Atlanta Transitioners/Natural?

Lorraine09Lorraine09 Registered Users Posts: 126
I am just curious to see how many of you live in the Atlanta area and how you cope with the crazy ups and downs with the weather. What are your favorite products? Have you had any negative comments about being natural yet? Most of Atl women love their relaxers and extensions, so I am just curious to see what kind of reactions you may have gotten. Also, do you know of any good natural haircare salons in the area?

Comments

• ParatyParaty Registered Users Posts: 394
    I'm not from ATL, nor have I ever been, but I may be heading down there for grad school in the fall. :occasion5: I here mixed things about there being lots of naturals down there vs. lots of creamy crack queens, pardon my description. They have the famed, Urbanbella salon in ATL.

http://www.urbanbella.net/shop/welcome.html
    Hair • Wellness • Style Blog

Routine: Cleanse Kenra Clarifying, Deep Co with Matrix Biolage Balm + oil (EVOO, avocado, KCPP or Wild Growth oil),:glasses1:Style with Matrix Biolage Balm + KCPP; or Aloe water + KCPP + KCCC; or CR Almond Jai + styler (KCCC, KCPP or Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Treluxe combo (Treluxe UK leave-in, KCPP, Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Eco gel alone (Argan or Olive). Avoiding Buildup with low glycerin, coconut, shea, honey, non-keratin protein.
  • Lorraine09Lorraine09 Registered Users Posts: 126
    Yes. I haven't seen too many natural women yet. The very few that I do know that are natural, they get their hair flat ironed every 1 to 2 weeks, so you never see their texture. Btw, does that count as being a true natural if you keep it flat ironed all the time?
  • SandraDgroovySandraDgroovy Registered Users Posts: 139
    Yes, LOTS of women with weaves, wigs, and relaxers here in the ATL.

Amazingly, just about all my friends are natural or transitioning...so being surrounded by curly girl friends, I haven't experienced negative comments & we are always trading hair tips. I have been noticing a lot more women with natural hair now around ATL, but they are a small percentage.

I have heard of a couple salons in ATL that have experience with natural curly hair: Urbanella, Too Groovy, and Curltopia, there may be others. I have been to Too Groovy salon a couple times. I liked them a lot.
    Sandra, RN & fitness competitor.

Transitioning since 4/2008, with no plans to BC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sandra-Fields-Fitness-Competitor/115579921807944

event.png
    Yes, LOTS of women with weaves, wigs, and relaxers here in the ATL.

Amazingly, just about all my friends are natural or transitioning...so being surrounded by curly girl friends, I haven't experienced negative comments & we are always trading hair tips. I have been noticing a lot more women with natural hair now around ATL, but they are a small percentage.

I have heard of a couple salons in ATL that have experience with natural curly hair: Urbanella, Too Groovy, and Curltopia, there may be others. I have been to Too Groovy salon a couple times. I liked them a lot.
    It is funny that you mentioned Too Groovy. I ran into someone in Sally's today who told me she goes there. Her hair was gorgeous and shiny! The cashier also told me she is natural and loves it, so I guess sometimes you can't tell. I guess it will eventually catch on more. My sister did the BC recently so we are helping each other.
  • cclark1cclark1 Registered Users Posts: 346
    I'm in the ATL and I'm 100% natural. There are so many naturals here!!! I love it. I go to Sharon at Salon Balisi [email protected] . She specializes in natural hair. But there are SOOOOOO many natural hair salons here or stylists who do a great job with natural hair. I use all natural products on my hair (ex:Aubrey Organic and Kiss My Face gel) and 95% of the time my hair isn't pressed.
    Dare to be......remarkable!!!
    cclark1 wrote: »
    I'm in the ATL and I'm 100% natural. There are so many naturals here!!! I love it. I go to Sharon at Salon Balisi [email protected] . She specializes in natural hair. But there are SOOOOOO many natural hair salons here or stylists who do a great job with natural hair. I use all natural products on my hair (ex:Aubrey Organic and Kiss My Face gel) and 95% of the time my hair isn't pressed.
    Really? I guess I just need to do the research then. I live out side of the city, and most around here are relaxed. I will check out that website. I just bought the AO Honeysuckle Rose conditioner and I was um...disappointed in the smell? It really reminds me of relaxer. I hope it works a lot better than it smells.
  • GoddessLalaGoddessLala Registered Users Posts: 351
    I live in ATL, and I've only been natural for almost four months. I haven't been to a salon yet (I BC'd myself) and I'll probably research some salons before going to any. But anyway, I haven't received any negative comments; I have received plenty of positive ones. Being natural gave me that extra boost in confidence!

