Repeated Hennas Made Me Too Dark Now What?

misfitcurlsmisfitcurls Posts: 736Registered Users Curl Novice
okay so i LOVE LOVE LOVE henna but repeated hennaing has made my hair a very dark red. with summer coming i would love to lighten it up (still red just not so auburn, more strawberry)

any ideas? i know i will have to strand test ANYTHING i try i just wondered if anyone has had any success lightening their henna after it getting dark!
HENNA HEAD
3B just past BSL in back (when curly)
CG since 3/08
HG's:biolage condtioning balm and kpak (both the generic value versions)
overnight plop with a flour sack the strutt way
honey after leave-in
satin sleep cap & shea butter for day 2 hair
USING:KCKT&KCCC(its my HG :))
ALSO LOVE:jessicurl aloeba leave-in, rr, ccss
http://public.fotki.com/misfitcurls/
by: Riot Crrl!
I think you could walk around with words and stick people drawn on your face and still look supercute.

Comments

• Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hey, there. Nice to see you back on :). I read on the LHC forum that people have been very successful using sun-in to gradually pull out some of the henna. They don't report any damage, etc. Many have tried honey, yogurt, etc., but it's not too successful. You can us a very diluted peroxide or color fix from Sally's as well, but success varies, and I would be careful...let us know how you make out!
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    Do NOT use box/chemical hair color to try to lighten it. It can react *very* badly with henna and leave you with black hair. Sun In, lemon juice, and straight peroxide can help lighten it. The peroxide, though, requires a delicate touch and if you decide to go that route, you might want to see a pro.
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No ideas other than those given . . . just curious, have you been doing it all over every time or did it eventually end up too dark even just doing root touch-ups?

ETA: before going the peroxide route, there's a product called Metalex by Clairol that I used years ago to help remove some too-dark chemical hair color. It's often on the bottom shelf under hair colors at the drug store and Sally's probably has it. You might give it a try and see if it lifts any color that's just sitting on your hair before resorting to peroxide.
    www.clairolpro.com/products/color_removers/metalex

The packaging looks different, but I imagine it's about the same product, although I don't remember it mentioning mixing it with shampoo back then. You just applied it full-strength to your hair and then washed it out.

HTH
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • misfitcurlsmisfitcurls Posts: 736Registered Users Curl Novice
    ive been doing all over henna because i was scared my roots wouldnt match the length if i did root only! (since that was the problem to begin with) i just did a strand test with 50/50 water and peroxide, still waiting for it to dry though.
    HENNA HEAD
    CG since 3/08
    honey after leave-in
    I think you could walk around with words and stick people drawn on your face and still look supercute.
    I was blending grey, old chemical highlights and natural dark roots with a henna/cassia/indigo/amla mix. I did it all over the first two applications to give it all a good initial covering, but after that I did roots-only touch-ups.

It blended surprisingly well without having to be too careful - it's very forgiving. Never had any problem with the ends getting too dark, just with the highlights remaining too red since my hair wouldn't hang onto the indigo well enough. I finally cut them off and am only doing henna/indigo glosses now to blend the grey (non-dye released - turns the greys a golden color).

On the henna boards, it sounds like most red henna-ers only do root touch-ups, usually only doing it all over once or twice a year. Of course, if you're blending different colored roots, that would have some bearing on how/how often you do any of it.

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    auntnett wrote: »
    I was blending grey, old chemical highlights and natural dark roots with a henna/cassia/indigo/amla mix. I did it all over the first two applications to give it all a good initial covering, but after that I did roots-only touch-ups.

It blended surprisingly well without having to be too careful - it's very forgiving. Never had any problem with the ends getting too dark, just with the highlights remaining too red since my hair wouldn't hang onto the indigo well enough. I finally cut them off and am only doing henna/indigo glosses now to blend the grey (non-dye released - turns the greys a golden color).

On the henna boards, it sounds like most red henna-ers only do root touch-ups, usually only doing it all over once or twice a year. Of course, if you're blending different colored roots, that would have some bearing on how/how often you do any of it.

