Your Weekly PJ buys!

Comments

• Curlista93Curlista93 Posts: 398Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    adthomas wrote: »
    For April I'm doing a no gel challenge. Since I used the last of my Roots of Nature Coil Cream I've been wondering what I will use since I have to order it. Went in Ulta tonight and noticed no Jane Carter on the shelf. Probably because Target and Sally's carry it and right close. Anyhow I want to see if any one clearance. Got the curl cream for $4.99 that is regularly $17.99

Happy dance.
    I'm doing a no gel ever again challenge lol.
    4a/3c, Low Porosity, Fine Texture
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Curlista93 wrote: »
    For April I'm doing a no gel challenge. Since I used the last of my Roots of Nature Coil Cream I've been wondering what I will use since I have to order it. Went in Ulta tonight and noticed no Jane Carter on the shelf. Probably because Target and Sally's carry it and right close. Anyhow I want to see if any one clearance. Got the curl cream for $4.99 that is regularly $17.99

Happy dance.
    I'm doing a no gel ever again challenge lol.

I know I'll go back and forth with gel. If not soon then in the summer. I prefer how my hair looks without gel because it's bigger and fluffier but gel allows me to use a dryer to speed up the drying process without sucking all the moisture from my hair. I don't use gel, I can only air dry which takes an entire day.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
    I have so much trouble finding gels that work me. The best is FSG but I don't always want to make it because it's a little at a time and doesn't travel well. However, I do think my hair feels healthier when I use FSG than other gels. So I started buying Aunt Jackie's FSG but have been ordering it because couldn't find it anywhere on the ground. Ok so took a road trip to visit family and found a bss with the whole flaxseed collection.

I got two containers of the gel I've been using for a much cheaper price..
    Aunt Jackie's Flaxseed Moisturizing Cowash Cleanser
    Aunt Jackie's Flaxseed smoothing gel.
  • AfromuffinAfromuffin Posts: 158Registered Users
    Just bought 22nd century natural woman's mild deep conditioner.
    Her other conditoner left a really greasy sticky feel on my hair, hopefully this one isn't like that and can help me to detangle.
    How was it???

I didn't like it. it made my hair feel like straw. I don't remember the ingredients but I'm sure the problem was some kind of protein and I'm sensitive. I was able to use it up by mixing small amounts in my DIY DC. It worked well that way but a lot alone no. That's the same thing I had to do with Oyin Honey Hemp. Otherwise it made my hair dry and brittle.
    Yeah, sometimes you need more moisture to balance out the protein. The oyin has protein too?

Yes hydrolized silk protein and I think on top of the other ingredients like aloe Vera which I can only use in moderation It was too much. Brittle hair
    Shea Moisture Sacha Inchi Oil Omega 3,6,9 Twist and lock gel with quinoa and rose of Jericho extracts.
    oops. wrong thread.
  • Curlista93Curlista93 Posts: 398Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I didn't see what they said.

Sent from my SM-G920P using CurlTalk App
    4a/3c, Low Porosity, Fine Texture
    I didn't see what they said.

Sent from my SM-G920P using CurlTalk App

LOL. I accidently posted here instead of the hits and misses thread. I reported the 'person" and it was taken down. It was someone who was going through the site repeatedly posting and pretending to be a naturalista so to direct people to a link. I don't know what the link led to and I didn't want anyone to click on it. Funny things is the troll kept showing pictures of an alleged boyfriend and the pictures were of different men.
    I picked up a deep conditioner today by Maui Moisture. My hair has been shedding more than usual. Has anyone tried it? The ingredients look good and the price is reasonable. It was at Ulta.

http://mauimoisture.com/
  • curlisue1curlisue1 Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Novice
    I just bought matrix biolage curl cleansing conditioner, defining gel cream and curl elixir. First time using them today and I am surprised. The hold is good without being too hard or too soft. The cleansing conditioner did not have a lot of slip for me but it did seem to add some moisture to my hair. I didn't use a leave in conditioner and put in the defining cream gel. This really seemed to melt into my hair and felt soft and silky. I put some of the elixir on my ends. My hair dried a little faster with this combination and so far it's soft. I will have to see how it stands up to the humidity today. My curls are looking nice. I'm going to have to experiment as I may not need the elixir. I also did not have to use a lot of product which is good because matrix is expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • AddeeAddee Posts: 403Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Kera Care Twisting Cream with amla and shikaikai

