Whipped shea butter-Hand Blender necessary for fluffy butter?

Alice_42 Alice_42 Posts: 791Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I don't have a hand blender, so I make my whipped shea butter with a strong spoon and lots of elbow grease. But it never comes as light and fluffy as I would like.

Can a hand blender make it fluffier? Or is it just something off with my recipe?

Recipe (I don't measure anything :-? so this in the order of what appears most)
-water
-shea butter
-olive oil
-peppermint oil
-lavender oil

thanks everyone!
event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
Blog: Alice in Nappyland

Comments

• shawnetteshawnette Posts: 482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    First thing, whipped shea does not have water. It's just shea whipped with oil to make it lighter. That's probably part of your problem as adding the water makes it harder to blend.

Second, make a smaller quantity and use a fork. Easy peasy and comes out nice and fluffy. I tend to get the best results by sticking with 6Tbsp of shea or less. Once you add the oils in, it makes a decent amount to last a few days, depending on usage.
    Nappy is not an 'N' word.
    Photos:
    http://xrl.us/beauk7

Recipes:
    http://mixology101.ning.com/profile/shawnette
  • Alice_42 Alice_42 Posts: 791Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    shawnette wrote: »
    First thing, whipped shea does not have water. It's just shea whipped with oil to make it lighter. That's probably part of your problem as adding the water makes it harder to blend.

Second, make a smaller quantity and use a fork. Easy peasy and comes out nice and fluffy. I tend to get the best results by sticking with 6Tbsp of shea or less. Once you add the oils in, it makes a decent amount to last a few days, depending on usage.

Thank you!
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • mzmillionmzmillion Posts: 874Registered Users
    What would happen it I happen to add other stuff to it:

MJ Stretch silkening creme
    Veg Oil
    Lustrasilk

And I hae a hand blender, is that good. What do I use whipped shea for? Is it good for sealing?
    4a/b hair that fro's more than curls!
    Co-Wash: Tressemme', HE, Avon
    Leave In: SM Shea Butter Conditioner. SMCH Smoothie
    Deep Treat: Avon AT Masks, Henna, Amla, Avanti
    Stylers: Aloe Vera Butter, Eco Styler on dry hair, SM products
    My Fotki - 1/22
    My Twitter
    My Youtube

mzmillion wrote: »
    What would happen it I happen to add other stuff to it:

MJ Stretch silkening creme
    Veg Oil
    Lustrasilk

And I hae a hand blender, is that good. What do I use whipped shea for? Is it good for sealing?

I dunno. You gotta try it an see, lol. I would just mix up a little bit, though. No sense wasting good stuff if it comes out crappy. (I experiment all the time. That's how I come up with my recipes.)

Whipped shea is used for the same things you would use regular shea for (hair & skin), except it's lighter. It's an excellent sealant.
    Photos:

Recipes:
    Well I had a little bit of shea butter left, about two more twists outs worth. So I used that, and I have already mixed together some LS aloe and MJ SSC so I added that and blended. It blended nicely and then I added some LS shea and Mango and some softee hair conditioner, and then blended that. It turned to the consistency of cottage cheese so I looked to see and I guess the LS SM had a lot of water in it because water was seperating from the blend, so I try to smush it together and release the water and then drain out the water, then I continued to mix it and and it whipped up pretty nice and smooth, but I could tell the LS SM water was still in there but I added it to a jar, it actually made about 4oz and it was smooth.

I looked in the jar a while ago b/c I was convinced it was going to be seperated and nasty but it just had a little water on the top that drained up so I just shook it off.

All in all, it whipped up good, but don't ever mix it with water or LS, it hates it...lol. I will use this though tomorrow on my flat twists after I henna.
    My Fotki - 1/22
    My Twitter
    My Youtube

mzmillion wrote: »
    Well I had a little bit of shea butter left, about two more twists outs worth. So I used that, and I have already mixed together some LS aloe and MJ SSC so I added that and blended. It blended nicely and then I added some LS shea and Mango and some softee hair conditioner, and then blended that. It turned to the consistency of cottage cheese so I looked to see and I guess the LS SM had a lot of water in it because water was seperating from the blend, so I try to smush it together and release the water and then drain out the water, then I continued to mix it and and it whipped up pretty nice and smooth, but I could tell the LS SM water was still in there but I added it to a jar, it actually made about 4oz and it was smooth.

I looked in the jar a while ago b/c I was convinced it was going to be seperated and nasty but it just had a little water on the top that drained up so I just shook it off.

All in all, it whipped up good, but don't ever mix it with water or LS, it hates it...lol. I will use this though tomorrow on my flat twists after I henna.

lol! Yeah, I avoid mixing shea with anything watery, including food grade aloe. You can use an emulsifier, such as Lecithin, to bind the ingredients but I'd rather just avoid the hassle. Too much work and I'm lazy.
    Photos:

Recipes:
    I updated my fotki with pictures of my first whipped shea.
    My Fotki - 1/22
    My Twitter
    My Youtube

• msjaimmsjaim Posts: 948Registered Users
    Aello wrote: »
    I don't have a hand blender, so I make my whipped shea butter with a strong spoon and lots of elbow grease. But it never comes as light and fluffy as I would like.

Can a hand blender make it fluffier? Or is it just something off with my recipe?

