my epiphany...update on pg 3

luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
for many of you this may not be news but i finally found out what was causing my AWFUL acne...my beloved mac studio fix which is the perfect shade and gives excellent coverage is the culprit. i just could not for the life of me figure out why my skin was bad, my cleansing was good, i did detoxes, changed my diet, took vitamins for the skin, got facials, then didn't get facials, did peels, you name it and i would just get these bumps (big ones, smaller ones, painful ones). i just didn't attribute it to the mac studio fix since it wasn't all over my face (mostly the lower part, like my cheeks down to my jawline). anyway, the more breakouts i had the more i wore the mac to cover my skin. well finally this week i said, i'm just going to let my skin breathe. it was hard but i went to work all week with just cleansing and sunscreen...i've had NO inflammation or breakouts ALL week!!! and what's even more interesting is that i'm about to start my period so if i can go without getting pimples now it has to be the foundation (in my case).

i took it a step further and did research and apparently there are a whole lot of people, especially acne prone folks, who do not respond well to mac foundations. i sort of thought about it but ruled it out because i just didn't believe it could be my foundation. i just hate that because i love their color match. i don't think the shadows cause a problem but i did do some research and found some of the key ingredients are big baddies for breaking out your skin....

i'm SO happy that i now know what was causing the problems. i bought a foundation from prescriptives but the virtual matte which was recommended had almost identical ingredients as the studio fix fluid which was i know for sure broke me out so i returned that without even using it. why does it have algae extract???

i've decided to enter the world of mineral makeup. i ordered from l.a. minerals. any of you use that? i might also circle back to meow cosmetics which i sampled but didn't pursue because i thought ordering foundations and blush online would be a hassle. i'm even prepared to give up my wonderful blushes and just use mac for my eyes and lips.
a dreamy pisces :fish:
please recycle, it matters...
i change lives...through fitness
i'm more relaxed being natural

Comments

• rudeechickrudeechick Registered Users Posts: 6,726
    Well, I have only used the BE Mineral make up... but have been using it happily for years. I think you will be happy with the switch.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • pooks1213pooks1213 Registered Users Posts: 211
    That really stinks about MAC huh? I've read that alot of people tend to break out from it. I am VERY prone to breaking out (having extremely sensitive skin kinda sucks). Clinique's Super Fit doesn't break me out, and Maybelline's mineral power powder foundation doesn't either.
  • CurlyGina2CurlyGina2 Registered Users Posts: 1,048
    Was that the powder? I thought the Studio fix fluid was yucky, but I use the powder occasionally.
  • CarrollCarroll Registered Users Posts: 224
    Studio Fix totally broke me out too.....I have been using Anywear by Prescriptives and LOVE it!!! Will not make you break out. Oh and Bare Minerals also made me break out so I wouldn't go down that road either. At 37 years old I can't believe I still have to be soooo careful what I use on my face :confused1:
    Say what you mean and mean what you say.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    Carroll wrote: »
    Studio Fix totally broke me out too.....I have been using Anywear by Prescriptives and LOVE it!!! Will not make you break out. Oh and Bare Minerals also made me break out so I wouldn't go down that road either. At 37 years old I can't believe I still have to be soooo careful what I use on my face :confused1:

is the anywear a liquid or powder?

i hear bare mineral has the bismuth in it so i'm steering clear of that and only using bismuth free mineral makeup.
    CurlyGina2 wrote: »
    Was that the powder? I thought the Studio fix fluid was yucky, but I use the powder occasionally.

the studio fix i was using was a powder. i LOVED the coverage but look here, some of the ingredients are so bad...dang!

http://www.specktra.net/forum/f254/
  • misspammisspam Registered Users Posts: 5,318
    luvmylocs - I have recently switched from BE to Meow and I am very happy with it. I had to place a couple of orders full of samples but I finally found a great shade.

