Need help with the Teri technique

tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
I'm trying to figure out what works best on my hair and decided to give Teri's method from tightlycurly a shot.

I think my hair is 3c but it could also be 3b or perhaps a mixture of the two. Right now it is a little above my shoulders dry and below my shoulders wet. Watching a lot of videos on youtube, other people who are trying this seem to have shorter hair. I think my hair is similar to this person on youtube.

So I did the whole soak my hair, put a crapload of conditioner in it and comb it out with the denman. But what I am unclear about is what do I do next? I've looked on her site and watched a bunch of youtube videos, but can't figure it out. She says don't do anything while your hair dries.

It can take many hours for my hair to dry and it holds on to water like nobody's business. I have my hair up with a clip right now. But what are my options? Should I plop it? Blot the excess water with a microfiber towel? If I do this at night and clip my hair up, I will still have wet hair when I wake up. I can't just have my hair dripping water all over the place until it finally dries. Or perhaps this just isn't the method for me.

Can anyone help me out here?
3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png

Comments

• multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Here is a link to a recent thread discussing Teri's method.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=70122

Here is the link to Teri's site with her routine for styling her hair from wet to dry.
    http://www.biracialhair.org/CurlyPrimer.aspx

I think you misunderstood her. Don't touch your hair after you detangled and smoothed it. If you mess with the hair too much, regardless of curl pattern, the hair will tend to frizz because you've disturbed the forming curl.

Also, I think your hair is in the 3b range with maybe a little bit of 3c. However, that isn't as important as hair texture. Teri's hair is really fine and prone to being dry. However, if the conditioner is too heavy and doesn't contain some protein, it probably won't work for her hair.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • hazelnuthazelnut Posts: 199Registered Users
    I would try emailing her. That's what I did and she gave me a more in-depth step-by-step guide for what she does to her hair. I'll try to copy and paste it on here for you.
    My hair is: 3b-4a, at my shoulders

My goal: To have my hair down to my waist or near my waist by 2012!

My favorite quote:
    Don't be afraid of death... but rather the unlived life. - Angus Tuck in the movie Tuck Everlasting
  • hazelnuthazelnut Posts: 199Registered Users
    Okay, so here it is:

This is an overview of how to care for your hair that has helped me grow my hair down to my hips (and until I did this, I spent about 29 years with hair that wouldn't grow past my shoulders):

For wearing your own lovely, natural curls (this won't work so well with relaxed hair)

It's best to follow this really closely. If you leave out a step, you could still end up with fuzzy puffy hair

*Wash your hair only about every four days to once a week. More often wears out our hair. When you wash, just concentrate on your scalp. Don't scrub your hair. It's our scalp that needs the shampoo. When you rinse, shampoo will flow down your wet hair, and this is plenty. The goal is to keep your curls calm. This is best done in the morning, to give your hair time to dry the rest of the day.

*Apply LOTS of one of the conditioners I recommend. I use two full handfuls of conditioner.

*It's also important to use the right conditioners. Some conditioners are waaayyyyy too light. It's almost like trying to use water--it just evaporates, leaving your hair defenseless. Believe me. If your hair is anything like mine, you need the real stuff to keep your curls calm (without being greasy, sticky or crunchy). The type of conditioner used is vital, but not in that it-has-to-cost-a-fortune way. Actually, the cheaper drugstore brands work best. Other brands are too light and just evaporate away, too greasy, or build up with film-formers and get sticky or crunchy. Any of Pantene's conditioners that are for dry/damaged hair work well. The Pantene Relaxed&Natural Intensive Moisturizing conditioner is my favorite (Brown bottle with a black top, available in most drugstores and Target). Herbal Essences that say they are moisturizing or for dry/damaged hair are good too (such as Breaks' Over, None of Your Frizziness, Hello Hydration). Also, Paula's Choice conditioner is great. It's a bit lighter than the others, but it makes combing a breeze, and it has no fragrance or colors, or advertising hype (this is the same Paula who wrote what I consider the hair-care bible Don't Go Shopping for Hair-Care Products Without Me. She actually reads all the scientific studies on ingredients, and "debunks" all the advertising hype around the ingredients in a product with what they really do). This has to be ordered online. You could also go for Shikai Everyday conditioner or Organix Coconut or Shea butter. They're available in health food stores, and sometimes in drugstores. You can also use Nexxus Hydra Sleek conditioner.

*Don't rinse out that conditioner. I know it sounds weird, but yes, I leave in the conditioner. It has lots of work to do in your hair, and it can only do its thing when you leave it in. It weighs down tight curls, keeps them well defined Conditioner also weather-proofs your hair and keeps it moisturized. This is the magic ingredient. Without the conditioner, and the right kind, your hair will continue to puff up. This keeps our curls defined without being crunchy or sticky or drying like gel can be. (For you, since you have oily hair, you might want to apply the conditioner a couple inches away from your scalp).

*Don't towel-dry your hair. You need it soaking wet.

