A Sucker At Whole Foods

SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Yes, that would be me.John Masters Organics has a new product called Shine On and there was a tester. I liked it.

so300-th.jpg

Aloe barbadensis (aloe vera leaf juice) gel,* aqua (water), glycerin, guar gum,* sodium alginate, daucus carota sativa (carrot) seed oil,* olea europaea (olive) oil,* calendula officinalis (calendula) extract,* anthemis nobilis (chamomile) extract,* xanthane gum, methylcellulose gum, macrocystis pyrifera (kelp) extract,* marine phytoplankton, ***us sylvatica (beech) extract*

It's a clear sort of gelly-like pomade but not greasy.

What I left on the shelf - MGA gel and some new conditioner. And they had a Theraneem display and whaddya know I bought the Theraneem Botanical Fading cream. Oh and they had FloraSmart 30 billion probiotics. All in all, a good haul for half an hour.

Have you gone into Whole Foods for some little thing and walked out with hair and/or other personal products and a much lighter wallet?
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

Comments

• alisons79alisons79 Posts: 680Registered Users
    I went in yesterday for 2 things....

- A new conditioner that was moisturizing but without a whole lot of oils.

-A new gel that would have natural ingredients so that I can continue to use my TE.

$60 later...I walked out with...

- 3 new conditioners

- A new gel

- A new body wash
    3A/3B
    I love Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Too Shea, KCKT, KCCC, CK and HESMU...but it took a LOT of trial error to get to these products that consistently work for ME.
  • AprilnUtahAprilnUtah Posts: 519Registered Users Curl Novice
    Yes, that would be me.John Masters Organics has a new product called Shine On and there was a tester. I liked it.

so300-th.jpg

Aloe barbadensis (aloe vera leaf juice) gel,* aqua (water), glycerin, guar gum,* sodium alginate, daucus carota sativa (carrot) seed oil,* olea europaea (olive) oil,* calendula officinalis (calendula) extract,* anthemis nobilis (chamomile) extract,* xanthane gum, methylcellulose gum, macrocystis pyrifera (kelp) extract,* marine phytoplankton, ***us sylvatica (beech) extract*

It's a clear sort of gelly-like pomade but not greasy.

I've been thinking about trying JMO Shine On. I love the Sweet Orange and Silk gel. Would you mind posting an update on this and let us know how you're using it and what your results are? :toothy8:
    April
    3a/b, med texture, med porosity, low dews

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I was there this a.m. I am also a sucker for all their food too. I only bought one hair item (MGA sculpting gel) but I ended up spending over $50 total.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • melaniesusanmelaniesusan Posts: 948Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My brother-in-law jokingly calls it "Whole Paycheck." :angel3:
    hair type: 2B/3A
    low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
    condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab
    winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
    summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CIAB + Curl Queen
    http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
  • Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This shine on looks interesting. Is there any hold or will it make my fine hair limp?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • CammybCammyb Posts: 576Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Please review it for us. It looks like something I'd want to try
    uXBum4.png

"There’s just an certain aura a woman exudes when she has natural hair. She walks differently. Her swag is on full tilt. There’s a sense of confidence and je ne sais quoi that emanates from her spirit. Whatever it is it’s sexy as all hell and turns me on" -Anslem Samuel
    www.fotki.com/1cammyb
    www.piinkcamellias.blogspot.com
    www.youtube.com/1cammyb
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This shine on looks interesting. Is there any hold or will it make my fine hair limp?
    No hold. So far I'm using a fingertipful on dry hair as a "fluffer". It's good for scrunching out crunch. Guess I'll try on wet hair too.
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 697Registered Users Curl Novice
    Those of you who have the funds and can shop, don't beat yourself up; you are doing your patriotic duty by helping to stimulate the economy, and what's more, you are making the world a more beautiful place with your fabulous hair. I salute you!:salut:
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • diggitydiggity Posts: 58Registered Users
    What kind of product is this? A styler? I would really like to try some John Masters products.
    3Aish hair, thin and fine-to-medium in texture, couple inches past shoulder length
    Routine:
    Wash/Condition: Jessicurl GLS, Aloeba, Too Shea
    Curly: GVP The Cream (love this)
    Straight: Ojon Tunu on wet hair, Aveda Smoothing Fluid and Style Prep Smoother before flat ironing or blow drying
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Those of you who have the funds and can shop, don't beat yourself up; you are doing your patriotic duty by helping to stimulate the economy, and what's more, you are making the world a more beautiful place with your fabulous hair. I salute you!:salut:
    Well said! But I'm kind of thankful that there is no Whole Foods in my "immediate" vicinity...didn't know they carried MGA, though...
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Well said! But I'm kind of thankful that there is no Whole Foods in my "immediate" vicinity...didn't know they carried MGA, though...