My skin is on the oily side and always broke out when I was still using traditional foundation. Although I never tried MAC, I tried many other brands. I think that the mineral foundations are less problematic especially if you steer clear of the lines which contain bismuth. Good luck! :happy10:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    misspam wrote: »
    luvmylocs - I have recently switched from BE to Meow and I am very happy with it. I had to place a couple of orders full of samples but I finally found a great shade.

My skin is on the oily side and always broke out when I was still using traditional foundation. Although I never tried MAC, I tried many other brands. I think that the mineral foundations are less problematic especially if you steer clear of the lines which contain bismuth. Good luck! :happy10:

that's so encouraging...have bad skin has really effected my self esteem...

i placed a huge sample order tonight with meow cosmetics tonight. i'm determined to get the exact right shade. i also ordered samples of concealor (gotta cover the dark marks i have now), the oil control and the finishing as well as some blush samples.

i got my l.a. minerals in the mail super fast and the foundation i picked was too light. they don't have all the range of colors so i just decided to try meow since it's so popular here and i did like one of the colors i tried before i just wasn't, at that time, ready to change to mineral makeup.

i hope they come soon!!
  • tessleopardtessleopard Registered Users Posts: 9
    quick question, lovemylocs - where do i find a list of what's good and bad so i know what to look for in foundations, etc? i know sage is a good place to start, but do you have any other recommendations? thanks in advance for your time.:blob7:
  • OperaCurlsOperaCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    Just chiming in to give Meow Cosmetics another thumbs up! LOVE this stuff - use it every day and at this rate my first jar will last me at least another year (been using it six months already). Every other foundation, even Bare Minerals, gave me acne and looked cakey by the end of the day. Now, I get complimented on how "perfect" my skin is without any makeup. :wink:
    http://public.fotki.com/opera-curls/ (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
    thanks opera_curls!!

tessleopard i use the list on sage and also i have this book cosmetic ingredients i don't remember it costing that amount but it's a handy little reference book and lots of info.
  • VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur

misspam, I looked at the meow site...wow, that's a lot to take in. I'm not sure how to begin to find the right shade. One thing that intrigued me though, is the "not having to buff" part when applying it. I hate doing that because it causes my skin to flake and dry out. Which line did you end up choosing (purrfect puss, pampered puss or flawless feline) and why? TIA!!!
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    VTmom wrote: »

misspam, I looked at the meow site...wow, that's a lot to take in. I'm not sure how to begin to find the right shade. One thing that intrigued me though, is the "not having to buff" part when applying it. I hate doing that because it causes my skin to flake and dry out. Which line did you end up choosing (purrfect puss, pampered puss or flawless feline) and why? TIA!!!

vtmom do you wear mac? someone on the meow forum did a mac conversion...here's part of it. if you go to the forum and search it tells you how to compare your mac # to a shade....

MAC Undertones Conversion:
    - W: very cool, pinkish (Chausie, Himalayan)
    - NW: cool, pinkish beige (Sphynx, Persian, possibly Bengal as well)
    - N: neutral, beige (Bengal, Siamese, Ocicat, probably Mau)
    - NC: warm, golden beige (Korat, Abyssinian, Chartreux)
    - C: very warm, olive/yellow tones (Angora, Manx)
  • xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    I should revisit Meow. I tried some samples but just never got the right match and I got frustrated and gave up. Do people that use this change the 'color' from winter to summer?
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • OperaCurlsOperaCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    xcptnl wrote: »
    I should revisit Meow. I tried some samples but just never got the right match and I got frustrated and gave up. Do people that use this change the 'color' from winter to summer?

I never tan, but my sister does a little, so when she bought her Meow foundation, she got the shade that matched her skin, and one level darker in the same "breed" for summer, and mixed the two for whatever she needed at the time. She bought the Munchkin sizes and an extra sifter, and it worked just fine.
    http://public.fotki.com/opera-curls/ (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
  • xcptnlxcptnl Registered Users Posts: 15,678 Curl Connoisseur
    xcptnl wrote: »

I never tan, but my sister does a little, so when she bought her Meow foundation, she got the shade that matched her skin, and one level darker in the same "breed" for summer, and mixed the two for whatever she needed at the time. She bought the Munchkin sizes and an extra sifter, and it worked just fine.

