CurlTalk

UK CGers - start our own CG friendly product list!

jennyfurrensjennyfurrens Posts: 708Registered Users
Ok, as suggested in another thread, I'm going to start a CG friendly product list. It'll be small to start with but others can suggest and it'll grow. There's a huge list out on a thread somewhere with all products but about 90% are only available in America. So let's try this!

Shampoo

Avalon Organics (Sainsburys)
Aloe Pura Aloe Vera Shampoo (Holland and Barrets)
Tea Tree Shampoo (Holland and Barrets)

Conditioners
Original Source Almond and Coconut (Tescos, Boots)
Original Source Teatree and Peppermint
Australlian Organics (Holland and Barret)
Aussie Miracle Moist (Boots, Superdrug etc)
Aussie Colour Mate
Tesco Coconut Conditioner (Tesco )

Styling Products

Boots Curl Creme
Umberto Giannini Curl Friends Gel (has alcohol denat so maybe drying)
Biosilk Rock Hard Gel (Sallys)

That's all I can think of that I've used. Please add to the list as this will really benefit all the Uk CGers!

There's also a few products that have amethicone only in them, that can be removed with cocobetaine if some people are interested in those products:

The Body Shop Brazil Nut Moisture Mask
Garnier Fructis Smooth and Sleek Conditioner
Garnier Fructis Curls Conditioner
Garnier Fructis Smooth and Sleek Styling Cream

Let's get this list going guys

cleanse: OS shampoo. PureNuffStuff cleanser.
condition: Aussie 3MM. Jessicurl Aloeba.
style: B2Basics GreenTeaGel. T&G Curl Balm. JCarter Nourish&Shine.

pw: curlywurly

Comments

• JoeyEmmaJoeyEmma Posts: 88Registered Users
    I use VO5 Sun Kissed Raspberry conditioner (the American stuff). I get it for £1 a bottle from TJ Hughes (discount shop in NW England)
    UK curly.

3a-ish, with bits of 3b ringlets underneath and 2b/c waves on canopy. Medium coarse, normal elasticity, normal porosity (now know thanks to Curl Wizard analysis).

No poo- Palmers conditioning cleanser
    DT- Jessicurl WDT or Darcy's Pumpkin
    Styling- John Frieda curl controller gel
    Don’t like- Deva NoPoo, JC CC, JC CQ, KCCC, plopping.
    Loves air drying gentle scrunching with microfibre towels
    Don't like plopping, pixie method diffusing
  • GrecianCurlsGrecianCurls Posts: 256Registered Users
    hey JoeyEmma.. is the V05 stuff good? I take it you use it as part of a shampoo-less routine?
    fine 3b curls and spirals - first goal BSL!!

HG's - Body Shop Honey shampoo & conditioner and Shea Moisture leave-in condish which gives me lovely frizz-free bouncy curls. My PJ is calling me to experiment with gels again... argh!
  • JoeyEmmaJoeyEmma Posts: 88Registered Users
    I do like it. I must say that I don't use it totally like the CG routine suggests, to cleanse, I slather on loads of the stuff like people on the LHC forum do. I then rinse and use some of it as a leave in like in the CG book.

My hair always feels soft and shiny with the V05. To be honest I have only tried a few conditioners for CO washing.

Superdrug Apple conditioner- first I tried and I loved it.
    Boots Basics conditioner- evil stuff, hated it, dry strawlike hair.
    Asda Apple conditioner- not that great, left my hair feeling dry.

Of the ones that I have tried I've had the best results with the V05 and the Superdrug appe conditioner.
    UK curly.

3a-ish, with bits of 3b ringlets underneath and 2b/c waves on canopy. Medium coarse, normal elasticity, normal porosity (now know thanks to Curl Wizard analysis).

No poo- Palmers conditioning cleanser
    DT- Jessicurl WDT or Darcy's Pumpkin
    Styling- John Frieda curl controller gel
    Don’t like- Deva NoPoo, JC CC, JC CQ, KCCC, plopping.
    Loves air drying gentle scrunching with microfibre towels
    Don't like plopping, pixie method diffusing
    Thanks for the info JoeyEmma! Think i might give it a go! I prefer the LHC way of doing things as well to be honest.

