I'm disgustingly out of shape...

SarcasmIsBeautySarcasmIsBeauty Posts: 5,640Registered Users
and its quite embarrassing! I'm way too young to go up 4 flights of stairs and be huffing and puffing.
I'm in college living on the dorms no less (with no kitchen) and don't have many options. I now have two workout buddies so I will be starting to workout next week.

I would like some suggestions on how to get healthier and in shape! But please keep in mind I am a very picky eater especially since I'm in college and the food here is just gross. Any who what kinds of work outs can I do to get in shape and what kinds of foods should I start testing the waters with? I usually eat cereal or granola bars for breakfast, chicken wraps with lettuce, tomato, & ranch (which is horrible for me, I'm almost certain of it) for lunch, chicken noodle soup or a sandwich for dinner.

If any one is curious I'm 20 yrs old, 5'7, and anywhere from 106-116 pounds (I haven't weighed myself in a very long time but that is my weight range)

TIA!
Turtles: omg please don't put that in your moo moo

Nej: too late... moo moo has been infiltrated.

Comments

• MintMint Posts: 1,143Registered Users
    I'm not a health expert but I just wanted to say that I can totally relate. I do know that cardio exercise helps. Your height/weight ratio and diet sound healthy to me (besides the ranch sauce, which can be used sparingly) btw.
    2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You're pretty slim, so it seems as if you're eating is fine.

For cardio, the Couch to 5k program is helpful. It can be done outside or on a tredmill or on a track. You can go by distance or time. You can repeat weeks as needed. It eases you back into a cardio program by alternating walking and jogging.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • SarcasmIsBeautySarcasmIsBeauty Posts: 5,640Registered Users
    Thanks so much for the link RCC, seems like a good place to start. I really do need to get back into shape, its pretty pathetic that I can't walk up 4 flights of stairs without huffing and puffing!

• badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    It definitely sounds like you're very thin, so I wouldn't worry about eating to lose weight, but rather eating healthier. In fact, if that's all you're eating in a day, you may be undereating and will need to eat more if you're going to have energy to work out.

Dorm cafeterias are always problematic for eating healthy, but sometimes they offer things that are healthier. Do they have fresh fruits and vegetables? Yogurt? Salad bar? Plain grilled chicken or fish? (I lived on plain grilled chicken sandwiches my second semester of living in a dorm because everything else was so gross!)

Do you have a fridge in your dorm room? If you do, you can keep some fruit, pre-cut vegetables, hummus, yogurt, string cheese, and other healthy foods on hand.

Couch to 5K is a good plan, but realize if you're starting from scratch it may take you more than 9 weeks to finish it. I didn't quite start from scratch, but close to it, and I've had to repeat a few weeks because of shin splints and other such things. I'm still making steady progress and am feeling much more physically fit, but it's slower than I thought it'd be!
    I am very skinny but I am not looking to lose any weight. In addition to my meals I do eat snacks throughout the day otherwise I wouldn't be able to function!

I don't like yogurt or fish and the only veggies I eat are corn, tomato, and lettuce. I'm a very picky eater. I don't eat fruits from my dining hall because one time my friend got some grapes and they smelled like piss! So I stay away from fruits and even then I only like 5 fruits. I am trying to get into the whole salad thing (chicken salad of course!) but I'm not too sure about dressing because I like ranch and I don't think its too healthy, everything else like Italian is just so watery I don't go near it.

I do have a fridge in my room and keep snacks in there as well as in my closet. I don't really think I'm starting from scratch because I do walk a lot especially up and down stairs and play some sports time to time but I just get winded quite easily. So I'm looking to do cardio and perhaps some stamina exercises, then eventually get into some strength training. I truly do want to be healthier and luckily next year I'll be living in the apartment style housing on campus so I will be cooking all my meals. I am also trying to ease myself into new foods and stop being so picky, that is going to take a lot of work but at least I'm trying. Thanks for your input badgercurls :)

• shhioshhio Posts: 40Registered Users
    I'm no expert, i agree with everyone here, the only thing i wanted to point out is be careful with those chicken noodle soup, idkn if you are using those you heat up in the microwave but they usually have way too much sodium.
    CG since: 03/13/09
    :love7:
    2B-2C
    Co-Wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    Conditioner: L'Oreal Vive Pro-Glossy Volume
    Gel: Herbal Essences (Totally Twisted)
    Mousse: Herbal Essences (Totally Twisted)
    We have an Au Bon Pain in my school

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file