Suave Natural Shampoo?? Good for curls?

natalia6181natalia6181 Posts: 4Registered Users
Hi! Im new here and i have just discovered that i have been killing my curls due to the shampoo. I was wondering if suave's natural shampoo is gentle enough?? And what are some good shampoos for curls?

Thank you! :)
Natalia

Comments

• CurlyCaraCurlyCara Posts: 399Registered Users
    Most of us dont us shampoos. We dont use any sulfates and suave naturals shampoo has major sulfates unfortunately.

Also people use a lowpoo which has surfectants, which is a milder sulfate. People only use these to prevent buildup of things like silicones.

Last but certainly not least you can use a no-poo which helps remove builup as cowashing does not do that, it reoves natural buildup, and helpes naturally cleanse.

I know alot of people love Kathymack's soap bars, which you can find by searching kathymack under the member list, and then going to her fotki. I plan on actually buying some soon. Hope that helps some.
    CG Since : 03/15/09
    3A, fine, low porosity
    My Curr. Faves:
    Cleansers: Daisy Fuentes C&W
    Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm, GPB, LVPNG
    Stylers: LVPNG, BRHG, KCCC, GVP CB
    updated 04/29/2009
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CurlyCara wrote: »
    Most of us dont us shampoos. We dont use any sulfates and suave naturals shampoo has major sulfates unfortunately.

Also people use a lowpoo which has surfectants, which is a milder sulfate. People only use these to prevent buildup of things like silicones.

Last but certainly not least you can use a no-poo which helps remove builup as cowashing does not do that, it reoves natural buildup, and helpes naturally cleanse.

I know alot of people love Kathymack's soap bars, which you can find by searching kathymack under the member list, and then going to her fotki. I plan on actually buying some soon. Hope that helps some.

Yes, every Suave shampoo I've looked at does contain sulfates. Actually, a lot of us do shampoo, just not with sulfates, so we consider ourselves modified CG. We use shampoos that use coco betaine or other milder surfactants. My favorite is Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo.

Co-washing and no-pooing are essentially the same thing - you're just paying more for a product labeled as a no-poo. Neither do too much to remove build-up. Ironically, Suave conditioners are some of the favorites for co-washing (conditioner washing) because they're silicone-free and inexpensive.

Recently, a lot are using natural shampoo bars, and, yes, Kathymack offers samples of several. You need to always do a vinegar rinse after using most of them to be sure to smooth the cuticle back down.

If you find you're getting some buildup, you'll need to either wash with a sulfate-free shampoo (will usually contain a milder surfactant such as coco betaine, which will remove build-up unless you've been using a lot of non-water soluble 'cones) or doing baking soda and ACV rinses (separately unless you want a volcano head, LOL!). If you've really been piling on the bad 'cones, you may even need to wash with sulfates to be really sure you're rid of them and then go back to your CG or modified CG routine.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file