Ouidad's new DT Formula - BEWARE!

curly01curly01 Curl NeophytePosts: 284Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Just wondering if there's anyone else that uses the original Ouidad DT formula. I'm hoping that if enough people complain, maybe they'll change it back!

I have used this DT for several years, and it has been my favorite. However, the bottle that I recently received is a completely different formula. I tried it and it left my hair frizzy and kind of dried out feeling.
There's nowhere on the website that even informs you that it has changed, so you don't know until you've paid (a lot of money) for it, plus shipping!

They also recently changed the Botanical Boost leave-in, and a few other products. I used to love the BB spray and now it just makes my hair frizz - whether I use it on dry or wet hair.

Comments

• FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Did you send them an e-mail asking if they had changed the formulation?

The Ouidad DT is my favourite protein DT .... BUT .... I would be very annoyed if it wasn't the same product as it had been.

Prior to ordering this bottle, when was the last time you ordered from them? I ordered my bottle about a year and a half ago ... I haven't finished it yet .. I'm wondering if I have the 'new' formula or if they have changed it since then.

If you end up hearing from the company, please let us know.
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • kathymackkathymack Curl Neophyte Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    curly01 wrote: »
    They also recently changed the Botanical Boost leave-in, and a few other products. I used to love the BB spray and now it just makes my hair frizz - whether I use it on dry or wet hair.

I have 4oz of the Botanical Boost LI that I got in a swap last fall. I used it once and never again. PM me, maybe we can work something out.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curly01curly01 Curl Neophyte Posts: 284Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was told by customer service that the DT changed formula 3-4 months ago. The explanation for the changes was very vague - something like, they are constantly looking for the highest quality ingredients and sometimes it is necessary to change formulas.
    Re: the B.Boost, the only response was that they changed the fragrance slightly. However, all you have to do is compare the ingredients on both versions to see that it is more than a fragrance change. As well as the fact that it doesn't work the same anymore!
  • melaniesusanmelaniesusan Curl Neophyte Posts: 948Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    How sad! Last summer, Ouidad was my HG. I used the Ouidad botanical boost + Ouidad climate control gel. When I needed more moisture, I added the Ouidad balancing rinse as a leave-in conditioner.

These are the ingredients that changed:

OUIDAD BB - NEW FORMULA: Water, Panthenol, Cetrimonium Chlorid, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Centella Asiatica Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Rosa Canina Leaf Extract, Spirulina Maxima Extract, Methyl Gluceth-10, Butylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, Benzophenone-4, Benzalkonium Chloride, Fragrance, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin.

OUIDAD BB - OLD FORMULA: Water, Propylene Glycol, Panthenol, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Centella Asiatica Extract, Rosa Canina Fruit Extract, Spirulina Maxima Extract, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Methyl Gluceth-10, Benzalkonium Chloride, Cetrimonium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, Polysorbate 20, Benzophenone-4, Methylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance.

It looks to me like the main changes are: an increase in the amount of protein, a decrease in the amount of propylene glycol, and removal of the paraben.

Maybe the extra protein is giving you frizz...
    hair type: 2B/3A
    low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
    condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab
    winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
    summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CIAB + Curl Queen
    http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
  • melaniesusanmelaniesusan Curl Neophyte Posts: 948Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I also compared the climate control gel. At least with that, the ingredients appear to be unchanged.

I noticed they have a new "moisture lock" leave-in conditioner. At first, I thought maybe that is their replacment for the old botanical boost. But on closer examination, it's entirely different: glycerin, 'cones, and castor oil:

Ouidad Moisture Lock Leave-in Conditioner Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetyl peg/ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Amodimethicone, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydrogenated Castor Oil/Sebacic Acid Copolymer, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Polyquaternium-59, Panthenol (Vitamin B5), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Extract, Opuntia (Prickly Pear Cactus) Tuna Flower Extract, Parfum (Fragrance), Butylene Glycol, PVP, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Disodium EDTA, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate.

I guess if you use their "clear and gentle shampoo" you can then wash out both the 'cones?