-water
    -shea butter
    -olive oil
    -peppermint oil
    -lavender oil

thanks everyone!
    Hey, just to let you know I added BMTS (a conditioning emulsifying conditionerI bought from lotion crafters)to sheabutter, purified water & some oils & its wonderful! I used about 2.5 parts shea, .5 part oil & 1 part water I blended it with a stick blender. Its a soft/solid creamy consistency . when I use it on my body after showers it almost turns into a lotion & Is much more easly absorbed & when I use it on my hair to seal its lighter & a not as greasy as shea by itself

I warmed the shea till it was softened,
    melted the btms, added the oil & then added it to the shea.
    added the hot water & blended.
  • spiral-ncspiral-nc Posts: 716Registered Users
    msjaim wrote: »

-water
    -shea butter
    -olive oil
    -peppermint oil
    -lavender oil

thanks everyone!
    Hey, just to let you know I added BMTS (a conditioning emulsifying conditionerI bought from lotion crafters)to sheabutter, purified water & some oils & its wonderful! I used about 2.5 parts shea, .5 part oil & 1 part water I blended it with a stick blender. Its a soft/solid creamy consistency . when I use it on my body after showers it almost turns into a lotion & Is much more easly absorbed & when I use it on my hair to seal its lighter & a not as greasy as shea by itself

Hi Msjaime! I've been wanting to try a butter/BTMS mix too. Did you find the BTMS difficult to work with? and are you using a preservative?
    spirals, kinks, s-shapes and coils.

http://public.fotki.com/Spiral

H is for Henna and Healthy Hair!
    Use only the PURE STUFF
    spiral-nc wrote: »
    msjaim wrote: »

-water
    -shea butter
    -olive oil
    -peppermint oil
    -lavender oil

thanks everyone!

Hi Msjaime! I've been wanting to try a butter/BTMS mix too. Did you find the BTMS difficult to work with? and are you using a preservative?

hey, U should def try it... at first I was screwing up when using it, but through trial & error I figured out as long as I add melted btms to a warmed up/ melted oil or butter first before mixing it with hot water it worked fine. @ one point I was trying to add melted btms to cool/ cold products & since its like a wax it would just turn to solid chunks & separate
  • spiral-ncspiral-nc Posts: 716Registered Users
    Thanks Msjaim!
    spirals, kinks, s-shapes and coils.

http://public.fotki.com/Spiral

H is for Henna and Healthy Hair!
    Use only the PURE STUFF
  • hypnotichypnotic Posts: 613Registered Users

lol! Yeah, I avoid mixing shea with anything watery, including food grade aloe. You can use an emulsifier, such as Lecithin, to bind the ingredients but I'd rather just avoid the hassle. Too much work and I'm lazy.

Shawnette why do you avoid aloe mixed with shea? What about using a food processor to mix, would it make a difference?
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50, Nexxus Aloe Rid
    Detangling Conditioner: Oyin Honey Hemp, EO Sweet Orange
    Cowash Conditioner:
    Suave Naturals Sea Breeze, V05 Tea Therapy, Oyin Honey Hemp
    Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Spa Siam Coconut Hair Mask, Yes to Carrots Mud Mask
    Leave-in Conditioner: Afroveda NU Milk Hair Conditioner, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta Leave-in, Knot Today
    Stylers: SheaMoisture, JC Nourish and Shine, Burdock Root Butter Cream, Afroveda CocoLatte Moisture Mask
    hypnotic wrote: »

Shawnette why do you avoid aloe mixed with shea? What about using a food processor to mix, would it make a difference?

I don't avoid aloe. Just food grade aloe. I use the skincare aloe because foodgrade is very watery and doesn't mix well, so you have to use an emulsifier (even if you use a food processor). Wayyy too much work when you can just use FOTE or Jason or some other brand of pure aloe that's made for skincare and not have any of those issues.
    Photos:

Recipes:
  • hypnotichypnotic Posts: 613Registered Users

I don't avoid aloe. Just food grade aloe. I use the skincare aloe because foodgrade is very watery and doesn't mix well, so you have to use an emulsifier (even if you use a food processor). Wayyy too much work when you can just use FOTE or Jason or some other brand of pure aloe that's made for skincare and not have any of those issues.

THANKS i dont know what I have at home I will check.
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50, Nexxus Aloe Rid
    Detangling Conditioner: Oyin Honey Hemp, EO Sweet Orange
    Cowash Conditioner:
    Suave Naturals Sea Breeze, V05 Tea Therapy, Oyin Honey Hemp
    Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Spa Siam Coconut Hair Mask, Yes to Carrots Mud Mask
    Leave-in Conditioner: Afroveda NU Milk Hair Conditioner, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta Leave-in, Knot Today
    Stylers: SheaMoisture, JC Nourish and Shine, Burdock Root Butter Cream, Afroveda CocoLatte Moisture Mask
    ive made shealoe with food grade aloe and had no prob with it separating...i added coconut oil and a lil glycerine. whipped it with my stick blender and was cool. i normally dont use the one specified for skin because most of them have some sort of carbomer added to make it a gel.
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    My hair loves shea just plain and raw. I use that instead of pomade some times. Especially if I'm getting dry knots on the ends. I get the unrefined shea from someone on ebay and it seems to be very high grade stuff that's pretty inexpensive.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file