Wanting gray coverage.

marinacurlzmarinacurlz Posts: 1,720Registered Users
Howdy. I'm happier with my natural brown then the ones I have tried in the bottle. Problem is that on both sides of my family you start going gray at just about 30. I am 33 and have grown out gray at the temples and top of my head. My hubby doesn't mind my grays, but I do! I tried highlighting to kinda mask it, it was alright. Is there any other options to just cover the gray? TIA
http://public.fotki.com/TLGuerrero/

password: curly

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
Average porosity

Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

Current products-
Co-wash: Suave/Vo5/TJ Refresh
Rinse out & Leave in: Suave Tropical Coconut/Garnier Triple Nutrition
Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up/Aussie Tizz No Frizz

Comments

• LisaF1163LisaF1163 Posts: 1,079Registered Users
    I've been posting a lot about NaturTint, which I get at Whole Foods. It has more natural ingredients, and comes in a box kit that's really easy to use, cheap too. It totally covers my gray, and my gray is basically resistant to any hair color, even professional salon color. This is the only stuff that works, so I can vouch for it. CG friendly too!
    CG since 1/09. Protein and Mag Sulfate sensitive.
    Hair Type - 3A.
    Co-wash - Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner.
    Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
    Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
    Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.
  • marinacurlzmarinacurlz Posts: 1,720Registered Users
    Oooh, that sounds great. We do have one whole foods in the county, it's like two cities over....about 8-9 mi. I think I'm going to have to give that a shot. Does it effect the rest of your hairs natural color or just the gray?

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

Current products-
    It rocks - it covers everything evenly! Because before I found it, all my hair used to be uneven in color. It would all look even at first. Then after my first couple of shampoos, the color would come right off the grays. Then after a few weeks, you could see a drastic difference between where I'd color my roots and the rest of my hair. It just never stayed blended, even if I had it professionally done in a salon. But this stuff really just stays put, on the gray hairs, on the normal hairs - all of them! It's not damaging, and the only gray that I ever get in is new growth. Oh, and plus, they have a TON of shades to pick from.
    Hair Type - 3A.
    Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
    Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The best thing I've found because it doesn't fade and doesn't affect your natural color is to mix 1-2 T. each of dry body art grade henna and indigo plus 1 teaspoon salt (helps keep indigo from fading) with conditioner in a color applicator bottle like you can get at Sally's, squish it well thru all your hair, put on a plastic cap, wrap in a towel (helps with drips and keeps it warm, which also helps the indigo), leave on for 30 minutes to an hour then wash out.

It gives a little golden color on the grays but since you use dry henna and don't first release the dye (a 12 hour process), it doesn't make them a fiery red like that would. Lasts until you start seeing silver glints again at the roots.

I did it last night using Biolage Hydrating Conditioning Balm as my base, so it was like getting a good DT at the same time (the real thing because it was thick and I had a tub on hand. I won't rebuy it though as I like the knock-offs just as well). Before that I'd always just used Suave Ocean Breeze since it's cheaper and contains no oils. You want oil-free because it can keep the indigo from absorbing and lasting. I wish I could find a thicker cheap conditioner. Any suggestions? You can use homemade flaxseed gel, yogurt, pudding - about anything as a base, but I'm lazy and would rather just find a suitable cheap conditioner.

When I first started henna/indigo, I didn't know about glossing and did the full dye-released application trying to blend greys and old highlights. The highlights picked up a lot of red and wouldn't hang onto the indigo, so I was always having to do indigo-only glosses to keep it toned down. That's why I recently got so much chopped off trying to get rid of a lot of that old hair. Had I known about the above glossing method when I first started, I don't think it would've ever turned so red in the first place, based on how it works on greys.

Anyway, it might be worth considering. If it doesn't cover well enough, you can still color over it, as long as you use body art grade (see link in siggie). Store-bought types can contain metals, compounds and salts that aren't safe to color over.