Ouidad Clear and Gentle Shampoo Ingredients: Water, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Decyl Glucoside, Cocomidopropyl Betaine, Sorbitol, Polysorbate 20, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Linoleic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Arachidonic Acid, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract, Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans, Cocamide DEA, Cetrimonium Chloride, Butylene Glycol, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Methychloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance.
    winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
    How sad! Last summer, Ouidad was my HG. I used the Ouidad botanical boost + Ouidad climate control gel. When I needed more moisture, I added the Ouidad balancing rinse as a leave-in conditioner.

These are the ingredients that changed:

OUIDAD BB - NEW FORMULA: Water, Panthenol, Cetrimonium Chlorid, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Centella Asiatica Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Rosa Canina Leaf Extract, Spirulina Maxima Extract, Methyl Gluceth-10, Butylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, Benzophenone-4, Benzalkonium Chloride, Fragrance, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin.

OUIDAD BB - OLD FORMULA: Water, Propylene Glycol, Panthenol, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Centella Asiatica Extract, Rosa Canina Fruit Extract, Spirulina Maxima Extract, Hydrolyzed Rice Protein, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Methyl Gluceth-10, Benzalkonium Chloride, Cetrimonium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, Polysorbate 20, Benzophenone-4, Methylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance.

It looks to me like the main changes are: an increase in the amount of protein, a decrease in the amount of propylene glycol, and removal of the paraben.

Maybe the extra protein is giving you frizz...

FYI - the Clear & Gentle Poo and the Balancing Rinse also changed formula. I don't use either of those, but they came as free samples with a past order. I gave them to my kids. They have straight hair and can use pretty much anything!

When the BB first changed, the old ingredients were listed online, so they took the charges off my credit card. I checked the DT ingredients on the website after receiving this recent order, and the new ingredients are listed. However, since I had used this product for several years, it really didn't occur to me to check the ingredients prior to ordering. I just placed the order, assuming it was the same product as always!
    IMO, they really should specify that it's a new formulation. It seems a bit sneaky to me.
    They must be pretty darn confident that their new versions are better to not even bother notifying people that the ingredients have changed.

But given your experience, that's apparently not necessarily the case!
    You know, it's funny that Ouidad's new moisture-lock conditioner is so full of 'cones, considering what Ouidad has posted about cones on her own website:

(from: http://www.ouidad.com/styling-curly-hair )

"Silicone is like hot fudge— best in small doses. Silicone creates a barrier between your hair and the elements, so in one way, strands are protected from frizz-inducing rain, humidity and perspiration. Unfortunately, silicone also smothers the hairs cuticle, preventing it from 'breathing.' If silicone products are used too often the strands will become weak and limp and won't be able to form healthy, vibrant curls. Resort to silicone for emergencies when you don't have time to style your hair properly."

Does that mean that you're only supposed to use her leave-in conditioner during hair emergencies?
  • laurabeth33laurabeth33 Posts: 1,443Registered Users
    curly01 wrote: »
    FYI - the Clear & Gentle Poo and the Balancing Rinse also changed formula.

Are their new ingredient lists online or the old ones still? I didn't notice a difference with them right off. Is it a subtle or significant change?

Did you find the results with BB to be noticeable?
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek
    I just checked the Ouidad site, and the OLD ingredients are listed for both of these!
    New clear and gentle poo formula: water, ammonium lauryl sulfate, cocamidopropyl betaine, cocamide DEA, tocopherol, panthenol, triticum vulgare, wheat germ oil, simmondsia chinesis (jojoba) seed oil, hydrolyzed wheat protein, hydrolyzed glycosaminoglycans, linoleic acid, linolenic acid, arachidonic acid, sorbitol, lactamid MEA, polysorbate 20, quaternium-75, Disodium EDTA, citric acid, sodium chloride, DMDM hydantoin, methylparaben, fragrance.

Balancing Rinse new formula:Water, cetearyl alcohol, glycerin, glyceryl stearates, cetearyl ethylhexanoate, cetrimonium chloride, hydrolyzed wheat protein, polyquat-59, hydroxyethylcellulose, tocopheryl acetate, lactic acid, fragrance, butylene glycol, benzophenone-4, disodium EDTA, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone.

