I need some help

GermanCurlyGermanCurly Registered Users Posts: 123
Hi everbody,
I am currently transitioning and I have a funny texture mix:love4: with almost straight to really tightly curled hair.
Lately the tightly curled hair is very dry and I have difficulties while detangling...:sad5:
I detangle my dry hair with my fingers and a wide tooth comb (only the relaxed part) and under the shower (with the fingers). I wash my hair every 3-5 days with a sulfate free shampoo, condition with a silicone free conditioner and I use another conditioner as a leave in.
All from a German brand (natural cosmetics).

Conditioner 1 (detangle/ rinse out):
Aqua, Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glycerin, Glycine Soja Oil, Myristyl Alcohol, Sodium Lactate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Hibiscus Sabdariffa Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Lauroyl Sarcosine, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Parfum, Linalool, Geraniol, Limonene

Conditioner 2 (leave in):
Aqua, Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glycerin, Myristyl Alcohol, Glacine Soja Oil, Sodium Lactate, Avensa Sativa Extrakt, Citrus Aurantifolia Extract, Prunus Armeniaca Extract', Lauroyl Sarcosine, Xydrosyethylcellulose, Parfum, Citral, Limonene, Linalool

I use shea butter or vatika oil to seal the moisture. I wear braid outs...Every night I rewet my hair a little, take a little conditioner and rebraid the hair. Satin scarf.Done...
This works pretty well for the loosely curled hair. It feels nourished and is always easy to detangle. But I feel that the tighter curled hair could use
some little extra moisture.
Do you ladies have any suggestions?
Many thanks in advance!
GermanCurly
mother-tongue: German:tongue3: - sorry for the mistakes I'll make!!!
3c/4a
Last relaxer: August 14, 2008
BC: July 11, 2009
Fotki - PM for PW or leave a message in my guestbook
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

event.png

Comments

• hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    Although you are using a sulfate free shampoo, that seems like an awful lot of washing (too frequent). I would shampoo less (once or twice a month). If you feel like your hair is product-y and/or not clean you could co-wash (conditioner wash). I co-wash my hair everyday. It gets clean, but is still done in a gentle way.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GermanCurlyGermanCurly Registered Users Posts: 123
    dear hippychic,

thanks for your response.
    so I was wrong when I thought that using a sulfate free shampoo instead of a normal one would be better? it is still drying?!:oops: OMG...

do you detangle your hair every time you wash it?
    do you detangle dry or wet?
    3c/4a
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

event.png
  • lenax7lenax7 Registered Users Posts: 107
    Hi everbody,
    I am currently transitioning and I have a funny texture mix:love4: with almost straight to really tightly curled hair.
    Lately the tightly curled hair is very dry and I have difficulties while detangling...:sad5:
    I detangle my dry hair with my fingers and a wide tooth comb (only the relaxed part) and under the shower (with the fingers). I wash my hair every 3-5 days with a sulfate free shampoo, condition with a silicone free conditioner and I use another conditioner as a leave in.

Aqua, Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glycerin, Glycine Soja Oil, Myristyl Alcohol, Sodium Lactate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Hibiscus Sabdariffa Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Gel, Lauroyl Sarcosine, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Parfum, Linalool, Geraniol, Limonene

Aqua, Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glycerin, Myristyl Alcohol, Glacine Soja Oil, Sodium Lactate, Avensa Sativa Extrakt, Citrus Aurantifolia Extract, Prunus Armeniaca Extract', Lauroyl Sarcosine, Xydrosyethylcellulose, Parfum, Citral, Limonene, Linalool

I use shea butter or vatika oil to seal the moisture. I wear braid outs...Every night I rewet my hair a little, take a little conditioner and rebraid the hair. Satin scarf.Done...
    This works pretty well for the loosely curled hair. It feels nourished and is always easy to detangle. But I feel that the tighter curled hair could use
    Many thanks in advance!
    GermanCurly

Guten tag (I'm a black brit curly!)
    I would agree you may be washing 2 much. Also, I think I know why your hair is so dry! I had the same problem. Its the alcohol in the products you are using. Alcohol dries out hair a lot! Also, because it is the second ingredient on the list, that normally means that there is a lot of it in the product. The higher something is on an ingredient list, the higher the quantity within the product. I strongly suggest you stop using them or your hair will continue to dry out. You should start using natural product or usinfg some made for mixed race hair which have better ingredients.

