Accidental HG combo discovery!

rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
I know I posted this on another thread; but its the 3rd time its given me great hair so I feel its more than a fluke.

I never loved my Boots - the hold was a bit too soft for me. This week I pulled it out and out of the blue got the idea to layer it over my DMHJ (which always enhances and prolongs my curl definition). The combo worked - even better than my winter HGs DMHJ/HESMU! (I love the SMU, and I like the ringlets the HJ give me, but the 2 combined were a smidgen stiffer than I liked)

The HJ gives me ringlet formation and the Boots makes them clumpy and soft. I have been getting random compliments from people who already know and compliment my hair, to the effect that it looks even better than usual! Even my SO, who is sick to death of hearing about my hair is raving.

Posted a few pics in my photobucket; will add todays latest ones tonite.

Try it!!!:blob7:
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album

Comments

• eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can't wait to try this combo. I received my Boots and am waiting on the DMHJ. Thanks for the update, Rudeechick. Your photos are great, love your gorgeous ringlets! I'm looking forward to seeing more shots.
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    eche428 wrote: »
    I can't wait to try this combo. I received my Boots and am waiting on the DMHJ. Thanks for the update, Rudeechick. Your photos are great, love your gorgeous ringlets! I'm looking forward to seeing more shots.
    You are gonna LOVE the DMHJ - whatever you use it with! Keep us posted!
    My Photobucket Album
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    DITTO rudee your ringlets are simply :love4: sadly I had to give up on the DMHJ cuz the oils were making my hair FREAK but I"m still having great days with BOOTS got 3 days out of my wash last time I used it. I credit the R2D2 for giving me back multiple hair days again but the products have to be good to begin with!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    DEL2C wrote: »
    DITTO rudee your ringlets are simply :love4: sadly I had to give up on the DMHJ cuz the oils were making my hair FREAK but I"m still having great days with BOOTS got 3 days out of my wash last time I used it. I credit the R2D2 for giving me back multiple hair days again but the products have to be good to begin with!
    Thank you both for the compliment!

Del, I STILL havent opened R2D2.... this weekend I hope!

I didnt know you gave up on the HJ... you do seem to have an issues with oils, so it makes perfect sense.
    My Photobucket Album
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    Absolutely GORJ! :blob7:
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    oooooh it looks fantastic!

*sigh* does this mean I need to try this combo when I wash tonight? lol

I'll admit, I'm not a huge fan of either product at the moment. They're so-so, and I haven't touched them since my initial experiments with them. Maybe it's time though...
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
    Absolutely GORJ! :blob7:
    MimsTX wrote: »
    oooooh it looks fantastic!
    Thanks, W. Do you use the DMHJ?

*sigh* does this mean I need to try this combo when I wash tonight? lol

I'll admit, I'm not a huge fan of either product at the moment. They're so-so, and I haven't touched them since my initial experiments with them. Maybe it's time though...
    I used my Boots twice and put it away for months. I only took it out because another curly wanted feedback on it. And when I re-usedit I got the same meh results as I had in the past. But it popped into my head that the DMHJ - which gives me excellent curl def and retention, might enhance it. And it did!

My 2nd day hair is the best curl retention I have EVER had with any product - will take pics later.

Thanks for the positve feedback!
    My Photobucket Album
  • Chelley MaeChelley Mae Posts: 359Registered Users
    OK, i already commented no this topic on another thread but this seems like a more appropriate thread for it. So....DMHJ UNDER a curl cream....innnnttterrresting. I tried DMHJ OVER the DM CCB yesterday and I like the results, although my hair did feel producty (may have used too much). How much HJ are you using and how much curl cream over it? Also, what method are you using to apply each? Oh, and do you use a leave in, lol...ok thats the last question, lol.
    2b/3A/ Fine/Med Porosity (i think)
    Mod CG
    Currently Using:
    Cleanser: Kathymack soap bars, Giovannie TTTT
    Rinse Out: CJ Curl Theory, Aussie 3 Min Miracle, Giovanni 50:50, Jasmine's Shea, Sevi Pumpkin Seed
    Leave Ins: Jasmines Babasu Buttercream, CJ CALI (HG), Jasmines Shea, CJ BCLI
    Stylers: CJ CCCC-Lite, Komaza CHP, SS CEJ, CJ SG
    Gels: CJ AF (HG), HEBE (HG)

