB is great for moisture. I also like Hello Hydration by HE but it does have one water soluble cone in it. I am also a huge fan of shea butter to seal moisture in, oils never worked really well for me, but that doesn't mean they won't for you.
    You may be getting enough moisture but if your hair is very porus it could not be being retained. Have you tried a protein treatment of some sort to see if that makes a difference? I would suggest doing a strand test first.
    The other issue may be you're not getting enough hold. Are you using a gel? I really like LOOB and Fantasia IC Gel (this has glycerine in it).
    HTH

3b/c mix; mixture of fine, med. and coarse texture with med-high porosity

Current HG routine: Tresemme Naturals conditioner; AG Fast Food LI; AG Recoil; CJ CIAB = no crunch, lots of body and awesome definition :thumbup:

:rolleyes: Dutchess Daydreamer of the Desert Sands in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    :rolleyes:

http://public.fotki.com/crazycurlz21/
    password:rupert
  • tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've only been CG for three days, but my hair looked much better before I started! I was using cone products but did a final wash with Aloe Rid. The only prodcuts I've been using since going CG is the vo5 kiwi lime, the CVPCB and Just For Me gel, it's an ethnic gel marketed for children, but it's the exact same ingredients as Tresemme's bouncy curls extra hold gel (except it's a dollar cheaper!)- same company makes them both too, no alcohol and no cones. I've only used this once (not a big fan of gel).

I've done light protein treatments like Ion's Effective Care Treatment and it made my hair soft. Did that like three weeks ago. I've done a strand test before and never can really get the results right. I'm sure I might need some protein as I've colored my hair for years but stopped about three months ago. I got a cut about three weeks ago and had all the damage cut out of it. So, other than being really dry and frizzy, it isn't too bad.

I have 3b hair that is coarse. Umm... I'm trying to think what else I should let you know. I think that's everything. Oh! I bought FOTE AVG yesterday and tried that out today. I'm wondering if I should buy some glycerin? Any recommendations on what I should do here? Thanks so much for your help!
    CG - 3/27/09
  • Beachg728Beachg728 Posts: 13Registered Users
    you should try the aussie conditioner, i think its called 3 minute miracle deeeeep. i dont leave it in for 3 minutes but i leave it in and then add products. it feels really soft and smooth, and gets rid of dry ends
    Ok, so I did a strand test again tonight. It stretched just a very little bit before it snapped like a twig. So, I'm guessing I need more moisture.

I think the VO5 kiwi lime isn't working for me so I got some Suave coconut. Right now I've got a DT on my head...Ion moisture treatment. It does have some protien in it tho.

What are good moisture deep treatments? I have some GVPCB, I have the ion moisture treatment, I have BTZ last call masque, wella kolestral, and cantu shea butter leave in conditioner. Would any of these work? Would one be better than the others?
    CG - 3/27/09
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    Beachg728 wrote: »
    you should try the aussie conditioner, i think its called 3 minute miracle deeeeep. i dont leave it in for 3 minutes but i leave it in and then add products. it feels really soft and smooth, and gets rid of dry ends

Just warning you that if you're CG, stay far away from the deeeeep conditioner! It contains cyclopentasiloxane, otherwise known as the 'cone of doom.
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • plinkplink Posts: 103Registered Users
    Suave Coconut to co wash is good. Find a store with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-One-Condition-p-55.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-one-condition]Deva One Condition[/buylink] and use that to condition and leave in. You will spend less than buying all those other products that don't work.
    I have finally realized I look my best when my hair tells me how it is going to fall, and I just make suggestions.

3A BSL
    Thanks for the info!! I'm trying to be CG, but if it keeps going like this, I may be re-thinking it!
    CG - 3/27/09
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 697Registered Users Curl Novice
    Three days isn't long enough to see how CG will work for you; for some people, they have a period where their hair gets worse before it gets better. You should definitely stick with it a little longer.
    For a great DT, check out the recipes forum; you can easily make a super DT yourself, using simple food items such as canned coconut milk, olive oil, avocado. Otherwise be very careful to read the labels of your products and make sure you aren't using something with cones or sulfates without realizing it. Hang in there and good luck! I am sure it will get better for you, but it takes most people some time to get it all together. Keep reading to learn more from all the amazing curlies on this site.
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • rosabearrrosabearr Banned Posts: 165Banned Users
    For the last 2 days I have use infusmise23 moisture "step # 3" leave in conditioner and i apply in evening time. I already noticed a lot more moisture in my hair but I think it contains cones but might work for you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file