Yes, the BB new formula makes my hair frizz now. Whether I use it on dry or wet hair!

However, I have discovered that Robert Craig and Curlisto make spray leave-ins with the SAME ingredients as the original BB formula.
  • PrettycurlsPrettycurls Posts: 1,482Registered Users
    This is sad. I like the DT and the Balancing rinse. I even have already booked my appointment for my cut and style in the fall.

They tried the moisture lock on me last time. I had no idea that it had so many cones.
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

http://members.fotki.com/Prettycurls/about/ pw:curlspretty

• Heather0kayHeather0kay Curl Neophyte Posts: 667Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh no! That was my favorite stuff! I will try Komaza protein treatment tomorrow; If it works as well as their other products I will be happy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • madhuri_dixit_fanmadhuri_dixit_fan Posts: 310Registered Users
    Sodium Hydroxide is the main chemical used to straighten hair in relaxers, ie. destroy protein bonds in hair to make it straight. Guess it's used as a perservative in the new formula for that one Ouidad product or something, but even seeing that ingredient listed last on a product makes me cringe.:glasses9:
    RIP Natasha Richardson

Holy Grails: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner, AVG, EVO Coconut Oil, Amla Oil, KC Spiral Spritz, Brahmi Oil, Tea Tree eo, Rosemary eo, Distilled H2O, Aloe Vera Juice, Neem Oil, ACV, Dr. Bonner's Skikakai Castile Soap, Avocado Oil

Sometimes: AOMM Jelly, KCNT, KCCC
  • Katina128Katina128 Posts: 560Registered Users
    and I just ordered the BB a couple of days ago to try it. Bummer!! I do like the CC gel though, despite the cone.
    Katina, 3a redhead with spirals/waves
    My Faves:
    CJ CCCC Lite, Mirracurls gel, Marie Dean Curly Styling Cream
    Katina128 wrote: »
    and I just ordered the BB a couple of days ago to try it. Bummer!! I do like the CC gel though, despite the cone.

Hopefully you will have better luck with it than I did!
    I got it today. We'll see!
    My Faves:
    It seems okay so far. I think I like it. Hard to say with only using it 1x though.
    My Faves:
  • Isis1313Isis1313 Posts: 7Registered Users
    I am SO disappointed with Ouidad's new BB. I just bought the large (expensive) bottle and I hate it! I have been using it with the climate control for many years. It doesn't work as well and the frangrance is HORRIBLE. It is so strong! It's also sticky like a hair spray. I emailed them and got a generic answer about the fragrance change. I tried to post a comment on Ouidad.com and the moderators would not post it. Please everyone email Ouidad and complain, maybe they will change it back.
    Has anyone tried the Robert Craig and Curlisto leave-ins that someone else mentioned?
    New to CG, still learning!
    3b, fine, high porosity.
    Current products: Mostly devacurl but constantly trying new things!!
    Isis1313 wrote: »
    I am SO disappointed with Ouidad's new BB. I just bought the large (expensive) bottle and I hate it!

At least Ouidad will let you return it if you hate it. I disliked one of their conditioners that I tried, and emailed them about it. They let me return it. I just had to pay for the return shipping. I ended up exchanging it for a different conditioner, which they shipped for free.

Maybe if they get a lot of returns it will convince them that the old formula was better.
    I am SO disappointed with Ouidad's new BB. I just bought the large (expensive) bottle and I hate it! I have been using it with the climate control for many years. It doesn't work as well and the frangrance is HORRIBLE. It is so strong! It's also sticky like a hair spray. I emailed them and got a generic answer about the fragrance change. I tried to post a comment on Ouidad.com and the moderators would not post it. Please everyone email Ouidad and complain, maybe they will change it back.
    Has anyone tried the Robert Craig and Curlisto leave-ins that someone else mentioned?

