extreme dry hair

canelacanela Registered Users Posts: 218
Hello ladies,
A month ago I did a deep conditioner treatment with an egg and hair mayonaise root stimulator now I have straw hair. I know some of you ladies talked about protein overload doing this, how do I repair my hair moisture now?
Hair type: mix of everything but bushy
"Do not brush curly hair, it makes it look like bad scribbles"
my 5 year old curly haired girl, now a teen

Comments

• ParatyParaty Registered Users Posts: 394
    canela wrote: »
    Hello ladies,
    A month ago I did a deep conditioner treatment with an egg and hair mayonaise root stimulator now I have straw hair. I know some of you ladies talked about protein overload doing this, how do I repair my hair moisture now?

Did you follow the protein treatment with a deep conditioner (moisturizing one, not protein)? If not, then you will need a deep treatment.

Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose - Apply to damp hair, not wet, leave on for 30 min. - 1 hour, or as long as you feel is necessary. Using a plastic shower cap will help it penetrate more or you can use a hooded dryer if you have one. You should be able to find this at a local health food store or at Whole Foods.

Lustrasilk Shea + Mango conditioner with an oil (olive, coconut etc.) applied to damp or wet hair, left on for 30 min-1hour or as long as you feel is necessary. You should be able to find this at a beauty supply store (Sally's or local) or grocery store. The Aubrey's is better, but if you can't find it, this is the next best local thing.

Check out the haircare guide at the top of the 4b forum for more recommendations for deep treatments (some are online, some are local).
    Hair • Wellness • Style Blog

Routine: Cleanse Kenra Clarifying, Deep Co with Matrix Biolage Balm + oil (EVOO, avocado, KCPP or Wild Growth oil),:glasses1:Style with Matrix Biolage Balm + KCPP; or Aloe water + KCPP + KCCC; or CR Almond Jai + styler (KCCC, KCPP or Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Treluxe combo (Treluxe UK leave-in, KCPP, Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Eco gel alone (Argan or Olive). Avoiding Buildup with low glycerin, coconut, shea, honey, non-keratin protein.
  • Kinks74Kinks74 Registered Users Posts: 394
    Sounds like protein overload to me too.
    Kinks, kinks and more kinks :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Goodies: KBB Hair Mask, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, Oyin Juices & Berries, Oyin Shine & Define, Oyin Whipped Pudding
    Faves & Raves: Oyin Juices & Berries, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, CBSS WSHP, KCCC, Henna :love4:
    Not so Goodies: Proteins & heavy oils...
    Current Challenge: kinky & twisted! (ahem, two-strand twisted) :toothy7:
  • Curly AllyCurly Ally Registered Users Posts: 34
    The same thing happened to me yesterday... I did an egg/EVOO/mayo treatment last night, and followed with LVPNG (which I realized later contains protein). Today my hair felt horribly dry, frizzy and like straw...

I did moisturizing treatment with honey, EVOO and a moisturizing condish and now my hair feels amazing!! You just need a DT moisturizing treatment to undo some of the damage.
    My hair loooves moisture! Protein and my hair do not get along... they recently had a falling out. :laughing9: Just kidding, thankfully!

CONDISH: Suave Apple
    GEL: Tresemme Bouncy Curls
    MIRACLE PRODUCT: Aloe Vera Gel

I'm a Drugstore Diva! ;-)
  • canelacanela Registered Users Posts: 218
    I did a deep conditioner with avocado oil and washed with shampoo olive oil kind and conditioned with bumble and bumble coconut. Thanks for the help

Paraty- I could not find either conditioner but I will keep looking.

curly ally which conditioner you used?
    Hair type: mix of everything but bushy
    "Do not brush curly hair, it makes it look like bad scribbles"
    my 5 year old curly haired girl, now a teen
  • Kinks74Kinks74 Registered Users Posts: 394
    I am very protein sensitive and its hard to find conditioners without protein esp. deep condishes. I use Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose, KBB condish and mask and Jessicurl Weekly Deep Treatment. All are staples. I've not tried the Lustrasilk but I plan to.
    Kinks, kinks and more kinks :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Goodies: KBB Hair Mask, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, Oyin Juices & Berries, Oyin Shine & Define, Oyin Whipped Pudding
    Faves & Raves: Oyin Juices & Berries, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, CBSS WSHP, KCCC, Henna :love4:
    Not so Goodies: Proteins & heavy oils...
    Current Challenge: kinky & twisted! (ahem, two-strand twisted) :toothy7:
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Registered Users Posts: 2,607 Curl Neophyte
    You could try Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner mixed with raw honey. It does contain soy protein but only a small amount, will have no effect on your hair.

Aubrey Organics honeysuckle rose is another good moisturizing deep conditioner. It didn't do anything for my hair but many other women swear by it. Again, add moisturizing ingredients to up the moisture levels in the conditioner.

Also, if any of your styling products(gels and etc) contain proteins than you might want to stay off of those for a while until you get your moisture back.
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file