CurlTalk

CG friendly styling products in UK?!

jennyfurrensjennyfurrens Posts: 708Registered Users
I'm starting to get to grips with the cone-free method, and found a good website explaining which cones are water soluble and which are bad. I've had to get rid of most my hair styling products as they've got BAD cones in them, the only one I have left is Umberto Gianini Curl Friends Scrunching Gel but I've been told the Alcohol Denat (second ingredient) is bad too :roll:

So what styling products are there in Britian that are CG friendly? Am I correct in thinking Boots curl cream (the pink one) is good?

cleanse: OS shampoo. PureNuffStuff cleanser.
condition: Aussie 3MM. Jessicurl Aloeba.
style: B2Basics GreenTeaGel. T&G Curl Balm. JCarter Nourish&Shine.

pw: curlywurly

Comments

• KAnneKAnne Posts: 18Registered Users
    Lots of people on these boards like the pink boots, but I dont. I find it makes my hair greasy looking and weighs it down quite alot, and thats just using a small bit. Stuuuupid fussy hair of mine!

If you have a sallys near you, try Aura Flax seed and alow sculpting gel (Its called Hairpothics now I think). I looove that stuff and really defines my curls if i use it right.

Ive tried sooo many different styling products its a surprise im not bankrupt! It was so easy to buy stuff before i found out about CG cuz I didnt know they were bad for me! It is very hard to find great products that are CG friendly over here, but, as always, trial and error!!
  • littlemisscurlylittlemisscurly Posts: 161Registered Users
    I have the same problem Jennyfurrens.

I have quite liked the pink boots however, although like Kanne it can way down, so I've just started using less.

I'm desperate for a new CG gel, as I'm currently about to starting going CG but I've got loads of Umberto Curl gelle left, and the Andrew Collinge one too, so need to use those up first (they were on a buy one get one free in Superdrug). But I'm definitely going to check out the Aloe sculpting gel Kanne recommends.

I've also got a tube of the Body shop walnut curl defining creme to use, which i haven't tried yet, don't know if that's CG or not though.
    3A hair, very boring brown colour, just over shoulders (aiming for BSL)
    Photo Password: password
    id watch out for the body shop stuff. For a natural product company, they sure do put alot of crap in their products!!
  • AlexaAlexa Posts: 208Registered Users
    KAnne wrote:
    If you have a sallys near you, try Aura Flax seed and aloe sculpting gel (Its called Hairpothics now I think). I looove that stuff and really defines my curls if i use it right.

I bought some Hairpothics a few weeks ago in Sally's, I also bought the condish & they are both really good.
    The condish has dimethicone but it's way down the list & as Im not strict CG I don't mind, the gel is CG friendly though & at £3.99 not too pricey either!
    U.K curly

3A Curly Twirly.
    Golden brown (coloured to cover grey).
    Low poo: Dr Organic, L'Oreal Everpure.
    Conditioner: Dr Organic Argan Oil.
    Leave In: Aussie, Curl Harmony.
    Gel: Curl Keeper Original, Umberto Gianni.
  • jennyfurrensjennyfurrens Posts: 708Registered Users
    I have the same problem Jennyfurrens.

I have quite liked the pink boots however, although like Kanne it can way down, so I've just started using less.

I'm desperate for a new CG gel, as I'm currently about to starting going CG but I've got loads of Umberto Curl gelle left, and the Andrew Collinge one too, so need to use those up first (they were on a buy one get one free in Superdrug). But I'm definitely going to check out the Aloe sculpting gel Kanne recommends.

I've also got a tube of the Body shop walnut curl defining creme to use, which i haven't tried yet, don't know if that's CG or not though.

I use the Umberto too and its pretty good! It only has alcohol denat. in it which is drying other than that its CG friendly. But the Bodyshop walnut oil is a NO NO! I used it and it worked relatively well (not any better than most) but it has the worst cone in it - cyclone and dimethicone too. I noticed it did dry my hair out after a while. HTH!

