beginning transition..help!

desire4curlsdesire4curls Registered Users Posts: 30
Hi! I just joined the site and I love it! I am currently relaxed (not by choice), and have been for about five years. I have always loved curly hair, and have tried numerous attempts to scrunch my hair to get it curly, (with less than great results). I'm 18 and have finally decided to transition. My hair is about shoulder length and I think I look much better with longer hair. I would like to transition without the bc, but I am concerned about my hair and what it will look like during this process. I am attached to my length and am very scared of having very short hair. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice and/or pictures of transitioning hair without the bc. I really would like to know how to take care of my hair during this time and I am thinking about doing braid outs for awhile. Any sugguestions would be helpful! Thanks so much!
4a, extremely thick and protein sensitive.
deep conditioner my hair loves: redken all soft heavy cream and matrix biolage ultra hydrating cream

Comments

• charbellacharbella Registered Users Posts: 8
    Hi Desire4curls. I'm new to this site too. I have only been transitioning from relaxed to naturally curly hair for almost 15 weeks (Thursday 04/02/09. I currently wash my hair twice a week, but I only shampoo once a week. I use deep conditioners every week and I alternate between the protein treatment (once a month) hot oil treatment (one a month) and I use leave in conditioner each time I wash. My hair is growing in straight but it turned curly after about the first inch. I use coconut oil and jojoba oil on my hair twice a week. I don't use any grease in my hair. Whatever you do make sure you moisturize your hair alot. I am currently wearing my hair in braidouts. I have been doing this for awhile but I am ready for a change. The good thing about braidouts is it blends in well with my new growth. I'm sure you will love it and plus you don't have to use any heat. I just section my hair in about six sections and right before I braid it I will put a leave in moisturize on it and I always let my hair air dry. Oh and I also part my hair as if I am going to oil my scalp but I use IC leave in moisturizer just to make sure my scalp stays moisturized too. My hair has always been long but I had to have 13 inches cut off my hair this year due to damage with the good old flat iron. My hair is on my shoulders so I will definitely be growing out my hair. I don't look good with short hair. My hair has never been this short but this is what happens when you use the flat iron too much. Like I said I am still new so I am always reading different sites to get ideas from the Veterans out there that are 100% or at least past the transitioning stage that I'm in. Good luck to you.
  • Lorraine09Lorraine09 Registered Users Posts: 126
    Hello. I am transitioning as well. I'm at about 19 weeks post relaxer. My relaxed hair is mid back length, and I plan on transitioning for as long as possible. I have been air drying my hair in a few braids/twists or roller setting every once in a while with flexirods. I must some days are way more difficult than others. It is going to take a while to see what your hair likes/dislikes as far as products. I am definitely still learning. I did a twist-out once, and it was ok for the first one or two days. Most likely I will be wearing my hair in a bun/flexirod sets most of the time to make it easier. I like to keep things as simple as possible. I just don't have the talent/patience to do braid-outs all the time. I am going to get my first real cut/trim in June, and I plan on gradually getting it cut, so I understand what you are saying when you say you are attached to your hair. I've only had short hair once, and it was cut a little bit above my shoulders. Products that I really like so far are EVOO w/honey as a pre-poo(once every two weeks), Organix coconut shampoo, AO HSR conditioner, Giovanni Dircet Leave-In and OSR deep conditioner. HH Hydralicious seems to work ok enough for a co-wash (I also use Tressemme on those days because I have a huge bottle I need use up). Hang in there, you will be fine!
  • desire4curlsdesire4curls Registered Users Posts: 30
    Thank you both so much! I am in the very beginning process and only have a little but of new growth. I am going to see how long I can put up with having two different textures before I get braids, but I plan to get them by summer. I want to have a long transition, and hopefully get curly hair again!!
    deep conditioner my hair loves: redken all soft heavy cream and matrix biolage ultra hydrating cream
  • FrizzyLocksFrizzyLocks Registered Users Posts: 2
    Hello ^_^