Yes, they are very vague with all of their answers re: formula changes. They told me it was ONLY a fragrance change! You can compare ingredients on new and old versions and see that it's more than just a fragrance change. The RC and the Curlisto leave-in sprays have the same exact ingredients in the same order, and the same smell as the original Ouidad BB.

When I emailed to tell Ouidad how much I liked the original DT and that I did not like the new formula because of how it left my hair, I got no reply at all.
    I am hoping that if enough people complain, they will go back to all of the original formulas. Otherwise, they may start to lose faithful, long-term customers.
    At least Ouidad will let you return it if you hate it. I disliked one of their conditioners that I tried, and emailed them about it. They let me return it. I just had to pay for the return shipping. I ended up exchanging it for a different conditioner, which they shipped for free

Thanks, I am going to contact them and return my bottle. I really hope the don't change the climate control, it is my HG. I don't want to have to begin the search again. I am going to purchase either The RC or the Curlisto leave in asap.
    3b, fine, high porosity.
    At least Ouidad will let you return it if you hate it. I disliked one of their conditioners that I tried, and emailed them about it. They let me return it. I just had to pay for the return shipping. I ended up exchanging it for a different conditioner, which they shipped for free

Thanks, I am going to contact them and return my bottle. I really hope the don't change the climate control, it is my HG. I don't want to have to begin the search again. I am going to purchase either The RC or the Curlisto leave in asap.

I asked about the CC gel, and they told me that there aren't any plans to change it at this point.
    They do have a 30 day return policy, so that's good.
    If you explain that you thought it was the original formula, maybe they'll reimburse your return shipping?

I believe that the RC spray leave-in is less expensive than the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curlisto-Protein-Boost-p-223.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curlisto-protein-boost]Curlisto Protein Boost[/buylink]. The RC shipping is pretty low too. It's one set amount vs. Curlisto that charges more the higher your total is.
    I've never tried the RC spray, but I loved the Robert Craig conditioner. It was a little expensive, but it came in a large bottle and it lasted forever. I would definitely trust their products.
    I've never tried the RC spray, but I loved the Robert Craig conditioner. It was a little expensive, but it came in a large bottle and it lasted forever. I would definitely trust their products.

I really like the RC conditioner too.
    I've also tried the hair color. It's very gentle for permanent color. I did have trouble getting it to thoroughly cover grays, but I know many people have had excellent results with RC color.
  • curlsgirlbrazilcurlsgirlbrazil Posts: 234Registered Users
    bump
    :thumright::love1:
    3b/a

I like my microfiber towel and plopping

http://clubedoscachos.blogspot.com/
    No comb,blow-fried, sulfates,silicones detangle Only the [/SIZE]fingers!!
  • nimbex.nimbex. Posts: 38Registered Users
    FYI...I ordered a bottle of the DT from HSN last week as the ingredients on the website look the same as my old bottle, and when I recieved it appears that the ingredients are still the same. So at least for now HSN must be selling the old formula. I rushed to buy it when I heard they were changing the formula as I love it. I haven't tried out the new bottle yet, but the ingredients are identical to the old...
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    I just got my BB and a boatload of CC. I've had NO problems with the BB. I haven't checked the ingredients but the smell is the same and really my hair hasn't been happier since I re-ordered. Love the stuff!
  • laurabeth33laurabeth33 Posts: 1,443Registered Users
    Ouidad's site says they're going to have a packaging change this summer. There's a pic of the new bottles at the top of the webpage, and some of the individual bottles have changed.

Has anyone noticed any other formula changes (I have the DT, BB, Tress FX, serum, and Clear & Gentle Poo's changes so far)?
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek
  • WiggilyhairWiggilyhair Curl Connoisseur Posts: 780Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    So glad I searched and found this thread. She's on HSN today. I was going to order the "frizz kit" she was selling (Climate Control, Deep Treatment and Botanical Boost). Happy to not have wasted $.
    I have sadly given up on Ouidad BB b/c of the changes. I have heard that RC and Curlisto (protein boost?) have the same ingredients. Has anyone tried both? Is one better than the other? Are they exactly the same?
    3b, fine, high porosity.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file