Where to get henna?

qimissungqimissung Posts: 211Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I have been thinking of using henna on my hair, where is a good place to find it?:dontknow:
Fine cherub curls. LUS brand user. That's all I need!

Comments

• MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    hennaforhair.com :)
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • qimissungqimissung Posts: 211Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks, what about Henna by Cynthia, I just checked hers and it's only henna, no salts, metals etc. and organic. What so you recommend as a mix?
  • Eilis19Eilis19 Posts: 44Registered Users
    I buy the boxes of body henna you can get at some specialty shops or even hottopic. If you can find an Indian Bazaar they'd have great henna too. Just make sure you don't get henna from Pakistan. Not only is it the lowest quality henna, but most of the violence coming from Iraq /Afghanistan are Palestinians/Iranians. Not trying to start a debate, just trying to explain why I support boycotting thier goods.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Waiting for the day when the man who wears the combat boots at the foot of my bed comes home.

• morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    Ummm.... that's not a good reason to boycott it. Pakistan is next to India. It's not part of Palestine (aka Israel) or Iran. Boycotting it because it's low quality or because of their record on women's rights, now that's another story.

Then again, I don't buy many products from India either because I refuse to support an economy that still practices slavery.
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've purchase many times from Henna for Hair, but this last time I bought cassia and rajasthani henna from Henna Sooq. It was cheaper in the long run, and shipping from Canada didn't cost too much or take too long. I lurrrve the raj henna, btw!
    Well I used the stuff I ordered and for a first time I like it , I think I'll try your idea next time when I'm brave enough to go redder. Thanks so much!!!
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    Join us.... you know you wanna.... besides if we can get 3 red heads within 50 feet of each other, the universe becomes unstable :)
    I used the Cynthia stuff and it's more brown than I wanted, I did order the red/gold kit from henna sooq, how soon would be safe to henna again and would it make the color more of a red/gold? or too dark?
    You can henna as many times as you want :) That's the joy of it, since it's technically pretty good for your hair.

Keep in mind though, the color will probably change slightly in the first 2-3 days after you henna. Maybe wait and see what it goes to, just in case you end up liking it :) Generally speaking, the colors get richer/slightly darker and the reds go from a brighter orange to more of a red as it oxidizes.
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    It's been 4 days and it's still less red/gold than I like, more mousey. Would doing a henna/cassia mix help that?
    Yeah, it should brighten the color up some. Unless your hair's super light, the cassia for the most part would just be to keep the red from going so dark. I use a 1/4 cassia mix because my hair's naturally a strawberry blond and I didn't want ronald mcdonald hair :P It kind of just cuts down on the boldness of the red.
    I'm waiting on my henna shipment and the stuff I got from Henna by Cynthia has already started to fade from my hair. That was a waste of money!
    Oy, that sucks :/ I went 6 months with little to no fading before I ended up doing a whole head henna (I had just been doing the roots as they grew in). Definitely check out the stuff at hennaforhair.com, see if it lasts a little better for you.

What color's your hair to begin with?
  • gloomgoddess8gloomgoddess8 Posts: 2Registered Users
    I am not sure what state you live in, but if there is a Lush store where you live, I would recommend using their henna products. Their store associates are wonderful, at least in AZ, so they should be able to help you choose which would be best for you. If you don't have a store where you live, you can order online from lush.com. It's an amazing place, have a look around. I recommend all of their products (hair, face, body, bath, shower). Check it out!
    My natural color is a dishwater blonde with some reddish tone.
    eeeeeh... I love Lush. Absolutely adore it. But i don't think I'd ever use their henna. Every person I've heard talk about it, that's used a straight BAQ henna as well, has said the application process is a nightmare and the color doesn't turn out nearly as vibrant nor last nearly as long as just BAQ henna powder.

I can't say for certain, as i've never used it, but I've yet to heard a GOOD review for the Lush hennas from someone who's done both.

ETA: Oh, and OP... If your hair's that light (sounds a lot like my natural color) that henna should be taking a lot better than what you said. I leave mine on for a fraction of the time that most people do and it turns out really vibrant and hasn't faded.
    I got the henna sooq henna and cassia. I mixed a small amount half and half and strand tested, it is a nice color and is darkening(not so super bright) nicely. I will be mixing tonight and doing it tommorow. It's the Raja henna. Wish me luck, my fiance wanted me to go blonder.
    Good luck!!!

I bet once he sees it he'll be in love with it :) My BF adores my color (had to break his heart on our first date and tell him it wasn't natural lol), I'm sure yours will too :)
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Good luck!!! I used the Henna Sooq raj with just a bit of cassia this last time, and I love it! I hope you do, too, and please post pictures :).
    It's on my hair right now, my color uptake is usually good, how long do you leave yours in?
    Hour and a half, 2 hours tops. My hair takes it really well too, and I'm terrified of it getting too bright. the 1-2 hour timeframe seems to be best for me :)
    Well I did it, I had to keep telling myself that it will tone down. I'm sure everyone in by bellydance class will notice it. I'll let everyone know how my F liked it. I will post a picture in a couple.
    One other thing, I haven't lost any curl and it's super soft!!
    Not dry at all, and I used only lemon juice!
    I did the henna/cassia and my F liked it!! I changed my profile pic to my new hair.:wav:
    Here are the new hairs!! These are 3 days post henna.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file