Hand in Fro Rehab Challenge

TotallyTwistedTotallyTwisted Registered Users Posts: 284
Okay so I know many of us have HIF disease. I'm seriously starting to worry that if I keep this up I'll stunt the growth of my hair by not allowing my hair to maintain it's growth. So I'm going to make a serious effort not to touch my hair. If I am at home I will cover my hair in a loose satin bonnet to prevent my hands from going in and pulling on the coils. I will only manipulate my hair if I am cleansing, conditioning, styling, or doing a treatment, otherwise hands should not be in the hair. Any takers in this challenge? You can prevent yourself from touching your hair any way you want no rules.
In the process of emptying my cabinets.

Conditioners that work FOUND
Poo that works FOUND
Currently trying to formulate the perfect styling pudding. Once that happens all other things left over will be thrown out, given away. From then on I'm only buying to RESTOCK. :happy2:
Ultimate hair goal: soft, healthy APL unstretched
"Don't remove the kinks from your hair, remove them from your brain." -Marcus Garvey

Comments

• mzmillionmzmillion Registered Users Posts: 874
    I want to try to do this. Yesterday when I did my twist and knot, I couldn't stop pulling apart the curls, making it more frizzy... I can try this too... I will try to tie mine up too.
    4a/b hair that fro's more than curls!
    Co-Wash: Tressemme', HE, Avon
    Leave In: SM Shea Butter Conditioner. SMCH Smoothie
    Deep Treat: Avon AT Masks, Henna, Amla, Avanti
    Stylers: Aloe Vera Butter, Eco Styler on dry hair, SM products
    My Fotki - 1/22
    My Twitter
    My Youtube

• eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Registered Users Posts: 4,151 Curl Connoisseur
    I'd fail miserably. LMAO! I don't think my HIF disease is THAT bad, but when it gets closer to wash day, I find myself pulling at curls and making it bigger.

Just reading this thread made me mess with my hair. Hahahaha
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • teejayteejay Registered Users Posts: 537
    Sign me up!!! I really need this! When I am at home I will wear my silk bonnet. I have to figure out what I am going to do when I am in the car. I find myself twirling the curls when I am at a red light. Maybe I will wear my hat more often?!:toothy8:

Co-wash: VO5 Tea Therapy
    Rinse Out: Garnier Sleek 'n Shine (subject to change)
    Styler: Long Aid Curl Activator

Dislikes: Proteins (except occasional Silk protein), Cones, Oils
  • cau2010cau2010 Registered Users Posts: 5
    I NEEEEEED this so badly! All I do is pull my hair! I think I will do protective styles!
  • trueTtrueT Registered Users Posts: 83
    I'm in i will try the bonnet or put my hair up with the twist,the more curls i get the more i wont to touch
    love my hair for what it is not what it should be
    4a 4b
    My routine till March 29:
    Individual braids
    event.png

event.png

• TotallyTwistedTotallyTwisted Registered Users Posts: 284
    teejay wrote: »
    Sign me up!!! I really need this! When I am at home I will wear my silk bonnet. I have to figure out what I am going to do when I am in the car. I find myself twirling the curls when I am at a red light. Maybe I will wear my hat more often?!:toothy8:

Omigosh! I find myself playing with it in the car too and not necessarily at red lights :sad9: yes I know that it's really dangerous. I haven't figured out how to avoid the car problem yet, but for me it's not nearly as bad as my around the house watching tv pulling.

Poo that works FOUND
    Currently trying to formulate the perfect styling pudding. Once that happens all other things left over will be thrown out, given away. From then on I'm only buying to RESTOCK. :happy2:
    "Don't remove the kinks from your hair, remove them from your brain." -Marcus Garvey
  • FleurztyFleurzty Registered Users Posts: 795
    Do you all really think you have what it takes to conquer HIF :salut:. Well, best of luck I know this is a fight I can't win, so I'll just be cheering you all on :blob8::blob8::blob8::thumbright:
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    I'd fail miserably. LMAO! I don't think my HIF disease is THAT bad, but when it gets closer to wash day, I find myself pulling at curls and making it bigger.