That's exactly what I'm worrying about.......
    What kind of product is this? A styler? I would really like to try some John Masters products.
    It's pretty pricy so I won't be using it generously. The other JMO product I love is the Citrus & Neroli Detangler conditioner. The Gel is quite good but I can get similar/better results with less pricey gels. I've also tried the Bourbon Tangerine texturizer and the Rosemary Peppermint Detangler but wasn't impressed.
    This natural, leave-in hair treatment uses organic kelp in place of synthetic silicone to smooth the hair shaft, leaving hair shiny and soft, all day long. A great natural-shine alternative to petroleum-based products. 6 additional certified-organic plant extracts help condition the hair. Safe for color-treated hair 4 oz.

propertiestan.gif
    • organic kelp creates incredible shine, volume and softness
    • gives a natural looking shine without weighing hair down
    • does not leave oily build up on the hair shaft, which leads to dullness
    • contains no petroleum-based silicone

usagetan.gif
    • great for all hair types, even fine hair
    • to add shine and volume to dull, limp hair
    • excellent leave-in hair treatment to strengthen and fortify hair

directionstan.gif
    • apply to wet or dry hair
    • style as usual
    • add more as needed for increased softness and shine
    comic-p.jpg

• SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    I have to time my visits to Whole Foods very carefully. I only allow myself so many a month (or year). Right now, they're the only place that carries something that I eat regularly, so obviously I HAVE to go (but I stock up).

My WF doesn't carry a lot of hair products. It's kind of a blessing, but I wish they did carry the Kinky Curly. And Jessicurl. Oh, and about a billion other things.

I haven't had much luck with kelp in stylers, but I like it in conditioners.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
    ninja dog wrote: »

That's exactly what I'm worrying about.......

It's funny - not all them carry both gels. I found the styling gel very easily but have seen the sculpting gel only at a couple of them.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Of course, I had to try the tester when I was at WF this morning. I hadn't read the thread really well--I guess the shock of the price got me! I thought this was a serum--not a leave in! I put a little bit on my hair while I was checking out the hair aisle. Usually, my hands feel great after using most of these products--I just rub the oils in--this stuff left them sticky and horrible until I could wash them!

It's a really windy day today, so nothing could keep hair in order. I did dampen it a little when I got home. Let it dry and scrunched--at this point, I have tight, curly frizz, LOL! I guess the next time I go try it--I'll have to put it in soaking wet hair and style as usual.

I can't believe the price--it's double Curls Gel-les'c and almost four times as much as Komaza Califia LI--what's so special?? The Califia line has algae--is that so different then kelp? Kelp is seaweed--not expensive. Most of the ingredients I see are inexpensive. Here are the ingredients for the Califia LI:

Ingredients: Water, Dipalmitoylethyldimonium Chloride (A derivative of Palm Oil), Aloe Vera, Shea Nut Oil, Algae Extract, Behentrimonium, Polyquaternium 10, Quaternium 87, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate, Cinnamom Cassia..

Sorry to run on--but I don't understand the price on this, at all!
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My brother-in-law jokingly calls it "Whole Paycheck." :angel3:
    great name that really fits :laughing9:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry to run on--but I don't understand the price on this, at all!
    Why I chose to title the thread as I did.

I have to say though, I've been using it on my dry hair every morning and my 4-day hair feels so good. Don't get me wrong - looks-wise it's 4 day hair :-D I have a headband on.
    comic-p.jpg

• tonsofcurlztonsofcurlz Posts: 323Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Snarls wrote: »

My WF doesn't carry a lot of hair products. It's kind of a blessing, but I wish they did carry the Kinky Curly. And Jessicurl. Oh, and about a billion other things.

Snarls - If you haven't already, you should email your WF location to request the Kinky Curly products. There's a product request link on the page. I emailed both a Cambridge and Boston Whole Foods asking them to carry the line as some of the other Whole Foods do and the Cambridge one emailed me back. This was their response:

We are in the process of trying to bring this product into this region. Our regional team has informed me that they are looking into it. It may take some time but with the sales results in the rest of the regions I am pretty confident we will get it here as well.

It sounds as though they know the products would be a good fit!
    3b, fine texture, low to normal porosity
    Low Poos:
    MOP C Hydrating, JC HCC, Ion Swimmer's Poo
    Condish: GVP Balm, Kenra, Tigi Oatmeal/Honey, DE Coconut
    Leave-In: BWC, Abba Gentle, KBB Nectar, GFTN
    Stylers: CJ AF/CIAB, SS CEJ/FHG, QCCC, Komaza Puddings, EW SAJ or Alba Soft Curl w/KKSS, Kenra, Homemade FSG, AOMM, CK/QB HTSG

Save $5 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: SOF540.

