Aubrey's B5 Gel vs Mandarin Jelly

EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
To those who have tried both Aubrey's Organics B5 Design Gel and Mandarin Magic Gingko Leaf & Ginseng Root Hair Moisturizing Jelly, though they're probably like comparing apples to oranges, which did you like better & why?

http://www.aubrey-organics.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=098

http://www.aubrey-organics.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=512

Comments

• jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Well, B5 gives you some hold, whereas MM really does not.

The MM is very unique and unlike any other product I can think of, except *maybe* [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]. It clumps my hair *very* nicely. The difference between it and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], though, is that it also gives me surprising volume. (I attribute that to the panthenol that's listed up high in the ingredients.) Kathymack recently suggested using MM as a means to distribute other products and I've been doing that a little this week. Not sure how I feel about it yet, though....

B5 is terrific and is my favorite gel to use alone. It has good hold (not great, but good). If dew points go above 55, though, I think I might combine it with some BRHG to get adequate hold.

So, yes, these products are different from one another. Don't expect any hold from MM and don't expect any clumping from B5. But you'll definitely get moisture from either.
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    AOMM is a jelly, AOB5 is a gel. A jelly is for moisture, a gel is for hold. I agree with jillipoo, the AOMM is unique. I use it several times a week.

I did almost the same routine today as yesterday. My hair was so good yesterday, that someone followed me in a store and stopped me to tell me how beautiful my curls are! ([buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Spiral-Spritz-p-915.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Kinky-Curly-Sprial-Spritz-Natural-Styling-Serum]KC Spiral Spritz[/buylink], CJ LI, AOMM, Curls Gel-les'c) Today, I swapped out the AOMM for the TheraNeem Leaf and Aloe Gel. My curl and volume were good, but my hair was dry and frizzy. I had to do it over, because I couldn't stand it like that all day.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So MM is comparable to CC, but with volume? :o

I sampled it some time back & really liked it, I remember that much, but don't remember specifics other than excellent shine.

And this was way before sampling CC, which I really liked & I just bought my first tub.

The MM is a heckuva lot cheaper so maybe I need to buy my first bottle of that.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    AOMM gave me hold and it's a soft natural gel; it was a mainstay for quite awhile. B5 just did not agree with my hair
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have used both but I like MM better but when 1st tried MM , I didn't like it. I discovered that I wasn't using enough MM and I can be very generous.....maybe I need to try B5 again and use more. I like the body and curl formation I get with MM and it mixes well with anything. Sounds like I may need to use both because I need more hold!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • madhuri_dixit_fanmadhuri_dixit_fan Posts: 310Registered Users
    MM good for moisture, hold is light with natural feel (as in not crunchy), which is what I prefer as heads in our home like volume and movement. We tolerate less hold because the curls are soft, defined, and the frizz not much but adds to thickness appearance and easy to address by smoothing with tiny bit more of the jelly. It also plays very well with whatever leave-in and oil I toss on our hair. Seems to do well in high dew points so far, and has a faint scent.

B5 good for hold, much less moisture giving so we never apply to dry hair, the curls come out well defined. There's an easier crunch factor, the smell is meh, and in certain weather too much is tiny bit drying. It also seems to build up unlike MM, and can be defiant at times with certain oils, meaning I have to work the product into the hair more = more manipulation. More a winter gel for us when I want to lock in moisture and hold those curls up against the chilling wind.

I like both gels. Have yet to try using both at once, but will have to give that a go on family picture day in May. kathymack describe major difference well: one's a jelly (moisture) and one's a gel (hold). Both define curls, so it's more of what you need in a jelly-gel type product.
    RIP Natasha Richardson

Holy Grails: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner, AVG, EVO Coconut Oil, Amla Oil, KC Spiral Spritz, Brahmi Oil, Tea Tree eo, Rosemary eo, Distilled H2O, Aloe Vera Juice, Neem Oil, ACV, Dr. Bonner's Skikakai Castile Soap, Avocado Oil

