Why are conditioners so moody?

onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
I cannot figure this out. I use a conditioner, it works once, and then it never moisturizes my hair again. I give up on it, and then one day I pull it out because nothing has been working anyway, and then it works! But when I try to use it a second time...nada.

I've tried AOHR, Biolage Conditioning Balm knock-off from Walmart, Lustrasilk OOC (the shea butter mango never worked in the first place), KBB milk/butter/nectar...what is going on? There isn't any pattern in what works when, and even rotation doesn't give me "first time" results in any consistent fashion.

And really moisturized hair for me is absolutely essential, otherwise, it's frizz and zero-clump city for me.

What to do? Open to techniques, other conditioners, anything!
3b/c, CG 9/18/08
Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That's why a lot of us rotate products. My hair has always satiated on shampoo/conditioners. I've had to switch them off my whole adult life. I did use KBB hair milk every day for four or so months. But I switched up everything else. I seldom use any product more then twice a week.

I've noticed it with a lot of products--it's first time fabulous and never again as good?

I did the "frizz" treatment that's on the 4a forum right now--Greek yogurt, Braggs Amino Acids and baking soda. Aside from smelling like teriyaki sauce and my hair being a little dry--I had the most incredible curls. I'd switch it up a little next time--less baking soda and maybe some oil. This stuff is better then Nexxus Emergencee! BTW, it tightened the curls, but the frizz level was the same, LOL!
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OTC my POOR SWEETIE!!!!!!! What are we going to do to get you moisturized??? I think you should head over the 4's forum and take a lot at some the recipes they use over there. Shea Butter is very moisturizing maybe you need to melt some and add it to your conditioners and DT's. Did you ever try adding olive oil or coconut milk to them?? What about oiling at night and washing in the A.M?

The EO condish. are very nice there are some threads around here about them. What about SHEA Moisture?? I saw some on the swaps. I'm wondering if you should be using some DT condish as your rinse outs? Like JCWDT or the CJ Rehab???
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I notice it even more with skin products! That's why I rotate everything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    But ladies, I DO rotate! That's the issue, I rotate and it doesn't help. For instance, I'll use the Hydrolage and it stops, switch to something else, that stops, come back to the Hydrolage...which still won't work. Only this pattern happens with about 4 conditioners at once. I go for days with crap hair (almost weeks) until some condish decides to be a man!

I see this might have been the wrong forum, but I did wonder if I even was using the right conditioners in the first place?
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • tendrillytendrilly Posts: 183Registered Users
    But ladies, I DO rotate! That's the issue, I rotate and it doesn't help. For instance, I'll use the Hydrolage and it stops, switch to something else, that stops, come back to the Hydrolage...which still won't work. Only this pattern happens with about 4 conditioners at once. I go for days with crap hair (almost weeks) until some condish decides to be a man!

I see this might have been the wrong forum, but I did wonder if I even was using the right conditioners in the first place?

Your post cracks me up! But I also relate. To address this, I'm trying to educate myself on what ingredients work for my hair, my climate (it's dry here -- so trying to avoid humectants right now), and doing experiments with only one variable when possible. I like Kathymack's suggestion of only using a product no more than twice a week, always switching it up from day to day. Then a surplus or deficiency in any given conditioner isn't going to be compounded by consecutive use. I'm also
    Dry climate
    2C/3A, fine texture, high porosity, medium-low density

For me, desert climate+porous hair+CG=inconsistent results! :-(
  • tendrillytendrilly Posts: 183Registered Users
    tendrilly wrote: »

Your post cracks me up! But I also relate. To address this, I'm trying to educate myself on what ingredients work for my hair, my climate (it's dry here -- so trying to avoid humectants right now), and doing experiments with only one variable when possible. I like Kathymack's suggestion of only using a product no more than twice a week, always switching it up from day to day. Then a surplus or deficiency in any given conditioner isn't going to be compounded by consecutive use. I'm also

I was called away so I'll finish this now. ...I'm also keeping a really geeky (yes, I admit it! :smile:) hair journal where I record the products I use, the results, the dew points, etc., every day. This helps me to watch for patterns as I try out different things. I have confidence that the scientific method and a lot of patience will eventually pay off, and I will find more products that give me consistently good results that I can rotate.

I feel the same way though -- this does seem more frustrating and complicated than it should be!:? Keep at it and good luck!
    Dry climate
    2C/3A, fine texture, high porosity, medium-low density

For me, desert climate+porous hair+CG=inconsistent results! :-(
  • hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well, what I discovered this week is I was overconditioning. For the past several weeks I haven't had any clumpage to speak of, zero volume and wimpy spirals. Products that worked great for me in January were giving me zero results over the past few weeks. Finally, after washing my hair with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Max-Green-Alchemy-Scalp-Rescue-Shampoo-p-965.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Max-Green-Alchemy-Scalp-Rescue-Shampoo]MGA Scalp Rescue Shampoo[/buylink] (which kind of feels harsh but isn't really) I switched to a much light conditioner ([buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Max-Green-Alchemy-Scalp-Rescue-Conditioner-p-966.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Max-Green-Alchemy-Scalp-Rescue-Conditioner]MGA Scalp Rescue conditioner[/buylink]), rinsed it out well and added no leave in, just my stylers, my volume and ringlets finally came back. I've been having pretty consistent results for the past four days. When I start losing volume and curls again, I'll shampoo again and start all over. When the whole routine stops working, it'll be back to the ol' drawing board again.
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    I find a DT does wonders to get my curls back in shape.
    2b/3a.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file