New from Texas and transitioning! Mixed, 3B / 3C hair...

mygirlfinemygirlfine Registered Users Posts: 16
I found this site almost two weeks ago and have been browsing through daily, and I love looking at Fotkis and product signatures. The amount of information and product tips is somewhat overwhelming, but I am so happy to finally find good info on how to care for curly hair.

I have mixed hair, black and mexican, so I've always gotten those "good hair" comments even though I've never actually felt that way. Yes, when chemically straightened, my hair was easier to straighten and care for than maybe coarser black hair, but still, I'm not sure I was really in love with my hair, ever.

As a kid, I was always teased for being tender-headed by my cousins. Though now I see that running a brush through my dry curls was not the best bet, so I feel slightly vindicated. My mom (mexican), though, never let my sis and me walk around with crazy, bushy hair. My mom swore, and still swears, by B&B grease and sectioned the head like a pie and made twisted plaits. I was often in ringlets that she twisted around her finger with barettes.

When I was given control of my hair around fifth grade it was all down hill. I was the ponytail queen, because I didn't know what else to do with it. Just wet it and throw it up. I experminted with mousse occasionally, but I have some horrible school pics of those. Once I was tired of looking like a mess around 6th or 7th grade, or so, I got a perm. And I have done so off and on up until this year, more often on than not at the end of high school and in college. I can only remember twice that anything other than a Just For Me relaxer was used on my hair. I was never one for maintaining my perm the right away. I bet I deactivated the chemicals, because I couldn't stand not washing my hair since it would feel so dirty. So I guess I ended up with some weak version of a texturizer, because now as I let it grow out, I can still get the relaxed part to curl into loosened waves but obviously it is not as curly as my natural pattern.

Even with my relaxed hair, I was never always happy. Grease and moisturizers would weigh me down. But mousse, straightening cremes, etc. would dry me out. Straighteners worked to give me super-straight layered hair, but I killed my ends so my hair didn't grow very fair past my shoulders. I'd usually let the stylist chop it off once a year in a bob. I never felt like I had a good mix of products or a styling routine that worked every day. I just felt in the middle and confused as to why there was so many "mixed kids" around but the haircare industry was ignoring us or so I felt anyway.

My family didn't understand, especially extended family on my dad's side. They'd want me to treat my hair like "black hair" but that routine never worked. They never understood why I needed to wash my hair or wet it.

So, now I am in a full transition since March 09. I haven't had a relaxer since October 08, and if I hadn't found this website I might have gone ahead and relaxed it in what I consider the last good months until summer. Texas summer heat and humidity doesn't mix with my hair, relaxer or not, so I usually wore it wavy for three or four months, anyway. However, my hair was so dry and brittle at the beginning of March that I knew I had to do something.

My intention as of now is to BC on my birthday at the end of May. I have to admit I'm scared of super-short hair. But everyone's BC pictures always look so awesome; we'll see though.
3C / Relaxer-free since Oct. 08

Comments

• Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Registered Users Posts: 2,607 Curl Neophyte
    Hi mygirlfine,

Im also a transitioning Texas curly and yes the summer heat coupled w/ the 100% humidity is not so good on my hair. I love the humidity but I can do w/o the heat. Just be sure to use products with glycerin when the humidity kicks in to suck up all the moisture you can. Happy transitioning.
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • aoazulemi3aoazulemi3 Registered Users Posts: 36
    Thanks for showing me this site! We're in this together! Luv ya!
    Grade: 4a definitely now that my hair has grown out.

Been natural since December/2008 ^_^ and loving every minute of it!

Know thyself means this, that you get acquainted with what you know, and what you can do.
    ~ Menander
  • jam6352jam6352 Registered Users Posts: 99
    I'm also transitioning (last relaxer was in january) at UT and Austin weather can be ridiculous! Lately, I've recognized that there isn't as much ooomph to the curls even with ACV rinses...but we're getting there! I just started a blog documenting my transition so you should definitely check it out! <asthecurlturnsback.blogspot.com>
    Low-Poo: Hairveda's Shampoo Bar
    Co- Wash: Suave Professionals
    Rinse-out Conditioners: HE LTR , GF Triple Nutrition, Lustrasilk Shea/Mango Cholesterol
    Deep Conditioner: Lustrasilk S/M Cholesterol + honey, EVOO, coconut oil

Moisturizers:
    Hairveda's 3-n-1 Creme & Blended Beauty's Curl Styling Lotion

• krj1908krj1908 Registered Users Posts: 80
    mygirlfine wrote: »
    I found this site almost two weeks ago and have been browsing through daily, and I love looking at Fotkis and product signatures. The amount of information and product tips is somewhat overwhelming, but I am so happy to finally find good info on how to care for curly hair.

I have mixed hair, black and mexican, so I've always gotten those "good hair" comments even though I've never actually felt that way. Yes, when chemically straightened, my hair was easier to straighten and care for than maybe coarser black hair, but still, I'm not sure I was really in love with my hair, ever.