Thanks! I have ordered some samples again. If I get a match I will then order one the next shade darker for summer and mix them like she does. I got frustrated the last time but I have talked to some ladies in Ulta and they helped me by telling I have pink undertones - I never knew that! I am using a liquid foundation right now that matches well but I would like to find a mineral that worked well too.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Registered Users Posts: 1,834 Curl Connoisseur
    I've used Meow for years now. It's so perfect for me. I use one shade for winter/no tan, and the next level for summer. I also mix them when I'm at an inbetween stage. If I need more coverage, I find that mixing the light foundation with a small amount of the next level concealer is perfect. It does not cause breakouts or irritation, stays put, is waterproof as far as I am concerned, and is very natural/comfortable. I like the idea of the smaller munchkins, but the container makes me lose powder and make a mess. I guess I'm a bit mineral challenged in that respect...love Meow...
    the samples i ordered sat got shipped today!! i ordered about 20 samples between foundation, concealor, primer, finisher and blush and i did priority shipping. i can not wait to get my samples!!! until then i'm going without makeup...please come quickly meow :-)
    I like the idea of the smaller munchkins, but the container makes me lose powder and make a mess. I guess I'm a bit mineral challenged in that respect...love Meow...

interesting...so are the full sized containers wider? i guess if i find the perfect match i'll just buy the big jar. are the big jars messy too? what about the blush jars? i'm so excited, i know i'm late but i'm excited ;-)
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    Another Meow user...I really like the foundation, even though I barely use it...just started wearing the blushes I purchased months and months ago. They are so light, natural, pretty and only a small amount is needed. They look a lot darker in the container than on the skin.

My favorites in order are the following:

Cheshire Cat
    Orgasmic
    Feline Fever
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    Blush jars are easy to use...regular size jars are huge! I will enough foundation for the next 3 or 4 or 5 years...:p

To me, the Meow blush containers are about the size of Bare Minerals foundation sizes, maybe a tad smaller.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    Windflower wrote: »
    Another Meow user...I really like the foundation, even though I barely use it...just started wearing the blushes I purchased months and months ago. They are so light, natural, pretty and only a small amount is needed. They look a lot darker in the container than on the skin.

My favorites in order are the following:

Cheshire Cat
    Orgasmic
    Feline Fever

:hello1:

i got samples of all 3 of those...plus more ;)

hurry, hurry meow....
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Registered Users Posts: 1,834 Curl Connoisseur
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    I like the idea of the smaller munchkins, but the container makes me lose powder and make a mess. I guess I'm a bit mineral challenged in that respect...love Meow...

interesting...so are the full sized containers wider? i guess if i find the perfect match i'll just buy the big jar. are the big jars messy too? what about the blush jars? i'm so excited, i know i'm late but i'm excited ;-)
    The munchkin jars I use have a lid that basically covers the jar-the edge of the lid comes down to the bottom of the container, if that makes sense. If I carry them around in my handbag, etc., and they get tossed around a bit, when I unscrew the cap, some of the powder that ultimately rests between the outer wall of the jar and the inside of the lid just comes out all over. The big jars, blush containers, etc. seem to all have normal screw-on lids, so there's no problem for me. Everyone else probably loves the munchkins, and it's most likely operator error on my part :toothy7:
    luvmylocs wrote: »

that's so encouraging...have bad skin has really effected my self esteem...

i placed a huge sample order tonight with meow cosmetics tonight. i'm determined to get the exact right shade. i also ordered samples of concealor (gotta cover the dark marks i have now), the oil control and the finishing as well as some blush samples.

i got my l.a. minerals in the mail super fast and the foundation i picked was too light. they don't have all the range of colors so i just decided to try meow since it's so popular here and i did like one of the colors i tried before i just wasn't, at that time, ready to change to mineral makeup.

i hope they come soon!!

