Love KCCC but can't use it - Help me

talltwinmomtalltwinmom Posts: 95Registered Users
So I FINALLY find something that makes my hair look "almost" as good as some of the beautiful hair on this board. [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] are awesome, and I thought I was on my way to nirvana. Then, around day 3, the old familiar rash breaks out on my neck and ears. I think one or both of the products has that ingredient that I'm apparently allergic to (starts with a Beh or something like that). I'm so freaking mad, upset and generally pissed at my body. I have this huge container staring at me with it's slimy goodness inside, but I can't use it. My girls are the beneficiaries though, and it makes their hair awesome.

So, I'm looking again for something else. I'm not good at reading labels, but am wondering if the DM Coco Butter would be safe based on what it's made of. The new conditioner looks good too, but again, I'm so leary to buy anything. So, any help anyone can give would make this itchy neck/ear curly extremely happy. Thanks.
3a/3b thin, just to the shoulders Modified CG 3/06; still working on a routine de jour

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you used the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] without the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink]? It's the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] that has the:

Behentrimonium Methosulfate (BTMS)

Also known as "emulsifying conditioner", this gentle ingredient is the key to exceptional hair conditioners. It is derived from natural Colza oil and provides many functions. It is an exceptionally mild conditioning agent, detangler, and hair thickener. It also functions as the primary emulsifier in lotions and conditioners.

It's in a lot of conditioners. I think you just have to read the ingredient lists to see what does and what doesn't.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • talltwinmomtalltwinmom Posts: 95Registered Users
    Thanks. I have been using the last of my KT thinking it was ok. I'll stop that and see if I get back to normal. After reading your Komaza review, I was going to try that, but then noticed the dreaded BTMS, so thanks for helping me save my money. BTMS doesn't go by any other name does it? I was looking at KBB and didn't see it in there. I am just sick of itching!
    3a/3b thin, just to the shoulders Modified CG 3/06; still working on a routine de jour
    I had thought of KBB, but got tired of looking up the ingredients--figured it was your job, LOL! Having been allergic to any number of products, I feel your pain--literally. I think some of the Donna Marie products didn't have it. By chance, I have the AfroDetangler ingredients beside me--it doesn't have it. I use it as a leave in and curl creme. Love it.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kathymack wrote: »
    I had thought of KBB, but got tired of looking up the ingredients--figured it was your job, LOL! Having been allergic to any number of products, I feel your pain--literally. I think some of the Donna Marie products didn't have it. By chance, I have the AfroDetangler ingredients beside me--it doesn't have it. I use it as a leave in and curl creme. Love it.

Yes, it is my job to do the research! I'm just particularly incompetent sometimes in reading what is what LOL. Where do you get the AfroDetangler? Thanks Kathymack.

Yes, it is my job to do the research! I'm just particularly incompetent sometimes in reading what is what LOL. Where do you get the AfroDetangler? Thanks Kathymack.

http://www.growafrohairlong.com/afrodetanglerhalfgallon.html

I also checked the IQCC, couldn't help myself. That may be a good one for you.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • melaniesusanmelaniesusan Posts: 948Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've never tried [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink], but I've had great hair days using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] over either GDLI, KBB milk, KBB nectar, or DM detangler:

The respective ingredients are:

Giovanni Direct Leave-In:
    Aqua (Purified Water), Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Oil, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Oil, Thyme (Thymus Vulgaris) Oil, Birch Leaf (Butela Alba) Oil, Chamomile (Anthemis Nobilis Flower) Oil, Clary (Salvia Sclarea), Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia), Coltsfoot Leaf (Tussilago Fargara), Yarrow (Achillea Millefolium) Oil, Mallow (Malya Sylvestris), Horsetail (Equisetum Arvense) Oil, Soybean Protein (Glycine Soja), Cetyl Alcohol (Plant Derived), Tocopherol (*Vitamin E), Trace Minerals, Citric Acid (Corn), Sodium Hydroxymethlyglycinate, Grapefruit Seed (Citrus Derived)

KBB milk:
    Purified Water, Jojoba and Avocado Oils, Vegetable Wax, Vitamin E, Panthenol, Arnica and Calendula Flowers, Echinacea, Nettle and Horsetail Extracts, Vegetable Glycerin, Wheat Germ Oil, Fragrance Oil and Natural Enzymes

KBB nectar (less oil, more glycerin):
    Purified Water, Grapeseed Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Vegetable Wax, Panthenol, Yucca Extract, Horsetail Extract, Nettle Extract, Melissa Extract, Essential and/or Fragrance Oil, Vitamin E and Natural Enzymes.

