Giovanni 50/50, no protein?

ParatyParaty Posts: 394Registered Users
I know that the Giovanni products supposedly have a protein base, but I couldn't find any mention of protein in the 50/50 conditioner ingredients. I spoke to a Giovanni rep. at the Whole foods where I purchased, and she didn't know either. I also looked at the reviews in CurlProducts and people mention protein building up in their hair, but I don't see it in the ingredients. I subsequently purchased a sample, used it on my hair a few times as a leave-in, and my hair is nothing but soft and moisturized! I am super protein sensitive ( over a year of experimenting) and both the Giovanni Direct-leave-in (soybean protein) and Trader Joe's NS (textured soy protein) immediately left my hair dry, brittle, and frazzled. Too many oils also produce the same results. Could it be that the 50/50 is actually protein free (it doesn't contain oils either) and can join the list of protein free conditioners? Or maybe the effects will show up over time? :dontknow:

ETA: Okay, I know soy is protein rich so anything containing soy will have protein, but Giovanni lists soybean protein on some of their products, and then with the 50/50 in particular soybean seed extract?
Hair • Wellness • Style Blog

Routine: Cleanse Kenra Clarifying, Deep Co with Matrix Biolage Balm + oil (EVOO, avocado, KCPP or Wild Growth oil),:glasses1:Style with Matrix Biolage Balm + KCPP; or Aloe water + KCPP + KCCC; or CR Almond Jai + styler (KCCC, KCPP or Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Treluxe combo (Treluxe UK leave-in, KCPP, Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Eco gel alone (Argan or Olive). Avoiding Buildup with low glycerin, coconut, shea, honey, non-keratin protein.

Comments

• onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    Ingredients: Purified Water, With Rosemary Oil, Nettle Oil, Thyme Oil, Birch Leaf Oil Chamomile Oil, Clary, Lavender, Coltsfoot Leaf, Yarrow Oil, Mallow, Horsetail Oil, Soybean Protein, Tocopherol, Acecetamide Mea, Cetyl Alcohol, Trace Minerals, Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Grapefruit Seed.

I pulled this off Vitacost.com, but if you actually have the bottle, I suppose that'd be more accurate. Might they have changed the formula a little? In any case, good for you if it works. And good for me, too, because I'm protein sensitive.
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
    Ingredients: Aqua (purified water) , rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, urtica dioica (nettle) extract, thymus vulgaris (thyme) extract, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) extract, salvia sclarea (lcary) leaf extract, lavendula angustifolia (lavender), tussilago farfara (coltsfoot) flower extract, achillea miliefolium (yarrow) extract, seed extract, cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, glycerin, brassicamidopropyl dimethylamine, panthenol, cetrimonium chloride, cetearyl alcohol, hydroxypropyl guar, behentrimonium methosulfate, polysorbate 60, citric acid, disodium EDTA, ethylhexylglycerin, phenoxyethanol, fragrance with essential oils.

Hm, this is also off vitacost.com, for a product called Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Hydrating-Calming Conditioner. I think the other I listed was just 50/50 Balancing Conditioner.

Must check out Giovanni at Target again.
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    onethousandcurls- the first list of ingredients you posted is for the old formula, the second list is the reformulation. Unless I'm overlooking something it looks like there isn't any protein in it anymore.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
    YES! Excellent news. Thanks, Gemini.
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
  • ParatyParaty Posts: 394Registered Users
    Thanks for researching. Yes, I looked around and it looks like the last one was called Giovanni 50/50 Balanced hair Remoisturizer conditioner and it had soybean protein.

The old description reads:

Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Moisturizer is a blend of natural herbs, minerals and vegetable protein. Specially formulated to lift the cuticle and add moisture and life to dry hair.

The one I have is the 50/50 Balanced Hydrating-Calming conditioner and it has soybean seed extract, right where the second set of ingredients you listed contains seed extract. It must be the newer formulation as Gemini mentioned. Some descriptions mention protein (never vegetable protein) and some descriptions never mention the protein in it. Oh well, it's working very well so far, which is surprising for a line that is known for being protein based. :-o
    Hair • Wellness • Style Blog

Routine: Cleanse Kenra Clarifying, Deep Co with Matrix Biolage Balm + oil (EVOO, avocado, KCPP or Wild Growth oil),:glasses1:Style with Matrix Biolage Balm + KCPP; or Aloe water + KCPP + KCCC; or CR Almond Jai + styler (KCCC, KCPP or Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Treluxe combo (Treluxe UK leave-in, KCPP, Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Eco gel alone (Argan or Olive). Avoiding Buildup with low glycerin, coconut, shea, honey, non-keratin protein.
  • spiral-ncspiral-nc Posts: 716Registered Users
    I have the new formula as well, and I think the glycine soja extract is protein. The new label says "Infuses each strand of hair with vitamins, nutrients, and protein for strength and vitality."
    spirals, kinks, s-shapes and coils.

http://public.fotki.com/Spiral

H is for Henna and Healthy Hair!
    Use only the PURE STUFF

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file