I bought this at the suggestion of a staff member at Ulta. I decided to travel to an Ulta that is farther away because I heard they had Shea Moisture makeup. I have never really considered getting my hair done at Ulta because seems like all their ads are for blowouts. But the clerk who saw me browsing asked me if I was natural. I said yes. She asked if I mostly wear twists. I said yes. She said she uses this product to twists her clients hair. I said I have issues with buildup and she says so do a lot of her clients and this product hasn't caused any issues for them. I'm going to try it before the return date expires but if it works it could be my go to in the winter when gel doesn't work as well for me.
    Forget what hurt you, but never forget what it taught you.
    Addee wrote: »
    Kera Care Twisting Cream with amla and shikaikai

I bought this at the suggestion of a staff member at Ulta. I decided to travel to an Ulta that is farther away because I heard they had Shea Moisture makeup. I have never really considered getting my hair done at Ulta because seems like all their ads are for blowouts. But the clerk who saw me browsing asked me if I was natural. I said yes. She asked if I mostly wear twists. I said yes. She said she uses this product to twists her clients hair. I said I have issues with buildup and she says so do a lot of her clients and this product hasn't caused any issues for them. I'm going to try it before the return date expires but if it works it could be my go to in the winter when gel doesn't work as well for me.

I was looking at old reviews and realized I tried this product four years ago and hated it. It was too heavy. I have issues with most creams. I'm debating if I will give it another go or just take it back.
    I decided to return the KeraCare Curl cream because it didn't work on my hair before. I had peeled back the seal though so I exchanged it for the Keracare cowash. I will give a review in another section after I've used it twice but the first wash was a good one.
    Proclaim Jamaican Black Castor Oil Curl Refresher Spray

The Mane Choice Biotin INfused Styling Gel

Camille Rose Sweet Ginger Cleansing Risnse

The last two I bought for $6 each at one of those discount stores. They usually have more expensive products like Mixed Chicks, Miss Jessie's at these stores. Some brands like MC and MJ I wouldn't put in my hair but I buy as stocking suffers, last minute bday gifts.
  • SweetRellieSweetRellie Posts: 468Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have high porosity hair and everyone swears that color-damaged hair needs a ton of protein. Boy were they wrong! I'm now suffering from protein overload and have resorted back to being an EPIC Product Junkie to find new products all over again. Here's what I've bought in the past month so far:

• Shea Moisture's Sacha Inchi Curl Defining Smoothie- more like a leave-in; trying to use up but unsure if I'll repurchase
    • SM's Low Porosity Leave-In Detangler- gave it away; hated scent
    • SM's Peace Rose Oil Complex Gel-Cream- hated scent; immediately returned back to Target
    • SM's Superfruit Gel-Cream- immediately returned back to Ulta
    • SM's Raw Shea & Cupuacu Conditioner & Masque- new faves!
    • ORS Strand Strengthening Gelee- defines nicely but not my fave; may or may not repurchase
    • Luster's Pink Silicone-Free Glosser- did nothing for me; probably works better on straight hair; won't repurchase
    • Carol's Daughter Original Hair Milk Moisturizer & Hair Pudding- define hair nicely; may repurchase
    • Alikay Naturals Creme Brulee Delight- new HG; defined, elongated, and moisturized my curls; bought 4 jars for $4 each at Sally's
    • Curls Goddess Curls Botanical Gelle- works great with creme brulee and CD hair pudding; possible new HG
    Thick, highly porous but protein sensitive 4a hair
    Modified Curly Girl Method

Current Staples
    Cowash/Rinse-Out: Not Your Mother’s Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower & Mango Butter Conditioner
    Shampoo: NYM Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower Shampoo
    DC: Shea Moisture’s Raw Shea & Cupuacu, Fruit Fusion, Superfruit Complex or Manuka Honey lines
    Leave-In: Maui Moisture's Curl Milk or Shea Butter Hair Mask
    Stylers/Creams: Maui Moisture's Curl Smoothie or Camille Rose Naturals’ Sweet Buttercream (kids line)
    Sealants: Maui Moisture's Coconut Milk Weightless Oil Mist
    Scalp Treatment: Alikay Naturals Hair & Scalp Balm; Essential 17 Growth Oil
    Jane Carter had a 75 percent off sale.

Cleansing Conditioner
    Growth foam
    Couldn't find Undone so decided to try to new conditioners.

Garnier Fruties Triple Nutrition Curl Nourish

OGX Shea and soft smooth conditioner. (silicone free for thick coarse hair.)
    I'm loving the Alikay Naturals Curling Creme Brûlée Delight that I bought from Sally's but I know that I'm eventually going to run out and I don't want to pay the regular $15-17 for it. I found a cheaper alternative for when the time comes:
    -Alikay Naturals Aloe Berry Styling Gel: definite winner!

