Experiencing SERIOUS hair breakage

gabbiegabbie Posts: 16Registered Users
hi everyone,
im new to this board and i am in need of some help puh-leeeeeze!!... I saw a post on protein sensitivity where it was said that u can lose curl definition with either too much protein or too much moisture. I have been experiencing ALOT of breakage lately and noticed that some of my ends (like the last 1/4 of my hair has lost curl definition). I thought that i needed protein and did a treatment with avocado, egg, yogurt and oil...but that didnt help...then i deep conditioned with pantene natural and relaxed mask..that didnt work either:sad:...then yesterday i tried yogurt again with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]jessicurl weekly deep conditioner[/buylink] and some oil...then after i rinsed it out, i added lustrasilk shea cholesterol for like 5 minutes and rinsed out. My hair felt quite hard..not soft at all and was still breaking in some places with the same loss of curl definition that i had observed before. I also noticed that the moisturisers i put on my hair were not giving me much slip..my hair felt strange. I will add that im a natural 3c and that i usually deep condition every week as I am currently in england. I also try not to wear my hair out often keeping it in buns mostly. I am guilty of sometimes putting it in a bun while its wet...so could this possibly be a reason why it its breaking or am I experiencing protein overload? Please help!! can you recommend some products that will possibly get me back on track...this is really depressing as Ive been trying to grow my hair and dont want to have to cut it. thanks so much, i really appreciate your response.

ps. before the last treatment, i had clarified my hair using some v05 conditioner and baking soda.

Comments

• gabbiegabbie Posts: 16Registered Users
    pleaseee help me:sad3:
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Don't worry-soon you'll begin to receive plenty of advice from others. When that happens, pick the ones that you feel could remedy your problem. Here are my suggestions, if you feel that you would like to try them:

1. Hot oil treatment prior to shampoo or cowash.

2. Deep Condition afterwards, or combine the hot oil treatment with the deep conditioner. Some people have posted that putting honey in the conditioner helps as well. Deep condition your hair once a week until the breakage stops, then perhaps twice a month.

3. Make sure that your hair is dry before styling.

4. Make sure that you moisturize after a protein treatment. It may take a few days before your hair becomes soft. You also may have to moisturize at night as well as in the morning. I'm sure some members of CurlTalk will post to give you advice on the signs of being "protein sensitive."

5. Take a break from the bun for a while or any hairstyle that stresses your hair perimeter (edges). Try wearing protective hairstyles that do not expose the ends of your hair.
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    great curls gae you some really good tips. i wouldnt jump to blaming protein sensitivity quite yet because the protein treatment that you do use isnt really protein heavy at all. also, you usually dontexperience breakge after the first time of use either.
    what products do you use? what is your usual routine? when did you last have a trim? how does yor hair feel on a regular basis, do you have any dryness issues?
    hiya,
    thanks so much for your response...the hot oil treatment sounds good..usually people just add oil to their dirty hair dont they? i dont find that this works for me...as i use quite a bit of product to smooth down my edges..i usually have to shampoo before i do a oil treatment...is that alright?

i havent actually done an oil treatment in a really long time so i will try it...thanks again xx
    subbrock wrote: »
    great curls gae you some really good tips. i wouldnt jump to blaming protein sensitivity quite yet because the protein treatment that you do use isnt really protein heavy at all. also, you usually dontexperience breakge after the first time of use either.
    what products do you use? what is your usual routine? when did you last have a trim? how does yor hair feel on a regular basis, do you have any dryness issues?

thank you for replying...:bom: i have a gut feeling that i may be protein sensitive because i even tried the aphogee treatment and was still getting breakage..i also realised that after a while of using products with wheat protein, my hair was getting mre and more dry even though my hair is generally dry to begin with....ive been deep conditioning every week using different products like pantene relaxed and natural mask and queen helene cholesterol..recently i tried the following products:

lustrasilk shea cholesterol, shecentit banana conditioner, alter ego garlic conditioner and neutrogena triple moisture mask

most of these contain some more of protein so i think that might have caused a problem as well?

ive also been trying to finger comb my hair instead of using this comb but i seem to get more breakage so perhaps im not doing it right:dontknow::dontknow:

on a normal basis my hair feels dry....without any product on it and some of the ends look frazzled and have lost curl definition...

i had a trim about 2 weeks ago..

any ideas please? and thanks again for ur response:happy7:
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Are your hair strands naturally on the thick side? It sounds like maybe your hair needs more moisture than protein. It may not be a protein sensitivity as much as your hair doens't need as much protein as you have been giving it. Try products that moisturize instead of strengthen and reconstruct.

My strands tend to be medium/normal to coarse. The only time that I've ever used protein treatments successfully is when my hair was extremely damaged from coloring and straightening. After my hair returned to normal, the protein treatments made my hair brittle.

Is this breakage a sudden thing? Or has your hair always been damaged? Do you flat iron on a regular basis? Do you eat enough protein, drink enough water and get enough sleep? If you're fairly healthy and don't abuse your hair by using harsh shampoos and combing/brushing your hair when it's dry, you might just need more moisture and less protein.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
    Are your hair strands naturally on the thick side? It sounds like maybe your hair needs more moisture than protein. It may not be a protein sensitivity as much as your hair doens't need as much protein as you have been giving it. Try products that moisturize instead of strengthen and reconstruct.

My strands tend to be medium/normal to coarse. The only time that I've ever used protein treatments successfully is when my hair was extremely damaged from coloring and straightening. After my hair returned to normal, the protein treatments made my hair brittle.

Is this breakage a sudden thing? Or has your hair always been damaged? Do you flat iron on a regular basis? Do you eat enough protein, drink enough water and get enough sleep? If you're fairly healthy and don't abuse your hair by using harsh shampoos and combing/brushing your hair when it's dry, you might just need more moisture and less protein.

Hiya Multicult,
    The breakage has progressively gotten worse...i noticed less curl definition the more i used protein products...because i really thought that lack of protein was my problem. i dont flat iron regularly nor do i use harsh shampoos...i only comb my hair when its wet and/or with conditioner...i also try to eat healthy as much as i can...i do drink quite a bit of water as well...i have really have been trying to do everything right...can u recommend some good moisturising products i can find n the drug store...preferrably with some hair friendly ingredients please? thanks so much for ur response...and yea i do agree that it seems like i need more moisture

oh i forgot to add that my strands are a combo of fine and medium like yours! x

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file