Having a hard time leaving my hair alone...did I CG right?

I just did my first cowash. I have been washing my hair with baking soda/water and rinsing with apple cider vinegar/water for a few weeks. So, I just did CO this time (just read CG yesterday). I bought Nature's Gate Lavendar & Aloe conditioner and Giovanni hair gel. I followed the CG method except I plopped my hair for 20 minutes. Then, I pulled it out of the microfiber towel and put clips at the part-roots. I don't know if I clipped it right. Anyway, It's been about an hour and 15 minutes and I haven't touched my hair. It's still pretty wet (it's VERY thick). It's chin-length, so I think I used too much gel...oops. It's really crunchy. Everything in me wants to start scrunching it! But, I'm trying to wait until it's completely dry. I'm so used to twirling it around my fingers and messing with it a ton...it's hard to leave it alone! I hope it looks good dry. It looks pretty good wet...it's just flat. I'm hoping once it's dry & I scrunch the crunch out, it'll get some more volume. I'm a little wary of clipping the roots, too...seems like it would make the curls weird in the front.

So, how do you girls (and guys) do it? Did I do it right?

Comments

• ArtisticdaisyArtisticdaisy Posts: 24Registered Users
    Sounds good. I don't normally plop longer than 5 - 10 mins cause I get really frizzy if I do. But the not touching it is definitely hard, I agree with you. I just wanna touch and play with all the curls. After wearing my hair straight for so long its like an obsession.

I am still getting used to the CG method but I think I am finally getting the hang of it.
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    Sounds like a good routine. It is agonizing waiting for it to dry. Mine takes 5-6 hours this time of year if I don't diffuse at all.

How'd it turn out?
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • purplecurls27purplecurls27 Posts: 73Registered Users
    Sounds like a good routine. It is agonizing waiting for it to dry. Mine takes 5-6 hours this time of year if I don't diffuse at all.

How'd it turn out?

I will post pictures later. It looked ok. It is still incredibly dry! I really want more root lift, and so far clipping has done nothing :( When I went to bed, I could tell the roots were still a little damp. When I woke up, YIKES! It was awful. It was very dry and gross looking. So, I jumped in the shower and did step 3 from CG again. I applied conditioner all over and only let a little bit of it wash out (with cool water). I put a TINY bit of gel in it (I think there was way too much yesterday...a tablespoon is just too much in my short hair). I then plopped for about 10 minutes. Then, I did the pixie curl diffuser method because I am limited on time. I only diffused a tiny bit. I then put root clips in, just to see if they help today. I will have to take it all down in about 20 minutes. I'm certain it won't be fully dry, but I have to leave so I can't leave it in! I will probably have to pull my bangs back so they don't do funky things while I'm out. Let's hope it looks better...I soooo don't want to have to wet it and let it dry for 5 hours every day! I would really like to just be able to spritz it on day 2 and maybe 3, then cowash again.
    Ok, here are some pictures. This is really pic heavy!

Day 1 - Yesterday, I did the co-wash and rinse out, with plopping, clips and too much gel afterwards.

day1cg3-284.jpg

day1cg3-28.jpg

This was this morning...yikes! My hair is still so stinkin' dry. I hope after a couple of weeks, it will look better!

AHHHmorningofday2.jpg

I tried to spritz it with lavendar water and clip the curls up like the book said, but it didn't work. So, I got in the shower and did a rinse out. I used much less gel this morning. I plopped for 10 minutes, then diffused (pixie curl) a little, then did a root lift with clips (worked a little but not much). Here's what it looked like a few minutes ago:

day23-294.jpg

day23-292.jpg

day23-29.jpg

Still very dry

day23-299-1.jpg

These are before shots (back in February).

2-26-09beforecurly4.jpg

2-26-09beforecurly.jpg

Here's a before of straightened hair:
    straightened3-20-09-1.jpg

Ok, so am I a 3a or what? Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations for what might help my very dry, hard, brittle hair?? My underneath curls (right around my ears mostly) aren't curling near as much as the rest of my hair...what can I do to help that?
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    Brave girl showing the morning pix! :laughing9:

I'd say you're probably a 3A if you have that much curl and your hair is still not moisturized. For the record it doesn't "look" dry. It looks beautiful and very healthy.

The products I use are in my siggie but I have a hard time with being overconditioned so I don't have much advice on full moisture conditioners. I hear others say that the LVPNG (L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss) is a nice conditioner for drier hair though.

I don't know what the combo to multi-day hair is. Whether it's moisture, texture, type, length or some combo of those :dontknow: You'll have to experiment to see how long you can go between washes. I usually go a week but I was CG for about a year before I attempted that. Before I then I co-washed and conditioned every 2-3 days. I was ok to leave my hair damp underneath as long as the top was dry. And I've been known to do a light scrunch when just the top is dry if I'm looking to crunchy.