Sometimes: AOMM Jelly, KCNT, KCCC
  • breezybabybreezybaby Posts: 347Registered Users
    Does Whole Foods sell the AOMM? I have the B5 Gel now and I use it under my shea butter. I like it, but it isn't a necessity. I'm very interested in trying the Jelly
    3a/3b/3c hair all on one head :thumright:

public.fotki.com/breezybaby
    youtube.com/joyfulbree

Staples (used in many ways):
    Coconut milk
    Castor oil
    Coconut oil
    Honey
    Shea butter
  • madhuri_dixit_fanmadhuri_dixit_fan Posts: 310Registered Users
    breezybaby wrote: »
    Does Whole Foods sell the AOMM? I have the B5 Gel now and I use it under my shea butter. I like it, but it isn't a necessity. I'm very interested in trying the Jelly

My local WF doesn't carry AOMM but has AOB5. I had someone in the Body/Vitamin department special order it. No extra cost.
    RIP Natasha Richardson

Holy Grails: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner, AVG, EVO Coconut Oil, Amla Oil, KC Spiral Spritz, Brahmi Oil, Tea Tree eo, Rosemary eo, Distilled H2O, Aloe Vera Juice, Neem Oil, ACV, Dr. Bonner's Skikakai Castile Soap, Avocado Oil

Sometimes: AOMM Jelly, KCNT, KCCC

My WF doesn't carry it. I couldn't find it at Vitamin Shoppe, either. They all seem to have the B-5. Personally, I prefer the MM.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    My WF does carry the AOMM and the B5, both of which must be recent because I remember not finding either in the past. But they special order for free and call you when it's in.
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • melaniesusanmelaniesusan Posts: 948Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I got my sample of AOMM from kathymack (see her Fotki for ordering info).

If you prefer a full bottle, you can order it online at:

http://www.holisticbeauty.net/Aubrey_Organics.htm (they also sell MGA)

www.iherb.com (free shipping over $60)

hair type: 2B/3A
    low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
    condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab
    winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
    summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CIAB + Curl Queen
    http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
  • breezybabybreezybaby Posts: 347Registered Users
    Thanks ladies! I'll ask my local Whole Foods to special order it
    :)
    3a/3b/3c hair all on one head :thumright:

public.fotki.com/breezybaby
    youtube.com/joyfulbree

Staples (used in many ways):
    Coconut milk
    Castor oil
    Coconut oil
    Honey
    Shea butter
  • Katina128Katina128 Posts: 560Registered Users
    So, I got MM from you, right Kathy? If so, I love that stuff. It's definitely a keeper for me. My hair loves it!!
    Katina, 3a redhead with spirals/waves
    My Faves:
    CJ CCCC Lite, Mirracurls gel, Marie Dean Curly Styling Cream
    Katina128 wrote: »
    So, I got MM from you, right Kathy? If so, I love that stuff. It's definitely a keeper for me. My hair loves it!!

I "stock" it because it's hard to find on the ground--it's a real HG for me.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Katina128Katina128 Posts: 560Registered Users
    I think it will be for me as well. I paired it with Ouidad CC yesterday and got great volume as well as hold, and awesome curliness.
    Katina, 3a redhead with spirals/waves
    My Faves:
    CJ CCCC Lite, Mirracurls gel, Marie Dean Curly Styling Cream
  • dreamcurlsdreamcurls Posts: 104Registered Users
    So do you use mm like ck? Under a stronger hold gel? Do you scrunch it into dripping wet hair, or towel dried hair? Used it years ago and didn't like it, but I think I was trying to use it like a gel, instead of a moisture de-frizz pre-gel treatment. I guess it is really more like a leave in?
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users

I got my sample of AOMM from kathymack (see her Fotki for ordering info).

If you prefer a full bottle, you can order it online at:

http://www.holisticbeauty.net/Aubrey_Organics.htm (they also sell MGA)

www.iherb.com (free shipping over $60)

Yay, even though I haven't tried these (yet...always yet), I have something to add! Iherb does these referral coupon code things for customers to give new customers 5 dollars off their first purchase, here's mine: NAH804 - but don't blame me if your PJ explodes...I know mine is.:lol:
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Well, it seems like the largest local health food store (not WF) has greatly reduced what AO products are carried & they may get rid of them completely. I have to order in the MM & if I want to try either the HR or WC conditioners, I have to order those in too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file