Honey?? Mayo??? while transitioning

FlashdanceFlashdance Registered Users Posts: 91
Hi,

I am new to NC. As I transition, I would like to know if these two are good picks to use on curly hair. More importantly -how to go about using them??? Suggestions? -My hair is 3b-4a.

I am not-in-the-know at all about honey usage on hair- xcept I know it has healing properties...I have seen honey mentioned on NC. As I said- I am not-in-the-know about this . I would really appreciate if someone could offer tips on how I could use honey as a treatment for my hair. I am all for natural products & kitchen ingredients which help benefit my hair & it's health.

Same question for mayo...I was wondering if anyone used it on their hair? (I used to occasionally when my hair was CPed.)

Comments

• Black Hoya ChickBlack Hoya Chick Registered Users Posts: 185
    i mix honey with my conditioner to use as a thicker leave-in. i also use it in my henna for conditioning, elongation, shine, and moisture among other things.
    Kinky Curly Knot Today = :love5:
    Philippians 1:3

Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/Nigerian-Princess/about/

Current: Natural 3C/4A BSL; Long Term Goal: WL
    34pluo8.jpg
  • DivaGyrlDivaGyrl Registered Users Posts: 84
    I have yet to try mayo anything for my hair, but I've tried honey (as in [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Honey-Hemp-Conditioner-p-860.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-honey-hemp-conditioner]Oyin Honey Hemp Conditioner[/buylink]) as a leave-in and it makes my hair really soft. So far, so good.
  • OnMyJourneyOnMyJourney Registered Users Posts: 140
    I've used honey as a prepoo, let it sit for about 40 mins to an hour or so under a plastic cap and then co-washed and styled my twist and curl. My hair felt extremely moisturized and looked shiny even before I added moisturizer and Lustrasilk to do my twist out.

I've also occasionally added it to my rose water/aloe vera juice/wheat germ oil/glycerin mix that I moisturize my hair with. Works really well.

I DID THE BC ON MAY 24TH, 2009 @ approximately 2:00am!
    :afro:

event.png

• Lorraine09Lorraine09 Registered Users Posts: 126
    I recently heard of mixing EVOO with honey as a hot oil treatment. I have yet to try it, but I heard it is supposed to be good right before you shampoo and condition.
  • morrighumorrighu Registered Users Posts: 707
    1) You can use it as a rinse between your shampoo and conditioner

2) You can use it as a leave in rinse

3) You can mix it into your conditioner

4) You can mix it into your styling products

5) You can mix it with oil of any kind (Jojoba, Hemp, Sesame, Olive) and use it as a hot oil treatment.

6) You can even make your own styling gel and hairspray with it.
  • canelabellacanelabella Registered Users Posts: 48
    I use honey in my henna treatments as well. I haven't quite tried it with other items, but I'm really interesed to find what else it could be used for.
    My Fotki

i <3 ao honeysuckle rose.

Blue as the sky, sunburnt and lonely,
    Sipping tea in the bar by the roadside,
    Don't you let those other boys fool you,
    Got to love that afro hair do
    .- Corinne Bailey Rae

comic-p.jpg
  • Honey503Honey503 Registered Users Posts: 2
    These two are great if your are natural, relaxed, or transitioning.

I use a honey and extra virgin olive oil mixture as a pre-poo for my hair before I co-wash. You dont actually have to measure this mixture. Just make sure you have more honey than olive oil. I heat this in the microwave about 10 seconds.

I put the mixture on my entire head from root to tip and cover with a plastic cap. I sit under the dryer for 30 minutes. If you don't have a dryer, you may want to leave the cap on longer.

When I rinse this out, my hair is extremely soft and shiny. The honey rinses right out and does not leave your hair sticky. Honey is a humectant, which means that it pulls moisture from the air into your hair. You may want to rinse your hair in the sink because the olive oil will make your shower slippery.

As for the Mayo, I made a protein pre-poo for the first time tonight. I mixed two eggs, mayonaisse, jojoba oil, olive oil, honey, and vegetable glycerine together and applied to my hair. I covered with a plastic cap and sat under the dryer for 30 minutes. Eggs and Mayo contain lots of protien and this helps you hair with breakage.

Too much protien can cause your hair to become hard and break even more, so this treatment should only be done once a month. Once I rinsed this out, my hair was soft, and in the end, I had WAY LESS breakage than before.

I have been transitioning for...it will be five months on Friday. I'm still trying to find just what works for my hair because it can be hard to deal with two different textures. I would love to go ahead and do the Big Chop, but I'm afraid that I wont like the way I look afterwards.

I hope my answer helped you.

Miss HoneyBee
  • FlashdanceFlashdance Registered Users Posts: 91
    I sincerely thank each of you for your time & suggestions responding to this thread. I have been at times one degree from taking shears & a bic to my head. Over the last few days I have dealt with severely dry hair. I have yet to use honey as I am hoping to create the right consistency for my hair...Since I am new to this, I am hoping it does not get too sticky for me. :confused1:

I used mayo last night as a hair mask-I mixed with my ever so faithful Ellin Lavar Textures SatinSoft. I also used Aloe Vera Conditioner. I added drops of Juniper Oil to dampen the scent of mayo.

I did a cowash today to combat dryness. This wk/end I am looking forward to shopping for new products for my tresses. I am definitely planning on trying the honey soon.

Again I send thanks & if anyone has any tips or regimes they'd like to pass on- go for it.

:toothy7:
  • Lorraine09Lorraine09 Registered Users Posts: 126
    Honey503 wrote: »
    These two are great if your are natural, relaxed, or transitioning.

I use a honey and extra virgin olive oil mixture as a pre-poo for my hair before I co-wash. You dont actually have to measure this mixture. Just make sure you have more honey than olive oil. I heat this in the microwave about 10 seconds.

I put the mixture on my entire head from root to tip and cover with a plastic cap. I sit under the dryer for 30 minutes. If you don't have a dryer, you may want to leave the cap on longer.

When I rinse this out, my hair is extremely soft and shiny. The honey rinses right out and does not leave your hair sticky. Honey is a humectant, which means that it pulls moisture from the air into your hair. You may want to rinse your hair in the sink because the olive oil will make your shower slippery.

As for the Mayo, I made a protein pre-poo for the first time tonight. I mixed two eggs, mayonaisse, jojoba oil, olive oil, honey, and vegetable glycerine together and applied to my hair. I covered with a plastic cap and sat under the dryer for 30 minutes. Eggs and Mayo contain lots of protien and this helps you hair with breakage.

Too much protien can cause your hair to become hard and break even more, so this treatment should only be done once a month. Once I rinsed this out, my hair was soft, and in the end, I had WAY LESS breakage than before.

I have been transitioning for...it will be five months on Friday. I'm still trying to find just what works for my hair because it can be hard to deal with two different textures. I would love to go ahead and do the Big Chop, but I'm afraid that I wont like the way I look afterwards.

I hope my answer helped you.

Miss HoneyBee
    Do you think the honey to olive oil ratio matters? I found a recipe online that called for more olive oil than honey. I tried it, and I must say I loved it. My hair was so soft before I did anything else to it.
  • FlashdanceFlashdance Registered Users Posts: 91
    I really don't. As long as the honey is malleable- & does not clump/stick.I think it's how you choose to dispense & if you're happy with the effect.

I did honey & banana on my hair about 10 days ago...Save some tiny bits of banana pieces still on my hair (even after the 10th rinse out-LOL) my hair smelled very heavenly & the effect was great. Tho' on that, I would have opted to use less EVOO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file