Navy liner for brown/hazel eyes? Other rec's welcome!

OperaCurlsOperaCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,101
I'm 20, and trying to get into the habit of wearing more makeup so that I don't look like I should be in high school. So I asked a friend for some recommendations, and she said I should try navy eyeliner to make my hazel/brown eyes "pop." Is this a good idea? I am fair-complected with slight peach/yellow undertones. My day-to-day makeup consists of powder foundation (Meow Sleek Chartreux), some light blush, and lipgloss. The only thing I have for special occasions is mascara and shimmery eyeshadow that really doesn't add much color.

Basically, I'm kind of clueless and while I don't want to look like I'm trying too hard, I need a more grown-up look. Thanks in advance for any feedback/recommendations. :hello1:
http://public.fotki.com/opera-curls/ (I cut my own hair)
Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
I LOVE HENNA!

Comments

• ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    I've done well with navy liner along my top lashline.....it brightens and thickens things up for daytime. I got my pencil from Sephora (their house brand), and the navy shadow I use as a wet liner there, too.
  • babyschloebabyschloe Registered Users Posts: 18
    I'm also a newbie when it comes to makeup, but I really like Mac's eyeshadows. They have some really pretty blue colors, and they are fairly inexpensive compared to other eyeshadows from higher end makeup brands. And they last forever:)

I'd also recommend the L'Oreal Hip eye liner pencil or the eye kohl in a navy color. You can probably find them at your local drugstore. The kohl is very pigmented, but it comes with a stick to apply to your waterline which honestly takes some getting used to. I use eyeliner in black, but I've heard the Hip eye liner pencil is easy to use and is long-lasting.

HTH.
    Trying to figure it all out again.

3a/3b. Med/coarse texture. Low porosity.

Protein sensitive and extremely dry.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    try MAC Prunella eye kohl - it's a dark purple that looks great on brown eyes.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur
    I loooove my violet eyeliner by clinique...it goes on silky smooth without tugging. It's a real deep violet, not purply at all. It looks good on my bluish-green eyes.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • winifredwinifred Registered Users Posts: 295
    My coloring is similar to yours, and I love navy eyeliner on my hazel (brown-green with yellow) eyes. My absolute favorites, though, are greyed navies because they are softer looking.

I use Lancome Bleu Gris pencil but it's discontinued. Clinique Slate eyeliner pencil is almost the same color. Purples are often recommended for hazel eyes, but they don't suit me (they bring out redness).

Give navy, grey-navy, and purple a try!
  • MimsTXMimsTX Registered Users Posts: 3,482 Curl Neophyte
    Navy is good for me (I'm fair with light brown/hazel eyes as well), as are the darker purples/plums.

I have to say though... I got the L'oreal HIP eyeliner pot and maybe I just got a bad batch, but I do NOT like the texture of it, or the way it goes on. Definitely prefer a pencil or a liquid eyeliner... though I'm really wanting to try the MAC gel liner...
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
    Gel eyeliner was a disaster for me.......impossible to get right the first time, and impossible to budge once I got it on at all. Worse than liquid.
  • MimsTXMimsTX Registered Users Posts: 3,482 Curl Neophyte
    ninja dog wrote: »
    Gel eyeliner was a disaster for me.......impossible to get right the first time, and impossible to budge once I got it on at all. Worse than liquid.

Oy, thats good to know... did it go on fairly smoothly, at least? lol, that was the main 'pro' for me...
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
    Nope. I just couldn't get an even thickness going, let alone an easy application. Some spots were lumpy, some empty.

I really hated this product.
  • pooks1213pooks1213 Registered Users Posts: 211
    MimsTX wrote: »
    Navy is good for me (I'm fair with light brown/hazel eyes as well), as are the darker purples/plums.

I have to say though... I got the L'oreal HIP eyeliner pot and maybe I just got a bad batch, but I do NOT like the texture of it, or the way it goes on. Definitely prefer a pencil or a liquid eyeliner... though I'm really wanting to try the MAC gel liner...

The best gel eyeliner I've found is by Jane Be Pure Mineral gel eyeliners...around $5 (Walgreen's usually has a BOGO too). I REALLY like them...I found it pretty effortless...and I'm an pencil kind of girl when it comes to eye liner. I HATE liquid eyeliner. So if you wanna try it out without spending alot, I recommend that. Also, pick up Sonia Kashuk's bent eye liner brush...it's awesome.

To the OP...purples would probably look great on you!
  • OperaCurlsOperaCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    Thank you all for the recommendations! I am definitely going to try navy and greyed navy liner. I've tried purple before, but like Winifred said, it brought out some redness that wasn't flattering. I'm on a college student budget, so drugstore brands are a must at this point. Anyone tried Revlon's ColorStay eyeliner pencil? It has good reviews on drugstore.com.

ETA: Now that I think about it, the only purple eyeliner I tried was the Almay i-something or other, and it wasn't very good quality to begin with. I'll shop around. Thanks again for the help, ladies.
    http://public.fotki.com/opera-curls/ (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, try plums. Honestly, a deep kelly green or bright emerald green might look good too.
    Nope. I just couldn't get an even thickness going, let alone an easy application. Some spots were lumpy, some empty.

Mac Fluidline is not forgiving. But if I use the BE angled eyeliner brush and tilt my head back, it helps A LOT.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    Phoenix wrote: »
    Yes, try plums. Honestly, a deep kelly green or bright emerald green might look good too.

Mac Fluidline is not forgiving. But if I use the BE angled eyeliner brush and tilt my head back, it helps A LOT.

I don't want to try that hard. I gave it away to a cute little Brazilian blonde I know. She's 18, and willing to work at it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file