I'm new to this site too (surprise surprise). I am 21 years old and have had my hair relaxed since I was 5 years old so that's like 15 years! I didn’t really use a flat iron but rather roller set it. The last time I relaxed my hair was the 26th December 2008 - it's been 3 months which is awesome. And yeah I feel ya desire4curls, I so want lush bouncy curls of perfection. I'd even braid my hair semi-wet after washing so when it dried it had these artificial weird waves. Then you gotta think hold on. I'm relaxing my hair straight just to make it curly again? O_O I’m a little anxious as the direction my hair's going I'm going to look like a troll doll – it’s pure frizz! I am very curious about what my 'real' hair texture looks like as I monitor its growth because I cannot remember for the life of me! I also heard somewhere you may not get the original hair texture before relaxing if it’s been a long time. It looks kinda funny at the moment to be honest cause it’s so obvious where kinky meets straight it cracks me up! So as you can gather I am not going for the BC. I figure my already big head would look ENORMOUS. Plus I do love length and have never had hair short. I’ll be reading around for advice – though I’m currently stocking up conditioners – leave in, deep conditioning, etc – cause they do really help detangle. ESPECIALLY if you put a conditioner in your hair, leave to ‘marinate’ for a while, then wash out, and use shampoo (I use a combined shampoo+conditioner) before reapplying conditioner and using a heat cap for a couple of minutes. So damn soft and manageable! However I don’t know if that works for everyone, cause there are too many variations in natural hair texture! I’m worried my inexperience with natural hair may mean impending doom…L Nice to know I’m not alone out here J.
  • SandraDgroovySandraDgroovy Registered Users Posts: 139
    http://maneandchic.blogspot.com/
    I've been following her hair blog for a year, like a few of us, she did the long term transition without a BC. Her hair is beautiful, and she has TONS of transitioning styles and techinques. She is proof transitioning can be done without breakage. I use just about all her hair tips and I have experienced no breakage and my hair is the healthiest its been (even the left over tex-laxed ends)!

I'm almost a year into my transition, I had to learn to be patient & get over my frustrations by learning what works for my hair. I've been deep conditioning once or twice a week, I mix an oil with a deep conditioner, I like to leave it in for about 30-45 minutes before putting on my heat cap for another 30 min. I shampoo once a week (tho some women don't use shampoo at all), then I cowash the rest of the week. To style, I always use a leave in conditioner under whatever styling aid I choose to use. Keeping my hair moisturized via cowashing + leave in conditioners + shea butter/coconut oil made my hair thrive. I've trimmed 3 times and plan to do another trim soon; some opt to mini trim once a month until the relaxer is gone. I also do a protein treatment once a month.

I make sure I take my vitamins, drink tons of water, exercise, and I make it a point to do some yoga poses daily to get blood flowing to my head so my hair benefits. I de-stress & relax when I need to, when I get stressed my skin breakouts and my hair falls out lol.

Happy transitioning!
    Sandra, RN & fitness competitor.

Transitioning since 4/2008, with no plans to BC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sandra-Fields-Fitness-Competitor/115579921807944

event.png
  • nikki57nikki57 Registered Users Posts: 14
    Hi! I just joined the site and I love it! I am currently relaxed (not by choice), and have been for about five years. I have always loved curly hair, and have tried numerous attempts to scrunch my hair to get it curly, (with less than great results). I'm 18 and have finally decided to transition. My hair is about shoulder length and I think I look much better with longer hair. I would like to transition without the bc, but I am concerned about my hair and what it will look like during this process. I am attached to my length and am very scared of having very short hair. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice and/or pictures of transitioning hair without the bc. I really would like to know how to take care of my hair during this time and I am thinking about doing braid outs for awhile. Any sugguestions would be helpful! Thanks so much!

Hi Desire4curls! I started my transition in April of 08. The first three months were the hardest for some reason...dealing with the two textures. After that I was smooth sailing! Unfortunately, as my new growth came in, my hair started to break off in the back where the two textures met. Just something to think of when you're transitioning. I BC'd on my 11th month because I was didn't want to deal with the different textures anymore. I love the idea of getting braids. I had mine put in on the day I BC'd. Check out some of the fotki's from some of the other members ( I don't have one yet).

Just remember you don't have to BC if you don't want to...my sister transitioned for 2 years and slowly trimmed her relaxer out. Good luck!!:blob3:
    Mostly 4a with some 4b and 3c
    Cream of Nature, Giovanni's 50/50 shampoo, Suave w/ Aloe Vera conditioner, LeKair Cholesterol, Taliah Waajid African Healing Oyl, Ojon Restorative Treatment, Aloe Vera Gel, 100% Raw African Shea, KCCC
  • desire4curlsdesire4curls Registered Users Posts: 30
    I hope to slowly transition...I really can't do short hair! I just hope my curls turn out the way I picture them!!! thanks for the feedback!
  • Lorraine09Lorraine09 Registered Users Posts: 126
    Hello ^_^

