My ends are breaking! HELP!

avaanstaravaanstar Posts: 171Registered Users Curl Neophyte
My ends are breaking so much! I know my ends are damaged because i have SO many split ends and my ends are falling like rain.

I am getting a hair trim this weekend. If i cut off all my bad ends and start taking care of my hair, will this be the last of those breaking ends?

Thanks in advance,

AVAANSTAR

Comments

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    getting rid of those ends will help your hair if you start taking care of it better/differently. what are you using now and what is your routine?
  • CaleilaniCaleilani Posts: 728Registered Users
    In TIA with Subbrock.Do you know what caused the damage?
    3B-3C, alittle past tailbone length,age:41 years
  • avaanstaravaanstar Posts: 171Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    subbrock wrote: »
    getting rid of those ends will help your hair if you start taking care of it better/differently. what are you using now and what is your routine?

The reason why my hair was so damaged was because I never took care of it until recently. I did many things wrong my whole life to my hair: 1. I combed my hair dry, 2. I never put any moisturizer in it except water (ha!), 3. I was a wild sleeper and never wore a satin hair bonnet 4. I got braids with synthetic hair and it severly damaged my hair...

But my routine now is:
    -comb hair once a week with conditioner after shampooing it. Then put in deep conditioner and rinse.
    -i put in Olive Oil's intensive moisturizing stuff
    -I always wrap my head

yup. :]
    anything I need to improve on?
  • gabbiegabbie Posts: 16Registered Users
    avaanstar wrote: »

The reason why my hair was so damaged was because I never took care of it until recently. I did many things wrong my whole life to my hair: 1. I combed my hair dry, 2. I never put any moisturizer in it except water (ha!), 3. I was a wild sleeper and never wore a satin hair bonnet 4. I got braids with synthetic hair and it severly damaged my hair...

But my routine now is:
    -comb hair once a week with conditioner after shampooing it. Then put in deep conditioner and rinse.
    -I always wrap my head

hiya..im having some breakage issues as well ..might not be the best person to give u advice lol...u mentioned that u wrap ur hair..i just wanted to know if u are relaxed? because i know when u are relaxed and keep wrapping ur hair in the same direction all the time, your hair can break
    gabbie wrote: »

But my routine now is:
    -I always wrap my head

hiya..im having some breakage issues as well ..might not be the best person to give u advice lol...u mentioned that u wrap ur hair..i just wanted to know if u are relaxed? because i know when u are relaxed and keep wrapping ur hair in the same direction all the time, your hair can break

lol, i hate breakage! But no, I'm not relaxed. Are you relaxed?
    i think maybe youre having moisture issues. it looks/sounds like we have similar hair and if i dont use really moisturizing products and toss in a protein treatment once in a while, my hair breaks and splits alot too.
    i can only use very rich moisturizing conditioners (im in love with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]elucence mb conditioner[/buylink]) and i use that as a leave in combined with a bit of oil. and on top of that ive been adding a bit of shea butter. i really try to concentrate the shea butter on my edges and ends to help protect them. and when i do a dt i use heavy rich moisturizing dts as well. the one im using at the moment is mop extreme moisture. i give my dt's an extra boost by warming honey, olive oil,and veggie glycerine then mixing in the dt. while its still warm i put it on my hair (wet or dry) throw on a plastic cap and leave it on for at least an hour. and i dt no less than once a week because my hair is so thirsty. i have to do protein treatments as well because my hair is very fine. it definitely makea a huge difference for me.
    and sleeping on a satin pillowcase changed my life as well.
    if i dont wet my hair daily (which i hate doing anyway) i still moisturize/protect it with something. shea butter has been my go to for a few months now.
  • legette68legette68 Posts: 216Registered Users
    I have issues with dryness too. Subbrock, where do you get your sheabutter?
    Thick, coarse 3C hair:coffee:
    BC Feb 2009/ relaxer free since 06/08
    Second time around!

http://public.fotki.com/legette68
    i get it from a local co-op that sells natural products.
  • CheesyToastCheesyToast Posts: 153Registered Users
    Avaanstar, you hair is very pretty.

