overwhelmed

blueskyslisablueskyslisa Registered Users Posts: 16
I just came accross this site and wow alot of information, and alot of things im not sure about. First of all, I think I'm a 2c on good days. I have been told serveral of times by serveral of hair dressers to style my hair curly. However no one has ever told me how to this. I've always straightned my hair of put it in a pony tail because my hair is very thick and very frizzy if left undone. I've tried a few times to style curly. The problem I have is what the heck product do I buy? I dont want to by 100 different products and none of them work real well and left with a pile of useless products. I'm using Joico K Pak reconstruct shampoo and conditoner and yes ive always washed my hair just about every day untill i just found out its horrible for your hair (will start tomorrow on not washing often). As for styling I pat my hair dry put a squirt of Bed Head Foxy Curls Contour Cream in a bit of Aloe Vera Gel split my hair up and curl it with my fingers so it gets slightly nicer curls. I'm sure I've done everything all wrong but can someone please help me, at least with where to start. Im already overwhelmed :( oh yes I live in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada and their surly is not very many stores to buy hair products at, We have walmart and a new chatters just opened up!

Comments

• Jess the MessJess the Mess Registered Users Posts: 5,844 Curl Neophyte
    It can be VERY overwhelming when you first start reading the boards here. Hopefully I can help a bit. Here is a link to Laura Lee's giude to going CG . In it are explanations for what CG is, why it works, and how to start.

As far as products go it's easy to start cheap. Suave Naturals or VO5 to co-wash, Loreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss for long curly/wavy hair in the pink bottle for conditioner. You can use your co-wash as a leave-in. As far as gel all the Herbal Essences gels are CG and you can keep your aloe vera in your routine. Those products are a good place to start.

As far as techniques search the boards for clipping, plopping, scrunching, diffusing. Stop using a terrycloth towel. Switch to microfiber, a t-shirt, or a curl towel. And keep reading, you'll get the hang of it. I hope this helps :happy7:
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• blueskyslisablueskyslisa Registered Users Posts: 16
    Wow thanks so much for that website...that pretty much summed all my question up in one reading. one question? What is a good brand of shampoo with no sulfate or low sulfate in? can i purchase it at walmart or chatters or something like that?
    I did a quick search in the going shampoo-less board and found these two Suave Daily Clarifying and Herbal Essences Drama Clean. The key is to get one with sulfates (sls) and without silicones to do your final sulfate wash to get rid of any cones in your hair before you start CG. Most people use that shampoo and then do their first co-wash. If you still feel like you can't go completely poo-less after starting CG there is Giovanni Triple Tea Tree. I believe Giovanni is in Wal-Mart now but not in the hair section, in the specialty natural section w/Burts Bees and stuff. I also find my Giovanni in Rite-Aid.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Just wanted to say I went to walmart and alot of people have stated they used L Oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss for medium to long curly wavy hair (baby pink bottle) After i looked at the ingredients it has a cone in it! I'm sure i read it over and over. So is their two different kinds or something? Or is it different from the states then in canada? I never did buy it just thought i would mention it.
  • k_vssyk_vssy Registered Users Posts: 240
    Some people seem to run across bottles of it with the a-cone in it, while others don't. I'm not really sure why, but it's one that's definitely worth reading the bottle before you buy. I don't know if there's a difference between versions in canada and the states. But I do have a bottle with cones in it. It's just one of those strange conditioners that you have to double check before you buy.
    3a
    Currently Using: Suave Coconut, Aldi's Biolage Conditioning Balm knockoff, LOOB, and LA Looks sport gel....cheap and simple seems to be working better!
    ModCG since 10/31/08
    I'm thinking the more reading I do the more I get overwhelmed. I'm just going to run with it... However I think whats getting my mind so crazy is products.

~Co-Wash is using just a conditioner to wash your hair with. Then you use a different conditioner to use as a leave in preferably a light one?

~is it safe to use a DT such a nexxus once a week and use a protien conditioner everyday as your co wash and leave in? or is that just way to much protien? I'm going to buy a DT as all ive ever done was straighten my hair and then go with it after that and see what it does.