I'm new to this site too (surprise surprise). I am 21 years old and have had my hair relaxed since I was 5 years old so that's like 15 years! I didn’t really use a flat iron but rather roller set it. The last time I relaxed my hair was the 26th December 2008 - it's been 3 months which is awesome. And yeah I feel ya desire4curls, I so want lush bouncy curls of perfection. I'd even braid my hair semi-wet after washing so when it dried it had these artificial weird waves. Then you gotta think hold on. I'm relaxing my hair straight just to make it curly again? O_O I’m a little anxious as the direction my hair's going I'm going to look like a troll doll – it’s pure frizz! I am very curious about what my 'real' hair texture looks like as I monitor its growth because I cannot remember for the life of me! I also heard somewhere you may not get the original hair texture before relaxing if it’s been a long time. It looks kinda funny at the moment to be honest cause it’s so obvious where kinky meets straight it cracks me up! So as you can gather I am not going for the BC. I figure my already big head would look ENORMOUS. Plus I do love length and have never had hair short. I’ll be reading around for advice – though I’m currently stocking up conditioners – leave in, deep conditioning, etc – cause they do really help detangle. ESPECIALLY if you put a conditioner in your hair, leave to ‘marinate’ for a while, then wash out, and use shampoo (I use a combined shampoo+conditioner) before reapplying conditioner and using a heat cap for a couple of minutes. So damn soft and manageable! However I don’t know if that works for everyone, cause there are too many variations in natural hair texture! I’m worried my inexperience with natural hair may mean impending doom…L Nice to know I’m not alone out here J.
    I heard the same thing, so I guess it's true. I have been transitioning for only a few months, and already my new growth has changed from what I originally thought it would look like. Some of the spots that I thought would have tighter curls have loosened up some as they grow out. I guess it will be a while to see the real deal. I don't plan on doing the BC until I have at least shoulder length hair/enough hair to put in a real ponytail when I'm having a bad hair day.
  • krj1908krj1908 Registered Users Posts: 80
    I am in the 10th month of my transition and I have found that the key to losing as little length as possible is having some sort of protective hair style and keeping heat out of your hair as much as possible! This will help you keep length as you cut your relaxed ends and as your new growth comes in. Another good idea is to see a stylist who is experienced in dealing with clients who have transitioned. I personally have been using a leave-in conditioner and scrunching my hair and allowing it to air dry.
    Mixed Hair 3B / 3C
    Relaxer-free since June 2008
    Shampoo: Deva Care No-Poo, Deva Curl Low-Poo and Kenra Clarifier
    Conditioner: Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner or Joico Moisture Recovery; Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Styling: Mixed Chicks Leave-In, Deva Curl Set it Free, Deva AnGell, Deva Curl Mist-er Right
  • sunshineonfridayssunshineonfridays Registered Users Posts: 16
    I am currently in my 9th month of transitioning. I do deep condish, I do a coconut naturalaxer that I saw on youtube ( it is a mixture of coconut milk, regular yogurt no sugar added, and lime), I do shampoo my hair almost every 2 weeks. I wash my hair every week, not daily. I have 3 kids and that is to much work for me. I also do protective styles like braids (w/synthetic hair), bantu knot outs, weave caps, etc. I currently am wearing a weave cap. I am planning on transitioning for at least 2 years until my hair reaches reasonable length.
  • FrizzyLocksFrizzyLocks Registered Users Posts: 2
    I don't know how to use this darn quote thing hehe. My hair seems uneven, I see tight curls sometimes and others casual frizz. This could probably be due to the fact that up until the day before yesterday I've had a pretty bad method for coping with the two textures! I mean I really didn't know you aren't supposed to comb it bone dry, that would explain a lot of hair loss and tears. Instead of braid outs to accommodate the curly texture, I've been trying to comb it all completely straight and spray the front and brush it all down flat. Probably the reason why the back of my hair is much more curly than than the front, as the front been pulled taut most of the time as I wear it in an eternal bun. So tired of putting my hair back. I'm wearing braid outs to work today :D. I've been doing braid outs before but I never knew the correct method or that they actually had a proper name. *Sigh* I'm a newbie, even to my own fricken hair!
  • curliitommii curliitommii Registered Users Posts: 139
    nikki57 wrote: »

Hi Desire4curls! I started my transition in April of 08. The first three months were the hardest for some reason...dealing with the two textures. After that I was smooth sailing! Unfortunately, as my new growth came in, my hair started to break off in the back where the two textures met. Just something to think of when you're transitioning. I BC'd on my 11th month because I was didn't want to deal with the different textures anymore. I love the idea of getting braids. I had mine put in on the day I BC'd. Check out some of the fotki's from some of the other members ( I don't have one yet).