This is exactly what I've been doing. it's a PAAAAAIN to just do the roots, IMO, but I've been too afraid of it getting far too red if i do all over henna all the time (I'm naturally a strawberry blond, so the henna takes REALLY well). So far I've only done an all over color twice, and my hair's been doing really well. The roots always blend in with the existing henna without any fuss and it's a great way to save some $$$ too :)
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    I would say that you should be doing a whole head application as little as possible. Henna is still dye and as such is changing the chemical structure of the outer layer of your hair.

Most of what I know about vegetable dyes comes from dyeing wool, not hair but wool isn't all that different. It's knappy sheep hairs :) so not so different from us and our people hairs in many ways :iconbiggrin:

Overdyeing can leave you with wool you cannot make yarn out of because dye is made of the actual dye and something else called a mordant or fixative. The mordant or fixative is what binds the pigment in the dye to the material being colored. In this case, that would be our hair. Think of it as a facilitator. It facilitates the meeting and chemcial bonding of the stuff being dyed and the dye itself.

For most hair color, that ends up being peroxide. With vegetable dyes, some times that Alum, Sodium Carbonate, Tin Salts, Copper Salts, Iron Salts, or Vinegar (pickling strength, not normal) or something else.

In this case, plant acids like lemon juice, grapefruit juice, etc. are used as the mordant to fix this to your hair shafts. I'll grant that lemon juice isn't as damaging as peroxide but I'll still be cautious doing repeated whole head applications. Even though it's very weak, it is still an acid - like the stuff in your stomach.
    Citrus juice or vinegar are not necessary for henna dye release. Tea is sufficiently acidic, especially if you're already using amla in the mix for curl retention.

The last few times I did full dye-released henna (instead of the weak glosses I'm now using), I just used chamomile tea, and it worked fine and just as quickly. This from Catherine Cartwright-Jones on the henna site.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    I always do full-head apps, and only use cham tea, regular tea or just plain water...believe me, the dye release is very strong, and uptake is always good...the only issue I personally see with always doing full-head hennas is the deepening color, not the condition of the hair--this is precisely why I do it-my hair gets in better condition, stronger, no curl loss, each time...I've been thinking about using 30v peroxide or sun in on a few strands just to give a slight highlight effect for summer, though...Misfit-how did your testing go?
    i havent been testing... been to busy! but let me know how yours turns out!

i am very happy with my hair texture and condition just not with how deep/dark my hair got! its summer soon and i wanna lighten up!
    HENNA HEAD
    CG since 3/08
    honey after leave-in
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When I was using honey, I experienced lightening of my color. But I stopped because I didn't want it lightened!

For the most part, any sort of bleach on henna doesn't work. You can have a stylist buy a vegetable hair stripper, but that's gonna be pretty damaging, probably not more than using bleach, though.

I also only dye my roots with an occasional whole-head application. My roots blend just fine, you can never tell where the previous application starts.
    morrighu wrote: »
    I would say that you should be doing a whole head application as little as possible. Henna is still dye and as such is changing the chemical structure of the outer layer of your hair.

Most of what I know about vegetable dyes comes from dyeing wool, not hair but wool isn't all that different. It's knappy sheep hairs :) so not so different from us and our people hairs in many ways :iconbiggrin:

Overdyeing can leave you with wool you cannot make yarn out of because dye is made of the actual dye and something else called a mordant or fixative. The mordant or fixative is what binds the pigment in the dye to the material being colored. In this case, that would be our hair. Think of it as a facilitator. It facilitates the meeting and chemcial bonding of the stuff being dyed and the dye itself.

For most hair color, that ends up being peroxide. With vegetable dyes, some times that Alum, Sodium Carbonate, Tin Salts, Copper Salts, Iron Salts, or Vinegar (pickling strength, not normal) or something else.

In this case, plant acids like lemon juice, grapefruit juice, etc. are used as the mordant to fix this to your hair shafts. I'll grant that lemon juice isn't as damaging as peroxide but I'll still be cautious doing repeated whole head applications. Even though it's very weak, it is still an acid - like the stuff in your stomach.