*Comb your hair with all that conditioner in it , with a Denman (or a Denman-type brush). The Denman puts your curls together, a comb combs them apart. Denmans are usually available at Sally's stores, and other beauty supply stores. You can follow this link to order one if you want, and to see what they look like. There are cheaper versions in drugstores, but the cheap ones fall apart pretty quickly, but you should get a few good uses out of them first, so you can at least see the difference.Once the Relaxed&Natural(or Herbal Essence) conditioner is in your hair, comb it while wet. The conditioner makes it easier to comb. I use the Denman D4 brush.

Note: If you have used the right amount of conditioner, it will foam up. Not to worry. It dries and disappears. You need lots of it in your hair to do the job. If a spot got too much, just dab with a little water when it dries. No big thing.

*Once your hair is combed with conditioner, you need to release your curls. Otherwise they clump and get confused. Run your fingers through your hair a bunch of times to define your curls. You can also take each curl and twirl it around your fingers for lots of stunning little shirley temple curls.

*From this moment on, don't comb, brush, or finger comb your hair. If you finger comb your curls, they will frizz up. That's just what they do. Pulling apart our curls makes it frizz. There is no way around this one. I think this is one of your biggest fuzz-causers. Do not brush, comb or finger comb your hair again until you wash it, and have it soaking wet with conditioner again.

*At night, after your hair dries, maybe put it in a braid or two to keep it smooth while you sleep, if it's long enough. This also works in a big way to "relax" our curls. This will be a big step (along with leaving in the right conditioner) that will keep your curls from "drawing up" anymore. They will always draw up a bit because they are curls, but this helps them hang more loosely.

*In the morning, just smooth a little water and a little more of the recommended conditioners over your hair to smooth any frizzies. This will also refresh your curls. No finger combing, though. Combing=frizz. In the morning it might look like all your curls are gone. It isn't true. After you smooth them with water and conditioner (so they are just damp only), by the time they dry, your curls will be back and refreshed. You can also go over any of your little shirley temple twists that got fuzzy, smashed or untwisted while you slept, and retwist them with water and conditoner.

It takes me about 2 hours to do this process, once a week (or one hour if I do it twice a week), but that's all I have to do with my hair all week. I let my hair dry the rest of the day after that. Then I braid it at night to keep the curls smooth. The braid also helps stretch out my curls. This technique keeps my curls nice and clumped together, and I can even get rained on and my hair doesn't puff. All I do after that is smooth my fuzzies every morning with a little water and the same conditioner. The only product I leave in my hair is the conditioner. I don't use gels, styling lotions or deep conditioners. This will simplify your life.
    My hair is: 3b-4a, at my shoulders

My goal: To have my hair down to my waist or near my waist by 2012!

My favorite quote:
    Don't be afraid of death... but rather the unlived life. - Angus Tuck in the movie Tuck Everlasting
  • holly8holly8 Posts: 632Registered Users
    hazelnut-Oh light conditioners don't work.I used so much of the garnier fructis cond so I squeeze some of it out.My hair would still be frizzy if I haven't squeeze it out.I should try my natures gate jojoba cond next time.
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Hair type:3C\3B
    Multi-racial hair
    Hair length:Started at neck and ears(in its curly state).In Dec 08 (2 years natural) My hair was somewhere near armpit length with bentonite clay in my hair.

Mission: to obtain healthy hair every day!!

Hair products:homemade products.....

:angel1::love5:
  • april-epiphanyapril-epiphany Posts: 345Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i tried Teri's technique again (after receiving a very incouraging email from her) and it actually worked! to some of you curlies this might sound a bit complicated so bear with me please. first i cowashed with gvp paul mitchell special tee tree conditioner then i applied sheamoisture shea butter leave in, (cause i really just love it :hello2:) then i applied my semi-homemade conditioner which is a combo of gvp paul mitchell the detangler, herbal ess. non of your frizziness, and a little bit of wonder 8 oil. for the first time since getting my deva cut i acheived second day hair. i had a ton of shrinkage but very little frizz. i can't say if i will go conditioner only 4-ever (cause i still have products that i love like afroveda and donna marie) but i am happy that i know i can maintain my natural hair without shopping online or using gels.(sorry my pics are horrible camera phone)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hope the exit is joyful and I hope never to return-Frida Kahlo
  • holly8holly8 Posts: 632Registered Users
    i tried Teri's technique again (after receiving a very incouraging email from her) and it actually worked! to some of you curlies this might sound a bit complicated so bear with me please. first i cowashed with gvp paul mitchell special tee tree conditioner then i applied sheamoisture shea butter leave in, (cause i really just love it :hello2:) then i applied my semi-homemade conditioner which is a combo of gvp paul mitchell the detangler, herbal ess. non of your frizziness, and a little bit of wonder 8 oil. for the first time since getting my deva cut i acheived second day hair. i had a ton of shrinkage but very little frizz. i can't say if i will go conditioner only 4-ever (cause i still have products that i love like afroveda and donna marie) but i am happy that i know i can maintain my natural hair without shopping online or using gels.(sorry my pics are horrible camera phone)

looks great! I can see clearly when I click on the photo.
    Natural since Jan 2,07
    I did a BC
    Hair type:3C\3B
    Multi-racial hair
    Hair length:Started at neck and ears(in its curly state).In Dec 08 (2 years natural) My hair was somewhere near armpit length with bentonite clay in my hair.