The ingredients in products can affect your hair a lot! Don't use products with alcohol, mineral oil, petroleum, parabens, silicons, and sodiuam laureth sulphate - all these products will dry out your hair. Qhemet biologics makes a very good products for natural and curly hair types. I would suggest you try the burdock root butter by qhemet, (the alma oil would be too heavy) - if you have trouble finding products in germany for mixed race hair, the website - www.mariposa-import.eu - delivers afro hair products throughout europe. You should also try aubrey organics shampoo. They are natural and won't dry out your hair. You can buy qhemet from the marisposa site.

Also, I have been to germany before, but everyone kept staring at me (I was in Berlin). I was planning to go again - is there anywhere in germany with black/ethnic/multicultural people? While I like going to different parts - I would like to go to more diverse places as well.
    Hair type: Type 4-beauty (4a/4b).

Staples: (Qhemet rules!):
    Leave in conditioner / Daily mosturiser: Alma and Olive Heavy Cream.
    Former fave: Shea butter - (appears to be making my hair less thick - so I'm not too happy),
    Detangler (only need to use after shampoo): Cocoa tree detangling ghee.
    Shampoo: Aubrey organics Honeysuckle Rose Moisturising conditioner.
    Deep conditioner: Still searching...

Hair hates: Natural oils of any kind.
    dear hippychic,

so I was wrong when I thought that using a sulfate free shampoo instead of a normal one would be better? it is still drying?!:oops: OMG...

Also, I detangle dry and wet - using qhemet coco detangling ghee - its leaves my hair soft. I only detangle wet if I'm washing my hair.

Former fave: Shea butter - (appears to be making my hair less thick - so I'm not too happy),

• mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    Lenax7, how long have you been transitioning?
    When are you planning to do the big chop?

Congrats on transitioning BTW, your hair is lovely
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

lenax7 wrote: »
    Hi everbody,

Many thanks in advance!
    GermanCurly

Guten tag (I'm a black brit curly!)
    I would agree you may be washing 2 much. Also, I think I know why your hair is so dry! I had the same problem. Its the alcohol in the products you are using. Alcohol dries out hair a lot! Also, because it is the second ingredient on the list, that normally means that there is a lot of it in the product. The higher something is on an ingredient list, the higher the quantity within the product. I strongly suggest you stop using them or your hair will continue to dry out. You should start using natural product or usinfg some made for mixed race hair which have better ingredients.

The ingredients in products can affect your hair a lot! Don't use products with alcohol, mineral oil, petroleum, parabens, silicons, and sodiuam laureth sulphate - all these products will dry out your hair. Qhemet biologics makes a very good products for natural and curly hair types. I would suggest you try the burdock root butter by qhemet, (the alma oil would be too heavy) - if you have trouble finding products in germany for mixed race hair, the website - www.mariposa-import.eu - delivers afro hair products throughout europe. You should also try aubrey organics shampoo. They are natural and won't dry out your hair. You can buy qhemet from the marisposa site.

Also, I have been to germany before, but everyone kept staring at me (I was in Berlin). I was planning to go again - is there anywhere in germany with a black/ethnic/multicultural people.
    not all alcohols are created equal
    here is a snip from the jessicurl site

Dear Jess,
    I have read over and over that alcohols are bad for curly hair. If this is true, why do your conditioners and Confident Coils have alcohols in them? Will they dry my hair out?

