Another twist out gone bad story

MsZareeMsZaree Registered Users Posts: 36
So I attempted to do a flat twist out. I co-washed my hair last night as usual with TJ Nourish added my Giovani Leave In, sealed the ends with Shea and began my twisting. Now I have never been a diy hair type of girl. I just perfected doing a simple 3 strand braided plait for me braid out (and I'm still not all that good). So doing a flat twist was a bit of a stretch for me but I had watched some videos and was feeling empowered. Plus I'm tired of the 1 1/2 hours it takes me to braid my hair for braid outs. It took me much longer than I wanted it to but was still less than braiding. I felt like I wasn't close enough to my scalp and the twists were to loose.

When I took the twists down this morning my hair was a hot mess! The twist pattern was uneven and not holding. The new growth was puffy and stiff. I looked like I don't even know. Luckily for me my sons were sick & I ended up staying home with them I'm not sure if I would have been able to salvage my hair in time for work.

I'm open to trying again, but never when I have to go some where the next day. I am looking for tips on how to improve. Does twisting the hair in plaits work better? Luckily there are no pictures to document the embaressment that was my hair this morning. I've since pulled back into a pony tail. I'm doing my standard braid out tonight.
Last touch up: May 1, 2008
BC: May 24, 2009

Comments

• mamato2mamato2 Registered Users Posts: 34
    You might try first braiding the hair at the root first, for about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch, then twisting the rest down to the ends. I can't remember where I read that, but I did it with my daughter's hair and that seemed to take care of the puffiness.

Good luck!

:angel11: How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong -- because someday you will have been all of these.
    --George Washington Carver
  • niclarniclar Registered Users Posts: 110
    when i was transitioning i couldnt do twist outs at all..my relaxed hair never held the twist shape and the two textures were super obvious. Thats probly not what you wanted to hear ..I'd suggest instead of doing a flat twist out you try doing individual twists with rollers on the end for curl. Thats how I did my braid outs when i transtioned...HTH
    http://public.fotki.com/nicolelarri/2008/

PW: lovely
    Natural 4a/some 4b type hair, Thin, cottony coffee straw coils

Thought I found my HG (KKCC)..its good but Im sure there's better:wink:

Curls Milkshake current leave in, Fantasia IC w/Olive Oil gel for smoothing/shine, Curls Goddess Glaze for Twist/Braid outs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file