About Me!

canelabellacanelabella Registered Users Posts: 48
Hi everyone! My name is Dani, and I'm ready to begin my transition from relaxed to natural. I've been thinking about this a lot for the last few years and I've finally found myself in a position where I'm ready to begin the process. I was always so amazed at my friends who went natural, I viewed them as powerful, and myself too weak. I'd make excuses for myself by saying that I was "too vain to go natural." Recently I feel like I've rediscovered myself and I'm excited to continue to explore. Going natural for me, will be a path of self awareness. At least I hope. I expect tears, anger, frustration... but I also know there will be extreme moments of elation and pride in who I am and where I come from.

So, as I said before this journey will be exciting. I find myself stalking random websites and obsessively searching through random fotki albums. My boyfriend finds it a little creepy. I can't help it. It makes me wonder what MY hair will look like.

My mother began relaxing my hair when I was 13. This decision was made after I spent many MANY years begging and pleading with her to do this... I was so happy, my hair blew in the wind. I felt older, & more sophisticated. I was becoming una mujer. As a child, my puerto rican grandmother made me feel like my hair was a curse. She'd always tell people I got it from my mothers side of the family (the dominican side). You know, the infamous pelo malo syndrome that so many latinos have... Mind you, her hair texture is extremely similar to mine. It also didn't help that my fathers other daughters all have very straight hair. One of my sisters, her hair can't curl, even with a curling iron!

Well anyways, I'm not sure what "class" my hair texture falls into. I'd say it could range anywhere from 3c to 4b... I do remember as a child I had varying degrees of curls, swirls, and s-shaped zig zags throughout my hair... :-)

Take care and thanks for reading!
-D

http://members.fotki.com/CanelaBella/
My Fotki

i <3 ao honeysuckle rose.

Blue as the sky, sunburnt and lonely,
Sipping tea in the bar by the roadside,
Don't you let those other boys fool you,
Got to love that afro hair do
.- Corinne Bailey Rae

comic-p.jpg

Comments

• Hakim NuraldinHakim Nuraldin Registered Users Posts: 1,467
    Hi everyone! My name is Dani, and I'm ready to begin my transition from relaxed to natural. I've been thinking about this a lot for the last few years and I've finally found myself in a position where I'm ready to begin the process. I was always so amazed at my friends who went natural, I viewed them as powerful, and myself too weak. I'd make excuses for myself by saying that I was "too vain to go natural." Recently I feel like I've rediscovered myself and I'm excited to continue to explore. Going natural for me, will be a path of self awareness. At least I hope. I expect tears, anger, frustration... but I also know there will be extreme moments of elation and pride in who I am and where I come from.

So, as I said before this journey will be exciting. I find myself stalking random websites and obsessively searching through random fotki albums. My boyfriend finds it a little creepy. I can't help it. It makes me wonder what MY hair will look like.

My mother began relaxing my hair when I was 13. This decision was made after I spent many MANY years begging and pleading with her to do this... I was so happy, my hair blew in the wind. I felt older, & more sophisticated. I was becoming una mujer. As a child, my puerto rican grandmother made me feel like my hair was a curse. She'd always tell people I got it from my mothers side of the family (the dominican side). You know, the infamous pelo malo syndrome that so many latinos have... Mind you, her hair texture is extremely similar to mine. It also didn't help that my fathers other daughters all have very straight hair. One of my sisters, her hair can't curl, even with a curling iron!

Well anyways, I'm not sure what "class" my hair texture falls into. I'd say it could range anywhere from 3c to 4b... I do remember as a child I had varying degrees of curls, swirls, and s-shaped zig zags throughout my hair... :-)

Take care and thanks for reading!
    -D

http://members.fotki.com/CanelaBella/

Buena suerte, mi hermana! Hay que tener paciencia, tambien.
  • littleamazonlittleamazon Registered Users Posts: 71

I'm the exact same way. My mom keeps clling me a weirdo for stalking people's fotkis. And my little sister thinks my hair obsession is sooo boring. But I can't help it :happy7: Nice to know I'm not the only obsessor.

Well welcome to boards and hope to see you around. How long have you been transitioning for? Do you know how long you plan on going for yet?
    Last Relaxer: September 2008
    BC Date: June 24, 2009

4a/b Penspring sized coils
  • curlyreesecurlyreese Registered Users Posts: 2
    I'm glad that your are transitioning i am too! i
    m 18 yrs old and my mama relax my hair when I was 4! and now I'm starting to grow old my relaxer which will take a long time but I think it's worth it! good luck!
  • Nichole23Nichole23 Registered Users Posts: 57
    Welcome to the board and to the other side.
    My mother relaxed my hair when I was 5 or 6 so when I decided to transition I had no clue how my hair would look. But I was determined to love it anyway and give up the relaxers. We're glad you're here!
    2a7y32g.jpg

Natural | BC: Sept 4th, 2009 | Curl Type: 3c
    Fine | Low Porosity
  • canelabellacanelabella Registered Users Posts: 48
    Buena suerte, mi hermana! Hay que tener paciencia, tambien.

Gracias! I'm still learning to become patient, it's something that I lack.

besos y abrazos,
    -D
    My Fotki

.- Corinne Bailey Rae

comic-p.jpg
    I'm the exact same way. My mom keeps clling me a weirdo for stalking people's fotkis. And my little sister thinks my hair obsession is sooo boring. But I can't help it :happy7: Nice to know I'm not the only obsessor.

Well welcome to boards and hope to see you around. How long have you been transitioning for? Do you know how long you plan on going for yet?

Giirrl, trust me you are not alone! I'm trying to get my sister to go natural along with me. I think she'll do it, but I worry that the whole process may be too emotionally draining for her. She's 16.

Thanks for the welcome! I haven't yet decided when i want to finish, ideally I'd like to wait a year, but I already bought hair scissors.... haha I'm thinking of trimming my hair every 2 months to prevent split ends, and to gradually make the transition.... but we'll see. :-)

Take care,
    -D
    My Fotki

.- Corinne Bailey Rae

comic-p.jpg
    curlyreese wrote: »
    I'm glad that your are transitioning i am too! i
    m 18 yrs old and my mama relax my hair when I was 4! and now I'm starting to grow old my relaxer which will take a long time but I think it's worth it! good luck!

My grandmother started relaxing my moms hair at around the same age. When she got to college she went natural for sometime. It may take a while, it may not. Keep your mind on the prize, and I'm glad you're going natural too!

See you around
    -D

p.s. oh, and congrats! You're definitely doing something very daring, and hopefully very rewarding.
    My Fotki

.- Corinne Bailey Rae

comic-p.jpg
    Nichole23 wrote: »
    Welcome to the board and to the other side.
    My mother relaxed my hair when I was 5 or 6 so when I decided to transition I had no clue how my hair would look. But I was determined to love it anyway and give up the relaxers. We're glad you're here!

Thank you for the welcome! 5 or 6? wow, that's amazing! I'm glad you've taken the step to at least discover how you feel about your natural hair. Sometimes I find that a lot of people are too scared to even try. I'm so excited, you know?

Talk to you soon
    -D
    My Fotki

.- Corinne Bailey Rae

comic-p.jpg
  • DivaGyrlDivaGyrl Registered Users Posts: 84
    Welcome! I was definitely like you, I always thought I was too vain to wear my hair natural but this is such an amazing journey. I love trying out new products and seeing what works and what doesn't. Its definitely a challenge, but I hope you have fun too!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file