Snarls - If you haven't already, you should email your WF location to request the Kinky Curly products. There's a product request link on the page. I emailed both a Cambridge and Boston Whole Foods asking them to carry the line as some of the other Whole Foods do and the Cambridge one emailed me back. This was their response:

We are in the process of trying to bring this product into this region. Our regional team has informed me that they are looking into it. It may take some time but with the sales results in the rest of the regions I am pretty confident we will get it here as well.

I wish all the Whole Foods carried all the same stuff. I will stop into one while traveling for business and figure I can pick up something and I will go in and find they don't carry it. I do love the stores but it would be nice if they all carried the same stuff. For instance I found the Bellingham WF carried Theraneem Leaf & Aloe gel but it was on sale and on the shelf it said to make room for another product so I am assuming if I go in that store again they might not have it. I had seen other types of products by the same company but not the aloe gel in other stores.
    Central Massachusetts

• Kinks74Kinks74 Posts: 394Registered Users

I'm so gonna do this. WF should carry more curl friendly products. I also would love to see JC and KBB there too! I too am a sucker @ WF.
    Kinks, kinks and more kinks :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Current Goodies: KBB Hair Mask, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, Oyin Juices & Berries, Oyin Shine & Define, Oyin Whipped Pudding
    Faves & Raves: Oyin Juices & Berries, KBB Deep Condish, JC WDT, CBSS WSHP, KCCC, Henna :love4:
    Not so Goodies: Proteins & heavy oils...
    Current Challenge: kinky & twisted! (ahem, two-strand twisted) :toothy7:
  • madhuri_dixit_fanmadhuri_dixit_fan Posts: 310Registered Users
    Hey, I'll have to find a tester of that new John Masters and try it out. But, I'm certain I won't purchase it since it seems to cost the same as a small car, lol.

I'm a WF Super Sucker Shopper. Been shopping there twice a week for 8+ years. All the long time staff have known my kids since before they were born, lol. Too many times to count I've picked up more than was on our list, and my kids and my hubz are always quick to note that they could have gotten a computer upgrade or video game instead of what I just bought for our hair, lol. However, my latest evil has been buying various soy scented candles knowing fullly that we don't need them. If my local WF gets the Kinky Curly line, then, oh well, my family will have to do an intervention quick or we'll be eating those soy candles so I can try that line, lol.
    RIP Natasha Richardson

Holy Grails: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner, AVG, EVO Coconut Oil, Amla Oil, KC Spiral Spritz, Brahmi Oil, Tea Tree eo, Rosemary eo, Distilled H2O, Aloe Vera Juice, Neem Oil, ACV, Dr. Bonner's Skikakai Castile Soap, Avocado Oil

Sometimes: AOMM Jelly, KCNT, KCCC
  • melaniesusanmelaniesusan Posts: 948Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Has anyone tried the JMO hair pomade? It was recommended in the latest curl reading article as a good anti-humectant pomade (useful in dew points over 60 degrees F).

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/ingredients/humidity-humectants-and-the-dew-point

The ingredients look appealing, although it's pricey ($20 on curlmart).

Hair Pomade by John Masters Organics
    Ingredients: Extra virgin olive oil, organic beeswax, mango butter, babassu oil, jojoba, wheat germ oil, pure essential oils of bay laurel, cedar atlas, fir balsam and massoia, vitamins A, C & E. Certified Organic Ingredients.
    hair type: 2B/3A
    low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
    condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab
    winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
    summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CIAB + Curl Queen
    http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    SBB, I noticed the "Shine On" has guar gum in it. Are you experiencing any issues with that?

I pass by Whole Foods three days out of my work week. I am actually not tempted to go in it...or usually, I'm not...the only time I get a small temptation is after reading about some product sold there on this forum. Darn you, Naturallycurly!!!
    I'm trying to simplify my routine, and so far doing a good job, so I have tied down the product junkie in me and gagged her. I don't think I'll be hearing from her for awhile...that's if, none of you release her!!! (suspiciously looking at all of you)
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
    SBB, I noticed the "Shine On" has guar gum in it. Are you experiencing any issues with that?
    No bad effects.

I've been using this for about a week now and I really like it. Didn't really notice any wow effect on wet hair, but it's great for my dry hair.
    comic-p.jpg

• CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    I want to love John Master's products, but I don't have the curl for them..:(

Last time I was in Whole Foods, I went in for eggs and came out $85 poorer, my husband said it's more like a playground then a grocery store, I have to agree.
    2b/3a.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file