Dark-skinned women, which sunscreen do you use?

PrettyMedusaPrettyMedusa Registered Users Posts: 619
I prefer UVA/UVB coverage mineral sunscreens (zinc and titanium), but no matter how smoothly they go on my face, I always seem to get a white residue. I guess this wouldn't matter if I were fair-skinned, but uh, as you can see...do dark-skinned women have any recommendations on good full-coverage sunscreen that won't make me look like I'm wearing makeup several shades too light?
Fine, porous 3a with some 3b...
Co-wash: Suave Tropicals Coconut Conditioner (with shampoo bars 2x a month) Rinse-out: L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss Leave-in: Lustrasilk Styling: CK, Pink Boots, KCCC, AOMM, HESMU, BRHG, CJ Aloe Fix Gel Post-Styling: Apply product to wet hair, scrunch out water with Curls Like Us, diffuse for 5-7 minutes Treatments: Vatika coconut oil, Kama Brahmi oil

Comments

• luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    i used to use neutrogena oil free but i recently switched to the aveeno positively radiant both work well but i like the aveeno a lot.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • babyschloebabyschloe Registered Users Posts: 18
    I use DDF Organic Sunscreen with SPF30 which is sold at Sephora for about $32. It has full range coverage (UVA & UVB). I'm South Asian and I find it works quite well with my darker skin tone. I just keep blending the sunscreen to prevent a gray overcast.

I read on another beauty forum that Ambi brand of cosmetics makes a sunscreen that is formulated for darker skin tones. But I've never tried it, so I can't give any advice...sorry!
    Trying to figure it all out again.

3a/3b. Med/coarse texture. Low porosity.

Protein sensitive and extremely dry.
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Registered Users Posts: 4,162 Curl Connoisseur
    Peter Thomas Roth oil free sunblock spf 30....its a clear gel that goes on really smooth and works GREAT. I use that on my face a lot in the summer when I don't really need a "moisturizer".

I also use a moisturizer by Boscia...it is the first moisturizer w/ sunblock that I've used that doesn't leave that white residue behind. Its is all natural and preservative free. The only down side is that its sorta pricy....1oz is $27. But, that 1 oz has lasted me for almost 2 months (but my skin is oily so I don't need much).
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • E.B.E.B. Registered Users Posts: 158
    I use Neutrogena UltraSheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 45. I use it because it received the highest rating of all of the sunscreens that Consumer Reports tested (they tested 19 sunscreens). It has the highest overall score and it's only 1 of 2 that's rated "excellent" (the other is La Roche-Posay Anthelios SX SPF 15) for UVA and UVB protection.
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Registered Users Posts: 2,607 Curl Neophyte
    i make my own by mixing raw shea butter(moisture),titanium dioxide (absorbs uv rays), and lavender oil(mosquitos).

not sure how effective it is or what number spf it is equivalent too but it doesn't irritate my skiin.
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • SmallFrySmallFry Registered Users Posts: 614
    I'm using Neutrogena UltraSheer Dry-Touch SPF 85. I like it, works well. Not greasy/shiney at all. I needed something heavyduty to combat this Texas sunshine!
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
    Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have
  • breezybabybreezybaby Registered Users Posts: 347
    Banana Boat Botanics
    3a/3b/3c hair all on one head :thumright:

public.fotki.com/breezybaby
    youtube.com/joyfulbree

Staples (used in many ways):
    Coconut milk
    Castor oil
    Coconut oil
    Honey
    Shea butter
  • KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Registered Users Posts: 714
    Aveeno Ultra-Calming SPF 15.
    My Bare Minerals foundation also has an SPF 15.
    (Does that make them SPF 30? :rolleyes:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
  • OliviaRoseOliviaRose Registered Users Posts: 83
    Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer with SPF 30.

Good Luck in finding one :)
  • KatiecurlKatiecurl Registered Users Posts: 236
    Although I am white as white can be, Neutrogena just released a mineral sunscreen (with both Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide) that is SPF 60 and is made for people with sensitive skin. I've tried several other mineral sunscreens and this one by far leaves the least amount of white residue... I really love it. Maybe you can try a little on at the store... I've had mine for about two months now and can't remember if it had a seal on the cap or not!
    2a/b. I love AOHR!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file