I only recently figured out how to take care of my hair too. I would say definatly cut of the splits...otherwise they could get worse, and make it a goal to baby them, seal them with oils and make sure they are untangled. I have been wearing protective styles like twist, and it helps keep my ends healthy.

I have only seen 5 splits on my search and destroys now.

Also have you tried the L.O.I.S typing system, it could help you find what your hair needs.
    OS
    Fine/Medium
    High sheen
    Spongy
    Normal porousity
    Healthy CBL unstretched Dec 2009
    And APL unstretched August 2010
    Fotki updated June 14th 09
    i think maybe youre having moisture issues. it looks/sounds like we have similar hair and if i dont use really moisturizing products and toss in a protein treatment once in a while, my hair breaks and splits alot too.
    i can only use very rich moisturizing conditioners (im in love with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]elucence mb conditioner[/buylink]) and i use that as a leave in combined with a bit of oil. and on top of that ive been adding a bit of shea butter. i really try to concentrate the shea butter on my edges and ends to help protect them. and when i do a dt i use heavy rich moisturizing dts as well. the one im using at the moment is mop extreme moisture. i give my dt's an extra boost by warming honey, olive oil,and veggie glycerine then mixing in the dt. while its still warm i put it on my hair (wet or dry) throw on a plastic cap and leave it on for at least an hour. and i dt no less than once a week because my hair is so thirsty. i have to do protein treatments as well because my hair is very fine. it definitely makea a huge difference for me.
    and sleeping on a satin pillowcase changed my life as well.
    if i dont wet my hair daily (which i hate doing anyway) i still moisturize/protect it with something. shea butter has been my go to for a few months now.

Do you think my routine is enough moisturizing?

MY ROUTINE
    Avaanstar, you hair is very pretty.

I only recently figured out how to take care of my hair too. I would say definatly cut of the splits...otherwise they could get worse, and make it a goal to baby them, seal them with oils and make sure they are untangled. I have been wearing protective styles like twist, and it helps keep my ends healthy.

I have only seen 5 splits on my search and destroys now.

Also have you tried the L.O.I.S typing system, it could help you find what your hair needs.

thanks! and good idea!
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

MY ROUTINE

I don't think its so much the rountine as it is your products. You never specified what shampoo and conditioner you use. They probably aren't mositurizing enough. You should use a leave-in conditioner too.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL

MY ROUTINE

I don't think its so much the rountine as it is your products. You never specified what shampoo and conditioner you use. They probably aren't mositurizing enough. You should use a leave-in conditioner too.

:]
    I use pantene for women of color both shampoo and conditioner. I use cholestoral deep condition once a week and i leave it in for 50 minutes. What kinds of leave-in conditioners do you recommend?
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

MY ROUTINE

:]
    I use pantene for women of color both shampoo and conditioner. I use cholestoral deep condition once a week and i leave it in for 50 minutes. What kinds of leave-in conditioners do you recommend?

I would start with Giovanni Direct leave-in. It detangles real well. Walmart and Target both have this line. I also like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink] & [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence MBC[/buylink] too.

Is the Olive Oil stuff your using the Organic Root Stimulator? This may not give you the lasting moisture you need. Try going to a beauty supply store and experiment with creams or moisture sprays.

ETA: Here's a thread link discussing mositurizers. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?p=916333#post916333
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
    like afrosheenqueen said, i dont its so much the routine but the products.
    im a huge fan of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]elucence mb conditioner[/buylink] because my hair is so thirsty. giovanni direct and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]knot today[/buylink] did nothing for my hair. neither were heavy enough. ive heard good things about sheamoisture leave in. and kenra moisturizing conditioner works well in my hair too. the salons in walmart sell kenra.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file