HG's - Body Shop Honey shampoo & conditioner and Shea Moisture leave-in condish which gives me lovely frizz-free bouncy curls. My PJ is calling me to experiment with gels again... argh!
  • aeroheadaerohead Posts: 179Registered Users
    i have the VO5 peach moisturising milks, fantastic stuff, got it from the local cheap shop for 99pence, thinking that if its rubbish then its only 99pence, no hardship, wow was i in for a surprise, i use it as a styler, i just scrunch some in when i have got out of the shower, makes my hair smell and feel wonderful!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thick, 2C with little 3A's thrown in to make my hair look a little more wild.FIA:2c/3a-M
    Last Haircut:17/1/07
    Ultimate Goal: To go as long as possible
    Products Used:coconut cowash, tescos own gel citrus spice whipped butter
    Hair Length:BSL
    NEW PHOTOS ADDED: 20th August'09
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Faerohead%2F" class="Popup
    Hello,

I've been searching about for some CG friendly conditioners available in the UK and i thought i'd share my results! Some of them are a little pricey but the ingredients look pretty good... on many of the sites there are other conditioners available which may be CG, i've just added the ones that caught my eye!

Faith in nature aloe (£3.80 for 400ml)
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.faithinnature.co.uk%2Fshop_frameset.asp%3Fmainframe%3Dcatlink.asp%3FCat%3D62" class="Popup

Faith in nature jojoba with vit B5 (£3.80 for 400ml)
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.faithinnature.co.uk%2Fshop_frameset.asp%3Fmainframe%3Dcatlink.asp%3FCat%3D62" class="Popup

Purely Mild and Moisturising (£4.60 for 200ml)
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beautynaturals.com%2Fproduct.asp%3Fref%3DPN-21" class="Popup

Pure Nuff Stuff (£4.95 for 250ml)
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.purenuffstuff.co.uk%2Fproducts%2F4%2Fhair-conditioner.php" class="Popup

Green People - various lovely looking (but quite expensive) products
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.greenpeople.co.uk%2F" class="Popup

Natura vit e, shea butter and orange oil (£12.50 for 250ml)
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.organic-skincare-shop.co.uk%2Fproddetail.php%3Fprod%3Dac-hai-004%26amp%3Bcat%3D21" class="Popup

Real Purity native earth (has many of the same ingredients as jessicurls aloeba e.g. aloe vera, avocado oil, jojoba, horsetail, nettle, rosemary - £13.99 for 8oz)
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.absolutelypure.com%2Findex.php%2Ffuseaction%2Fshop.product%2Fcategoryid%2F390%2Fproductid%2F1102" class="Popup

• curly52curly52 Posts: 350Registered Users
    anyone using any good hair gels atm?
    uk curly - 3a :toothy7:
    Hey Curly52.. have you tried Boots curl creme (the pink one)?

wow sorry for the multiple posts, no idea how that happened!
    GrecianCurls, yep i'm using it right now but am still looking for the perfect CG gel, there's hardly any here to choose from :(
    what are you currently using?
    I know EXACTLY what you mean!! To be honest i've completely given up on finding a gel in the UK, i don't think my hair likes gel anyway as its so easy to weigh down... i'm sure i'll start the search again because i can't help myself!!! For now i'm using mostly Jessicurl products (HCC, Aloeba, rocking ringlets and Shea Moisture leave-in conditioner), i buy my stuff from mariposa import and the shipping cost is just about acceptable as shes in europe.

If you get any luck pleeeease let us know!

lol i understand unfortunately. right now i'm using frizz ease curl controller gel, it's not perfect but it'll do. i also layer boots gel over the top of it, maybe you could try these?
  • Kris KurlKris Kurl Posts: 28Registered Users
    We now have a Waitrose in Edinburgh - I discovered they sell lots of Duchy Original stuff, including:

Duchy Collection shampoo - (at least 2 "flavours"), sulphate free & all organic. Not cheap, but not extortionate - £4.95 for 200 ml.