OT moment:

Morrighu: Are you a spinner?

• KrazyCurlsMattKrazyCurlsMatt Posts: 14Registered Users
    "You could try to remove some henna using methods like yogurt+amla packs for 30-60 minutes. Repeated applications will be necessary and it won't lift it all, but should help some." quote from hennaforhair.com .

i have also heard of people doing multiple eight hour sessions with honey in their hair to lighten henna, apparently it works but it may take four or more treatments to work on your hair. i'll try to find pics.
    Shaved my hair off... Gonna start over.

event.png
    i just found this on the henna for hair forum... may try it (test strand first of course!) because i dont care if my hair is orange (in fact thats more of what i am going for!)
    if the strand test goes well i will probably do a whole head (minus roots) bleach and then do a henna gloss with kpak to help restore the damage done by the bleach/poo

"I bleach pretty regularly--in fact, I bleached my head last Thursday night. My roots are blonde now, it's all very BRIGHT ORANGE. I love it.I never had any luck with stuff like Sun-In over henna. Oh, it sometimes bleached my roots just fine, but it couldn't seem to lighten the hair I'd already hennaed at all. I now use a bleach/shampoo mixture, and am gentle to my hair for a day or two after with very good results (this past Thursday I lightned about 4 shades overall, more in some places like my roots). It's 1:1 bleach:shampoo. Using a basic bleach powder + developer mix (I prefer 20vol as it's pretty gentle, but 30 or 40 will work just as well and faster; mix the developer with the powdered bleach until it's creamy), I add about the same amount of shampoo as I have bleach goo. Mix thoroughly, then starting at the ENDS of your DRY hair, work the mixture in. Do the roots absolutely last and know that they will lighten and FAST, so do them only after you've seen some change in the rest of the hair (unless, like me, you're going for the blonde roots look). Once it's lightened (highly reccomend a test strip--not on your head, but cut from your head so you can get an accurate guess on timing) as much as you want, rinse in the shower, then shampoo as usual and condition heavily. It's still bleach and your hair still needs some mollification.This works well for spot-application, as well, as it is not as harsh as straight-up bleach on the hair."
    HENNA HEAD
    CG since 3/08
    honey after leave-in
    IN CASE ANYONE WAS INTERESTED
    i did the shampoo bleach method and it lightened it up to a very orange strawberry blond (which was what i was wanting.) my roots however are almost yellow!
    gonna do a gloss and hopefully that will blend it all a little better.

i used a 20 volume with a neutral powder lightener and mixed it 1:1 with shampoo. left it on for about 45 minutes (30 just ends 15 roots and ends) then rinsed it all out and slathered it with generic conditioning balm. hair doesnt feel too fried at all. i am gonna leave in more condish tomorrow and wear a hat to cover the roots while at work

i will do my gloss and maybe update with pics tomorrow evening.
    HENNA HEAD
    CG since 3/08
    honey after leave-in
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i am very happy with my hair texture and condition just not with how deep/dark my hair got! its summer soon and i wanna lighten up!

This was my issue as well. I loved the condition my hair was in, but it was sooooo dark! I'm naturally more fair and it looked odd on me.

I wound up using Colorfix from Robert Craig to lighten it up and it did work. However, I definitely had reddish ends for a bit, until they got cut off. But if you're still going to henna, then you won't have that issue, I guess.