Just remember you don't have to BC if you don't want to...my sister transitioned for 2 years and slowly trimmed her relaxer out. Good luck!!:blob3:

really after the third month? IM starting my fourth right now :-) cause summer's coming up and i like to go to the beach a lot and i KNOW my hair is gonna be tons of crazy!! lol

i have 3b/3c hair and i cant seem to find anything that my hair likes besides my deep conditioner... did u leave ur hair out with the two textures? Without a protective style?
    I Bc'd!! --> July 1st, 2009 :wav:

event.png

http://public.fotki.com/ms-curls/
  • curly2009curly2009 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Hi, this is my first post and I desesperately need your help, I've had the BC last year, I was sooo happy. Then my hair was longer but is very curly, fine, but curly and i didn't like it so much. I try texturizing my hair with a girl texturizer thinking that is was going to be better but it has almost straighten out. My curls aren't the same, It's like the curls that i have when i was relaxing. I hate it. There's something I could do? Could I have a light perm or something like that to match my hair that's been growing? Any advice please, and thanks this page is really comforting for us curly girls.
  • yogibearyogibear Registered Users Posts: 19
    Hi Curly2009...I'm so sorry you're having a hard time. I really really don't think it would be a good idea for you to put anymore chemicals in your hair. I honestly think your only healthy options are to basically do another BC or transition again until you have enough length and feel comfortable with BCing. In the mean time maybe you should try some new styles that give you some texture. You could try twist outs, braid outs..bantu knot outs. All of these styles will give you a curly look while you are transitioning. If you just can't take it....maybe you should consider getting braids or something so that you don't have to deal with your hair for a while. Please please don't put anymore chemicals on top of the texturizer you already have. A big part of transitioning is learning to love our hair just as it is. Even though our hair may not turn out the way we thought it would...we have to accept it and work with it.

To the OP...I've been transitioning since Sept. of '07 because I also can't do really short hair so the BC was not an option for me. These folks have given you some great advice. I just want to encourage you and let you know that a long term transition is possible (I'm going on two years). Deep condtioning and moisturizing regularly is super important. Really you just have to listen to your hair and learn to take care of it in a different way. It's not going to like the same products or even the same methods you used to take care of it when you had relaxed hair. It can be a bumpy road but the sooner you learn to work with it rather than against it..the sooner you will start to enjoy the whole process.

Good luck to you!!
  • Mixed ChicaMixed Chica Registered Users Posts: 150
    hi ms curls....i started my fourth month this month as well and i know its gonna be a long haul......ibeen getting some good product advice and styling advice all over the net but mostly on youtube...:p
  • BermudabeautyBermudabeauty Registered Users Posts: 36
    I've been transitioning for about 13 weeks now. I love the texture of my new growth so much that I have bc'd the back. My hair is currently in a bob cut so it dosen't look crazy. None the less my new growth hair is about 2inches. My new growth in the back is 3c and I can't tell if the front of my hair is 4a or 3c yet because I still have all the relaxed hair. I am anxious and want to bc in July which will be 6+months for me. I don't know what I will look like, but I dont' care. I have a cute face I can rock it. LOL. You can check out my transition story at www.fotki.com/bermudabeauty
  • JustKitty6JustKitty6 Registered Users Posts: 32
    So I have been transitioning since August 29th, 2008. I have been straightening my hair. I know you guys r gonna hate me but I love my straight hair. But not my new growth is outta control and my roots won't stay straight for longer than 4 days. When I decided to begin transitioning I cut my hair from bra strap length to my neck, it was like a layered bob type thing. It has grown out some and it now touches my top of my back. I don't know what to do, since I can no longer straighten my hair. I did bantu knots but it doesn't look good with this length. I just did a twistout like 2 hours ago. & I like it alot. It mixes well with my natural curls. But ladies if you have any suggestions for products pleaseeeeeeeee let me know!!!

event.png
  • curliitommii curliitommii Registered Users Posts: 139
    mya321 wrote: »
    hi ms curls....i started my fourth month this month as well and i know its gonna be a long haul......ibeen getting some good product advice and styling advice all over the net but mostly on youtube...:p