I also like the following conditioner, very cheap indeed from Bodycare, smells wonderful:

Inecto Moisture Miracle Conditioner with coconut oil, 500ml bottle for around £2.

also

Body Shop Honey Moisturising Conditioner - more expensive, around £8 for 400ml. It does contain amodimethicone, but it's way down the ingredient list. Very thick and rich. There is a matching shampoo that is gentle.
  • snowgoosesnowgoose Posts: 76Registered Users
    I was using the boots curl cream, but either my hair has had enough, or it's because I'm pregnant or it's due to the weather change or something else altogether but my hair has gone nuts, and the cream isn't keeping the curl.I purchased some GF pure fix this morning.....I shall try it tomorrow.

if this is diplayed more than once, it's cos I am really stuggling with the servor!
    3a,fine.
    using : a varied assortment till I work out what the heck is going on
    scrunch or plop with old t shirt
    Garnier endurance hold gel

Mop clean system- hair feels stripped after using it. Anyone want it? then I can justify getting something different.

4 kids, 1 husband, emigrated to Australia -filling in forms, buying a house, sorting out school...and trying to track down hair products

= no time
  • snowgoosesnowgoose Posts: 76Registered Users
    GF pure fix, way too strong!
    3a,fine.
    using : a varied assortment till I work out what the heck is going on
    scrunch or plop with old t shirt
    Garnier endurance hold gel

Mop clean system- hair feels stripped after using it. Anyone want it? then I can justify getting something different.

4 kids, 1 husband, emigrated to Australia -filling in forms, buying a house, sorting out school...and trying to track down hair products

= no time
  • -curly-claire--curly-claire- Posts: 127Registered Users
    Isn't Trevor Sorbie CG or have water soluble cones in it? I'm sure I read somewhere it has..
    Pass: curly
    3A.
  • one way streetone way street Posts: 772Registered Users
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.naturalfrizz.co.uk%2F" class="Popup

That site has CG products like Jessicurl and MopTop. They accept GB pounds and Euros.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.honestycosmetics.co.uk%2F" class="Popup

They have some products that might be CG.
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii
    Fotki album and journal updated: 10/01/07
    password: springlet

Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.
  • Blood_RedBlood_Red Posts: 49Registered Users
    Are the Original Source conditioners mentioned at the top the only ones from that brand that are CG friendly? Or are they all ok ? :|

x
    UK CG since May 2008! :sunny:
    * Original Source conditioner
    Evidently trying not to be a junkie. :cyclops::angel11:

:blob7: <- I am ALWAYS like this!
  • janeylizjaneyliz Posts: 777Registered Users
    A few additions to the CG list that are easily obtainable in the UK:

Boots tea tree and mint condish Boots the Chemist or www.boots.com
    Faith in Nature Lavender and Geranium condish (I think all their condish's are CG)
    Jason Lavender for curly hair
    Both the above can be found in health food stores.
    Biotera gel - Sally's are popping up all over now, if you use their store locator you can see if there's one near you www.sallybeauty.com and use the store locator
    Aveda Confixor and Aveda Flax Seed and Aloe
    I buy mine in Selfridges simply because it's near my office, but you can buy it from www.lookfantastic.com - great site, use them a lot.
    Paul Mitchell Round Trip (usually only available from salons) Look Fantastic also sell this
    Burts Bees super shiny I bought mine from a health food shop
    Aubrey Organics - I think all the condish's are CG
    They have their own site or you can get it from ebay
    Hope this helps :)
    Marchioness Chinoise in the land of Mancunia Productia Junkia in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

DT: AOHR
    Wash: Anita Grant babassu bar
    Leave-in: Body Shop cotton seed curl boost with manuka honey mixed in
    Gel: Umberto Giannini Curl Friends scrunching gel
    Odds & ends Lime juice, honey, Anita Grant cafe latte
    I brush with a Tangle Teezer & love Flexi-8's
    www.public.fotki.com/janeyliz
    www.thelilyfoundation.org.uk
    janeyliz wow thanks!! but could you list where to buy the products from?
    also ,just looked at your fotki and your hair is beautiful!
  • janeylizjaneyliz Posts: 777Registered Users
    Aw, thank you!

I've amended my posting above to show where you can get stuff. Ebay is quite good.

