Getting braids and need some advice

mixedbabymixedbaby Registered Users Posts: 94
So I'm getting braids and I desperately need some advice seeing as I ve never had braids before. So I have some questions...
1. How do you wash braids and how often?
2. How long should they be left in?
3. Will the braids cause the relaxed hair to break off?
4. If i get braids once every 6 weeks for a year will that cause thinning and breakage at the temples?

Well thats all of the questins I have for now. I appreciate any answers or comments. Thanks Ladies!

Comments

• DivaGyrlDivaGyrl Registered Users Posts: 84
    1. What kind of braids are you getting? I think the type of braids you get depends on whether you can wash them. Usually if it is synthetic hair you are going to need to place some sort of netting cap on the top of your head in order to cleanse your scalp so you don't abraise the hair. I'm not too sure about human hair. I would suggest using ORS (Organic Root Stimulator) Anti-Itch Oil once a week to cleanse your scalp (apply with your fingers or a Q-Tip) and then following with ORS Shea Butter Lotion to keep your scalp moisturized. You can also use Sea Breeze to clean your scalp, just use a moisturizer after no matter what.

2. It depends on what type of braids you are getting. I wore interlocks (a.k.a. crochet braids) for two years and I usually got my hair redone every 6-8 weeks.

3. As long as you deep condition and moisturize your hair before getting your hair braided, you should be fine. I did not have any breakage during the two years I wore interlocks.

4. It really depends on how thin your hair is around the temples already. While I didn't have any breakage in the majority of my hair, I did have some pulling around my temples. But my hair has always been a little thin on the edges near my ear.

Hope this helps!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    There's a good website called www.growafrohairlong.com that has excellent information on transitioning with braids and I think they have a washing video.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • mixedbabymixedbaby Registered Users Posts: 94
    thank you guys for the advice. I am really nervous about getting braids because i dont want my hait to break especially at the temples where I've heard it will break. I will remeber to tell the stylist not to braid so tightly but does anyone know if the hair will gorw back if it has been pulled by the braids? thanks ladies and if their is anymore advice please share.
  • TotallyTwistedTotallyTwisted Registered Users Posts: 284
    SBB I just braid extensions for the first time and did a search that website is awesome!!! Thanks
    In the process of emptying my cabinets.

Conditioners that work FOUND
    Poo that works FOUND
    Currently trying to formulate the perfect styling pudding. Once that happens all other things left over will be thrown out, given away. From then on I'm only buying to RESTOCK. :happy2:
    Ultimate hair goal: soft, healthy APL unstretched
    "Don't remove the kinks from your hair, remove them from your brain." -Marcus Garvey

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file