Protecting hair - swimming

KateBKateB Posts: 34Registered Users
I'm looking to start swimming regularly in the near future, probably 2/3 times a week to rehab a recently relocated shoulder.

I'm not religiously CG, but trying to get back into it, with a view to making products at home. I have type 3a hair which is about shoulder blade length, with an itchy scalp, but I don't get greasy for 3-4 days usually.

The water will inevitably be chlorinated, and I'm worried about the damage it will do to my hair.

Any suggestions?
UK based curly
Hair type; Messy - fine & quite porous, thin, currently shoulder length when dry, but growing out.
Co-wash; Wilko's own Tea Tree Conditioner
DT; Situation vacant
Stylers; Megatek Rebuilder & L'Oreal FX Invisible Hold Gel
Hair likes; Cold water, ACV rinses, air drying
Dislikes; all silicones, banana baby food

Comments

• islander13islander13 Posts: 5Registered Users
    I've read a few articles in the past that suggested that when you're swimming (in a pool, ocean, whatever) to dampen your hair before you enter the water and lightly coat it with conditioner. I've never tried it, though, so I can't speak from experience.
  • KateBKateB Posts: 34Registered Users
    That's a good idea.

I know I could get a swimming cap, but I have visions of it pulling at my hair quite a bit, even with Talcom powder in it. If I put conditioner on, and then put it in a cap, that might do the trick.
    UK based curly
    Hair type; Messy - fine & quite porous, thin, currently shoulder length when dry, but growing out.
    Co-wash; Wilko's own Tea Tree Conditioner
    DT; Situation vacant
    Stylers; Megatek Rebuilder & L'Oreal FX Invisible Hold Gel
    Hair likes; Cold water, ACV rinses, air drying
    Dislikes; all silicones, banana baby food
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I wet my hair first, then put plenty of conditioner, and a swim cap on my head before getting in the pool. No talc -- that's not something you want in your hair, and adding it to conditioner would probably make a cakey paste. I figure it's sort of a deep treatment. When I get out, I rinse, then co-wash.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • breezybabybreezybaby Posts: 347Registered Users
    I recommend investing in a swimming cap as well. I wear one now when swimming.
    3a/3b/3c hair all on one head :thumright:

public.fotki.com/breezybaby
    youtube.com/joyfulbree

Staples (used in many ways):
    Coconut milk
    Castor oil
    Coconut oil
    Honey
    Shea butter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji