I should stay away from that site on a bad hair day...

curlykyecurlykye Registered Users Posts: 430
Let me just say...I should stay away from LHCF on a bad hair day. :hiding:

I find myself clicking on threads like "Best Relaxer"...."I Just Texlaxed"..."My Waist Length Relaxed Hair"

I then start reading how good certain relaxers are and thinking that my hair can handle it....knowing full well, that I my hair does not do well straight and wearing relaxed hair curly (my natural state) is just crazy.

But I have been having some serious issues with my hair feeling dry and brittle in the crown area and I keep trying to tell myself "Don't even think about it?" :director:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Relaxer: December 2007
Last Chop of Relaxed Ends/Officially 100% Natural: April 19, 2009

http://public.fotki.com/CurlyKye/

Join me at www.sparkpeople.com (If you look for me, I'm "KyeIsGettingFit")

Comments

• eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Registered Users Posts: 4,151 Curl Connoisseur
    It's natural to have those moments. I think most women on here have had those days where you about THIS close to doing something drastic.

But luckily most know that it's a fleeting feeling, and you're back in love with your hair after figuring out what's wrong.

What products have you been using? I noticed I had drier hair when I used products high in protein. Once I cut it out or minimized it, it made a HUGE difference. And since the weather is changing, that can affect how our hair responds to products. I'm sure I'll have to switch up products again once the weather stabilizes. LOL!
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    curlykye wrote: »

I find myself clicking on threads like "Best Relaxer"...."I Just Texlaxed"..."My Waist Length Relaxed Hair"

I then start reading how good certain relaxers are and thinking that my hair can handle it....knowing full well, that I my hair does not do well straight and wearing relaxed hair curly (my natural state) is just crazy.

But I have been having some serious issues with my hair feeling dry and brittle in the crown area and I keep trying to tell myself "Don't even think about it?" :director:
    back away from the computer very slowly :evil2:
    (btw, your hair looks beautiful in your strip)
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    I belong to that site too. I try to open the natural threads as much as possible to give me inspiration. I love to find naturals that have managed to get to waistlength. And to get my straightie fix, I look at the rollersetting, blow out, and flat iron threads. Trust me, I understand what you are saying though.

AND your hair is fab in your siggie!
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • shakeshake Registered Users Posts: 404
    waveznculrs your kids are gorgeous!
    comic-p.jpg

http://fotki.com/shake-shake

Peace, Light, and Love
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    shake wrote: »
    waveznculrs your kids are gorgeous!
    thanks shake!
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    I was just on LHCF and someone posed a similar question to yours:

"I've been natural for 4 1/2 years and am now locked. When I first went natural I said I'd never get a relaxer neva eva eva again. Now I just require whatever hair state I choose to be healthy and hawt..

Joining LHCF made me see that my relaxed hair could be all that and more wht the proper techniques. I've never had a problem with growth whether relaxed or natural but overprocessing and heat made me shed like crazy while relaxed and my hair would get thinned out.

I've recently concluded that if I ever take my locs down I'll probably relax because going back to loose hair isnt' that appealing to me. But I'm a bit conflicted because I love love my natural texture and how being natural makes me stand out from others.

So what say you LHCF naturals, do all these progress pics test you? lachen70.gif"

I said no. I do admire some of the relaxed haired ladies on the site and hey more power to them if that's what they like. But as for me and my hair... hell no! Its not an option, desire, nothing. Just thinking about transitioning again is enough to scare me straight.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    But I have been having some serious issues with my hair feeling dry and brittle in the crown area
    For me that's a protein overload alert. It could also be silicone build up. Check your product ingredients.

I like the straight naturals on LHCF, allows me to live vicariously since I rarely straighten.

Suggestion - try scrunching some butter or butter blend on your wet ends before applying a styler. And when you apply product, bend over and rake it down your crown area from the root.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • Kinks74Kinks74 Registered Users Posts: 394
    Curlykye, listen to your hair. Its gorgeous and looks healthy. It seems to like being natural. You'd be crazy to cut it or texturize.

@ Mariag002 & all - Maybe we should start doing more progress pics/posts on nc.com too?
    Kinks, kinks and more kinks :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Goodies: KBB Hair Mask, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, Oyin Juices & Berries, Oyin Shine & Define, Oyin Whipped Pudding
    Faves & Raves: Oyin Juices & Berries, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, CBSS WSHP, KCCC, Henna :love4:
    Not so Goodies: Proteins & heavy oils...
    Current Challenge: kinky & twisted! (ahem, two-strand twisted) :toothy7:
  • mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte
    Kinks74 wrote: »
    Curlykye, listen to your hair. Its gorgeous and looks healthy. It seems to like being natural. You'd be crazy to cut it or texturize.

@ Mariag002 & all - Maybe we should start doing more progress pics/posts on nc.com too?

OMG that is an excellent idea!!!

I go to that site because they're big on long hair and posting progress pictures, which keeps me inspired.

I come to THIS site because everyone here is big on overall hair health and its more of a family atmosphere.