I need to clear up a common misconception regarding alcohols. Not ALL alcohols are bad. The ones I use in Jessicurl conditioners are actually moisturizing - they're called fatty alcohols and they are what make conditioners creamy and detangling. (This is why it's virtually impossible to find conditioners without these types of alcohols - because they're so good!) The good ones are Lauryl alcohol, Cetyl alcohol, Myristyl alcohol, Stearyl alcohol, Cetearyl alcohol and Behenyl alcohol. The bad ones are SD alcohol, SD alcohol 40, Alcohol denat, Propanol, Propyl alcohol and Isopropyl alcohol. You will never find any of the bad ones in any of my products and are better off avoiding them all together, as you're right - they're HORRIBLE for curly hair. NaturallyCurly.com did a great feature article on alcohols in hair products. Read it HERE.

She takes international orders too. :)
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    dear hippychic,

I recently did a BC so I don't have a lot of hair now. I detangle with my fingers in the shower with conditioner on my head.

GermanCurly, you may want to look into conditioner washes. A lot of us here use this method.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I didn't realise! Thanks for clearing that up!

• CurlyHead74CurlyHead74 Registered Users Posts: 113
    no additional advice just wanted to say Guten tag, to all my German ladies. I lived in Berlin for 10 years...
    mariag002 wrote: »

I'm not going to do the BC. My hair was breaking, but using pure unrefined shea butter has softened the point between my natural hair and the relaxed part so it no longer breaks. Instead of BCing I am cutting my hair off gradually (which still leaves hair to put in2 braids - which is how I'm growing it out) I've chopped off most of it and have almost 3 inches of new growth.

Thanks for the compliment , but how have you seen my hair? - I haven't posted any pics! :)

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Hi, why do you feel you need to shampoo your hair so often? Are you getting build up in 3-5 days? Why not try condition washing and shampooing less often?
    Also, I think I know why your hair is so dry! I had the same problem. Its the alcohol in the products you are using.
    The alcohols in your conditioners are fatty ones so not harmful in themselves. But I agree they are high up on the list. Soybean oil is okay. I've had good success with conditioners that have behentrimonium methosulfate and fruit extracts (especially orange), both moisturizing ingredients.

Also, try adding a deep conditioner 2x a month.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    mariag002 wrote: »

I'm not going to do the BC. My hair was breaking, but using pure unrefined shea butter has softened the point between my natural hair and the relaxed part so it no longer breaks. Instead of BCing I am cutting my hair off gradually (which still leaves hair to put in2 braids - which is how I'm growing it out) I've chopped off most of it and have almost 3 inches of new growth.

Thanks for the compliment , but how have you seen my hair? - I haven't posted any pics! :)

OMg I'm so sorry!!! I was trying to ask the original poster, GermanCurly and not you Ahahaa Sorry!!

I was going to ask her when she was going to do the BC because sounds to me like her hair is having a war and maybe she should think about doing the BC. If you're not ready though you shouldn't do it, same to her.

sorry for the confusion

Oh and GermanCurly, as a natural I won't/can't detangle with just my fingers. Maybe you should buy a denman brush or a large toothed comb. :o
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

