Experiment...

vanessacatgrrlvanessacatgrrl Posts: 5Registered Users
Hello!
Thank you in advance for your help. I am new to this site. I think I am a 3b but would love any input. I'm just reading about CG and would like to try the no-shampoo method.

I currently use a bad Pantene hydrating curls shampoo and conditioner(sulfate), followed by combing with the conditioner in. I rinse and then squeeze water out of my hair with a bad (terrycloth) towel, finger comb, and apply aveda Confixor (has a silicone product in it) I always drip dry but this can be a little bit of a pain. I have to wash my hair daily because I'm a vet and putting my hair in the hair cover for surgery messes up the curl.

This photo is pretty typical for my end of the day hair. Curls are still there but fading, and a frizzy little aura has occured. My hair is quite dry-I never have oily issues.

So... I am off to buy some new products and need some input. I was going to buy Suave for the co-wash part, but I need a rich conditioner suggestion for afterwards. I am confused by all of your signature line abbreviations, so I could really use some help with this part. I also need a styling product, and I don't want anything that causes crunchiness. I'd prefer straight hair to crunchiness.

Also, I live in Kansas and would prefer not to mail-order products, so major grocery store products would be very helpful. (Whole foods is 2 hours drive.) I will try a microfiber cloth for drying, or would be willing to attempt plopping. My only concern is that if I plop on a t-shirt, it's going to be soaking wet... How does that work exactly?

Finally, I just realized I'm coming off as very inflexible. In truth, I will try anything if you truly think it will help!
Again, thank you so much for the input!

(sorry about the huge picture, I tried to make it smaller, but I'm not terribly computer savvy)

hair3-24-09.jpg

Comments

• vanessacatgrrlvanessacatgrrl Posts: 5Registered Users
    OK, It's day two. Unable to curb my enthusiasm for this project, I went and bought some suave naturals to CO-wash, and followed it with Loreal vive pro nutri gloss conditioner (pink bottle.) I applied confixor (apparently it has water soluble cones), plopped into a t-shirt and went to bed.
    Here are this morning pictures..
    experimentone.jpg
    top.jpg

The curl on the crown looks way curlier than normal, and the curl is tighter than my norm too. However, the bottom already looks a little fly-away and undefined.
    looseatbottom.jpg
    Also, the frizzies are already here. Do I need a better styling product? Deep conditioning?
    I will see how the whole thing matures throughout the day and post again this evening with more pics...
    Thanks for looking!
  • bcwalter9bcwalter9 Posts: 33Registered Users
    I have similar hair, only not as long.
    the products I like that are readily available are:
    co-wash - VO5 moisture milks passion fruit smoothie (it has peach extract, I read in a post that should help with curl clumping)
    condish: back2basics pomagranate (can get in some grocery stores by me, and some drugstores & I think the WalMart salon or at the mall)
    gel: Herbal Essence Set Me Up (comes in spray bottle or gel tube).
    I usually don't plop, cause I get smaller clumps, but when I do, I use a t-shirt. Yes I guess it gets wet, but I use one that's XL & just hang it up to dry & re-use it again. I thought T-shirts gave less frizz than micro-fiber, since its a smoother fabric.
    If I don't plop, I do a quick version of the Curly Hair Institute method, which works good for me.
    HTH.
    try different things, there's all kinds of great ideas posted.
    fine 2b/3a/3b
    current favorites:
    Co-wash: VO5 Moisture Milks Passion Fruits, Freeman's
    Wash: TJ's
    Cond: B2B pomegranate, Giovanni 50/50, TJ's Nourish/Refresh
    Moisturizing: JC TooShea
    Styling: HE set me up, HE Body Envy, DC AnGell, JC CCSS, DC set me up
    Thank you for the ideas. As the day wears on, my definition has fallen apart. I think I will try your gel rec, since the confixor doesn't seem to be enough. I'll post updates soon!
  • bcwalter9bcwalter9 Posts: 33Registered Users
    I just remembered - there's a Herbal Essence gel in an orange tube that I like,too. I think it might be 'body envy' maybe. I have the purple tube also, its called totally twisted, but I haven't tried it yet.
    fine 2b/3a/3b
    current favorites:
    Co-wash: VO5 Moisture Milks Passion Fruits, Freeman's
    Wash: TJ's
    Cond: B2B pomegranate, Giovanni 50/50, TJ's Nourish/Refresh
    Moisturizing: JC TooShea
    Styling: HE set me up, HE Body Envy, DC AnGell, JC CCSS, DC set me up
  • k_vssyk_vssy Posts: 240Registered Users
    I'm not familiar with the styling product you used, but if you started out with good curls and they got frizzy throughout the day I'd think you need to try some gel or other styling product with more hold. I'd have to agree with bcwalter...one of my favorite cheap gels is the Herbal Essences Body Envy.
    3a
    Currently Using: Suave Coconut, Aldi's Biolage Conditioning Balm knockoff, LOOB, and LA Looks sport gel....cheap and simple seems to be working better!
    ModCG since 10/31/08
    Thanks for the help ladies! Well, here is today's attempt.
    hairwithgel2.jpg
    Last night I did a deep condition with grapeseed oil and Co-washed with suave after 20 minutes. The oil made our tub very slippery!
    Today I co-washed with suave, conditioned with L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss, blotted/scrunched with a microfiber, scrunched with Herbal essences purple tube gel and plopped for 20 minutes in a t-shirt.
    I scrunched out the crunch when it was 95% dry.
    I think it is working well and it wasn't too hard! The definition is still falling apart a little in some areas, but perhaps that is due to my general hair health. I have also ordered KC knot and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] products to try them out.

Unfortunately, I just realized I purchase the wrong Loreal product-bought the one with amodimethecone in it. Urghh. I hate wasting such a huge bottle by throwing it out...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file