Blondes might get too warm-looking all over after a while, but it should work for most other colors, especially us brownies. Mine was originally a warm chestnut brown anyway, but I don't think it would matter if you weren't since my greys don't have reddish cast to them, and I've done this all over several times now.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • kema1vkema1v Posts: 107Registered Users
    I agree with auntnett! I also do henna glosses, except my mix is 1 tbsp henna + 1 tbsp katam and I dye-release mine before use. This gives me a reddish-brown colour. But I like the idea of not doing the dye-release to avoid too much colour building up on the previously dyed sections, i'll try that next time.
    Hair type: 2c-M-ii with extra frizz
    Here's how I heard about it in the first place, if interested: www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=view&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS[]=3530

I got some katam/buxus about the time I decided to do just these glosses, so I never really gave it a chance. I used a buxus-only gloss one time before I got the highlights mostly cut off, but couldn't tell it did anything. Ended up having to also do an indigo gloss. I also tried it once with my henna instead of indigo after I started to doing only glosses (instead of 4 hour ye-released root touch-ups), but got even less grey coverage than with indigo.

If you've got any tips for it other than what I've found on the henna boards, I'd love to hear them! It's still too new to them and not a lot of definite successes discussed there.

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • ashatara78ashatara78 Posts: 25Registered Users
    Autnette,
    I don't understand what you mean by dye-release for henna? Is it like soaking it before using it?
    ashatara78 wrote: »
    Autnette,
    I don't understand what you mean by dye-release for henna? Is it like soaking it before using it?

For the plant to really release its dye, you have to mix it with some ort of acidic liquid like lemon, lime, orange juice or water with some citric acid, or even vinegar - although that's not desirable to most because of the smell. It has to sit about 12 hours, less if it's warm, e.g. sitting in the sun (don't use boiling water or try to microwave or you'll kill the dye). You'll actually see a rusty reddish brown color on top of the mixture when it has released.

Using it dry in my conditioner without going thru that process, I'm getting very little of the dye - just enough to slightly color my grey without affecting my natural hair color.

Visit here for a lot more information: www.hennaforhair.com

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    So is Henna only red? I have naturally med-dark brown hair with some natural reddish highlights. If I used henna would I just end up a redhead? Not that that's bad-I just am happy with my hair color just not the grays.

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Current products-
    Yes, henna itself is only red, but you can achieve different colors by mixing it with other vegetable dyes (indigo, cassia, buxus/katam, amla) and various other natural ingredients (honey, teas, coffee, spices, etc.) - see the Mixes page for ideas and photos at the henna site. When you hear someone refer to "clear" henna, they're really talking about cassia, which is a different plant. Black henna is really indigo, also a different plant. You can achieve about any color that is not lighter than your current color.

As you can see from my avatar and fotki, my hair is not red using this gloss, a little bit because I mix it with indigo but mostly because I'm not adding acid to it to cause it to really release its dye. In the older fotki photos where it's redder looking, that's when I first started using henna - about a cup of it fully dye-released, completely covering my hair for about four hours vs. a tablespoon or two, non-dye released, diluted in conditioner, for one hour or less. Even in those older photos, it looks redder in the pictures than it did in person.

Although I was mixing it with indigo (blue/green tone to make it more brown), cassia (to further dilute the red and to give me more mix volume without adding more red), and amla (also gives a slightly browner tone and retains curls), my old porous highlights still picked up and retained more of the red than I wanted (not the case with everyone - my hair doesn't hold on to the indigo as well as the henna). Once I learned about doing just the short, non-dye-released glosses (see my first post above), I decided I wanted to simplify and not have to keep trying to blend in those highlights, so I recently cut most of them off.

The results you now see are very close to my natural chestnut brown (warm brown) color. I'm still using indigo in the gloss right now, but I think I'm going to stop because what little color benefit it initially adds tends to fade on me, and even without it my hair doesn't look too red, neither the brown nor the grey. On some people, indigo lasts about as well as henna, but my hair seems especially resistant to it, just like it was to chemical hair colors.

If you're still interested, I highly recommend ordering the free e-book from the henna site. You'll learn a lot, and it'll make you more comfortable about proceeding with this process that women have been using for thousands of years. I'd first read it (it's not very long) to learn the true scientific basics from an expert then browse the boards for additional ideas and tips - as on most boards of this type, there can be a lot of people who haven't studied up on it just talking out of ther hats, LOL.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    Just downloaded the ebook pdf, thanx auntnett!

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Current products-
    Great - didn't know it was downloadable now. I had to order the CD but at least only took 2 days to arrive.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    So is Henna only red? I have naturally med-dark brown hair with some natural reddish highlights. If I used henna would I just end up a redhead? Not that that's bad-I just am happy with my hair color just not the grays.