OK, i already commented no this topic on another thread but this seems like a more appropriate thread for it. So....DMHJ UNDER a curl cream....innnnttterrresting. I tried DMHJ OVER the DM CCB yesterday and I like the results, although my hair did feel producty (may have used too much). How much HJ are you using and how much curl cream over it? Also, what method are you using to apply each? Oh, and do you use a leave in, lol...ok thats the last question, lol.
    In my mind Boots is a gel. I use about a dime or 2 of the HJ run over the length of my hair, as if gathering for a pony. Then I scrunch the boots in.

I gotta tell you, I have always gotten 2nd and 3rd day hair, happily. My hair would gradually loosen to flowing waves, which I LOVE. But this combo is giving me 2nd and 3rd days that are as curly as day one.

The ONLY catch is if you miss a spot with the boots it shows, so I am carefull to try to apply it consistantly (which is harder IMO with a thick product).
    My Photobucket Album
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    oooook... so against what I thought was my better judgment, I gave this combo a try. lol, I'll even admit, while i was in the shower putting this stuff in my hair I was standing there thinking "No way in HECK is this going to work".

After scrunching out some excess water and starting to diffuse, my thoughts solidified. My hair was looking a MESS... stringy, more wavy than curly and just kinda blah. Still, I persevered... what did i have to lose, at that point?

Got it to about 80% dry and figured "WTH" and put in a couple of globs of FOTE. My hair just can't seem to go without SOME kind of gel, and it was kind of a last ditch effort before giving up and putting it up in a ponytail. Didn't have much hope, at that point.

And then it finished drying, and i looked in the mirror... and wow. lol. My hair wasn't quite as curly as it normally is, but it was SOOOOOOFT and flowy and very volumous and light. As the day went on, the curls just kep shrinking so that by the evening my hair was just about as curly as it is with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink].

Thinking it was a fluke, I tried it again the next day, with some Proclaim gel as well and it turned out even better! I can't get 2nd day with the combo (but then again, I haven't been getting it with anything lately) but it's definitely a keeper.

Rudee's a genius.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Here I go following the Pied Piper again! Gotta have some DMHJ. I'd been resisting DM products so far, but those perfect Rudeechick ringlets have made me succumb!
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    oooook... so against what I thought was my better judgment, I gave this combo a try. lol, I'll even admit, while i was in the shower putting this stuff in my hair I was standing there thinking "No way in HECK is this going to work".

Thinking it was a fluke, I tried it again the next day, with some Proclaim gel as well and it turned out even better! I can't get 2nd day with the combo (but then again, I haven't been getting it with anything lately) but it's definitely a keeper.

Rudee's a genius.
    auntnett wrote: »
    Here I go following the Pied Piper again! Gotta have some DMHJ. I'd been resisting DM products so far, but those perfect Rudeechick ringlets have made me succumb!

AuntNett GET IT! Its amazing!

Mims, so glad you had success. I keep doing it thinking "this time it will flop". Used it again today, this time with a smig of HESMU over it (was curious). I will post pics on my photobucket, but they do no justice. RINGLETS. Like 3b ringlets! :blob8:

Its so funky; this combo gives me the most consistant multi-day hair.... I dont get it.
    My Photobucket Album
    Oh, I can't wait to get my DMHJ!!! I'm loving Boots so far and can't wait to try this combo. :toothy8:

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rudeechick wrote: »

Rudee's a genius.

Mims, so glad you had success. I keep doing it thinking "this time it will flop". Used it again today, this time with a smig of HESMU over it (was curious). I will post pics on my photobucket, but they do no justice. RINGLETS. Like 3b ringlets! :blob8:

Its so funky; this combo gives me the most consistant multi-day hair.... I dont get it.

Would love to, but it's SOLD OUT! Guess what site I'll be visiting daily?
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Rudee's a genius.

Would love to, but it's SOLD OUT! Guess what site I'll be visiting daily?
    It was sold out when I first wanted it - came back in stock quickly.
    My Photobucket Album
    OK Rude, I've tried this combo and it's not working for me. I've tried it like this:

1) co-wash, leave-in, DMHJ and Boots scrunched into soaking wet hair. Results = super frizzy, no hold, 3A curls turned flat and 2B after about an hour.

