I am BALD!

avaanstaravaanstar Posts: 171Registered Users Curl Neophyte
haha, well i'm not really bald. But I chopped so much of my hair that i might as well be! My hair is so short and I am kinda going through insecurity.. I feel so much like a man, lol.

My question is... people who had BC's: how did you deal with short hair? Were you insecure? How much did your hair grow per month? What products do you suggest that I put in my hair since it's so short? Any pretty hair styles?

To see what my hair looks like click below. Oh, and this is on my good hair day. It has major shrinkage now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UWqpYMMgns

Comments

• pulchri2dinouspulchri2dinous Posts: 1,014Registered Users
    :toothy8:Haha.

I just looked at your videos and what I had written before probably won't apply, because your hair is WAY longer than I thought. You can try clips, make up, (all I use is eye shadow and lip gloss, maybe mascara) big, pretty earrings and... maybe try cornrowing the front and twisting the back. I subscribed to you by the way, so I can't wait to see what you do :)
    4, fine, low-medium density, low porosity

event.png

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius
  • curly_starscurly_stars Posts: 306Registered Users
    I just wore it out when I did my bc. I wore ear rings and when I first bc'd I was a bit insecure and very nervous about going out in public with it. But as soon as I got past the fear and just tried it, I got use to it and people staring and being curious then I developed a whole other level of confidence.(this is coming from a very shy girl, who has never done anything this daring.) At first I wanted to hide but I say you should just rock headbands and earings and you will be fine. My hair grew a good half and inch or more long a month. Its been a good nine months going on ten since my bc which was last year.
  • CheesyToastCheesyToast Posts: 153Registered Users
    Hey Avaanstar, I had to cut off just as much! like 5 to 6 inches.

Our hair looks exactly the same, mine is a bit longer now since the cut. I did it slowly and finished the cut early March.

It is alright your hair will grow out in no time. Mine grew to bsl/ stretched last year even with the straw ends that only got worse with summer.

I am having fun with my short hair right now, not so much hiding it but keeping the ends protected I dont want anymore splits. I usually wear cute messy buns, and kitchy barrettes. I like making a few curls stick out...and getting it into a bun is hard, because I have thick hair .

I get a hairband for around the head, the thin ones, and use it as a ponytail holder and I put my hair in it and twist it and then tuck my ends in. It makes you look like you have a lot of hair.

I think I am sort of channaling Sophie Okonedo or Corrine Baily Rae.

And you know at first I felt a bit insecure but I know now I have healthy hair and it is my own, and cute and funky in a good way.

How much your hair grows depends on the person, I suspect mine grows the half inch or more, it feels like it grows fast.

As for what products, I would experiment. I try to stay as natural as possible and I dont like heavy scents. I am still experimenting but I use olive oil, always to seal the ends.

I think I will post my Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle rose experience soon.
    OS
    Fine/Medium
    High sheen
    Spongy
    Normal porousity
    Healthy CBL unstretched Dec 2009
    And APL unstretched August 2010
    Fotki updated June 14th 09
  • avaanstaravaanstar Posts: 171Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you guys for the positive feed back!
    Hey Avaanstar, I had to cut off just as much! like 5 to 6 inches.

Our hair looks exactly the same, mine is a bit longer now since the cut. I did it slowly and finished the cut early March.

It is alright your hair will grow out in no time. Mine grew to bsl/ stretched last year even with the straw ends that only got worse with summer.

I am having fun with my short hair right now, not so much hiding it but keeping the ends protected I dont want anymore splits. I usually wear cute messy buns, and kitchy barrettes. I like making a few curls stick out...and getting it into a bun is hard, because I have thick hair .

I get a hairband for around the head, the thin ones, and use it as a ponytail holder and I put my hair in it and twist it and then tuck my ends in. It makes you look like you have a lot of hair.

I think I am sort of channaling Sophie Okonedo or Corrine Baily Rae.

And you know at first I felt a bit insecure but I know now I have healthy hair and it is my own, and cute and funky in a good way.

How much your hair grows depends on the person, I suspect mine grows the half inch or more, it feels like it grows fast.

As for what products, I would experiment. I try to stay as natural as possible and I dont like heavy scents. I am still experimenting but I use olive oil, always to seal the ends.

I think I will post my Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle rose experience soon.
    Hey, what do you use to keep your ends protected? and what are some things you do to keep them protected? do you think i should be using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] for protection or is that too drying?
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh man I thought you pulled a Britney on us or something LOL

Your hair is not BALD woman! LOL Its very pretty!

