Should a 5 yr. old have a raised mole?

jmwjmw Registered Users Posts: 130
My daughter just turned 5 last month. She has two moles that she has had since birth. One on her arm has always been dark, flush with the skin, and roundish, but has recently become raised. The other (on her other arm) is small, dark and round, but is now becoming hard and pimple-like to the touch. I just thought it was weird for a 5 year old to have these type of moles. I have been trying to find information on this, but most of what I have found has been pretty vague. For example, one symptom might be normal, but the same sympton could mean something is wrong. It's very confusing, and even if it is totally normal for someone to have it, I'm not sure if that means it is normal for a 5 year old.
Here is a picture, but not a good one. Hard to photograph skin with my camera.
Hair Type: 3a/3b

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    take her to a doctor immediately. don't ask strangers online...
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I second the dr.

ABCD with moles is what to look for.

Asymetrical
    Border (raised)
    Color (uneven)
    and diameter (increasing)
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Registered Users Posts: 6,959
    My daughter was born with a dark mole on her hip. With each passing year it got larger and furrier. The Dr. removed it when she was in kindergarten. She said if it had remained, her changes of getting skin cancer were astronomically higher than someone without a mole. Now that it is gone, she is no more likely than the rest of us to have skin cancer.

Have a Dr. look at it. Why wait?
    Minneapolis, MN
  • Hermoine™ Hermoine™ Banned Banned Users Posts: 35
    A pediatric dermatologist will be able to help, although typically, the attending physician at the birthing would have disclosed full medical issues once the check-up and blood work was complete as all internal and/or anomalies (lesions/tumors/cleft-palate/other defects,etc.)are recorded as well as distinguishing Natural Characteristics (such as eye-color/hair-color/skin/birthmarks/freckles/etc...).

good luck to you both.
  • riotkittyriotkitty Registered Users Posts: 1,307 Curl Connoisseur
    While I agree with a trip to the doctor advice, I just wanted to let you know that I've seen kids with raised moles growing up, including myself. I've had this raised mole on my inner hip for as long as I can remember (I'm 29), and as far as I know its nothing.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Agree with all who said see dr. right away. Dermatologist. Better safe than sorry.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    The raised mole in and of itself is not uncommon - I and most of my family have had them since birth. It's the fact that they've changed that I think needs to be checked out.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file