ACV and citric acid

lisa_jlisa_j Posts: 153Registered Users
Hi ~ I'm new to the process and just getting started. Today was my first day with all new healthy products, thanks to Kathymack. I can already tell the different, even though I used too much conditioner. It will be better tomorrow!

I'm cloudy on ACV and citric acid. Are they interchangeable or not used for the same purpose? My understanding is that ACV is generally used about once a month, if they're not used for the same thing, how often do you generally use citric acid?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    They are both acids and interchangeable. They do a few things. Some people consider it a kind of "clarifying," preventing over conditioning or removing some types of buildup caused by cowashing or products--but not 'cones. They restore hair pH and are important after using soap and shampoo bars, which are alkaline.

It depends on who you believe as to how frequently you can use them. Struttswife, a Deva trained stylist, who frequents these boards and blogs about curly hair, suggests once a month. When I was cowashing, my stylist said I could do it as frequently as I wanted to--which was three or four times a week. I did that from Feb to Sept with not noticeable adverse effect. I now do something to restore pH whenever I use a soap bar--ACV, citric acid or AfroDetangler as my leave in.

It's been suggested that citric acid can also help with mineral build up caused by hard water.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lisa_jlisa_j Posts: 153Registered Users
    Thanks, Kathymack ~ I'm sure you told me that already, but there was so much information to take in! Still trying to get a handle on it all!

Your products arrived in record time, thanks so much!
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The most important thing in all of this is to get comfortable with and love your hair!
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file