Using curlers to help transition

desert flowerdesert flower Registered Users Posts: 188
So, I am growing out a Japanese straightener. My hair is in between bra strap and waist length and I have about 4 inches of curly (3A) roots...sounds great, doesn't it?

I have just been doing buns or blow drying my hair or getting a roller set done and wearing it straight/wavy but I really miss curly hair.

I have tried braiding but I am not a big fan of the crimped look and it still looks odd mixed in with my new roots...my natural hair is more of a spiral ringlet kind of curl...as far as I can remember, anyways!

Have any of you tried curlers, whether store bought or home made, to get a curly look that sort of blends in the two textures?

Which have worked/not worked for you?

Comments

• DivaGyrlDivaGyrl Registered Users Posts: 84
    I suggest two-strand twists and rolling your ends on perm ends. It really helps the two textures blend together while you're transitioning.
  • Lorraine09Lorraine09 Registered Users Posts: 126
    I just started using flexirods. I like them a lot so far. They come in several different sizes depending on what size you want the curl to be.
  • desert flowerdesert flower Registered Users Posts: 188
    Lorraine09 wrote: »
    I just started using flexirods. I like them a lot so far. They come in several different sizes depending on what size you want the curl to be.

I just thought about flexirods. I had to use them in high school for cheerleading and my mom would get annoyed because my hair looked exactly the same after using them so I figured that would make them a good tool!

How do you use yours? Do you use them on wet or dry hair and how long do you leave them in? Sorry for all the questions!
    DivaGyrl wrote: »
    I suggest two-strand twists and rolling your ends on perm ends. It really helps the two textures blend together while you're transitioning.

I have yet to master the two-strand twists...even after watching it on youtube several times! Every time I try them, I ended up with my hair looking...matted and tangling like crazy! I wish I could figure out what I am doing wrong!
  • PolluxWifePolluxWife Registered Users Posts: 11
    I recently started using flexi rods and I LOVE them!!!! I use them on wet hair and I let them air dry while I sleep. Your hair is a lot longer than mine so your hair may not air dry that fast. When I'm pressed for time, I"ll sit under the hair dryer. I have read that some women do their flexi rods on dry hair, so you may get good results from that too! Good Luck!
    Last Perm: Feb 2, 2009
    Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioner
    Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Shampoo
    Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Conditioner
    VO5 Clarifying Shampoo
    Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil DT
    Lorraine09 wrote: »

I just thought about flexirods. I had to use them in high school for cheerleading and my mom would get annoyed because my hair looked exactly the same after using them so I figured that would make them a good tool!

How do you use yours? Do you use them on wet or dry hair and how long do you leave them in? Sorry for all the questions!
    To get better curl/definition, you have to use them on wet hair. I usually air dry mine, or use a hooded dryer. My hair is pretty thick, so it takes all day to air dry. Seriously. If you have more of a fine hair texture, I suppose it would take less time. This is something I do on a sunday when I'm in the house all day.
    So, I tried flexirods the other night and the results were...odd...I am hoping that it just takes a few times to get it right...please say it's not just me...

My roots still stood out A LOT from the rest of my hair. What size rods are you all using and how many are you putting in?

My hair also wasn't fully dry when I took them out but I didn't realize that until it was too late so I think it didn't take as much as it should have.

Are there any tutorials that you have seen that have really worked for you?

Thanks!!
    Sorry...I meant to tell you that you must make sure that it is fully dry before you take them out or your hair will be big and frizzy. I tried it one time and they came out perfect. The next time I took them out too soon and my hair was a mess! It is kind of hard to tell with flexirods because if you try to put too much hair on one rod, the outside will appear to be dry, but once you start unrolling, the hair is still wet in the middle. You have to try not to roll too much hair on top of itself. Try to match the size of the rollers to match the size of your curl pattern. If you have a tighter curl, you can use skinnier rollers and vice versa. There are a ton of tutorials on youtube. Just type in curlformers or flexirods. Also, check out curlynikki's blog. She has a lot of great info on her site.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file