~When should u use a ACV wash and how often?

~Suave or Giovanni as a co-wash, and what as a leave in?

~Now for products...Just gel?

~what does AVG do for your hair? and when should you use it in your regime?
    -You've got co-washing right. Most use a light conditioner like Suave Naturals to "wash" with and a thicker one like LVPNG as a rinse out.

-The protein question is tricky. It depends on if your hair is protein sensitive or not and you wont know that until you've been using the products for a little while. I DT once a week and I love it. The key to healthy waves/curls is moisture.

-I ACV once a week. I do it the way Strutt'sWife says to on Live Curly, Live Free. It seems to bring my hair back to life.

-I sometimes use my Suave as a leave-in too. It works for me.

-At first when you start CG you need a clear gel. Add products like curl creams later after you have adjusted and have gotten a routine down. It's just easier that way.

-AVG adds moisture...I guess...I hated it but others love it. Try it mixed with your gel.

HTH

Thanks jess the mess your so good at answering questions I have. As for the co-wash i could use suave naturals as a co wash what do you suggest for a rinse out then? The one you use as a rinse out is not something that you may want to use as a leave in correct? as its going to be thick and may cause build up?

As a leave in what about giovanni? I'm not sure if giovanni has a rinse out though? I was using matrix biolage hydra however I found my hair today to be rather weighted down, and a bit fuzzy but agien this is my first day CG and i know my hair needs to adjust.
    If you like the Giovanni I really like their 50:50 conditioner as a rinse-out and their Direct Leave-In as a leave in. Did you find Giovanni in your Wal-Mart? If you use the Giovanni line I would do it in this order.

Suave to co-wash
    50:50 to rinse out
    Suave condish or Giovanni DLI as a leave-in
    Clear gel (any Herbal Essences will do)

Also scrunch your leave-in and gel in your hair while still soaking wet. I don't touch my hair with my curl towel at all until I have thoroughly scrunched in my products. This video is for [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] but watch the way mysteryflavored really scrunches in her products. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=49541 . It can really help to see how someone else does it. After you have scrunched everything in you might try plopping. Go to this site and scroll down to the video for plunking. http://www.jessicurl.com/Demo-Videos-p-6.html . Plopping can really help start your curl pattern and helps with not having wet hair dripping down your back. Do you air dry or have you tried a diffuser?

And you are right, your hair will adjust and it's all a learning process.

just wanted to come back to my thread about the Loreal vive pro nutri gloss, and their is two bottles of it. they are both baby pink and very close to the same name and ingredients, however the hard bottle has a silicone, the soft bottle (confusing to explain) doesnt have silicones, the soft bottle also states its pearl protein complex where the hard bottle doesnt say this. Alot of places only sell the hard bottle and I did manage to find a place (zellers) that happened to have both :)

Also zellers had alberto VO5 they had the hot hair treamtment, and a few other DT but all of them contained alot of silicones. Ive read the rave reviews on VO5 just wondering if they all have silicones or is it another hit or miss.

And one last thing, I bought Suave strawberry conditioner, and I'm wondering if its different then the coconut one (protien wise) they didnt have the coconut one their as they were on sale for .99 :)
    The VO5 you hear talked about is the VO5 conditioners to co-wash. Glad you found the right LVPNG. I wouldn't worry about protein yet, any Suave naturals will do. Do you need protein?

I dont think we have the same VO5 here in canada as you do in the states. Either way do us CG want to shy away from silicones even if their for co-washing? Oh and I dont know if I need protien or not, Im to new to this CG routine to figure out if im sensitve or not! I just bought a few conditioners one having protien and we will see how it goes. If im protien sensitive what will my hair do? go limp and lifeless or frizz up? or depends? I do know that the herbel essence gel works great :) as for conditioners and protiens and everything else im still testing
    No silicones!!! There are some water soluble ones that are okay but to learn about them and protein you really need to read, read, read. You can do a search on the general discussion forums for all that stuff. And glad you liked the gel :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file