Peace, Love, & Light,
    Lala
  • curl enthusiastcurl enthusiast Registered Users Posts: 1
    hi, i go to school in atlanta and i'm all natural. I almost never straighten my hair because it's too hard for me to maintain it, so I prefer to be curly all day every day : ) I just started using the aubrey organics honeysuckle rose condish as well, and so far I am happy with it. I use KBB hair milk as a leave in, and a little aloe and flaxseed gel most days, but I just ordered [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] because I've heard such great things about them...hopefully they work for me.
  • mayanredmayanred Registered Users Posts: 5
    I had my BC done at Curltopia is ATL in February. Tas cut my hair and he is very knowledgeable and has over 20 years of experience. When he cut my hair he walked me through every step so that I would understand what he was doing. He even gives you an instruction sheet at the end so that you will know how to take care of your hair after you leave the salon.
  • mayanredmayanred Registered Users Posts: 5
    There is also a Natural Hair Show April 4 & 5 in Atlanta. You may be able to pick up some tips there also.
    mayanred wrote: »
    I had my BC done at Curltopia is ATL in February. Tas cut my hair and he is very knowledgeable and has over 20 years of experience. When he cut my hair he walked me through every step so that I would understand what he was doing. He even gives you an instruction sheet at the end so that you will know how to take care of your hair after you leave the salon.
    Wow, an instruction sheet? That's great. This is all great to know.The next time I go to the salon, it will be for one of my gradual cuts. I plan on transitioning for a while. I don't think my big head would look right with super short hair. Lol.
    hi, i go to school in atlanta and i'm all natural. I almost never straighten my hair because it's too hard for me to maintain it, so I prefer to be curly all day every day : ) I just started using the aubrey organics honeysuckle rose condish as well, and so far I am happy with it. I use KBB hair milk as a leave in, and a little aloe and flaxseed gel most days, but I just ordered [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] because I've heard such great things about them...hopefully they work for me.
    I applaud you for being natural in highschool. I can definitely see times are changing! Well I am glad to hear AO works better than it smells. I guess I will be fine since my leave-in has a wonderful smell. I don't think I will buy the Kinky Curly line until I am all natural. I am itching to try it though, because that seems to be a curly girl staple. I also heard the Donna Marie CoCo Curly Butter is good. It is supposed to be an all-in-one moisturizer and definer for wash n go styles.
  • TrinigirlTrinigirl Registered Users Posts: 159
    Hi!!!

I'm an Atlanta transplant too!!:blob7:

I've lived here for about 18 years. The ladies in Atl love relaxers but I've noticed a change in the humid air :smile: ie more ladies are going natural.

My last relaxer was 8/8 so its been just over 7 months. I BCed and braided my hair last week.

I've visited several natural salons just to get a feel for them. I really believe that natural ladies don't need to visit salons too often. Maybe just of trims, colour and other professional type services.

Curtopia and Urbanbella have tons of products and very helful staff. Khemit Botanicals is relatively upscale but I've been having a tough time getting to meet for a consultation. I find all of the services very prices. I can braid and do my own twists for free at home :silent:
    Trinigirl
    Last relaxer 8/20/08 :afro:
    Mostly 4a , fine hair type, low porosity
    Using all natural products
    http://trinigirl4real.blogspot.com/
  • HappyNappyEHappyNappyE Registered Users Posts: 108
    I am your next door neighbor in AL :) Believe it or not I had a stylist here tell me that my hair would never handle a natural style due to the humidity(ha)! I almost discouraged me but I "pressed" on. I have a cousin who lives there and she has been natural all here life and she flat irons here hair every day. She has APL hair and I plans on being her length by Sept-Oct. I've been wearing a puff lately and it's done well for me especially since I added [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Juices--Berries-p-757.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-juices-and-berries-nourishing-herbal-leavein]Oyin Juice and Berries[/buylink]! I had one friend who had negative comments and I had to tell him to kiss it!
    Mayanred can you email the info on that natural hair show?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *No heat until July 9, 2009(my bday)!* SL Challenge :colors:
    ~shea butta baby~
    :sad9:I'm such a PJ!
    :sunny: Haute & Natural blog
  • SandraDgroovySandraDgroovy Registered Users Posts: 139
    Mayanred, can you post info on this event? I would love to attend.
    Sandra, RN & fitness competitor.

Transitioning since 4/2008, with no plans to BC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sandra-Fields-Fitness-Competitor/115579921807944

event.png
  • TennsTenns Registered Users Posts: 40
    I'm from Atl, and I've suffered the up and down weather all my life. However, now that I'm transitioning its a whole different story. My main prob is my hair just looking blah with the humidity, so i have to keep it extra moisturized. I've amped up my dc'ing to twice a week and have started roller setting. I try not to put too much heat on it, or straightening it much. Its a bit poofier, but I like voluminous looks anyway. My hair is too short to bun, but I would reccommend that style if your hair is long enough. As I mentioned before, rolling setting is really good, and pretty much any style that doesn't require high manipulation. Also, sheen and a holding spray are a must for me.
    ~Tenns~
    On a new hair growth challenge
    Hair type: Who knows???

Learning something new everyday!

http://perfect10beauty.wordpress.com
    http://youtube.com/perfecttenn
    http://twitter.com/perfecttenn
  • virgo76virgo76 Registered Users Posts: 45
    Lorraine09 wrote: »
    I am just curious to see how many of you live in the Atlanta area and how you cope with the crazy ups and downs with the weather. What are your favorite products? Have you had any negative comments about being natural yet? Most of Atl women love their relaxers and extensions, so I am just curious to see what kind of reactions you may have gotten. Also, do you know of any good natural haircare salons in the area?

I live in the Atl Metro area. I am transitioning so I'm not completely natural yet. I have not had any negative comments thrown at me thus far. I have been stalking various message boards looking for products to use during the transitioning period and so far everything is going well. I do either braid-outs or flat iron my hair when I want the straight look. My co-workers actually like my braid-outs. I do my best to keep my hair moisturized (it can be REALLY dry) and shiny. I am currntly using products by Kinky Curly (shampoo & conditioner), Curls.biz (transitioning diva kit) and Mineral Indulgence and everything seems to be working well for me so far.
    Transitioned 26 months - BC - 12/5/2010
    Current - SL ; CBL stretched
    Goal - HL curly

Pre-poo - HV Vatika Frosting
    Wash - HV Amala Cream Rinse or SheScentIt (SSI) Jojoba Hemp Conditioning Shampoo (to clarify)
    Leave-in -
    SSI Coco Creme Leave-In/Green Grape then seal with HV Cocasta Shikakai Oil or Komaza Coconut Curl Spray plus Coconut Curl Hair Lotion
    DC -
    SSI Banana Brulee
    Edges/twist outs - KCCC/Komaza
    Coconut Curly Pudding/Curl Gel-les`c

Still sampling...just the PJ in me:toothy8:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file