I will say that, for me, product used and amount used is directly proportionate to the length of time it takes for my hair to dry. On days I use my usual amount of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] it takes forever to dry. Conversely, if I just use leave in and gel (like yesterday) it dries much faster. Also takes a long time if I use a bunch of different products and particularly if I throw [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] into the mix.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    YOur hair doesn't look dry to me but you're getting a diff hair pattern than the feb ones I see. Are you using the same products?

I don't know if it's the time of year or what but I can't use aloe right now and I only use a little gel and then I scrunch with a tshirt after all my products are in and I know that takes some product out but I get great clumps and my hair isn't dry and crispy this way.

I can't get clipping to look natural for me either. The only time I get second day hair is if I use too much gel the day before and it's dry humidity wise and I don't toss and turn much. Which is not often lol
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair looks better already! It takes time to get comfortable with all of this. My hair really prefers the more natural products. I cowashed for six months and it was okay. Using the natural soap bars to cleanse really tightened my curl and added volume. If your hair is dry--add moisture. I had difficulty finding conditioner that was moisturizing enough last year. Aubrey Organics is great, but I can only use it twice a week. KBB hair milk works great. I usually rotate, but used it every day from mid August to January!

The best advice is to find someone with hair like yours and "stalk" them on the boards. Look at the products they are using (most of us have it in our signatures) and techniques.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kathymack wrote: »
    Your hair looks better already! It takes time to get comfortable with all of this. My hair really prefers the more natural products. I cowashed for six months and it was okay. Using the natural soap bars to cleanse really tightened my curl and added volume. If your hair is dry--add moisture. I had difficulty finding conditioner that was moisturizing enough last year. Aubrey Organics is great, but I can only use it twice a week. KBB hair milk works great. I usually rotate, but used it every day from mid August to January!

The best advice is to find someone with hair like yours and "stalk" them on the boards. Look at the products they are using (most of us have it in our signatures) and techniques.

Ok, so today, I did the brown sugar/conditioner scrub on my scalp. I then used Giovanni 50/50 conditioner and rinsed most of it out (but not all). I scrunched out the dripping water with a microfiber towel, then applied Giovanni gel, then plopped for 40 minutes with a t-shirt (I'm playing with the different times for plopping). I then just let it air dry, without the root clips. I didn't think the root clips were helping, but now I see that they did help! The top is really flat and the underneath part of my hair is much less curly...maybe from the weight of the top? I don't like the way my hair looks today (it's more healthy looking, but the curls are wacky and frizzy and all over the place). Maybe too much plopping? I'll just keep experimenting. Here are pics.

Day43-318.jpg

Day43-314.jpg

Day43-3110.jpg

Day43-3112.jpg

See what I mean about not much curl underneath?
    Day43-31.jpg
  • tarahhhhtarahhhh Posts: 125Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think that maybe the reason for such little curl underneath is the plopping. Your hair isn't that long and if you plop you might be stretching the curls underneath and not letting them curl naturally .. I know it took a lot of trial and error for me not to pull the curl out from the back of my head when plopping, and my hair is significantly longer than yours .. Just a thought! Best of luck!! Btw, your hair looks really nice, and shiny, not dry at all!
    Tarah - with an "H" :hello2:
    Always trying something new.

I'm a curly college student, and LOVING it.
    "They say when you die your life flashes before your eyes - Make it worth watching."
    tarahhhh wrote: »
    I think that maybe the reason for such little curl underneath is the plopping. Your hair isn't that long and if you plop you might be stretching the curls underneath and not letting them curl naturally .. I know it took a lot of trial and error for me not to pull the curl out from the back of my head when plopping, and my hair is significantly longer than yours .. Just a thought! Best of luck!! Btw, your hair looks really nice, and shiny, not dry at all!

Do you think I shouldn't plop? I feel like if I just let it hang to dry, it's going to be all flat against my head, lol!
    My hair is about your length in front. I don't plop. Put it up in a curlease towel for a few minutes while I do make up, but that's it. I scrunch with curl towels and diffuse upside down for about five minutes. Let it air dry, no clipping.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My hair is about your length in front. I don't plop. Put it up in a curlease towel for a few minutes while I do make up, but that's it. I scrunch with curl towels and diffuse upside down for about five minutes. Let it air dry, no clipping.

Ugh. I just bought a big microfiber towel hoping it would do the trick so I didn't have to buy a curl towel. Is a curlease towel the same as a curl towel to scrunch with? Do you diffuse the underneath part more or the top more? It seems like if I dry the top at all, it gets really frizzy. I don't want this complicated routine of clipping and all that...but, if I have to do it for my hair to look good, I will.