Kanne, I agree! Before I found CG I bought the Body Shop stuff obliviously, but now I realise they put some nasties in their products!
    And thanks for the tip about the Aloe Gel, I will try that, especially as it doesnt sound too pricey! I have been recommended Biosilk Rock Hard Gel but in Sallys it was £10 :shock: A little over my budget...

Let me know what you girls find works for you, as we are in the minority here in the UK and its hard to find CG friendly products!

I used the boots creme yesterday and it was quite heavy but my hair yesterday was good, although I found my second day hair very heavy and almost greasy looking which is usually never a problem for me. So might use it sparingly or alongside something else...

Thanks for the tips tho!

Well......Im so angry!!

I just went to sallys to load up on hairpothics gel and guess what..Discontinued!! Its such a shame. So..if you want that gel, you better hurry up before they get rid of them all!
  • littlemisscurlylittlemisscurly Posts: 161Registered Users
    Oh no, that's rubbish, thanks for the warning!
    3A hair, very boring brown colour, just over shoulders (aiming for BSL)
    Photo Password: password
    Oh no! :x The Sallys in Glasgow has JUST opened up so maybe they didnt even stock it in the first place :? I'll go check tomorrow, but that is so awful! Why do they keep getting rid of all the good products, just to put more expensive, unCG products in their place?! :evil:

• felix_las_vegasfelix_las_vegas Posts: 10Registered Users
    I'm starting to get to grips with the cone-free method, and found a good website explaining which cones are water soluble and which are bad.

Can I be nosey and ask what website this is? I had a good list of things like this but then I lost it :oops: I also managed to lose my link to the article about ingredients on this site...

Thanks x x
    2C/3A
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.naturallycurly2.com%2Fcurlcolumns%2Farticles.php%3Fid%3D326" class="Popup

there you go :D hope the link works, its a little tempramental.

thats got every type of ingredient and what it is, what its good/bad for. it also has the list of cones telling which is water soluble and which isn't.

HTH! :wink:

• felix_las_vegasfelix_las_vegas Posts: 10Registered Users
    Wow! Thank you for the link jennyfurrens! :D

x x
    2C/3A
  • KurlyPinkKurlyPink Posts: 38Registered Users
    I've been doing CG for 2 months now and my hair is better than it has ever been. It loves the CO washing! So does my scalp. No more dandruff!

I just got Tescos styling gel (the geen one in the jar) for super cheap and I love it. no crunch and great hold. Who'd have thought?!! And it is totally CG!

I use Aussi moist as well but this morning I tried Tescos cheap-o coconut conditioner to CO wash - so far so good.

I use the aloe vera clear gel for skin care (Holland and Barretts) in my hair when it's dry - I don't wet it everyday - and it always brings the curls right back. Add a lavender spritz and my 2nd day hair is great!
    2c/mostly 3a/some 3b, strawberry blonde, long
    Aussi moist conditioner, John Freida Frizz-ease curl gel, Boots curl creme, solid coconut oil, aloe vera gel, Jessicurls aloeba conditioner, lavender oil spritz
  • curly52curly52 Posts: 350Registered Users
    hmmm i might try the tesco's gel lol. Thanks kurlypink
    uk curly - 3a :toothy7:
  • KurlyPinkKurlyPink Posts: 38Registered Users
    Tesco's gel has one water soluable cone, but the rest is ok.
    2c/mostly 3a/some 3b, strawberry blonde, long
    Aussi moist conditioner, John Freida Frizz-ease curl gel, Boots curl creme, solid coconut oil, aloe vera gel, Jessicurls aloeba conditioner, lavender oil spritz
    KurlyPink, i bought the aloe vera gel today after your raves and was just wondering how much you use and how? do you put it straight onto dry hair? scrunch? smooth??
  • FrizzBucketFrizzBucket Posts: 62Registered Users
    Hello!