Definitely test strip it!
    IN CASE ANYONE WAS INTERESTED
    i did the shampoo bleach method and it lightened it up to a very orange strawberry blond (which was what i was wanting.) my roots however are almost yellow!
    gonna do a gloss and hopefully that will blend it all a little better.

i used a 20 volume with a neutral powder lightener and mixed it 1:1 with shampoo. left it on for about 45 minutes (30 just ends 15 roots and ends) then rinsed it all out and slathered it with generic conditioning balm. hair doesnt feel too fried at all. i am gonna leave in more condish tomorrow and wear a hat to cover the roots while at work

i will do my gloss and maybe update with pics tomorrow evening.
    Sounds like it was a great success! I think the gloss will do the trick. I have 20V, but am afraid to add the bleach...and my problem is the root portion is too dark, not the last 5 or so inches...not sure if I can apply it carefully enough. Maybe your pictures will sway me, lol :) So glad it worked!
    i am sitting here with a gloss as we speak!
    HENNA HEAD
    CG since 3/08
    honey after leave-in
  • madmb20madmb20 Posts: 117Registered Users
    i am sitting here with a gloss as we speak!

misfitcurls, i know this is an old post but i was wondering how the gloss turned out, and what exactly the 'gloss' is? my henna is a bit too dark and i'm interested in trying the process you described.

thanks!
    2A/B
    still working on it
    :wink:
  • GRUGRU Posts: 32Registered Users
    morrighu wrote: »
    Do NOT use box/chemical hair color to try to lighten it. It can react *very* badly with henna and leave you with black hair.

This is only true if you're not using pure henna, not stuff that's mixed with chemicals, metals, or salts. People who buy pure, body-art-quality henna are not going to have any problems with using other colors, perms, relaxers, etc.

I've even seen "henna" for haircoloring sold in boxes at my local health food store that wasn't pure henna... and this is a very large health food grocery store with a large selection of organic products, too!

Buy pure henna from reputable suppliers and your hair will be fine.
    --combination 3b/3c, CG method since Oct 2009
    --former Product Junkie, now a Product Minimalist
    --using henna to cover gray and add oomph to strawberry-blonde hair
  • qimissungqimissung Posts: 211Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I did a henna gloss yesterday and it really colored my hair, I just wanted a hint of red and got very red. All I used was conditioner and rajasthani henna. Be careful even with a gloss!
    Fine cherub curls. LUS brand user. That's all I need!
    what proportion of henna to conditioner did you use and how long did you leave it on? I only use a tablespoon dry - not dye released - henna to a cup of conditioner and leave it on 30-60 minutes. It just leaves me with a nice reddish gold on my grays and little to no change to my natural chestnut brown.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • qimissungqimissung Posts: 211Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used a tablespoon to a half cup and left it in for an hour. I wasn't going to leave it in that long, but got sidetracked.
    Fine cherub curls. LUS brand user. That's all I need!
  • ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Posts: 2,264Registered Users
    what proportion of henna to conditioner did you use and how long did you leave it on? I only use a tablespoon dry - not dye released - henna to a cup of conditioner and leave it on 30-60 minutes. It just leaves me with a nice reddish gold on my grays and little to no change to my natural chestnut brown.

Am I understanding you correctly to say that you simply mix dry henna with conditioner and put this on your hair? I'm looking to just cover grays and have very dark brown--almost black--hair otherwise that I really don't wish to alter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
    I always do full-head apps, and only use cham tea, regular tea or just plain water...believe me, the dye release is very strong, and uptake is always good...the only issue I personally see with always doing full-head hennas is the deepening color, not the condition of the hair--this is precisely why I do it-my hair gets in better condition, stronger, no curl loss, each time...I've been thinking about using 30v peroxide or sun in on a few strands just to give a slight highlight effect for summer, though...Misfit-how did your testing go?

Water or regular black tea are sufficiently acidic to release the dye? This would be great news since my hair doesn't do well with ACV or anything very acidic.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
  • rhiannonrhiannon Posts: 80Registered Users
    Ghostposter, don't you have a BKT in your hair? (I've been reading the threads on keratin treatments.) Do you know if BKT and henna can mix? I think I read somewhere that you can't use henna if you've had certain other processes in your hair (maybe what I read is that you can't mix henna with permanent color ... I don't remember exactly.)

Rhiannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Curl Type: 3c
    Fine, low density, not sure about porosity.