I hope they come soon for you. I had loads of fun with all my samples. I really could've gone with 3 different breeds, they are that forgiving. Have fun!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wild~hairwild~hair Registered Users Posts: 9,890 Curl Neophyte
    nm

[I see people already know about the Sage Skin Care ingredients list :thumbright:]
  • wild~hairwild~hair Registered Users Posts: 9,890 Curl Neophyte
    Carroll wrote: »
    Oh and Bare Minerals also made me break out so I wouldn't go down that road either.

Actually, Bare Escentuals works for a lot of acne-prone people. Nothing's ever 100% for every person out there, but I would hate someone to not even give it a try when so many people benefit from it.
    wild~hair wrote: »
    nm

[I see people already know about the Sage Skin Care ingredients list :thumbright:]

thanks wild~hair. that's the link i referred back to over the weekend to confirm that my mac was evil!! it has a lot of bad ingredients for acne prone skin and even the prescriptives virtual matte has that algae extra.

even though i haven't gotten my samples yet i'm a mineral girl...to think of all the $$ i spent on different skin care products, detoxing, acupuncture, you name it all to be able to get better skin when all i had to do was stop using the mac foundation....urgh...
    Just chiming in to give Meow Cosmetics another thumbs up! LOVE this stuff - use it every day and at this rate my first jar will last me at least another year (been using it six months already). Every other foundation, even Bare Minerals, gave me acne and looked cakey by the end of the day. Now, I get complimented on how "perfect" my skin is without any makeup. :wink:

I was never that impressed with the finish on BE either. Like you, by the end of the day, it looked cakey and felt heavy and the shine did NOT flatter my slightly oily skin. I did continue to get some breakouts as well. Less than with liquid foundation but I still was not completely happy.
    VTmom wrote: »

I understand completely!!! That's why it took so long for me to make the switch to Meow. I felt completely overwhelmed with the sheer number of choices. I did begin by ordering the recommended breeds according to the BE shade you wear. The individual breed pages and the descriptions of "You may be a ____ if..." are helpful. The undertones are right on, although I'm not sure I agree with the clothing colors. Their forum seems like a good place to post questions in regards to color help. You can post a pic of yourself and the "Color Guru" can point you in the right direction.

I wish I could give you a better idea about where to start, but you should instinctively have an idea whether you have cool vs. warm undertones and start there. I placed 2 separate orders of samples and take your time trying each one on in natural light. I did not find it helpful to try the color on the underside of my wrist. I found the back of the hand to be a more true representation or even directly on your face right at the jawbone.

I ended up going with one Frisky Sphynx and one Sleek Sphynx. The Frisky is in the Purrfect Puss and the Sleek is in the Pampered Puss. They both look great. I think I slightly prefer the Purrfect Puss formula as it's the lightest coverage and I can always layer if I need more coverage. I ordered the munchkin sizes and they should last a long time.

Just to give you an idea, I can also wear the Frisky Mau and the Frisky Siamese. I think they are very forgiving and you can always mix your own if you find 2 that are close but not quite.

I am also trying out the blush samples and I am loving Meow's fiber optic blush brush to apply them. It gives your cheeks that glowing-from-within look that is very flattering.

I say, jump right in there and order up some samples. Have fun and let us know what you got! :mrgreen:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    got my samples *eek* i'm so excited. i still think fierce sphynx is my best match but i tried almost every fierced and slinky in some shades.

question: i have dark marks to cover past dark spots. what do you guys recommend? the matching concealor or one of the yellow concealors or what? i don't want something to light but these dark marks have got to be covered. help?

love the blush shades!!!
  • VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur
    misspam,
    thanks so much for all your input!!! I've never worn mac so I don't know what that shade would be. I ended up ordering a bunch of meow samples last weekend. I haven't gotten them yet but was glad to hear they're so forgiving. I was thinking I might prefer the purrfect puss for the very reason you stated...it's the lightest formula and I can layer it if necessary. I hope to get the samples on monday - they were shipped this past thursday - I'll keep you posted!
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file