As a kid, I was always teased for being tender-headed by my cousins. Though now I see that running a brush through my dry curls was not the best bet, so I feel slightly vindicated. My mom (mexican), though, never let my sis and me walk around with crazy, bushy hair. My mom swore, and still swears, by B&B grease and sectioned the head like a pie and made twisted plaits. I was often in ringlets that she twisted around her finger with barettes.

When I was given control of my hair around fifth grade it was all down hill. I was the ponytail queen, because I didn't know what else to do with it. Just wet it and throw it up. I experminted with mousse occasionally, but I have some horrible school pics of those. Once I was tired of looking like a mess around 6th or 7th grade, or so, I got a perm. And I have done so off and on up until this year, more often on than not at the end of high school and in college. I can only remember twice that anything other than a Just For Me relaxer was used on my hair. I was never one for maintaining my perm the right away. I bet I deactivated the chemicals, because I couldn't stand not washing my hair since it would feel so dirty. So I guess I ended up with some weak version of a texturizer, because now as I let it grow out, I can still get the relaxed part to curl into loosened waves but obviously it is not as curly as my natural pattern.

Even with my relaxed hair, I was never always happy. Grease and moisturizers would weigh me down. But mousse, straightening cremes, etc. would dry me out. Straighteners worked to give me super-straight layered hair, but I killed my ends so my hair didn't grow very fair past my shoulders. I'd usually let the stylist chop it off once a year in a bob. I never felt like I had a good mix of products or a styling routine that worked every day. I just felt in the middle and confused as to why there was so many "mixed kids" around but the haircare industry was ignoring us or so I felt anyway.

My family didn't understand, especially extended family on my dad's side. They'd want me to treat my hair like "black hair" but that routine never worked. They never understood why I needed to wash my hair or wet it.

So, now I am in a full transition since March 09. I haven't had a relaxer since October 08, and if I hadn't found this website I might have gone ahead and relaxed it in what I consider the last good months until summer. Texas summer heat and humidity doesn't mix with my hair, relaxer or not, so I usually wore it wavy for three or four months, anyway. However, my hair was so dry and brittle at the beginning of March that I knew I had to do something.

My intention as of now is to BC on my birthday at the end of May. I have to admit I'm scared of super-short hair. But everyone's BC pictures always look so awesome; we'll see though.

I am assuming that you must be in Houston. I live in the DFW area and while it is humid here during the late spring and summer, it is worse as you go further south.
    Mixed Hair 3B / 3C
    Relaxer-free since June 2008
    Shampoo: Deva Care No-Poo, Deva Curl Low-Poo and Kenra Clarifier
    Conditioner: Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner or Joico Moisture Recovery; Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Styling: Mixed Chicks Leave-In, Deva Curl Set it Free, Deva AnGell, Deva Curl Mist-er Right
  • mygirlfinemygirlfine Registered Users Posts: 16
    jam, you're curls look great, are those your natural curls? Austin is a cool town.

krj, yes, I am in the Greater Houston area. I spent about three or four summers in the DFW area as a kid, but I have to say I think Houston has really dreadful summers. End of July and August is the worse. It's hot and muggy 24/7. My hair hates it, but it's okay 'cos other people's hair looks just as sad.
    mygirlfine...I figured as much. Houston is the holy grail of humidity!
    Mixed Hair 3B / 3C
    Conditioner: Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner or Joico Moisture Recovery; Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Styling: Mixed Chicks Leave-In, Deva Curl Set it Free, Deva AnGell, Deva Curl Mist-er Right
    krj, I see that you use the Mixed Chicks line. I recently tried the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Mixed-Chicks-Deep-Conditioner-p-674.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=mixed-chicks-deep-conditioner]Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner[/buylink] that I ordered offline, thinking it would be a great DC treatment to use every couple of weeks. But, it dried out my hair, almost leaving it feeling wiry, and it was very tangled to comb through afterwards. Can I ask how long you leave it on? There are no real instructions as far as that goes on the container. I did try it twice, once leaving it on for 45 mins and another leaving it on for about 2 mins. And, also, when you use it do you use any other products along with it? I thought I'd give it to my sister to try out since my hair appeared not to like it.
  • mix chixmix chix Registered Users Posts: 20
    I understand what you are going through. I live in Austin and its gets hot and humid here also but I grew up in Houston so I know about that heat. I am also biracial my mother is Mexican and my father is black. My mother kept my sister and myself hair in ponytails or a braid. I am also have been transitioning my last relaxer was in March 08 so I just made a year. I did not want to do BC so I am just letting it grow out. I read this website www.kiss.biz. A lady named Tracy started this site, and she has really pretty hair but the problem is that she is African American with 4a and 4b hair and my hair is more mixed and is 3b and 3c and she relaxes her hair, but she adds a lot of moisturizers and conditioners to her hair which I have started doing which I really like, but I really don't have any idea how to style my hair I just wear my hair in a low ponytail everyday and I use "curls" custard to hold it back its like a cream with hold and it is not drying for my hair but my hair is very frizzy on the top and I have no idea how to style it because I have had my hair relaxed since I was 9 years old so I don't know what really works for my hair I just add a lot of moisturizers, conditioners, oils but I don't know if I am weighing down my hair. So I am lost at what really works in my hair. So I don’t know if I should get my hair cut and maybe taught how to style my hair or I have been thinking about doing a Keratin treatment I keep hearing that it helps control frizz, and there is not a lot of styling that needs to be done just wash and go and your hair looks great. I don't want to do that but I feel I don't know what else to do with my hair.
    I actually slather in a lot of the deep conditioner and use it to detangle my hair. (Incidentally, I buy the 33 oz bottle with the pump) I put it on while I am still in the shower and use a wide tooth comb and comb out my hair with the conditioner still in. Be gentle and comb slowly through it from the root to the ends. If you hit a part of your hair that is a little stubborn...add a little more deep condition to that part and move to another part of your hair and then go back to it. DON'T rip through it...your hair is the weakest between the natural hair and the relaxed ends. Another biggie to dealing with 2 different textures of hair is to NOT comb your hair without conditioner still in. The most action my comb gets post hair washing/co-washing is to part my hair. I think if you still to combing out tangles with conditioner in, your hair will thank you! As for why MC deep conditioner left your hair dry, I am puzzled as I don't have dryness after I DC with MC. What are you doing post wash and condition? For me, I am move right into putting in the leave-in, doing a plop to get the excess water out and then leave it to airdry.
    Mixed Hair 3B / 3C
  • jam6352jam6352 Registered Users Posts: 99
    I have to put a curl definer in it and I still have to grow out ALOT of relaxer but that's what my hair is doing at the moment :) I'm still trying to figure it all out, I decided to do weekly product reviews on my blog so check it out and maybe it will help you figure out what works for you. Also the product review database on here and LHCF are pretty helpful too :). I;m working hard to not weigh my hair down with too many products but I don't think I've found the right balance yet, we'll see how it all works out :)
    Low-Poo: Hairveda's Shampoo Bar
    Co- Wash: Suave Professionals
    Rinse-out Conditioners: HE LTR , GF Triple Nutrition, Lustrasilk Shea/Mango Cholesterol
    Deep Conditioner: Lustrasilk S/M Cholesterol + honey, EVOO, coconut oil

