3a with some 2c?? Needs help all around... :(

eclectic7eclectic7 Posts: 22Registered Users
So I've been trying to get as CG as possible, but I simply cannot go 'poo-less... my scalp is just too oily and I get MAJOR nasty build-up/whatever going on... I tried lemon/lime juice in conditioner and vinegar, but to no avail... Sooooo. my first question is, does anyone know of a good sulfate-free shampoo? I've started using Suave Naturals Coconut and Humectant conditioner, switching them around, and they don't seem to weight my hair down too much or leave it greasy or anything, but the shampoo is still an issue...

Also, I used to have waist/hip length hair, and almost four months ago I cut it to my shoulders for Locks Of Love. It's a couple inches past my shoulders now (it grows REALLY fast!), but it's pretty much just cut straight across, so I sometimes have major bell-shaped triangle hair going on. Any recommendations on a cut that would maybe work for some really thick hair with well defined curl that starts maybe two to three inches from the root when left completely raw??? Haha, really, any advice/tips period from people with similar hair would be awesome!
Even a rose in all its beauty, if held with too great a fervor, can become a thorn in the flesh.

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You probably want to get you hair "shaped" and have some long layers put in.

My hair really likes the more natural products. I don't poo, but use natural soap bars every three days. The are much gentler then lowpoo. Some examples of the products are in my signature.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlannahAngelAlannahAngel Posts: 529Registered Users
    You use soap bars? Tell me how, lol I wanna know about this! (Sorry kind of off-topic)
    ~ BIG *sexy* CURLS ~
    ~~~
    Conditioner/Co-wash/Leave-in: Garnier Fructis Nutri Repair/Organic Instinct
    Styler: Garnier Fructis 24-H
    ~~~

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You use soap bars? Tell me how, lol I wanna know about this! (Sorry kind of off-topic)

I'll pm you with something I've sent others.

I forgot, jillipoo interviewed me about the soap bars for the DailyCurl blog. Here's the link:

http://www.dailycurl.com/all-lathered-up-about-soap/
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • linda_mlinda_m Posts: 211Registered Users
    I like baby shampoo. It's important to read the ingredients, though. Some of them have sulfates in them! I use the Albertson's brand, which has exactly the same ingredients as J&J.
    Couple of inches past shoulder length 3A. Shampoo every 3rd or 4th day w/ baby shampoo; Tigi Fashionista conditioner; back to Condition 3-in-1 mousse . Alternate days water rinse, conditioner and mousse.
  • eclectic7eclectic7 Posts: 22Registered Users
    Yeah, I used baby shampoo for a while, and that helps, but it still feels like I'm not getting the results I need. I've been using a friend of mine's homemade soaps as well, I've got one right now with Noni in it (don't have a clue about the stuff...) but I want to get some Goat's Milk Soaps next time, I've never tried those before, but I think I would like them...

Maybe someone can tell me what's actually going on with my scalp, it seems like it's... peeling... the skin just sort of wants to peel off in little flakes if I scratch it, or sometimes if I just run my fingers through it, trying not to scratch... I also have little grainy beads of white, I'm assuming it's buildup from the conditioner/my oily scalp... Any suggestions? The hair stylist my mom uses suggested something like Seabreeze (never heard of it before), which is apparently an acne treatment for your face... she said it helps with the oil on your scalp without being so drying/damaging on hair - she doesn't recommend washing everyday...
    Even a rose in all its beauty, if held with too great a fervor, can become a thorn in the flesh.
  • skeletonkeyskeletonkey Posts: 13Registered Users
    You may want to try "Aveda" brand shampoo. Their products are all natural and have none of that nasty sulfate stuff.
    There are many varieties- but from what you are saying about your scalp issues, you may want to try the "rosemary mint shampoo" because it may balance out the scalp, and it is tingley. Or you could try the "be curly shampoo", or maybe the dry remedy shampoo(it smells great and is very moisturizing to the scalp).
    2c/3a, very porous, very baby fine strands but LOTs of it. More wavy than curly.Trying to grow out my hair into longer bob- going for "flapper elf wispy look".
    still researching products and am trying "no poo"
  • k_vssyk_vssy Posts: 240Registered Users
    If you're having problems with your scalp being itchy, the Giovanni Triple Treat Tea Tree shampoo and conditioner are great. I actually have pretty good results just from cowashing with the conditioner, but I know a lot of people love the shampoo, which is sulfate-free.
    3a
    Currently Using: Suave Coconut, Aldi's Biolage Conditioning Balm knockoff, LOOB, and LA Looks sport gel....cheap and simple seems to be working better!
    ModCG since 10/31/08
    Well, the lady I know who makes the homemade soaps has some with Rosemary and some with Tea Tree oil, so I think I'll grab a bar or two of those and give that a try. Since we're friends, I get a discount most of the time, which is awesome seeing as I'm your typical broke college student! Thanks for the advice!
  • solsistr77solsistr77 Posts: 20Registered Users
    I think Jessicurl's Hair Cleansing Shampoo is sulfate free. I like the product a lot. The only down side, it doesn't foam. I like the foam because it helps me know how much I'm putting in my hair.
    In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God concerning you.
    Here is a picture of my curls when I used it.
    Well, I got my hair coloured and cut today by the lady who does my mom's hair. Super happy with both, by the way - she works wonders, I swear... anyway, she used Bain de Terre (sp??) Passion Flower Color Preserving shampoo on me, and I loved it. It's not drying at all, my scalp and hair feel wonderfully clean and light, but not stripped. I looked and it does have sulfates in it (I know, I know!) but go figure, it's not drying my hair out or creating frizz like I would have expected. I don't know if it's because of the other ingredients or what, but I'm having the best hair day EVER and I didn't do a thing to it! I bought a bottle of the stuff and I think I'm going to use it until it's gone and then see what state my hair's in... I don't use much because it goes a LONG way with just a bit, so this might take a while... :P
    Thanks for the feedback, though!
    eclectic7 wrote: »
    Yeah, I used baby shampoo for a while, and that helps, but it still feels like I'm not getting the results I need. I've been using a friend of mine's homemade soaps as well, I've got one right now with Noni in it (don't have a clue about the stuff...) but I want to get some Goat's Milk Soaps next time, I've never tried those before, but I think I would like them...

Maybe someone can tell me what's actually going on with my scalp, it seems like it's... peeling... the skin just sort of wants to peel off in little flakes if I scratch it, or sometimes if I just run my fingers through it, trying not to scratch... I also have little grainy beads of white, I'm assuming it's buildup from the conditioner/my oily scalp... Any suggestions? The hair stylist my mom uses suggested something like Seabreeze (never heard of it before), which is apparently an acne treatment for your face... she said it helps with the oil on your scalp without being so drying/damaging on hair - she doesn't recommend washing everyday...

yes, I know exactly what you are talking about. I have to wash my hair every 2-3 days or I get "flakes". They aren't dandruff because I went to my dermatologist to be sure. My scalp might itch. Next thing I know, I have these flakes coming down. When I use high quality products, I don't flake as much. I have found [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] and JessiCurl, so far, that don't make my scalp flake as much. A cheaper option may be CatWalk, but after awhile, it builds up on my scalp.

I also recommend getting a malibu treatment once to twice a year. It is something your hairstylist(or any beauty school, it will be a lot cheaper there) can do. It's a treatment that strips the hair and scalp of all oil. Then they do a protein treatment to put the moisture back into the hair. It helps to get rid of product buildup, especially from styling products like hairspray or gels.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file