I've been on CG for about two weeks but unfortunatly today I impulse bought Tresemme Salom Silk conditioner (it was buy one get one free- how could I resist?) It contains some ingredients that CG reccommends such as Panthenol and almond oil but it also contains dimethicone. Does anyone know exactly how bad this will be for my hair? I really don't like throwing out conditioners so do you think I will have to start using shampoo again?

Thank you!

Also I love this thread!! It is so hard trying to find good products in the UK!!!!! :cheers:
    3a/3b In the Uk.

Currently Tresemme Conditioner
    Boots pink curl cream
    Wella shockwaves gel
    :nike:

Embrace the Frizz!!
    heyy FrizzBucket,
    well i think the dimethicone will biuld up on your hair and you will have to shampoo, but how much you have to shampoo depends on your hair and how far up the ingredients list it is.
    HTH
    Thank you curly52!
    Why does its position in the ingredients list effect how much shampoo I have to use?
    :happy2:
    3a/3b In the Uk.

Boots pink curl cream
    Wella shockwaves gel

Embrace the Frizz!!
    it's position shows how much of it there is in the product, so obviously if there is more then there will be more build up. Have you totally given up on CG?
    I really don't want to but my hair wasn't looking good!! I might try again in a couple of weeks when I've stocked up on cone free products. I've been using shockwaves control styling gel and it just leaves my hair really sticky and helmet like....I think I'm going to get some of the Boots curl cream, first chance I get...

How long have you been on CG? Was it really hard at first?
    3a/3b In the Uk.

Boots pink curl cream
    Wella shockwaves gel

Embrace the Frizz!!
    I've been on CG for about a year i think? Well i used to straighten my hair, then i just started wearing it up so i didn't have to straighten, occasionally moussing it and leaving it out. When i first started i didn't really find it that hard, but it did take abit of getting used to. Right now i'm using OS mint and teatree for CO, supserdrug naturals teatree and peppermint for condish, boots curl creme and VO5 mega hold styling gel.
    HTH
  • BecciBecci Posts: 401Registered Users
    Im in the U.K and Im having a nightmare trying to get products ready to start CG with. I was hoping if you could tell me if the following is o.k.

FOR THE 1ST SHAMPOO BEFORE GOING CONDITIONER WASING ONLY - From Asda - Little Angels Conditioning shampoo. Ingredients: Aqua, cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium laureth sulphate, sodium chloride, olive oil PEG-7 Esters, Phhenoxyethanol, glycerin, PEG-80 Sorbitan laurate, parfum, methylparaben, hydroxypropyltrimonium honey, butylparaben, ethylparaben, citric acid, tetrasodium EDTA, propylparaben, isobutylparaben, sodium hydroxide, hexylene glycol, CI 15985, CI19140.

FOR CONDITIONING WASHING - Johnsons Baby Conditioner. Ingrediants: Aqua, Distearyldimonium chloride, stearyl alcohol, hydroxyethylcellulose, PEG-80 Sorbitan laurate, quaternium-18, PEG-5 stearamine, tetrasodium EDTA, Citric acid, sodium benzoate, parfum, CI 47005, CI 16035-(FPT0757)

Heres where I get stuck... as a leave in conditioner I was going to use a small amount of the johnsons but diluted with water (good idea or not?)

As for styling product I was going to use
    Boots pink curl creme but Im confused by this site.(/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wikihow.com%2FFollow-the-Cu...for-Curly-Hair" class="Popup) it states that cetrimonium chloride is non soluble however Boots curl creme does have this in it. So surely to remove it you would need sulphate shampoo?

Please help me, im confused..lol.. I also need a styling product to use so all advice and help welcome.
    From U.K & started CG 13th July 08 :thumbleft:

Using VO5 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie for co-washing and conditioning.

Using Boots curl creme

Considering going Mod-CG and using H&S once a week to prevent build up, flakes and other nastys.:confused3:
  • DoobyDuckDoobyDuck Posts: 18Registered Users
    Becci wrote: »

As for styling product I was going to use
    Boots pink curl creme but Im confused by this site.(/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wikihow.com%2FFollow-the-Cu...for-Curly-Hair" class="Popup) it states that cetrimonium chloride is non soluble however Boots curl creme does have this in it. So surely to remove it you would need sulphate shampoo?