Current Staples
    Cowash/Rinse-Out: Not Your Mother’s Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower & Mango Butter Conditioner
    DC: Shea Moisture’s Raw Shea & Cupuacu, Fruit Fusion, Superfruit Complex or Manuka Honey lines
    Stylers/Creams: Maui Moisture's Curl Smoothie or Camille Rose Naturals’ Sweet Buttercream (kids line)
    I'm loving the Alikay Naturals Curling Creme Brûlée Delight that I bought from Sally's but I know that I'm eventually going to run out and I don't want to pay the regular $15-17 for it. I found a cheaper alternative for when the time comes:
    -Alikay Naturals Aloe Berry Styling Gel: definite winner!

Current Staples
    Said I would not purchase any more products until I used my current stash up. Couldn't resist so I gave what I didn't love away so that I could buy new things. I've found some staples to alternate and some Holy Grails that I will always use. Unless something drastic happens to my hair or ingredients change, I WILL NOT purchase anything else accept to replenish my stash.

From Sally's:
    Jane Carter Solutions' Healthy Hair Cleansing & Conditioning Cowash: the slip is amazing. New staple!
    Beautique 9 Row Silicone Brush: imitation Denman but clumped my coils nicely.

Marshall's:
    *Bonus Size* bottle of Shea Moisture's Restorative Conditioner (yellow label): ingredients didn't match Shea Moisture or Naturally Curly's websites (listed as protein-free) so I returned it without using; no love lost

Walgreens:
    Tresemme's Flawless Curls Conditioner: something about this has changed yet Idk what; usually moisturizes my hair but this time, I lost a lot during my cowash/shower routine which led to the following purchases...

CVS:
    2 bottles of Maui Moisture's Curl Quench + Coconut Oil Curl Milk: Never had a hair milk this creamy, moisturizing, and curl-defining. New HG!
    Maui Moisture's Curl Quench + Coconut Oil Curl Smoothie: The moisture this gives is unbelievable. Pretty good definition too. New staple!
    Maui Moisture's Nourish & Moisture + Coconut Milk Weightless Oil Mist: a little goes a LONG way. Great for blow-outs and adding shine to dull curls. New staple!

HEB (grocery store in Texas)
    Maui Moisture's Heal & Hydrate + Shea Butter Hair Mask: love the consistency and worked even better as a leave-in curl definer when combined with the Curl Smoothie. New HG!

Current Staples
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I was trying to kill the stash not increase it. Anyway let me just confess these last few weeks. Most are reups. A few are new to me.

Bounce Light Curl Cream
    CJ Daily Fix
    Biolage Cleansing conditioner
    Biolage Aqua Gel conditioner
    Power Surge shampoo x 2
    Bekura Y.A.M. Mask
    My Honey Child Honey Nut conditioner
    Nairobi Soft Finish leave in
    Nexxus Humectress
    Biolage Keratin-dose shampoo and conditioner
    Suave sunshine conditioner
    Oils - flax, rosehip, rice bran, jojoba, avocado, palm, camellia
    Aloe Vera juice

ETA - Henna from Lush
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    From the past few weeks:

Garnier Zero conditioner- good stuff
    Camille Rose Moraccan Pear conditioning Custard - Excellent!!!
    Bounce Creme Gel - No. Can't recommend
    Ouidad Tress FX gel - blast from the past. Not as good as I remember.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • WavycatWavycat Posts: 324Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Great! Because of Afrosheenqueen I got the twerking Garnier Zero conditioner and because it was there I got the spray too. Grrrrrrr. why did I look at this thread?
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter

I bought Ecostyler Gold. Found it at a bss while out of town visiting family

Also Hawaiian Silky activator gel.

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,563Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Addee said:

I bought Ecostyler Gold. Found it at a bss while out of town visiting family

Also Hawaiian Silky activator gel.

Let us know how they work for you!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    I didn't like the curl activator but I will give it one more shot before I give up on it. I also bought the foam from Texture ID but I found it to be somewhat drying. My hair never seems to like mousse or foam products. It's like they such the moisture out of my hair.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,563Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Addee said:
    I didn't like the curl activator but I will give it one more shot before I give up on it. I also bought the foam from Texture ID but I found it to be somewhat drying. My hair never seems to like mousse or foam products. It's like they such the moisture out of my hair.
    They don't offer enough hold for me. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Smooth and Shine Curl Defining Gel.

I liked the way my hair looked because it gave me more volume than Ecostyler but this gel made my hair tangle badly.

Update. I no longer like the Eco Gold. It only works well for me on freshly shampooed hair. My hair is super building prone and I clarify weekly. So after my midweek cowash this gel is a no.

I'm back to alternating between Eco Argon which is getting harder to find and my FSG.

I picked up the new JBCO Flaxseed cream gel from proclaim. It's so hot here that my DIY FSG isn't holding up so well. I can use Argon Ecostyler but I like the fluffier look that FSG gives me. Hopefully this will be a happy medium.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file