Henna on transitioning hair

desert flowerdesert flower Registered Users Posts: 188
I have had the itch to do henna lately...I am curious to see if it will give me that super conditioning that others rave about...my husband thinks it's because it's been a few months and I haven't had anything "done" to my hair! :toothy7:

For those of you who did henna while transitioning, what are the different effects it has on the new growth vs. the damaged (or not so damaged) relaxed ends?

I know that some people say it relaxes their curl after a few times but I can't find much about what it does to the already relaxed hair...

Comments

• Black Hoya ChickBlack Hoya Chick Registered Users Posts: 185
    it straightens ALL of the hair..the newgrowth and the relaxed hair. so personally, it makes it easier for me to manage the two textures. also, it did relax my curl. so this made dealing with the two textures not as dramatic either and made my braidouts/twistouts blend better.

my relaxed hair is now no longer afraid of the newgrowth (LOL) and is holdind its own, which helps prolong my transition. i am 12 months in and plan on chopping in August for my birthday
    Kinky Curly Knot Today = :love5:
    Philippians 1:3

Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/Nigerian-Princess/about/

Current: Natural 3C/4A BSL; Long Term Goal: WL
    34pluo8.jpg
  • desert flowerdesert flower Registered Users Posts: 188
    it straightens ALL of the hair..the newgrowth and the relaxed hair. so personally, it makes it easier for me to manage the two textures. also, it did relax my curl. so this made dealing with the two textures not as dramatic either and made my braidouts/twistouts blend better.

my relaxed hair is now no longer afraid of the newgrowth (LOL) and is holdind its own, which helps prolong my transition. i am 12 months in and plan on chopping in August for my birthday

This is all great information! I can't wait to do it!

I saw your henna pictures and your hair is sooooo shiny!! I thought is was hysterical that you said, "my relaxed hair is no longer afraid of the new growth." That's exactly how I feel - like there is a rebellion on my head!
  • Black Hoya ChickBlack Hoya Chick Registered Users Posts: 185
    ^^^thanks! that shine is for real. and i don't even do full hennas..they are more like henna glosses (henna mixed with my deep conditioner). but yeah. the relaxed hair really holds its own now. at first i didnt think i was gonna make it to august. now i am confident i could make it longer if i wanted to
    Kinky Curly Knot Today = :love5:
    Philippians 1:3

Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/Nigerian-Princess/about/

Current: Natural 3C/4A BSL; Long Term Goal: WL
    34pluo8.jpg
  • Karua12Karua12 Registered Users Posts: 155
    I bought enough Jamila (2008 ) henna to do 2 applications and I mixed it up with a slight modification to CurlyNikki's method. I did my first henna about 3 weeks ago and the second one about a week later. I'm 1 year post relaxer and I have about about 5 1/2 inches of growth and about 4 inches of relaxer. (I cut recently though so it's more like 2-3 inches now)

My relaxed hair was brown so the red showed up *alot* more obviously than my black new growth. The first henna left it very dry after I rinsed it out but once I deep conditioned it was very soft and that week I noticed that it held twists/twistouts much better and I lost a lot less hair detangling. It was also much shinier and remained moisturized a lot longer.

The 2nd henna though was amazing! The effects were more pronounced and my hair wasn't even all that dry once I rinsed. I've cut off a bit of the relaxed hair near my nape and I know for certain that some of my curls have loosened a bit in the nape and the front but the top/crown is pretty much unchanged as far as I can tell. I love my texture though so if my hair loosens more in the next application, I'm going to add amla to it so it doesn't happen.

I was hesitant to try henna before I BCed but I'm glad I did just because it's made my hair alot stronger and prettier and so more manageable and less prone to breakage. :toothy8:
    Hey everyone!~ I've BCed! Yay! (13 month transition)
    Last Perm: March 23, 2008
    BC: April 24, 2009

Goals: To learn how to style my hair and continue to grow it healthy and happy!
    Hair type: :o 4b near the temples, 3c in the back/nape and 4a everywhere! Mostly coily-curly with medium-fine strands and medium thickness.

event.png

• Karua12Karua12 Registered Users Posts: 155
    Double post, sorry
    Hey everyone!~ I've BCed! Yay! (13 month transition)
    Last Perm: March 23, 2008
    BC: April 24, 2009

Goals: To learn how to style my hair and continue to grow it healthy and happy!
    Hair type: :o 4b near the temples, 3c in the back/nape and 4a everywhere! Mostly coily-curly with medium-fine strands and medium thickness.

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file