OMG me too! I was fluffing up my curly ponytail and pulling the curls as I read this! Knowing somebody wants to stop me from pulling my hair gave me an anxiety attack LOLOLOL j/k

:laughing9:

You guys don't understand. I've been pulling my hair since I was a child. One time a friend told me that she THOUGHT she saw me in a car, but wasn't sure if it was me.. till she saw me twirl my hair. that's a damn shame :glasses10:
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• FleurztyFleurzty Registered Users Posts: 795
    mariag002 wrote: »

OMG me too! I was fluffing up my curly ponytail and pulling the curls as I read this! Knowing somebody wants to stop me from pulling my hair gave me an anxiety attack LOLOLOL j/k

:laughing9:

You guys don't understand. I've been pulling my hair since I was a child. One time a friend told me that she THOUGHT she saw me in a car, but wasn't sure if it was me.. till she saw me twirl my hair. that's a damn shame :glasses10:

Same here! I would have one hand in my mouth and the other twirling my hair. I went to sleep like this and walked around the house all day like that. When my hair was relaxed, I would do it to my brother, who hated it LOL! When my hair is in a bun, I play with hubby's hair. I just can't help it.
    I play with my DH's braids, especially the ends. I twirl my granddaughter's hair. My DD (youngest one) hates it when I twirl her hair. Especially when I pull her hair and say "boing"

Whatever, they're all haters! LMAO
    - Maria

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Part of the pleasure of having naturally curly hair that feels good is feeling it. Why would I want to stop this???? If I were pulling it out or otherwise abusing it that would be different.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • missmarchemissmarche Registered Users Posts: 41

Ditto. Lol.

I saw the thread title and whined..."But what if I don't wanna stop touching my hair?!" *sad face*

But good luck ladies. And in a move of solidarity, I'll try to start touching my hair less...

Key word... try.... :)
    Visit my blog, Blessed and Highly Textured:
    http://highlytextured.blogspot.com

"I'm a rock hip-hop pop star." -- Kelis
    Part of the pleasure of having naturally curly hair that feels good is feeling it. Why would I want to stop this???? If I were pulling it out or otherwise abusing it that would be different.

Yea well in my case I don't know if this is the case of others I play with it so much lately that I've given myself headaches lol. That's another reason I'm trying to stop. If my HIF disease didn't do anything negative to me I sure as hell wouldn't give it up because it is a pleasure to play with it, until it frizzes up and gives me a headache that is... So far so good today we'll see how long I keep this up.

Poo that works FOUND
  • TashaTashaTashaTasha Registered Users Posts: 383
    I was already in my hair when I saw the topic and laughed! Then I clicked on it to see that the OP was serious! LOL No way I could do this...no way.
  • ZoeRabbitZoeRabbit Registered Users Posts: 67
    I was just "complaining" about this. I seriously need help!
    My hair loves: Original Moxie Get Clean No-Foam Shampoo, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, Oyin Honey Hemp Conditioner, Castor Oil, Jojoba Oil, Beautiful Curls Curl Activating Cream, Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream, Original Moxie Just Gel, Aubrey Organics QPB Conditioner, Devacurl Set It Free, Jamila Henna, Rosewater.
  • EkuaSoulEkuaSoul Registered Users Posts: 870
    Tazzy wrote: »
    I was already in my hair when I saw the topic and laughed! Then I clicked on it to see that the OP was serious! LOL No way I could do this...no way.

Same here!

I've been playing with my hair all day!
    EkuaSoul - Ninja PJ :batman:
    AyurNatural Beauty
    Facebook | Blog | Hair

• nikki57nikki57 Registered Users Posts: 14
    Fleurzty wrote: »
    Do you all really think you have what it takes to conquer HIF :salut:. Well, best of luck I know this is a fight I can't win, so I'll just be cheering you all on :blob8::blob8::blob8::thumbright:

I just BC'd 3 weeks ago, so I don't think I'm ready to stop the HIF disease....I know all of you can do it!:thumright:
    Mostly 4a with some 4b and 3c
    Cream of Nature, Giovanni's 50/50 shampoo, Suave w/ Aloe Vera conditioner, LeKair Cholesterol, Taliah Waajid African Healing Oyl, Ojon Restorative Treatment, Aloe Vera Gel, 100% Raw African Shea, KCCC
    Its usually
    Blackberry on right hand
    Hair in my left hand

I'll have to find other things to do with my hand. Maybe I can take up smoking or shoplifting. :confused2:
    - Maria

• QVCDivaQVCDiva Registered Users Posts: 1,329
    I'll be cheering you on but this is one challenge I definitely won't be participating in. Like a few others, I've played in my hair for as long as I can remember.
    Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
    BC: 01/30/09
    Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
    http://public.fotki.com/QVCDiva/
  • Wild Curls Raquelle Wild Curls Raquelle Registered Users Posts: 793 Curl Neophyte
    i've already failed as I sit here with one hand in my head.
    confused curls
    addicted to henna

Fotki
    mariag002 wrote: »
    Its usually
    Blackberry on right hand
    Hair in my left hand