Just looked at your fotki and I don't think you would end up a redhead using henna since your hair is a fairly dark brown. My hair is naturally a lighter brown with red highlights. Many years ago as a teenager, I used henna on a regular basis and my hair became very red. I only started using it again about 6 months ago. This time I wanted to stay more brown than red so I read up on mixing henna with indigo or katam and decided to try the henna/katam mix. I only do the henna glosses that auntnett has described and it's been working really well for me. My hair now has a red tint to it, particularly on the ends that were previously chemically dyed and it can look fairly bright in the sun but mostly it's a nice chestnut brown. The grey hairs blend in really well. I'm not convinced the katam does much but I'm liking the colour I'm getting so I'll keep using it.
    If you decide to try the henna/indigo/katam route then you should strand test different mixes first to make sure you like the results.
    Yeah, although it's not fool proof - at least for this fool - strand testing does give you some idea of what you'd get when doing all over full-strength hennaing. Not sure how much you could tell about a low-strength gloss, though. If you try that, be sure you have several grays in the wad of hair you're testing.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    auntnett wrote: »
    Yeah, although it's not fool proof - at least for this fool - strand testing does give you some idea of what you'd get when doing all over full-strength hennaing. Not sure how much you could tell about a low-strength gloss, though. If you try that, be sure you have several grays in the wad of hair you're testing.

True. It was useful for me but I think my method is somewhere in between a full henna treatment and a henna gloss since I dye-release it and leave it on for 1-2 hours. Your method sounds much better for just covering the greys!
    Well, it's working for me so far and my grey's very resistant. I'll be very interested to see if it affects my natural color at all once all the old highlights are absolutely gone.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • Noelle1966Noelle1966 Posts: 87Registered Users
    Ok, I just tried Naturtint for the first time tonight. I used Light Dawn Blonde. It looks as if it has done a wonderful job. I was so disappointed that Robert Craig didn't work for me. The color faded and the grey came back quickly. I am trying so hard to be gentle on my hair after years of peroxiding. However, I have to stay a blonde. My natural color is a hideous mud brown with grey thrown in. My skin coloring goes with blonde so much better. I hope to stay with Naturtint.:flower:
    3A. I like Wella Kolestral. I also like a lot of products made by Nexxus.
    Noelle, I'm really glad it worked well for you! Let me know how your color holds up - mine stays on for weeks!
    Hair Type - 3A.
  • Noelle1966Noelle1966 Posts: 87Registered Users
    It seems to be doing quite well with Naturtint. It was very easy to use and I am happy with the color. Does Naturtint have any peroxide? I know that it doesn't have ammonia. The reason that I am asking is because it was able to lighten my darker roots. I know that I can go with healthier stuff and go darker, but my skin color was really meant for me to be a blonde. I just don't look good with darker haircolor.
    3A. I like Wella Kolestral. I also like a lot of products made by Nexxus.
  • morrighumorrighu Posts: 707Registered Users
    Since their website says that the box contains developer, I'm going to guess that it is a peroxide based developer.
  • VerityVerity Posts: 616Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So some of you use henna on hair that has old highlights? I have been shying away from trying hair color at home again (used to use Natural Instincts, but found it wasn't covering my gray) because all the boxes caution against use on highlighted hair.

The information on henna is overwhelming, and I'm not thrilled at the idea of mixing my own color, but I am fed up with spending $50 at the salon every 3 weeks to have my roots touched up.
    Verity wrote: »
    So some of you use henna on hair that has old highlights? I have been shying away from trying hair color at home again (used to use Natural Instincts, but found it wasn't covering my gray) because all the boxes caution against use on highlighted hair.

The information on henna is overwhelming, and I'm not thrilled at the idea of mixing my own color, but I am fed up with spending $50 at the salon every 3 weeks to have my roots touched up.

Yes, I used it over old caramel colored highlights and the highlights did absorb more of the henna and eventually got redder than I wanted. That's when I got a lot of it cut off.

Had I known about the glossing method originally, I don't think I would've had that much of a problem with the red. Even so, it wasn't a huge problem - I just did an indigo gloss every couple of weeks to tone it down a little. That just cost me a little time and the cost of the conditioner I use for the base of the gloss - a lot better than paying for frequent root touchups if your hair's a color that this might work for.

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file