Mission: to obtain healthy hair every day!!

Hair products:homemade products.....

:angel1::love5:
  • ~Curly~~Curly~ Banned Posts: 772Banned Users
    Does anyone know about how long it should take to see results...

I have been doing this method or a variation of it for a few weeks.. I find that it looks best after it has been freshly washed and there is no 2nd day hair, i have to re-wet and apply conditioner daily and after a couple of days the condition stops working or looks dull so you have to wash it and start over... im still in the beginning stages and have only tried the conditioners i have on hand.. so far so good though.. I really like the way my hair looks...
    "Relaxer free Since 2003"
    3C in constant search for something that works!

3C/4B(hairs that act 4b even if they technically aren't) no clue what i'm doing..:geek::hello2::afro:
    I will respond as I see fit. It should be about freedom to express our opinions, You're free to say what you like as should others. Get a Thicker Skin if no one can disagree with you without you feeling bullied and running to Admin Hellllllpppppp Meeee Adminnnnn Pleaseeee!!!! Smh
  • KinkyKeeperKinkyKeeper Posts: 963Registered Users
    1. Well you could always sit under a portable hood dryer or blow dry and this could actually help stretch the curls and lessen shrinkage if you stretch them out while blow drying. Like in this video at the very end:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmFyhnPBeP4
    Too much heat can be damaging so you probably wouldn't want to do this every week.

2. Also try waiting to put in the conditioner when hair is only damp and not soaking wet. Of course this means your curl pattern won't be at it's most defined but that's a risk you may have to take.

3. I'm pretty sure it possible to sop up most of the moisture out of your hair with a towel as long as you are careful not to disturb your curl pattern, very gently pat dry.

4. Also in the above video she squeezes the excess water out of her hair before applying conditioner and if you are careful your hair won't frizz up.

Good luck.
  • ~Curly~~Curly~ Banned Posts: 772Banned Users
    Pantene Relaxed and Natural Review:

I tend to like to waste money lol.. most of the conditioners on her site i have used at one time or another and they did not work on my hair... Anyways So like an idiot i bought the relaxed and natural and it sucked... i used the leave in when it first came out years ago and my hair was a hot greasy mess... the conditioner although not as greasy as the leave in, still greasy too greasy for me and it made my hair shirnk... the denman sucks too.. i'll stick with the comb my hair is thin, short and although shiny very greasy to the touch lol
    "Relaxer free Since 2003"
    3C in constant search for something that works!

3C/4B(hairs that act 4b even if they technically aren't) no clue what i'm doing..:geek::hello2::afro:
    I will respond as I see fit. It should be about freedom to express our opinions, You're free to say what you like as should others. Get a Thicker Skin if no one can disagree with you without you feeling bullied and running to Admin Hellllllpppppp Meeee Adminnnnn Pleaseeee!!!! Smh
  • LeeMayhemLeeMayhem Posts: 98Registered Users
    i have type 3c hair, i use to use a detangling comb but i just started finger combing my hair.Today i applied conditioner to my hair and decided to finally try the denman brush everyones been raving about,lol. It sure defines my curls, but gave me MAJOR shrinkage, my curls seriously shrunk way more than usual. Has anyone else experienced this?I think im going back to using my goody ouchless detangling comb.
    3c Hair
    Wash:Hairveda Amala Cream Rinse
    Condition/Leave In:Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Styler:Kinky Curly Custard
    Moisture/Shine:Kinky Curly Gloss Pomade
    Deep Treatment:Kinky Curly Midnight Miracle
  • calicurly4lifecalicurly4life Posts: 43Registered Users
    I love terri's method. So far my fave leave in condish is organix coconut condish. It clumps my hair really well. It takes forever to dry tho, so I just wear my hair in a protective style the first two days. and I always put it in a french braid at nite, I think this really helps keep the curls calm. I only use a tiny bit of gel for the baby hairs around the front.Also I use the organix coconut oil serum to touch up any little dry spots on day 3 or 4
  • curlycaramelocurlycaramelo Posts: 4Registered Users
    I recently started doing Terri's method. I really like detangling my hair with the denman brush. I was a afraid of purchasing this brush because I've seen videos and read other forums where other natural women didn't like it. But I decided to give it a try and i love it. I do make sure to be super gentle and detangle in small sections. I don't use any of the shampoos she recommends. I'm still experimenting with shampoos, but I do use the conditioners. I must say that on the first day I don't like the way my hair looks. I don't know if I'm applying too much conditioner but it looks like I have a hair full of hair spray lol. Now the second and third day I can't get enough of my curls. The curls look amazing and for the first time the back of my head actually curs. Before it would just frizz up but now i love it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file