Please help me, im confused..lol.. I also need a styling product to use so all advice and help welcome.

Hi Becci, the cetrimonium chlroride isn't a cone.
    More info here
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curly-q-a/curlchemist-what-is-cetrimonium-chloride

You're correct the Boots Curl Creme is very popular with a lot of curly's. I use it myself - it's cheap and a tub lasts me for ages - but I am looking for a gel to give me a bit more hold.
    UK Curly.

My hair likes or loves

Olive oil and honey DT

AOHR Condish
    Original Source Tea Tree Condish to cowash
    Wella Wellaflex Gel - not available in the UK

My hair hates

Jessicurl, except WDT.
    Boots gel
    VO5 gel
  • monkeycurlmonkeycurl Posts: 35Registered Users
    When I first went CG I just put all my old products aside and started from scratch.

I have recently taken a look in more detail, and whilst I seemed to be correct in just starting again, I was wondering about vitapointe. I used to use it to add shine and calm down the frizz. I was thinking this would be great to scrunch ou the crunch - a very cheap alternative to JC N & S.

Can anyone see anything in here I should be worried about?

AQUA, PARAFFINUM LIQUIDUM, SYNTHETIC BEESWAX, SODIUM POLYSTYRENE SULFONATE, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, PARFUM, POLYGLYCERYL-3 DIISOSTEARATE,SORBITAN ISOSTEARATE, DMDM HYDANTOIN, TRIETHANOLAMINE, LODOPROPYNYL BUTYL CARBMATE, CI47005.
    UK Curly
  • Nectar1269Nectar1269 Posts: 40Registered Users
    I'm pretty sure the paraffinum liquidum is mineral oil and not water soluble - you'd need to use shampoo to cleanse your hair... hopefully someone else can confirm that!
    UK CG since: 1 October 2008
    Hair type: 3A/3B
    Currently using: Superdrug Naturals Coconut and Sweet Almond Condition (co-wash), Aussie Frizz Miracle (conditioner), L'Oreal Nutri Gloss Masque, Boots Curl Creme (style)
    'Don't you know straight hair ain't got no curl...' ~~Prince
  • Mixed CurlsMixed Curls Posts: 18Registered Users
    This is my first post. :love5:

I recently discovered Naked range from Boots. So I thought I'll share it with you. They do a SLS Free shampoo. I've tired the Naked Rescue but I'm not too keen on the scent, it lingers around too long for my liking. I bought Naked Shine (£3.99) yesterday and it's much nicer.

I'm new to this so I'm not to sure about other ingredients in it.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nakedbodycare.co.uk%2Fnatural-shine-hydrating-shampoo-pid7959.html" class="Popup

If any of you ladies have used it before, let me know what you think.
    CG in London, UK.
    Hair type: THICK 4a with hints of 3c, I think
    Cleanse: Naked Shine Shampoo (SLS Free) & TRESemme Conditioner
    DT: Homemade recipes involving shea butter, coconut oil, jojoba oil, honey, eggs amongst other natural products.
    Curl products: KCCC with KT or homemade curly custard, Fantasia I.C Gel (for smoothing edges only)
  • hahgiwoofahahgiwoofa Posts: 87Registered Users
    Just bought Louise Galvin deep condish treatment in tesco, it boasts being -cone, sulfate, paraben, peg and mineral oil free!!! can it be true? and more to the point, is it any good?

If anyone's tried it let me know otherwise I'll leave an update once i've had a few gos!!
    :afro: UK based curly bonce! (Lancs)
    :banghead: silicone, or not to silicone - that is the question!!!
    :wav:
    Uses:
    CG - australian organics (Holland and Barratt) poo & condish, Louise Galvin Deep condish treatment, boots pink curl creme
    non CG - Umberto Gianni pink range, L'Oreal Studio Line Curl Power Controlling Creme
    Still searching for the winning combination!!!