When I cut my hair I went from almost APL to about 5 inches of hair. I IMMEDIATELY bought tons of make-up, hair accessories, and earrings LOL I think most of us that go from long to short do this :laughing9:

My hair grew back eventually. I had an average of 1/2 inch of growth a month. Now its about 13 or 14 inches depending on the area. It took me a while to get used to it, but it eventually grew on me (no pun intended) LOL I was just happy to have natural hair.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• CaleilaniCaleilani Posts: 728Registered Users
    Your curls look bouncy and healthy to me.Great job! Thanks for sharing.
    3B-3C, alittle past tailbone length,age:41 years
  • CantFightCurlsCantFightCurls Posts: 88Registered Users
    i saw your video and just wondering how did you get them to be so bouncy? when i apply [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] its kinda crunchy, but if I put to little it'll turn into a big afro. can you post a video about how you apply it? that would be a big help. Thanks!
    ~Meena :happy10:

I cant fight my curls
    I cant control my curls
    I really just let them roll free
    What else can i do? :dontknow:

~I have curly curly 3c hair w/ some 4a up in little corners!
    ~I'm have a love affair with the Ojon Line and faithfully use Garnier Fructis Spray Gel.
    ~I love all my kinks, coils, and curls even when I wanna rip them out! :cwm21:
    ~Trying to gorw out to BSL, any tips? Drop a mesage! :toothy10:
  • KitathenaKitathena Posts: 1,666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair is cute!! It's much longer than I expected it to be when I clicked on the video.
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
  • holly8holly8 Posts: 632Registered Users
    avaanstar wrote: »
    haha, well i'm not really bald. But I chopped so much of my hair that i might as well be! My hair is so short and I am kinda going through insecurity.. I feel so much like a man, lol.

My question is... people who had BC's: how did you deal with short hair? Were you insecure? How much did your hair grow per month? What products do you suggest that I put in my hair since it's so short? Any pretty hair styles?

To see what my hair looks like click below. Oh, and this is on my good hair day. It has major shrinkage now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UWqpYMMgns

I couldn't wait untill my hair was longer,but the major problem I had was that my sides were always puffy.At the time I only used the Blended beauty spray(the spray is different now and it sucks=(),lotions,and butters.

Even though my hair is longer now, I still have some problems.My hair doesn't react to deep conditioners anymore,it is puffy curly when wet,and it would feel strip from a regular co-wash which never happen before.I'm going to clarify with yes to cucumbers poo then use my amla powder as a DT when it comes in the mail.

I'm not sure how much my hair grows per month but it grow allot 6-9 months after my BC.Donna marie's leave in conditioner,lock and twist pudding,and hemp butter are good.
    Your hair looks great in the vid=)
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Hair type:3C\3B
    Multi-racial hair
    Hair length:Started at neck and ears(in its curly state).In Dec 08 (2 years natural) My hair was somewhere near armpit length with bentonite clay in my hair.

Mission: to obtain healthy hair every day!!

Hair products:homemade products.....

:angel1::love5:
    Combing my hair becomes very hard to do after using Olive Oil Moisturizing Growth Lotion. I use Pantene shampoo and conditioner before I start combing. When I start combing my hair with the conditioner in, it becomes very hard to do. Almost like I am combing gelled hair. Does this mean that I have product build-up and I need a better shampoo to remove the product?
  • holly8holly8 Posts: 632Registered Users
    Combing my hair becomes very hard to do after using Olive Oil Moisturizing Growth Lotion. I use Pantene shampoo and conditioner before I start combing. When I start combing my hair with the conditioner in, it becomes very hard to do. Almost like I am combing gelled hair. Does this mean that I have product build-up and I need a better shampoo to remove the product?

Pantene conditioners has cones that can caused build up.I'm not sure if the pantene shampoo can get rid of the build up.
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Hair type:3C\3B
    Multi-racial hair
    Hair length:Started at neck and ears(in its curly state).In Dec 08 (2 years natural) My hair was somewhere near armpit length with bentonite clay in my hair.

Mission: to obtain healthy hair every day!!

Hair products:homemade products.....

:angel1::love5:
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    holly8 wrote: »

Pantene conditioners has cones that can caused build up.I'm not sure if the pantene shampoo can get rid of the build up.

I bought a bottle of Pantene Relaxed and Natural and it made my hair feel very heavy, like I had product overload. Try a clarifying shampoo or maybe a ACV rinse.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file