HELP-Mom of a 3b - should I or shouldn't I straighten her hair

czycropperczycropper Posts: 3Registered Users
A little background - I'm Hispanic and I've been chemically straightening my hair since I was 10 or 11! Yep, and I still do and my hair looks good but I keep it shoulder length.

My tween daughter has long very curly hair (3B) that all of the sudden has become unruly. I've tried using the Ouidad products and they don't work. Her hair looks great when it's wet but when it dries it doesn't look that great - I've tried contacting Ouidad and all they say is do a deep conditioner and then use the products - still not working!

SO, my question is should I try a keratin treatment? Does anyone have any experience with a tween and the use of the treatment? ANY & ALL advice is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Comments

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    As someone who was a 3b/c at that age, I can only say I wish I had had someone who knew how to deal with and could teach me to learn to love the hair God gave me instead of hair stylists and everyone else making me feel like it was somehow less than just because it wasn't straight.

Why not at least encourage her to join NC herself and visit the Curly Teen and 3B forums and learn about it and its possibilities? Then straighten it if that's her choice. After all, she's the one who's going to have to manage it, if not in the immediate future, very soon.

It's much easier to learn the right way to care for curly hair than to fight it all your life - I know from whence I speak :)
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • CheesyToastCheesyToast Posts: 153Registered Users
    auntnett wrote: »
    As someone who was a 3b/c at that age, I can only say I wish I had had someone who knew how to deal with and could teach me to learn to love the hair God gave me instead of hair stylists and everyone else making me feel like it was somehow less than just because it wasn't straight.

Why not at least encourage her to join NC herself and visit the Curly Teen and 3B forums and learn about it and its possibilities? Then straighten it if that's her choice. After all, she's the one who's going to have to manage it, if not in the immediate future, very soon.

It's much easier to learn the right way to care for curly hair than to fight it all your life - I know from whence I speak :)

I agree with Auntnett. Please let her join this site, l really wish someone taught me how to take care of my hair at that age...it would have saved a lot of trouble and really have boosted my confidence. Instead of fighting against it, figure it out and work with it. Please read more post on this site and try the L.O.I.S typing system, it could help a lot with choosing products.
    OS
    Fine/Medium
    High sheen
    Spongy
    Normal porousity
    Healthy CBL unstretched Dec 2009
    And APL unstretched August 2010
    Fotki updated June 14th 09
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    +1, let the people here help her love her hair! Sounds really beautiful to me. If it's very long and suddenly unruly, may need a trim or a cut.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file