DM detangler:
    Ingredients: Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Helianthus communis (Sunflower) oil, Linum Usitatissimum (Flaxseed) extract), Cocos Nucifera (coconut) Milk, d-Calcium Pantothenate (Panthenol Vitamin B5), citric acid, silver citrate, potassium sorbate and 100% natural fragrance.
    hair type: 2B/3A
    low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
    condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab
    winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
    summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CIAB + Curl Queen
    http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
    I, too, have used those three leave ins under [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]. They are too light for me during the winter, but I alternated KBB nectar with GDLI all last summer. I have the DM Leave In and will use it when I get into "summer" regime.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    That's why I love this board - everyone is so helpful! I'm been wanting to try to KBB , and I think I have a sample of the DM, so I'll try that to see how it works. You guys are the best!
  • JusduitJusduit Posts: 578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've never tried [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink], but I've had great hair days using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] over either GDLI, KBB milk, KBB nectar, or DM detangler:

Aqua (Purified Water), Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Oil, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Oil, Thyme (Thymus Vulgaris) Oil, Birch Leaf (Butela Alba) Oil, Chamomile (Anthemis Nobilis Flower) Oil, Clary (Salvia Sclarea), Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia), Coltsfoot Leaf (Tussilago Fargara), Yarrow (Achillea Millefolium) Oil, Mallow (Malya Sylvestris), Horsetail (Equisetum Arvense) Oil, Soybean Protein (Glycine Soja), Cetyl Alcohol (Plant Derived), Tocopherol (*Vitamin E), Trace Minerals, Citric Acid (Corn), Sodium Hydroxymethlyglycinate, Grapefruit Seed (Citrus Derived)

KBB milk:
    Purified Water, Jojoba and Avocado Oils, Vegetable Wax, Vitamin E, Panthenol, Arnica and Calendula Flowers, Echinacea, Nettle and Horsetail Extracts, Vegetable Glycerin, Wheat Germ Oil, Fragrance Oil and Natural Enzymes

Purified Water, Grapeseed Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Vegetable Wax, Panthenol, Yucca Extract, Horsetail Extract, Nettle Extract, Melissa Extract, Essential and/or Fragrance Oil, Vitamin E and Natural Enzymes.

DM detangler:
    Ingredients: Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Juice, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Helianthus communis (Sunflower) oil, Linum Usitatissimum (Flaxseed) extract), Cocos Nucifera (coconut) Milk, d-Calcium Pantothenate (Panthenol Vitamin B5), citric acid, silver citrate, potassium sorbate and 100% natural fragrance.
    That's why I love this board - everyone is so helpful! I'm been wanting to try to KBB , and I think I have a sample of the DM, so I'll try that to see how it works. You guys are the best!

Talltwinmom, if you're trying to avoid behentrimonium methosulfate, you may not want to try your sample of DM detangler since it has that ingredient in it.
    3a (protein sensitive)
    Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Cleansers: Mop-C Hydrating Shampoo, JCGLS
    Conditioners: CJCR, TJTTT
    Leave-in: CJCR, CK Satin Roots
    Stylers: UFDCM, CJPP
    Standby items:GVP K-Pak
    Jusduit wrote: »

KBB milk:

DM detangler:

Talltwinmom, if you're trying to avoid behentrimonium methosulfate, you may not want to try your sample of DM detangler since it has that ingredient in it.

Whew - thanks! I was just going to jump in the shower. Strike that one off my list.
  • melaniesusanmelaniesusan Posts: 948Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Jusduit wrote: »

Good catch, Jusduit! I didn't even notice that when I posted the ingredient list! :salut:
    hair type: 2B/3A
    low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
    condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab
    winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
    summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CIAB + Curl Queen
    http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    Why would you want to avoid Behentrimonium Methosulfate? It's one of the best detanglers out there and NOT a sulfate! This is one of the ingredients I always look for in my conditioners:

"Behentrimonium methosulfate is the mildest hair-detangling ingredient available. It is made from non-genetically modified rapeseed oil. This scientifically sophisticated ingredient is renowned for its superior detangling ability, without causing build-up on the hair. Unlike other hair detanglers, which are known for their irritancy, behentrimonium methosulfate is extremely mild, being recommended for use in baby products which are left on the skin. It is superior in effectiveness and mildness to it's commonly used cheaper cousin, behentrimonium chloride. It is not a sulfate."

ETA: Oops - just noticed that you might be allergic to this - sorry!
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file