Also, I have been to germany before, but everyone kept staring at me (I was in Berlin). I was planning to go again - is there anywhere in germany with black/ethnic/multicultural people? While I like going to different parts - I would like to go to more diverse places as well.
    you should come to southern Germany! Frankfurt, Heidelberg, Stuttgart, Munich...although i grew up in Germany, I cannot stand Berlin. imho people are strange there. also Hamburg is nice.
    mariag002 wrote:
    I was going to ask her when she was going to do the BC because sounds to me like her hair is having a war and maybe she should think about doing the BC. If you're not ready though you shouldn't do it, same to her.
    i'm afraid to do the BC now;-( my relaxed hair is BSL and I only have 3.5 inches of NG...by the way, i love your fotki!!!!
    mariag002 wrote:
    Oh and GermanCurly, as a natural I won't/can't detangle with just my fingers. Maybe you should buy a denman brush or a large toothed comb. :-o
    i have a denman but i cannot use it anymore...it glides through the relaxed hair, it glides through th NG but it stops at the line of decarnation...same for the wide tooth comb. the only way i can past this line is with my fingers...
    be Hi, why do you feel you need to shampoo your hair so often? Are you getting build up in 3-5 days? Why not try condition washing and shampooing less often?
    i wash my hair so often since it tangles so bad. if i wait longer than 5 days it becomes a nightmare. also i've tried cowashing before, but i was afraid that it couldn't clean my hair that good. so i looked for a sulfate free shampoo - now i know this isn't good also...i use shea butter e.g. is cowashing really enough to clean the hair? i really have difficulties in finding a good conditioner. if i use one with silicones, detangling is easy...natural cosmetics doesn't seem to do the same for my hair, but i'm 6 weeks cone-free now.
    on the other hand i'm afraid to try something new. i have a transitioning buddy - hey samyka;- ) - and she has wonderful hair. what works for her,DOESN'T WORK FOR ME AT ALL! this was i hard lesson i had to learn...
    3c/4a
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

event.png
  • MissKinkyCoilyMissKinkyCoily Registered Users Posts: 827
    Hey GermanCurly, I know what you mean about co-washing. I too sometimes fear that my hair isn't totally clean. To prevent dryness, I co-wash 2x per week and shampoo (sulfate free) every 2-3 weeks. If my scalp is itchy/dirty before its shampoo time, I will only apply shampoo to my scalp but co-wash my hair. I've been doing this since July, and my hair has never looked or felt better.
    5 YEARS OF FABULOUS NAPPYNESS
    :wav:

Last Relaxer: August 2003
    Final Chop: October 2004

Photos: http://public.fotki.com/MissKinkyCoily/ : December 2009 Updates

comic-p.jpg
    you should come to southern Germany! Frankfurt, Heidelberg, Stuttgart, Munich...although i grew up in Germany, I cannot stand Berlin. imho people are strange there. also Hamburg is nice.

I was thinking about Munich! I will try those places in the future. Do you like Gentleman and Freundeskreis?They are my favourite German musicians! The people in Berlin were so strange, nice, but strange. Little children, kept coming up to me to talk to me all the time! It was very stange!

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    is cowashing really enough to clean the hair?

Absolutely, but don't use a conditioner with silicones to do it. If you have been conditioning with a silicone-based product, do a clarifying shampoo and start anew with non-silicone conditioners. The one you lists seems like it would be a good co-wash. If your hair is tangling, a co-wash will actually help it be less tangly. I used to have to wash (or co-wash) and detangle with a comb during my moisturizing condition cycle. Most days I can throw on the rinseout/moisturizing conditioner and detangle with my fingers. That's due to co-washing.

Another way to shampoo -- have you tried soap bars? Anita Grant makes the Cadillac (or Benz) of shampoo bars and is based in the UK.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    I was thinking about Munich! I will try those places in the future. Do you like Gentleman and Freundeskreis?They are my favourite German musicians! The people in Berlin were so strange, nice, but strange. Little children, kept coming up to me to talk to me all the time! It was very stange!
    I live in Munich and of course it is my favorite city;-) I just didn't want to be too offensive;-) You would love it! Great places and nice people! Let me know if you should come here!

I love both Gentleman and Freundeskreis...and don't forget about the great Joy Denalane - and her great curls!
    3c/4a
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

event.png
    is cowashing really enough to clean the hair?

Absolutely, but don't use a conditioner with silicones to do it. If you have been conditioning with a silicone-based product, do a clarifying shampoo and start anew with non-silicone conditioners. The one you lists seems like it would be a good co-wash. If your hair is tangling, a co-wash will actually help it be less tangly. I used to have to wash (or co-wash) and detangle with a comb during my moisturizing condition cycle. Most days I can throw on the rinseout/moisturizing conditioner and detangle with my fingers. That's due to co-washing.