Yeaaa i've been practically stalking the net haha. Mostly this site and youtube lol
    I Bc'd!! --> July 1st, 2009 :wav:

event.png

http://public.fotki.com/ms-curls/
  • luhvieluhv23luhvieluhv23 Registered Users Posts: 17
    ugh i am in the same boat. i like the length that i have, but i just took some braids out and it seems like my hair doesnt want to do anything that i want it to do. but like i said, i like length. so this is a question to ANYONE: should i just go ahead with my bc. i dont want to be frustrated
    hair type:4a
    bc:July 3 2009
    co wash:curls by salon selectives, HE totally twisted
    oils:ABUHO
  • NitaNita Registered Users Posts: 18
    still learning how to edit posts lol...
    Last Relaxer: May 22, 2009
    Long-term Transitioner
    Hair type: 4a/4b I think / L.O.I.S. : OS, medium, wiry
    Current: Fine, relaxed APL Goal: Full, natural, BSL
    Staples: Giovanni Direct Leave-in, EVOO
    Crown & Glory Method
    Personal No Heat challenge
    ~Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.~ :nike:
    http://public.fotki.com/JazLani
  • NitaNita Registered Users Posts: 18
    Lorraine09 wrote: »
    Hello. I am transitioning as well. I'm at about 19 weeks post relaxer. My relaxed hair is mid back length, and I plan on transitioning for as long as possible. I have been air drying my hair in a few braids/twists or roller setting every once in a while with flexirods. I must some days are way more difficult than others. It is going to take a while to see what your hair likes/dislikes as far as products. I am definitely still learning. I did a twist-out once, and it was ok for the first one or two days. Most likely I will be wearing my hair in a bun/flexirod sets most of the time to make it easier. I like to keep things as simple as possible. I just don't have the talent/patience to do braid-outs all the time. I am going to get my first real cut/trim in June, and I plan on gradually getting it cut, so I understand what you are saying when you say you are attached to your hair. I've only had short hair once, and it was cut a little bit above my shoulders. Products that I really like so far are EVOO w/honey as a pre-poo(once every two weeks), Organix coconut shampoo, AO HSR conditioner, Giovanni Dircet Leave-In and OSR deep conditioner. HH Hydralicious seems to work ok enough for a co-wash (I also use Tressemme on those days because I have a huge bottle I need use up). Hang in there, you will be fine!

That's so funny I have a big bottle of Tresemme that I'm trying to finish also so I've uped my co-washes so I can start using my Trader Joe's :laughing8: Desire4curls: I'm 19 and I have also just begun to transition and I plan on having braids for the next year and a half (2 months at a time takinng very good care to moisturize and keep hair healthy) because I'm attached to my length as well (APL). Hopefully my natural hair will be a good length after this time. This site is very helpful for any information you're looking for about transitioning. www.growafrohairlong.com is another good site with tips on how to care for transitioning hair while in braids. I have found that it also helps to look at people's fotkis and find someone that seems to have similar hair to your own and see what they have done to transition and to keep their natural hair healthy and to maintain length. Good luck on transitioning!
    Last Relaxer: May 22, 2009
    Long-term Transitioner
    Hair type: 4a/4b I think / L.O.I.S. : OS, medium, wiry
    Current: Fine, relaxed APL Goal: Full, natural, BSL
    Staples: Giovanni Direct Leave-in, EVOO
    Crown & Glory Method
    Personal No Heat challenge
    ~Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.~ :nike:
    http://public.fotki.com/JazLani
  • wastedAGEwastedAGE Registered Users Posts: 1
    just started going natural but theres still a littttle relaxer in it. i feel like my hair never looks good anymore since its been natural. i want long hair again. this is so hard! and none of my friends/family know what its like so that doesnt help.. but my hair is so damaged i have to do this
  • lit26lit26 Registered Users Posts: 131
    you may not see the true growth and beauty of your natural hair unless you do the bc but thats just my opinion. I didnt see mine untill I did it.
    4b
    last perm 11/8
    Bc'd 4-9-9 :sunny:
    www.fotki/miamelove.com

A product to make tranistioning EASIER!:cheers:
    Scissors. Think of it like this, your mixing dirty clothes with clean clothes, you can use all the perfum you want (hair product) but the dirty clothes (permed hair) will never be clean, will eventually get old, raggedy, and eventually start shredding/breaking(natural&permed hair). Don't waste your time. Transitioning for most is a :boxing: fight that relaxed hair will win!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file