2) co-wash, leave-in, DHHJ, Boots, L'Oreal Melting Gel. Better hold but still lots of frizz.

3) co-wash, leave-in, DMHJ, Boots, FSG. Pretty much the same as with the Melting gel.

Any clue what I'm doing wrong? I'm thinking maybe my hair just doesn't like the DMHJ. I know it didn't like the Pudding but thought that was just because the Pudding is so thick and rich.

Any suggestions on different techniques or products to try?

• ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Um.....what does DMHJ stand for?

Thank you.
    Donna Marie Honey and Aloe Jelly :toothy9:

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    OK Rude, I've tried this combo and it's not working for me. I've tried it like this:

1) co-wash, leave-in, DMHJ and Boots scrunched into soaking wet hair. Results = super frizzy, no hold, 3A curls turned flat and 2B after about an hour.

2) co-wash, leave-in, DHHJ, Boots, L'Oreal Melting Gel. Better hold but still lots of frizz.

3) co-wash, leave-in, DMHJ, Boots, FSG. Pretty much the same as with the Melting gel.

Any clue what I'm doing wrong? I'm thinking maybe my hair just doesn't like the DMHJ. I know it didn't like the Pudding but thought that was just because the Pudding is so thick and rich.

When I did this I did not use a leave in. I just used the DMHJ and the boots and then I did use a gel over it all (BHRG I believe). I cannot remember if rudeechick used a leave in or not.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    xcptnl wrote: »

When I did this I did not use a leave in. I just used the DMHJ and the boots and then I did use a gel over it all (BHRG I believe). I cannot remember if rudeechick used a leave in or not.

Oh, I forgot, I did use the DMHJ with Boots and no leave-in. I didn't take pics because the frizz was off the charts. I'll try this again but with a gel and see what happens. Thanks!

• pilateschickpilateschick Posts: 222Registered Users
    I am going to try DMHJ under boot next, I really liked Boots then DMHJ combo.

I wondered, has anyone tried this pairing with the new formulation of DMHJ? I have a full bottle of the old formula of DMHJ and hate to think that the new formula will send me back to the drawing board!
    Thanks
    modified CG, since January 09
    As I am Coconut Cowash, low poo. Clarify once a month
    RO: Elucence moisture Bal.
    DT: CJ Rehab
    LI: Marie Dean Red Clover honey (in low dews only)
    Jelly/Gelly products: As I am curl enhancing jelly-near HG status
    KCCC- Classic but fickle

HGs: Aloe Fix alone or over Boots Curl Cream

PJ cabinet full of failed combos
    OY! DMHJ has reformulated?? WHy do they do that???

Anyway, I dont use a leave in, but I never do. When I first tried the Boots in the Fall, I got fuzzy definitionless hair. I only retried it because i liked coils I was getting with the HJ.

I'd say, if you tried it any which way and it isnt working, move on. Dont make yourself nuts over it:hiding:
    My Photobucket Album

Anyway, I dont use a leave in, but I never do. When I first tried the Boots in the Fall, I got fuzzy definitionless hair. I only retried it because i liked coils I was getting with the HJ.

I'd say, if you tried it any which way and it isnt working, move on. Dont make yourself nuts over it:hiding:

This is good advice! I tried it again today - no leave-in, DMHJ, Boots then FSG. I'm still getting lots of surface frizz. I don't think my hair likes the aloe and oils combo. I think I'll try the Boots with just FSG and see how that works. If it's bad then I'll go back to just leave-in and FSG. So far that seems to be the best combo for me.

This is good advice! I tried it again today - no leave-in, DMHJ, Boots then FSG. I'm still getting lots of surface frizz. I don't think my hair likes the aloe and oils combo. I think I'll try the Boots with just FSG and see how that works. If it's bad then I'll go back to just leave-in and FSG. So far that seems to be the best combo for me.
    Many have that reaction to those oils! And generally my hair doesnt love aloe, so I was surprised it worked on me. I actually have success with the HJ under any gel.

Different strokes....
    My Photobucket Album

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file