Caribbean Vacation Hair

liltexxyliltexxy Posts: 2Registered Users
I am going on vacation in the British Virgin Islands where I will be living on a catamaran for a week. I want low maintenance hair but I also want to care for it, avoid a tangled mess and of course...look good. Any style or care tips??

Thanks,
D

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh you are so lucky! My hair always goes to sh-t when sailing. Plus you'll probably hit the water after each leg. Bring lots of conditioner and make sea water your friend.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • pulchri2dinouspulchri2dinous Posts: 1,014Registered Users
    Oh you are so lucky! My hair always goes to sh-t when sailing. Plus you'll probably hit the water after each leg. Bring lots of conditioner and make sea water your friend.

What do you mean by that?
    4, fine, low-medium density, low porosity

event.png

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius
  • CurlyHead74CurlyHead74 Posts: 113Registered Users
    Sea water is your friend!!! I lived in the Virgin Islands for 3 years, my hair was the healthiest it had ever been. Something about that fresh sea water. I washed my hair in sea water every couple of days. Literally going down to Megan's Bay, and filling up jugs of water....

Have FUN!!!! And visit Foxy's on Jost Van **** if you have a chance, you'll be glad you dd:occasion7:
  • pulchri2dinouspulchri2dinous Posts: 1,014Registered Users
    But doesn't that make salt stay in your hair? :dontknow:
    4, fine, low-medium density, low porosity

event.png

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    But doesn't that make salt stay in your hair? :dontknow:
    Yes, but it's hard to get away from seawater in a boat. Even if you wash in fresh, the water is literally in the air.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • Shea-girl-aloeShea-girl-aloe Posts: 280Registered Users
    Well, the last time I was in the West Indies I had my hair in box braids for most of the trip. That was 11 years ago and I was 10 years old at the time. I'm not sure what I would do with my hair now.

Well, like Suburbanbushbabe said, "Bring lots of conditioner". LOL
    4/b with 4/a kinks at the back of my head. :toothy4:

Keep it kinky, curly, wavy- whatever.
    Just keep it natural and keep it you, from head to toe ^_^ :hippy2: :blob4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=hollyhollyrose&view=videos

Fotki:
    http://public.fotki.com/shea-girl-aloe/
  • liltexxyliltexxy Posts: 2Registered Users
    So I guess the travel size conditioner isn't going to cut-it!! LOL Thanks ya'll.
  • lodylody Posts: 334Registered Users
    For me, salt water makes ti so my hair is UNTOUCHABLE. It will hurt just to put my hand on it, because of how it just completely doesn't "slide" together anymore or something weird. Bring the right kind of hairties to make braids and buns, just in case you turn out to be like me (braids are great, they stay put while swimming and keep your hair from getting all tangled up)
    3a in Paris
    I use:
    Garnier Ultra Doux conditioners
    High in glycerin conditioners
    As much gel as possible
    Testing out flax seed gel
    Plopping, for around 30 minutes
    Pixiecurl drying
    Pineappling

• pilateschickpilateschick Posts: 222Registered Users
    I would probably pack a silk scarf (not just a baseball hat) and a super thick conditioner like AO honeysuckle rose. I would probably have straw hair otherwise!
    modified CG, since January 09
    As I am Coconut Cowash, low poo. Clarify once a month
    RO: Elucence moisture Bal.
    DT: CJ Rehab
    LI: Marie Dean Red Clover honey (in low dews only)
    Jelly/Gelly products: As I am curl enhancing jelly-near HG status
    KCCC- Classic but fickle

HGs: Aloe Fix alone or over Boots Curl Cream

PJ cabinet full of failed combos
  • Rubber BiscuitRubber Biscuit Posts: 1,294Registered Users
    I just spent the winter in Puerto Rico and my hair was awesome down there! Use lots of condish & some sort of oil. I put a lot of coconut oil on my hair everyday. When I went to the beach, the salt water made my hair very curly (which I loved!) but a little fuzzy so I put FOTE in my hair as soon as I got out of the water. It had just enough hold to keep my hair from looking too fuzzy and just enough moisture to counteract the drying properties of the salt water. HTH! Have fun!
    - Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
    - Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.
  • KinkyKeeperKinkyKeeper Posts: 963Registered Users
    I went to the Bahamas and I wore some cornrows and a curly weave. I went swimming in the ocean with that weave and the curly hair seemed to thrive mus longer than most of my weave did so even though it was just a weave my experience seems to correspond with what everyone is saying about sea water and curly hair going great together.

Just bring some shampoo and hair ties. I didn't even need conditioner to keep the curly hair looking good.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file