Moisturizers:
    Hairveda's 3-n-1 Creme & Blended Beauty's Curl Styling Lotion

mix chix, if your hair is anything like mine as far as texture goes, scrunching really helps in the styling process. If I don't scrunch, my hair is just flat and somewhat lifeless. But, I sometimes twist my hair, after applying product, around my fingers, almost like ringlets and letting it dry. You look a little funny for a while, but once you are completely dry, you can pull the twists apart for looser, wavy curls. Also, while I do need oils and moisturizers, I definitely don't need as much as a 4a/b/c. My scalp gets itchy and feels dirty when I have too much product, so I'm going to guess you'd know if you had too much product in, especially if you don't shampoo or co-wash everyday.

My current routine is that I co-wash in the shower. I've been doing so more at the moment because I hadn't been treating my hair very well the last time I relaxed it. But, I will probably cut back to 2-3 times a week soon. Then, I condition with a stronger conditioner, leaving on maybe one to two minutes, right now with Elucence and I'm starting to play around with homemade conditioners using my co-wash as a base. Then, I rinse out a final time with just a dab of my co-wash before getting out of the shower and make my part. I sometimes change up product application, but right now it goes, leave-in, curl creme, mousse or gel spray. Then, I scrunch with a t-shirt, which defines my curls and dries my hair a little. Then, I really prefer to air dry and hardly ever difuse. I also like my curls to dry somewhat hard and then scrunch out the crunch. I just think my curls look better that way.

krj, when I tried MC DC, I didn't do anything post-shower, because I deep conditioned at night. So, I was just going to comb through with a little leave-in and braid it for bed. That didn't happen since it was so tangled, and it my hair just started to dry too quickly. I think my hair just didn't like it. My best guess is that it might have been the alcohols and the silcones.

jam, I will definitely check out your blog! Your curls are great. I'm still working on the right combinations too. I love trying new things, which might be my problem.
  • rdgjd2002rdgjd2002 Registered Users Posts: 22
    I have lived in Texas for 10 years. 7 years in Houston and 2 in DFW. I have used Quidad climate control while in Houston. Also, I used Mixed chicks as well. If you don't use a really good shampoo to remove buildup, Mixed Chicks will just add to it making your hair dull. Even though curlies don't wash as often as those with straight hair. You must remove buildup or you will not get good results with most products.

Blended beauty is also nother favorite of mine. The "Reconditioner" product is great!!! Ther leave-in conditioner is great too!

My suggestion is that you deep condition at least twice a week while living in Houston. With the humidity, you need to make sure you hair has enough of it's own moisture or it's going to pull everything from the air and cause frizz and more frizz.

I hope this helps!
  • mix chixmix chix Registered Users Posts: 20
    Girlfine: Thanks for the adivice. I am going to try your suggesstions. Next week I am to go get a Deva haircut for the first time and try their products alot of people seem to really love them so hopefully so will I

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file