On another note, my hair looks like crap when I get up in the morning. How do I get it to look pretty? I can't do "pineapple" because my hair's so short. Any advice? The only product I use is gel...should I be using anything else? I am trying to stay as natural as possible.
    I just looked in the mirror and I think my hair looks better as it dries! I thought it was totally dry when I took the other pics, but I just looked at it and it looks much healthier and prettier. However, I hope my left side of my hair curls up more...my hair looks like the left side is much longer than the right. I have to tilt my head for it to look right! It doesn't look that way straight, so I'm hoping it'll curl up more and even out. I still really want it to curl up more and not be so frizzy feeling and not straighten out underneath. You may not be able to notice it, but I do, lol! Here it is just a minute ago:

Day43-31totallydry.jpg

Day43-31totallydryback.jpg
    Ugh. I just bought a big microfiber towel hoping it would do the trick so I didn't have to buy a curl towel. Is a curlease towel the same as a curl towel to scrunch with? Do you diffuse the underneath part more or the top more? It seems like if I dry the top at all, it gets really frizzy. I don't want this complicated routine of clipping and all that...but, if I have to do it for my hair to look good, I will.

On another note, my hair looks like crap when I get up in the morning. How do I get it to look pretty? I can't do "pineapple" because my hair's so short. Any advice? The only product I use is gel...should I be using anything else? I am trying to stay as natural as possible.

I quit using my microfiber towels, thought they contributed to frizz. If you want an inexpensive alternative, try a flour sack towel. I do my hair every day--too perfectionistic to settle. I like trying out different things and it doesn't take that long to style.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    Wow fully dry is fabulous! Look how bouncy and curly!
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!

I quit using my microfiber towels, thought they contributed to frizz. If you want an inexpensive alternative, try a flour sack towel. I do my hair every day--too perfectionistic to settle. I like trying out different things and it doesn't take that long to style.

Where can I get a flour sack towel?

Medusahair: Thank you!

Target.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlyjeancurlyjean Posts: 72Registered Users
    Purplecurls, I think your hair is adorable! It looks really bouncy and healthy. I think you are on the right track, it just takes LOTS of experimenting. Anyone on here can tell you the same. I really don't think any of us EVER stop trying new things. Btw, your eyes are really beautiful too. Good luck!
    3a/3b and fighting frizz!

Hair hates: Jessicurl RR and CC (FRIZZ!)

Hair loves: Anything Curl Junkie, KathyMack soap bars, KBB milk, nectar and hair mask, Giovanni Leave-In conditioner, CLU cloths, my heavenly silk pillowcase and my bone comb with wide and fine tooth ends.

Happiness comes and goes, but joy resides in the soul, always. It is the soul's natural state and our job, as human beings, is to reside there as well.
    curlyjean wrote: »
    Purplecurls, I think your hair is adorable! It looks really bouncy and healthy. I think you are on the right track, it just takes LOTS of experimenting. Anyone on here can tell you the same. I really don't think any of us EVER stop trying new things. Btw, your eyes are really beautiful too. Good luck!

That's so sweet of you to say! No one ever comments on my eyes...hazel eyes are boring, I guess! I always notice gorgeous blue eyes! I don't mind experimenting...at least I know I'm starting at the right point!! Thanks a bunch!

Target.

What section of the store? Would it be in the kitchen stuff or with the bath towels?

Target.

What section of the store? Would it be in the kitchen stuff or with the bath towels?

They are a type of kitchen towel.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Target.

They are a type of kitchen towel.

Thank you! I'm going to drive an hour and a half to Whole Foods on Monday, so I'll try to find a Target on the way (I live in the boonies). Thank you for all your help!!

Anyone have advice for second-day hair? I spritzed it with lavendar water and put a tiny bit of gel on the top to help with frizz. It looks ok, but not near as good as yesterday.
    Day 5 & it's getting even better! I pixiecurl diffused after doing the icequeen method in the shower. I plopped for 5 minutes, too. My hair is so stinkin' bouncy, soft, and shiny!!! My bangs curled up so much that I had to pin them back (they looked CRAZY). I can't wait until my hair grows about 2 or 3 more inches. I just wish my hair would look like this in the morning :) The left side (right when you're looking at me) looks better than the right. Excuse the lack of makeup...I'm about to go to bed!

Day54-19.jpg

Day54-113.jpg

Day54-18.jpg

Day54-123.jpg
    My hair looked awful this morning, so I got back in the shower. I did the icequeen method again & did everything just like I did last night. I think diffusing is causing it to 'bounce' too much! On the left side, it's ok. But, on the right, the curls don't start for like 2" from the top of my head! I'm thinking my cut is not curly friendly!! I can't wait for it to grow out some. So far, air drying is working the best. I just hate to wait 5-6 hours! There will be days that I want to go places in the morning and I don't want soaking wet hair! I just haven't figured out this whole diffusing thing yet.

After showering this morning, yuck:
    P4020392.jpg

The "bad" side
    Day64-2.jpg

Good side
    Day64-22.jpg
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    I think your hair looks great. The progession is looking wonderful. Its a trial and error. I'm still trying to vary my technique to find the best one.
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file