another color q...

marinacurlzmarinacurlz Posts: 1,720Registered Users
Is it true you are supposed to color your hair lighter than your normal color so the results don't look fake or too dark?

I have dark brown hair, but in the past dark brown haircolor seem to look almost black to me once dyed.

But now I know not to wash my hair within 24 hours or get it wet for 72 hours thanks to morrighu's posts!

So why does it look darker? Does it need time? Sometimes the ends look much darker too.

Thanks!
http://public.fotki.com/TLGuerrero/

password: curly

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
Average porosity

Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

Current products-
Co-wash: Suave/Vo5/TJ Refresh
Rinse out & Leave in: Suave Tropical Coconut/Garnier Triple Nutrition
Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up/Aussie Tizz No Frizz

Comments

• crazywavescrazywaves Posts: 582Registered Users
    It is true you always go one shade lighter. If you want dark brown use medium brown. You may be able to lighten it up washing it with a sufate shampoo a few times.
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    You need to adjusting your timing. Your hair is very porus and soaking up the color at different rates. The ends typically are more porus. If you're touching up, you should ONLY be doing the roots unless your changing color. Whole head applications of color are to be avoided at all costs. When you color, you should only work the color downt he rest of your hair shaft for the last 3-5 minutes of the coloring process.

Most boxed hair colors come out "dark" at first to account for fading before the next coloring. If your hair color seems dark to you, try a slightly lighter shade.
  • marinacurlzmarinacurlz Posts: 1,720Registered Users
    Thanx ladies!
    http://public.fotki.com/TLGuerrero/

password: curly

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

Current products-
    Co-wash: Suave/Vo5/TJ Refresh
    Rinse out & Leave in: Suave Tropical Coconut/Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up/Aussie Tizz No Frizz

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file