I'll have to find other things to do with my hand. Maybe I can take up smoking or shoplifting. :confused2:

Don't bother trying the smoking. I tried it. Doesn't work. Cigarette in the right hand, curls in the left hand. Makes it difficult to make a turn while driving.:evil4: Shoplifting??? I wonder....:confused2:

• hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    I definitely won't be participating. I have serious HIF symptoms and don't plan on stopping. Part of the beauty of natural hair (to me) is being able to touch it when I want, how I want, where I want. I am so in love with my natural coils, I can't imagine being restricting from treasuring them! :D
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    must.touch.hair!
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • AGrlCanMACAGrlCanMAC Registered Users Posts: 157
    HIFD is EXACTLY why I keep my hair in braids. LOL. If I didn't have it braided up 95% of the time, I'd be a serious sufferer of this. :laughing6: Good luck ladies!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    4A, Coily
    GOC 2009! Who's with me!
    So far it's only been 2 days. I have greatly reduced my HIF disease. I still play with my curls in the car and work/ school, but I haven't given myself a headache from pulling the curls in the last 2 days:blob8: I have greatly reduced the amt of time the hands are in the fro. I hope I've learned my lesson and now know to be moderate with playing with my curls. Keep you posted if there are any relapses:laughing9:. Any other ladies who wanted to do this having any success?

Poo that works FOUND
  • curlykyecurlykye Registered Users Posts: 430
    Ok so I had my husband read this specific thread cause I'm always in my hair.

Sad part is when I'm on my laptop my husband knows when I'm on the board with u ladies or on one of your blogs because I get to twirling, swirling and pulling extra heavy *haha* He's like "on your hair sites huh?" or "what are you gonna do to your hair now?" He just laughs at me. I told y'all I work from home & he comes home for lunch everyday & he always says he never knows what hairdo he's gonna get when he does. He leaves for work in the morning & I've got a pony puff...later on he comes home for lunch & I've got twists. Hilarious!:tongue3:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Relaxer: December 2007
    Last Chop of Relaxed Ends/Officially 100% Natural: April 19, 2009

http://public.fotki.com/CurlyKye/

Join me at www.sparkpeople.com (If you look for me, I'm "KyeIsGettingFit")
  • KinkyCurlyCoolKinkyCurlyCool Registered Users Posts: 174
    i don't want to give it up... I LOVE THE WAY MY HAIR FEELS!!!! shoot, this is the main reason why i don't and won't get braids.... I'll miss my hair to much. Seriously, I really just love the may my hair feels. Even when my hair is twisted, I am still tugging, smelling, elongating my ends... I would even take a twist down and run my fingers over my hair and twist it back up....oh, did I mention that I love the way my hair feels. I think my hair appreciates that the fact that I touch so much; definitely wouldn't want to disappoint it....:sad9:
    event.png

www.public.fotki.com/kinkycurlycool

current products:
    homemade conditioners
    homemade twist'n hold stuff(not quite a gel)
    homemade moisturizers (water/glycerin)
    jamila henna-quarterly use to stretch hair for length check
    giovanni smooth as silk conditioner
    creme of nature shampoo and conditioner

If u do what u always did; u will get what u always got... author unknown
  • mixededmixeded Registered Users Posts: 381
    Ok I'm definitely joining!

It's weird, I'm very good about not touching my hair while it's drying. I'm a bit obsessive about not messing it up before it's dry. So... if I can manage that for a few hours, maybe I can keep my hand out of my hair for the rest of the day...maybe??!!

I really feel like there's one curl at the bottom of my nape on the left side that's starting to stretch because of how much I'm touching it. :laughing8:

I'm in!
    :duckie: Fotki!
    Last relaxer: Feb. 2008
    Big Chop:
    Jan. 2009
    Yaaay!! I haven't played with my curls for two days. I have been doing a twist out. This stretches my curls and they are not as fun to play with when I do this. However, I have been getting my hair prepared for bed at an earlier time, so I can play with my hair. Does this count???:blob8:

teejay that's awesome! It's fine if you do your hair earlier to touch it lol. The whole point of this challenge was to stop touching our hair to the point of abuse lol. For me I was making my hair frizz and giving myself a headache lol. So reducing the amt of playing is good enough. Congrats. I almost had a relapse yesterday I had to do some public speaking and got nervous and started up on the left side of my head at first it was fine but then I got more aggressive and then I started to feel my scalp hurt and stopped myself. Beforehand I wouldn't have stopped until I really had a headache.

Poo that works FOUND

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file