CurlTalk

Dwayne Johnson: A-List Actor?

FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
MSN refers to him as an A-list actor. I'm not sure I agree. He's hot as hell and he's an okay actor, but is he an A-list actor? I don't think so. What do you think? these are the questions that keep me up at night. :) (that and thread blending ;))
[FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]

Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Um. No.

I LOVE the Rock. The question still makes me laugh hysterically. Come on, MSN...

But in the age in which Charlize Theron got a Walk of Fame star (and this was years ago), I'm not surprised.

If DJ is an A-list actor, who's B list? And what does MSN mean, anyhow? He can command big bucks? Or he's a "good" actor?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users
    he would be at the top of my list for those i wouldn't kick out for eating crackers in bed. :love3:

but a-list actor? um, no.
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • MeghuneyMeghuney Posts: 4,263Registered Users
    He's getting there. But I don't think he has reached A-list as of yet.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    I have a thing for him. But I don't think he's A-List.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    No, I don't consider him to be an A-list actor.
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    He's actually a really good actor, but he's not an A-lister. I don't think a lot of people know who he is, nor do I think he's a draw at the box office. An A-list celeb is much more well-known than he is.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    ^^^ They might know him as The Rock but not DJ. First time I heard him referred to by his given name, although I'd followed him for years, I still thought, "Who?"
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,389Registered Users
    He's B-list. I don't like the kind of movie he usually appears in, so I hadn't seen him in anything before I watched Southland Tales. He was surprisingly funny. Both he and Sarah Michelle Gellar did a good job, considering the material they were given.
  • CurlyCurliesCurlyCurlies Posts: 1,641Registered Users
    I can see it. I think that that the 'a list' factor has less to do with actual talent & acting ability (although, I do think that he is a decent actor) and more to do with name recognition factor/ box office appeal. Yeah, few people know him as Dwayne Johnson, but the producers/marketers/whoever know this, that's why they usually find some way to include "the Rock" in the promos.

Women think he's hot, men appreciate the pro-wrestling/'manliness' factor, and little kids think he's cool.

I know some people personally that are planning on seeing "Escape to Witch Mountain" just because he's in it.
    33abhqq.gif
  • FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    I know some people personally that are planning on seeing "Escape to Witch Mountain" just because he's in it.
    FreeCurls raises hand :)
    Well, maybe I'll wait for cable for this one, but still, I will watch whatever he's in if I stumble across it on tv just to look at him. I can't tell you how many times I've see the rundown. I actually paid to see that one where he was a gay cowboy. Hey, he wore chaps!
    [FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]

^^^ the one where he kept slapping his butt cheeks? Hee... I swear that movie scene randomly comes to mind sometimes.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users
    I can see it. I think that that the 'a list' factor has less to do with actual talent & acting ability (although, I do think that he is a decent actor) and more to do with name recognition factor/ box office appeal. Yeah, few people know him as Dwayne Johnson, but the producers/marketers/whoever know this, that's why they usually find some way to include "the Rock" in the promos.

Women think he's hot, men appreciate the pro-wrestling/'manliness' factor, and little kids think he's cool.

ITA with this. When I hear A-list, I don't think talent. IMO many of them are one trick ponies or all around terrible. When I hear A-list, I think of one of the "beautiful" people with big recognizable names they throw in a movie to sell, even if it's a cameo.
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    I think he is an A-list STAR, who also acts. Like, he is very famous, but it wasn't his acting that made him famous.... kinda like calling Keanu Reeves an A-list singer. Although, I guess technically, wrestling was acting.... B+? Is there a B+ list?
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users
    b-lister
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    Noooo, not even close, lol.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    B list, maybe, if looking only at box office. But as for acting or even identifiable "star" quality, I don't know if he'd rate more than C yet.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,455Registered Users
    He's A-list to us UM fans (we support our alumns) ;)
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    auntnett wrote: »
    B list, maybe, if looking only at box office. But as for acting or even identifiable "star" quality, I don't know if he'd rate more than C yet.

my vote was for C list as well.