new with a question about FSG

Hi! New member, and have a question about FSG, which I've been experimenting with for the past couple days, with mixed results.
Anyway. If you make it withOUT a preservative (grapefruit seed extract or citric acid), how long will it keep in the fridge? Also, when it goes bad, how obvious is it---is the smell very distinct, or is there an art to telling it's no longer good?
Thank so much!!
:color: :flower: :color:
p.s. Has anyone else found variation due to seed brand or even water type? The first time I made the gel with well water and trader joe's seeds and got only a few thin, golden tablespoons. Today, I made it with city water and bob's seed and got a shampoo bottle's worth of nearly-clear gel that I had to thin out to strain...? Don't know which is more effective, since i haven't tried the new batch yet.
Again, thanks :color:
3a redhead with some 2 and 3b. seeking healthy, long, shiny spirals on a college budget/schedule!
-growing out pixie since may 07
-CG (w/ low-poos) since jan 09. may have just fallen off the wagon
-condition: every day. hg was samy escencia, but it's no longer in the US :(. renpure body and shine sometimes. trying HEHH with CONES..!
-cowash: occasionally. V05 naturals
-lowpoo: weekly. samy escencia while it lasts
-mousse: HETT. hg!
-playing w/: HE gels, GF wonder wave spray, HE conditioners

Comments

• curlykristencurlykristen Posts: 113Registered Users
    Hi! New member, and have a question about FSG, which I've been experimenting with for the past couple days, with mixed results.
    Anyway. If you make it withOUT a preservative (grapefruit seed extract or citric acid), how long will it keep in the fridge? Also, when it goes bad, how obvious is it---is the smell very distinct, or is there an art to telling it's no longer good?
    Thank so much!!
    :color: :flower: :color:
    p.s. Has anyone else found variation due to seed brand or even water type? The first time I made the gel with well water and trader joe's seeds and got only a few thin, golden tablespoons. Today, I made it with city water and bob's seed and got a shampoo bottle's worth of nearly-clear gel that I had to thin out to strain...? Don't know which is more effective, since i haven't tried the new batch yet.
    Again, thanks :color:

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it should be good for a couple of weeks if you keep it in the fridge. I don't know what happens when it goes bad, b/c that hasn't happened to me.

In terms of the water, I have noticed a HUGE difference in the water I have used to make it. I don't know if it's the water hardness or the pH, but when I use city water, which is very soft with a high pH, it's pretty much useless. When I use distilled water, which is neutral, it works great. You might want to try the distilled water - it's available at pharmacies and places like Target for a little over $1/gallon.:toothy7:HTH!
    Mostly 3A, some 3B/2C fine-med texture/med porosity/low density

wash: alternate co-washing with V05 & soap bars
    Rinse out: Rotate TJ's N&S, AOHR, LVPNG, GVP K-Pak, CJ CA Daily Condish
    ACV rinses 2x/wk (high pH water)
    LI: if I use one, it's usually CJ CALI CJ H&B LI, or GDLI
    Styling: FSG with AVG, AN, hemp seed oil & slippery elm (winter only), KCCC, CJ CCCC, CJ SG, CJ AFG, AOMM & BRHG

Currently experimenting w/DM Miracurls CG & MM
  • pippilongstockingpippilongstocking Posts: 7Registered Users
    Thanks! Crossing my fingers that the city water gel will be as good as it now looks...but if not I'll definitely try that :color:
    3a redhead with some 2 and 3b. seeking healthy, long, shiny spirals on a college budget/schedule!
    -growing out pixie since may 07
    -CG (w/ low-poos) since jan 09. may have just fallen off the wagon
    -condition: every day. hg was samy escencia, but it's no longer in the US :(. renpure body and shine sometimes. trying HEHH with CONES..!
    -cowash: occasionally. V05 naturals
    -lowpoo: weekly. samy escencia while it lasts
    -mousse: HETT. hg!
    -playing w/: HE gels, GF wonder wave spray, HE conditioners
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When I used tap water, the gel was cloudy and got a weird smell, so I always use distilled/purified water now. I freeze the extra, then thaw in the fridge the night before I plan to use it. I don't use preservatives, but if you read all past posts about homemade FSG, you will find info about that. Apparently the type of flax seed also makes a difference - whether they are dark or light - but I don't remember which has the stronger hold. That would be in past posts, too. I use a mixture of both, so maybe I'm getting the best of both!
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • curlykristencurlykristen Posts: 113Registered Users
    ewenique wrote: »
    When I used tap water, the gel was cloudy and got a weird smell, so I always use distilled/purified water now. I freeze the extra, then thaw in the fridge the night before I plan to use it. I don't use preservatives, but if you read all past posts about homemade FSG, you will find info about that. Apparently the type of flax seed also makes a difference - whether they are dark or light - but I don't remember which has the stronger hold. That would be in past posts, too. I use a mixture of both, so maybe I'm getting the best of both!

In my experience, the brown seeds make a better gel, but the golden ones make a gel with better hold. I recently started using a combo of the two also, and it seems to be working well!
    Mostly 3A, some 3B/2C fine-med texture/med porosity/low density

wash: alternate co-washing with V05 & soap bars
    Rinse out: Rotate TJ's N&S, AOHR, LVPNG, GVP K-Pak, CJ CA Daily Condish
    ACV rinses 2x/wk (high pH water)
    LI: if I use one, it's usually CJ CALI CJ H&B LI, or GDLI
    Styling: FSG with AVG, AN, hemp seed oil & slippery elm (winter only), KCCC, CJ CCCC, CJ SG, CJ AFG, AOMM & BRHG

Currently experimenting w/DM Miracurls CG & MM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file