Edit: June 6th - I'll try again to add the information to teh above post, keyed it all in last night and the internet connection went down grrrr
    Marchioness Chinoise in the land of Mancunia Productia Junkia in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

DT: AOHR
    Wash: Anita Grant babassu bar
    Leave-in: Body Shop cotton seed curl boost with manuka honey mixed in
    Gel: Umberto Giannini Curl Friends scrunching gel
    Odds & ends Lime juice, honey, Anita Grant cafe latte
    I brush with a Tangle Teezer & love Flexi-8's
    www.public.fotki.com/janeyliz
    www.thelilyfoundation.org.uk
  • SocksSocks Posts: 15Registered Users
    Thought that I too would add some stuff CG that I have spotted!

-Waitrose organic moisturising shampoo (SLS free, very gentle.. I love this)
    -Enliven natural fruit extract conditioners (cheap, have seen them in some chemists. Might be some CG friendly gels too)
    -Daniel Galvin Junior hair mousse (waitrose)
    -Fabulous Fruits conditioner (found in Poundland)
    -Protane strong wet gel (Aldi)

I also found a site that has a good range of organic and CG friendly products - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wintonhealthfoods.co.uk%2F" class="Popup I ordered from them a couple of days ago via ebay and the order arrived today :)
    Another UK Curly! 2c/3A-ish. Modified CG.

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FCharlotteSocks%2F" class="Popup

Products I like: Waitrose organic moisturising shampoo, ASDA essential care conditioners, AOHR, Body Shop honey conditioner, Boots pink curl creme... still trying to find a gel I like, and a routine that ALWAYS works.
  • PhoenixRisingPhoenixRising Posts: 28Registered Users
    Yaoh organic hemp seed oil shampoo and conditioner. Has a gorgeous minty, rosemary and lavender scent.

I am confused though, I've been using Original Source for a few months but I was buying a new bottle of the mint and teatree and looked at the label and it lists methylisothiazolinone and methylchoroisothiazolinone, yikes! That wasn't in there before I'm sure.

I have Pure Nuff Stuff but my hair doesn't like the conditioner and it doesn't seem to clean it properly used for CO washing either.

Avalon organics lavendar shampoo is nice.

For styling I use Boots curl creme and gel, but my favourite is Trevor Sorbie curl cream and Vo5 firm control gel ( the stronger one is too strong, the Boots one is a bit too weak)
  • curlywurly271curlywurly271 Posts: 286Registered Users
    I'm not sure if these have already been mentioned but I just bought the following and I'm pretty sure they're all CG friendly...

Simple rich repair conditioner
    Simple gentle care conditioner
    organic aloe vera herbal conditioner (holland and barrett)
    pantene perfect curls curl creating gel spray
    garnier fructis gravity defying gel
    aaaaaand ... naked nourishing vitamins hair treatment
    UK curly :occasion8:

event.png
  • SwabzySwabzy Posts: 1Registered Users
    This is my first comment...how exciting!!! :toothy7:

I've got 3c/4a hair and I totally love TRESemme's moisture rich conditioner and it is cheap and easy to get hold of.

I am still searching for a good leave-in though.
    4a ..... I think
    BC: 14th Feb 08

cleanse: KC Come Clean
    condition: TRESemme Conditoner
    style: KC Curl Custard, Fantasia Gel
  • hockeymomof3hockeymomof3 Posts: 2,159Registered Users
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Conditioner - One Condition
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Looking to try Devacurl Decadence line next! Can't wait to try it.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users
    These sites are really useful. Heres another if hasnt already been mentioned:

www.faithinnature.co.uk
  • hahgiwoofahahgiwoofa Posts: 87Registered Users
    Hi, I'm new to accepting my curly hair and this CG stuff!!

Am I right to think I need to avoid any ingredient with 'cone' at the end (i think it was ameithicone?)

I've used;
    John Frieda frizz ease
    Schwatzkopf gliss Total 19
    Umberto Gianni
    Loreal studio curl creme (white with orange top)

has anyone any comments about if these are good or not?

I've seen lots of talk about boots curl creme, what does the container look like?
    :afro: UK based curly bonce! (Lancs)
    :banghead: silicone, or not to silicone - that is the question!!!
    :wav:
    Uses:
    CG - australian organics (Holland and Barratt) poo & condish, Louise Galvin Deep condish treatment, boots pink curl creme
    non CG - Umberto Gianni pink range, L'Oreal Studio Line Curl Power Controlling Creme
    Still searching for the winning combination!!!