Products / Routine:
    Daily shampoo & rinse-out conditioner: Currently using Tresemme Naturals.
    Styling: Curls Milkshake as a leave-in conditioner, followed by Curls Gel-les'c (the kids version - it's cheaper) for hold.
    Usually I air-dry, SOTC, and fluff from roots, or smooth it down. For faster drying I use a Belvedere salon hood dryer for about 20 minutes.
    rhiannon wrote: »
    Ghostposter, don't you have a BKT in your hair? (I've been reading the threads on keratin treatments.) Do you know if BKT and henna can mix? I think I read somewhere that you can't use henna if you've had certain other processes in your hair (maybe what I read is that you can't mix henna with permanent color ... I don't remember exactly.)

Rhiannon

Yes, I do, but from what I'm reading, as long as you use body art quality henna, it shouldn't be a problem. I have highlights, which are super damaging to my baby fine hair, and that hasn't really been a problem even with my frequent BKTing, though I noticed much more shedding immediately following the 2nd highlight application back in January, which is why I don't want to do it anymore.

Everything I've read warns against using lower quality henna or hennas mixed with other chemicals over previously processed hair. I really don't think its going to be a problem, but I'll do a test to make sure...that is if I ever get my stuff from mehandi.com. I placed an order days ago and haven't received a confirmation or even a PayPal charge to my account.

Thanks for watching my back, though! :occasion5:
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)

Am I understanding you correctly to say that you simply mix dry henna with conditioner and put this on your hair? I'm looking to just cover grays and have very dark brown--almost black--hair otherwise that I really don't wish to alter.

Yes, that's right. I'm talking pure, unadulterated body art grade henna, though. I first learned about the brown gloss here:

www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=view&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS[]=3530

There may be more threads about it over there by now. You don't need acid, you don't pre-mix the henna. If I use some indigo, which I often do if I think it's getting a little too red, I use a tablespoon of it dry, too, and add a teaspoon of salt to help it last better. I use about a tablespoon of both (I just eyeball it - you don't have to be exact) in a cup to a cup and a half of conditioner because my hair's below shoulder length.

If you decide to try it, I'd only do it for 20-30 minutes the first time until you see how it does on your hair. If you want more, you can do it again without harm even on the same day.

If you ever think it's getting too red, you can also do just an indigo gloss to tone it down.

ETA: I just noticed your comments about your Mehandi order - that isn't typical of them. I'd call or e-mail them about it to be sure they even received it.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    Thanks, auntnett...I just scanned that thread over, and that's EXACTLY what I want--brown with my grays as golden highlights! I do currently have honey, caramel, and auburn highlights, but my primary concern is getting the grays covered.

I contacted Mehandi, and you were right...they didn't even receive my order, so I placed it again, and it was still just sitting there at PayPal! That's ok...gave me the opportunity to add some amla to the order.

I can't wait for my order to get here!!!
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Great, I hope you like it. I re-scanned that thread just now for the first time in a long time. FYI, I do get some reddishness eventually, thus the occasional indigo-only gloss. However, I don't do half conditioner/half indigo as someone mentioned. I only use a tablespoon or so with a little salt in about a cup of conditioner and it tones it down just enough.

If you can still find it, LVNPG is an excellent conditioner for glossing because it's thick and I never have any liquid seep out of it, so no cotton roping or blotting is needed. Unfortunately, it's been discontinued, so you may not be able to find it. The Biolage Conditioning Balm knock-off's are about the next best thing I've found.

Caution: the little color you get from the henna is still permanent, just as when you use it dye-released - there's just less of it.

HTH

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    So, I tried the gloss...1 t each of henna and indigo in my HEHH conditioner, left on for about an hour. Very subtle gold tint to my grays. Doesn't quite give enough gray coverage, so I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge with 90% cassia 10% henna tomorrow. I didn't order enough indigo to do the more brunette color I initially wanted, so I'll try that next order.

The HEHH worked well, without drips, and it covered the henna smell perfectly, for those who don't like it.

I'm nervous about putting something mixed with orange juice on my hair. I was afraid that tap water alone wouldn't be acidic enough to release the cassia dye. I'll report back after the cassia/henna job tomorrow.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file