So I like the best of both worlds and they keep that balance that I like between healthy and long hair.
    :glasses10:
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    The only reason I post very few photos on any forum is that they are all "googleable" is that a word? I post on Fotki and can restrict distribution. As it is, if I google my "name" I can see my fotki URL too.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • TotallyTwistedTotallyTwisted Registered Users Posts: 284
    OP looking at your pinkstrips I would loudly say "Don't do it!". Everyone has bad hair days even if you were relaxed you'd have bad hair days too and then wish you were curly again. I just bc'd and altho it's great fun I can't wait for it to grow long again, so as previous poster said imagine if you do, do it and then have to chop it off and start over again, that would scare me too lol. Some days I wake up and look at my twa and ask myself why in the world did I relax 7 yrs ago, bc if I didn't I wouldn't be going thru this now. You have beautiful curls btw.:blob8:
    In the process of emptying my cabinets.

Conditioners that work FOUND
    Poo that works FOUND
    Currently trying to formulate the perfect styling pudding. Once that happens all other things left over will be thrown out, given away. From then on I'm only buying to RESTOCK. :happy2:
    Ultimate hair goal: soft, healthy APL unstretched
    "Don't remove the kinks from your hair, remove them from your brain." -Marcus Garvey
  • curlykyecurlykye Registered Users Posts: 430
    See I knew you all would reel me back in. I visit all the sites, LCHF, BHM, Napp (not as much), and here. I agree with Maria that I go to LCHF for the length info but NC is my home. You ladies know the real deal *haha*

1) I'm just like you Maria, when relaxed, my hair shed and broke off like crazy due to overprocessing.

2) Yes, transitioning is definitely something that I do NOT want to go through again.

3) Eccentric & SBB, you know what it might be, my hair LOVES [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] in twists or more "protective/controlled" styles but it reeks havoc on my wash n go. And that is with applying a leave-in and oil underneath. I don't really think it's protein or buildup but I'm going to start keeping a hair journal to find the culprit. I washed my hair last night and applied KBB hair milk and Qhemets Alma & Olive Cream and braided it up to give my hair a rest and it's definitely feeling softer. I'm definitely going to have to play around with what will work better for that. I've ordered a few butters to make my own whipped butters (a la Fluertzy). So we will see.

I'm not giving up....no ma'am. I've come too far. And I have nightmares of my shedded hair all over the bathroom floor, sink, toilet and everywhere else and it gets me back on track.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• PrettycurlsPrettycurls Registered Users Posts: 1,482
    Your hair is so beautiful. Don't do that. :)
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

http://members.fotki.com/Prettycurls/about/ pw:curlspretty

• FleurztyFleurzty Registered Users Posts: 795
    Just remember that relaxers don't promise better hair days. It is just an illusion. My hair definitely feels better also when it is in a protective style. I like my wash n go and how easy it is to create compared to protective styling but in the long run protective styles are much easier. I started wash and gos again 2 weeks ago or so and I have gone through a bottle of conditioner already :cwm10:. I am no longer used to this. Try giving your hair a break from wash n gos and see if your hair improves from that.
  • KitathenaKitathena Registered Users Posts: 1,666 Curl Neophyte

I think relaxer on top of that brittle dry area would only make things worst. :confused2:

I agree that the hair on LHCF has really made me change my mind on relaxed hair looking nice. It doesn't ever really make me want to go back to the relaxer though.

I think we all have those feelings every once in awhile. I usually feel that slight tugging whenever I look at picture of my old relaxed hair. It gets less and less though as time goes on.
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
  • pulchri2dinouspulchri2dinous Registered Users Posts: 1,014
    Kinks74 wrote: »

It would be nice to have a "Progress Pics" section or even a thread where people could go for inspiration. :dontknow:
    4, fine, low-medium density, low porosity

event.png

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius
    Didn't we have one of those floating around here?

Edit: Here it is

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=32814&highlight=progress
    Your hair is so beautiful. Don't do that. :)

Thank you so much!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fluertzy & Kitathena....I follow your blogs and I really do appreciate the advice that your blogs provide. Plus after I'm done gawking at relaxed hair in LCHF...I just go to your sites and curlynikki's to get my empowering dose of how beautiful and versatile natural hair is. Not to mention, the flashbacks I have of how much my hair used to shed all over EVERYTHING.

I lurk and think a lot of those ladies have beautiful hair :lurk: but I think of it this way (when it comes to relaxed AND natural hair)...

1) Most people post pics of their hair when it looks its absolutely best

2) Envy is not becoming because who knows what people's hair looks like aside from the pics they post

3) Most importantly, as much as I get googly eyed at someone's hair in admiration, someone is get googly eyed at mine in equal admiration :toothy7:

I luv all the nc.com ladies for the inspiration we provide and the care and concern show to folks when we have our bad hair days!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fluertzy & Kitathena....I follow your blogs and I really do appreciate the advice that your blogs provide. Plus after I'm done gawking at relaxed hair in LCHF...I just go to your sites and curlynikki's to get my empowering dose of how beautiful and versatile natural hair is. Not to mention, the flashbacks I have of how much my hair used to shed all over EVERYTHING.

I lurk and think a lot of those ladies have beautiful hair :lurk: but I think of it this way (when it comes to relaxed AND natural hair)...

1) Most people post pics of their hair when it looks its absolutely best

2) Envy is not becoming because who knows what people's hair looks like aside from the pics they post

3) Most importantly, as much as I get googly eyed at someone's hair in admiration, someone is get googly eyed at mine in equal admiration :toothy7:

I luv all the nc.com ladies for the inspiration we provide and the care and concern show to folks when we have our bad hair days!!

All three points so true!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file