Another way to shampoo -- have you tried soap bars? Anita Grant makes the Cadillac (or Benz) of shampoo bars and is based in the UK.

I stopped using cones 6 weeks ago. I used a sulfate shampoo to get rid of the build up. Do you think I might need some more clarifying?

The shampoo bar sounds interesting. I wil have a look. And I will definitely give cowashing another try.

Thank you all, ladies! I will keep you posted!

Have a great day!!!!
    3c/4a
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

event.png
    I live in Munich and of course it is my favorite city;-) I just didn't want to be too offensive;-) You would love it! Great places and nice people! Let me know if you should come here!

I love both Gentleman and Freundeskreis...and don't forget about the great Joy Denalane - and her great curls!

I love Joy Denalane! What about Jumbie - another german curly! She's a dancehall queen and I wish I could move like her!
    l_1743f9aa7c494bfe39ac52dc68ac4a4d.jpg

The Far East band has some more lovely curlies!

• mixededmixeded Registered Users Posts: 381

Yea I grew up in Berlin.
    Unfortunately the staring there is just a fact of life, lol!
    :duckie: Fotki!
    Last relaxer: Feb. 2008
    Big Chop:
    Jan. 2009
    mixeded wrote: »

Yea I grew up in Berlin.

I know what you mean - you would think we were aliens or something! I was born and bred in England, and growing up it was only in certain parts they would stare and say things like "look at the cute brown children!" But travelling a lot in europe, you get used to it! People make some very odd assumptions about black people or people with black ancestry! But I've found it normally out of curiosity, not dislike! People always ask me where my family is from! I was on a tour bus in Germany and the tour guide was starring at my family and I so hard! When the bus stopped, my dad and sister got off and she actually prevented me from leaving so she could ask me questions! :P She wanted to know all these things......like she asked me if I was mixed, (because my dad and sister are much darker than I am - about the same shade as the singer Akon, and I'm like tyra banks colour), what race was my mum etc....!

mixeded wrote: »

Yea I grew up in Berlin.

I know what you mean - you would think we were aliens or something! I was born and bred in England, and growing up it was only in certain parts they would stare and say things like "look at the cute brown children!" But travelling a lot in europe, you get used to it! People make some very odd assumptions about black people or people with black ancestry! But I've found it normally out of curiosity, not dislike! People always ask me where my family is from! I was on a tour bus in Germany and the tour guide was starring at my family and I so hard! When the bus stopped, my dad and sister got off and she actually prevented me from leaving so she could ask me questions! :P She wanted to know all these things......like she asked me if I was mixed, (because my dad and sister are much darker than I am - about the same shade as the singer Akon, and I'm like tyra banks colour), what race was my mum etc....!
    I grew up in a small town and I was the "first" dark skinned girl at kindergarden...the first one at school...I never had problems with the other children...I've always felt comfortable here...here in Southern Germany. But in the North...:thumbdown:It is like a different people..
    3c/4a
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

event.png
    I stopped using cones 6 weeks ago. I used a sulfate shampoo to get rid of the build up. Do you think I might need some more clarifying?

The shampoo bar sounds interesting. I wil have a look. And I will definitely give cowashing another try.

Thank you all, ladies! I will keep you posted!

Have a great day!!!!
    Hey there ...
    It's been a week and I've tried cowashing 3 times since then...my hair already feels 100% better. I've also changed the conditioner since I couldn't figure out which alcohols were included in my old one. The new new one is much better. It helps detangling so finally I am able to comb my hair under the running shower:headbang:
    Again thank you all, you great curlies:love2:
    3c/4a
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

event.png
    Yeah!!! Glad to hear you had better results. :love1:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • samykasamyka Registered Users Posts: 10
    me too! :hello1:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file